Mormon denied application to a full time mission RE SSM

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
samizdat
captain of 1,000

Mormon denied application to a full time mission RE SSM

Post by samizdat »

It's in the SL Trib. Apparently an prospective missionary was denied going on a mission due to his view on SSM. Peggy Fletcher Stack is quoting from Joanna Brooks...

He says he was also denied a TR.

When I read the story for myself I couldn't believe it but I remembered one of the TR questions about supporting groups or ideas contrary to the teachings of the Church, and I saw right through the story. In my opinion the SP did good here.

What say you?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Mormon denied application to a full time mission RE SSM

Post by Elizabeth »

I agree that the Temple Recommend and the full time mission should be denied on this basis.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

What about those that feel that government should not have any role in marriage? Should Temple Recommends and the full time mission should be denied on that basis as well?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

During my TR interviews, I tell him that I have friends who are gay and I love them, but I stand with Jesus Christ and the church on the issue. But if there are any groups with which I may affiliate, I say "just Republicans and Democrats." I get a chuckle and then he signs it.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

coachmarc wrote:During my TR interviews, I tell him that I have friends who are gay and I love them, but I stand with Jesus Christ and the church on the issue. But if there are any groups with which I may affiliate, I say "just Republicans and Democrats." I get a chuckle and then he signs it.
One could say "just LDSFF" too....... /:)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I think Captain Moroni would approve. ;)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

JulesGP wrote:
coachmarc wrote:During my TR interviews, I tell him .... if there are any groups with which I may affiliate, I say "just Republicans and Democrats." I get a chuckle and then he signs it.
Not really though.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I don't necessarily "sympathize" with them. I can't remember the actual wording.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Seems a bit extreme to me.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I am really disturbed at how many members of the Church are coming out on the wrong side of marriage issue.

jeanpierre
captain of 100

Post by jeanpierre »

Although I agree with the denying of a TR and a mission call to a member who approves of same sex marriage, I think that If anyone should be denied a TR it is Senator Harry Reid. He criticized President Ezra Taft Benson for leading members astray, to members of the media following a speech at BYU in 2007, and on a later occasion criticized the Church's active support of California Proposition 8.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I want to read the full story.

Also, what about Harry Reid?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

The single-sex-marriage ssm issue is currently before the supreme court. Their decision should be out this summer I've heard, June probably. But should we support the decision if it favors ssm as legal throughout the USA? One possibility is that the Church will discontinue marriages in temples (but continue sealings of those already legally married).
I am glad the Church has drawn a line in the sand vis-a-vis the government; I think that is right per the 1st Amendment. Clearly (IMHO) the Church will not allow same-sex sealings in the temple!!!

SLTrib; here's the article:
Opposing stance on gays costs Mormon chance to go on mission
Published on Mar 27, 2013 11:23AM

A 20-year-old Mormon man says he was turned down as a missionary candidate for opposing the LDS Church’s stance on gays during his pre-mission interviews.

He says he also was denied a temple recommend for his beliefs, according to the online magazine Religion Dispatches.
Recent Posts

Published Mar 27, 2013 11:23AM

The man, identified only as Emmett C. in the Pacific Northwest, is straight but has an older brother and sister who are gay. Last year, the young man applied to serve a two-year mission for the Utah-based faith but told his LDS stake president (an ecclesiastical leader) that if asked about the issue as a missionary, he would share his view that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are equal in the sight of God and should have the same rights and privileges as everyone else in the church — including temple marriage.

The LDS Church’s official position is that "attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is." The 14 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints considers any sexual activity outside of heterosexual marriage to be a sin and opposes same-sex marriage.

Emmett told Joanna Brooks at Religion Dispatches that he mentioned his views on gays to his bishop "because I was afraid of being sent out on a mission and the issue of gay marriage coming up and not being able to preach that it was wrong."

He didn’t want "to be sent home," he told Brooks. "I wanted to get it sorted out before I left."

