Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
moving2zion
captain of 100

Re: Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Post by moving2zion »

Ordered mine a month ago from amazon, still waiting. everyone that reads it only has goof