Emmett’s bishop was sympathetic, he said, but the stake president was not.

"His conclusion was that I would not be able to serve," Emmett told Brooks in the interview. "I would have to fast and pray until I realized that I was wrong and had to change my beliefs in order to support the church leadership in their decisions."

The LDS leader also said he would not give Emmett a "temple recommend," allowing him to participate in the church’s most sacred rituals.

That struck the young man "even harder than being denied a mission," he said. "That meant my priesthood — which I honor — my hope of marrying in the temple. This really brought home the reality of my situation as someone who believes that gays are equal but can’t be open about it."

Emmett broke down at the news, he said. "I died inside. I pulled down the blinds. I wouldn’t even get out of bed for a month. For a long time, during my depression, I was filled with angry feelings."

Eventually, Emmett said, he was able to regain some perspective.

"This experience is just a small part of my testimony, my faith life," he told Brooks. "But I can only imagine for gay people — it’s everything."

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

DrJones wrote:The single-sex-marriage ssm issue is currently before the supreme court. Their decision should be out this summer I've heard, June probably. But should we support the decision if it favors ssm as legal throughout the USA? One possibility is that the Church will discontinue marriages in temples (but continue sealings of those already legally married).
I am glad the Church has drawn a line in the sand vis-a-vis the government; I think that is right per the 1st Amendment. Clearly (IMHO) the Church will not allow same-sex sealings in the temple!!!

SLTrib; here's the article:
Published on Mar 27, 2013 11:23AM

A 20-year-old Mormon man says he was turned down as a missionary candidate for opposing the LDS Church’s stance on gays during his pre-mission interviews.

He says he also was denied a temple recommend for his beliefs, according to the online magazine Religion Dispatches.
Recent Posts

Published Mar 27, 2013 11:23AM

The man, identified only as Emmett C. in the Pacific Northwest, is straight but has an older brother and sister who are gay. Last year, the young man applied to serve a two-year mission for the Utah-based faith but told his LDS stake president (an ecclesiastical leader) that if asked about the issue as a missionary, he would share his view that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are equal in the sight of God and should have the same rights and privileges as everyone else in the church — including temple marriage.

The LDS Church’s official position is that "attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is." The 14 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints considers any sexual activity outside of heterosexual marriage to be a sin and opposes same-sex marriage.

Emmett told Joanna Brooks at Religion Dispatches that he mentioned his views on gays to his bishop "because I was afraid of being sent out on a mission and the issue of gay marriage coming up and not being able to preach that it was wrong."

He didn’t want "to be sent home," he told Brooks. "I wanted to get it sorted out before I left."

Emmett’s bishop was sympathetic, he said, but the stake president was not.

"His conclusion was that I would not be able to serve," Emmett told Brooks in the interview. "I would have to fast and pray until I realized that I was wrong and had to change my beliefs in order to support the church leadership in their decisions."

The LDS leader also said he would not give Emmett a "temple recommend," allowing him to participate in the church’s most sacred rituals.

That struck the young man "even harder than being denied a mission," he said. "That meant my priesthood — which I honor — my hope of marrying in the temple. This really brought home the reality of my situation as someone who believes that gays are equal but can’t be open about it."

Emmett broke down at the news, he said. "I died inside. I pulled down the blinds. I wouldn’t even get out of bed for a month. For a long time, during my depression, I was filled with angry feelings."

Eventually, Emmett said, he was able to regain some perspective.

"This experience is just a small part of my testimony, my faith life," he told Brooks. "But I can only imagine for gay people — it’s everything."
Dr. Jones I'm well studied in my line of work, Architectural and Civil design along with managing large construction projects but I am not knowledge at all as pertaining to laws but that's why I am here, to learn.... You made a comment on other post about HATE crimes and temple work perhaps getting shut down as well as comments on this post. If you have time will you please expand/ expound on what kind of a process that would entail legally and how that could possibly shut down the temples? Thanks.

friendofyours
captain of 100

Post by friendofyours »

Yes, this case really looks like the kind of thing that is setting the LDS church up to get sued into impoverishment... We have a former Bishop in my last ward that is also on the city council. He gave a response in Gosp Doctr. re: 'I just tell them that I will hate the sin but love the sinner' (or similar). I immediately followed with: 'What he has said, people is, in and of itself, a HATE CRIME'! It is 'hate speech' just for calling it a sin. My question then is: how can you even function?' (in the world, within this environment) I think this former Bishop thought he had taken the acceptably "PC" position.

The Relief Society President in that same ward drives to church every Sunday with a gay equal rights sticker on her bumper. She is a lawyer, graduate of Mills and a super-fan of whatserface, the lesbian postergirl tv host... forgetting now. This wench RS Pres has even kept her 'maiden' name for over 2o yrs marriage. her husband was in Bishopric with aformentioned Ad Exec/ City councilman/ former Bish.

Fuzzy thinking all around if you ask me. Anything to trash the least shadow of Patriarchal Order, I guess... So now we are not so much 'racist' in everyones book - but rather we are a church of extremists and 'haters' of course

I am sure I'll get flamed for such outrageously bold speech and calling a spade a spade, but my point is that we are bound to get Supreme court decisions in conflict with Temple Admissions policy and at the same time, offended parties attending Sacrament Mtg just to get a voice recording which can be legally construed as hate speech/gay civil rights violation for prosecution of charges or civil damages awards. Welcome to Sodom and Gomorra (sp?) folks
Last edited by friendofyours on March 27th, 2013, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

BrianM wrote:
JulesGP wrote:
coachmarc wrote:During my TR interviews, I tell him .... if there are any groups with which I may affiliate, I say "just Republicans and Democrats." I get a chuckle and then he signs it.
Not really though.
Most of my "apostate" (or what would be considered "apostate") friends come from LDSFF. :p

I actually just use Marc's line too. ;)

Penstress
captain of 100

Post by Penstress »

friendofyours wrote:Yes, this case really looks like the kind of thing that is setting the LDS church up to get sued into impoverishment... We have a former Bishop in my last ward that is also on the city council. He gave a response in Gosp Doctr. re: 'I just tell them that I will hate the sin but love the sinner' (or similar). I immediately followed with: 'What he has said, people is, in and of itself, a HATE CRIME'! It is 'hate speech' just for calling it a sin. My question then is: how can you even function?' (in the world, within this environment) I think this former Bishop thought he had taken the acceptably "PC" position.

The Relief Society President in that same ward drives to church every Sunday with a gay equal rights sticker on her bumper. She is a lawyer, graduate of Mills and a super-fan of whatserface, the lesbian postergirl tv host... forgetting now. This wench RS Pres has even kept her 'maiden' name for over 2o yrs marriage. her husband was in Bishopric with aformentioned Ad Exec/ City councilman/ former Bish.

Fuzzy thinking all around if you ask me. Anything to trash the least shadow of Patriarchal Order, I guess... So now we are not so much 'racist' in everyones book - but rather we are a church of extremists and 'haters' of course

I am sure I'll get flamed for such outrageously bold speech and calling a spade a spade, but my point is that we are bound to get Supreme court decisions in conflict with Temple Admissions policy and at the same time, offended parties attending Sacrament Mtg just to get a voice recording which can be legally construed as hate speech/gay civil rights violation for prosecution of charges or civil damages awards. Welcome to Sodom and Gomorra (sp?) folks
Oh I wish that rs pres was in my ward. I never get to have any fun. 8-|

friendofyours
captain of 100

Post by friendofyours »

Yes, well, to be in church and have to suffer such in-yer-face fawning / pandering to the socially avante-garde of Babel-on is surely worthy of public comment... to a point. but fool that I am, when I first noticed the bumper sticker (gold equals sign on purple background) I went to the 'husband' of this femme, thinking their college age kid had pulled a stealth move on the old man and the family car.

So I asked him if he knew what the sticker meant. He 'answered': 'what does it mean?'. I said: it's in favor of gay marriage. His response: 'well, we'll have to cover that up' (interesting response, not indignant, not 'how the HELL did THAT happen to our car?" just cover it up... of course, I found out later when I asked him about it again... that he was, ALL FOR IT (in support of his wife's position?) (please know that this ward leader was someone who had baptized my little girl when I was on a 'sabbatical' -ya might say -so our relationship was that of someone my daughter would be looking up to and we trusted these folk to stand for the right, doncha know).

It kinda blew up when I said (a couple Sundays later)... (me not getting that this was actually a stated family ideal of his/theirs) "so did ya get that sticker peeled off? Him: No. me: Well dont be suprised if I sneak over with a black magic marker and color it out for ya! him: Well.... (blustering my name) you just do whatever you WANT!. Now, it gets better... his brother is also in the ward and also a lawyer (but in private practice, not Federal, like big bro.) and he was just down the hall... I said to him: 'wow, yer bro is unFAZE-able!' ya know that sticker on the car (I mistakenly thought) the daughter drives? um,... (he cuts me short in the story) with: yeah, the gay marriage? oh yeah WE SUPPORT THAT. and walks away... okay I am pretty embarrassed.... looking dumb for not seeing this coming and having the gall to bring it up... I could tell from the reaction that this was a previously discussed topic of a family's political stance.

Awkward and out-of-step pariah, me.

I should mention that this (literally) weeps-at the drop-of-a-hat male may be one of those who regularly confuses emotionally-anchored opinion with Spirit-confirmed testimony, and is someone that really goes out of his way to be gregarious and jovial with everyone. Not a physical cream-puff just kind of an emotional basket case during testimony meetings. He is a great friendshipper, out going in that way, and fairly quick-witted type...

Oleo75
captain of 10

Post by Oleo75 »

The Proclamation to the World
" We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

The fact is it will weaken the family unit. I agree that civil unions for the benefit of monetary reasons.....but marriage is between a man and a woman.

I know many of you might argue about gays raising children and all the other stuff that is out there about Britney Spears being married for 55 minutes......but that is where we need to stand.

Man and woman is the only way to be married.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Kudos to him for saying it.

Kudos to his SP for saying, no.

I wonder if there will be a "final manifesto" the church puts out that will call for members to voluntarily draw a line and stand on one side of it regarding many issues, especially this one--and that this will cause the Big Split.

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

The Proclamation to the World seems to be prophetic of what will bring Doomsday.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

ebenezerarise wrote:I am really disturbed at how many members of the Church are coming out on the wrong side of marriage issue.

I agree emphatically

I mean to think that we need the state to sanction our unions

I mean its not like we even accept "earth" marriages as being anything of much value anyway as LDS, although very important.

But permitting the state to say who and who can't be married, why, thats only going to let abuses like when they USA Govt stopped our right to marriage as we required to exercise our freedom of religion

apparently there is something in the US constition about Freedom?

Or is it our Articles of Faith?

Here Here, I agree

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

ebenezerarise wrote:I am really disturbed at how many members of the Church are coming out on the wrong side of marriage issue.
Joseph Smith-Matthew 1:44 Then shall be fulfilled that which is written, that in the last days, two shall be in the field, the one shall be taken, and the other left;
45 Two shall be grinding at the mill, the one shall be taken, and the other left;

Matthew 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them...

See the trend?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Are there any more marriages in temples, or is it all just sealings?

If it isn't just sealings yet, I believe that will be the policy--would gay marriages in temples be an issue anymore?

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

He's not suitable for an LDS mission
he should have known that
he needs to find another way to serve

Not a value judgement, but really, if he thinks gays should be able to marry in temples, what does he think he's doing on a mission?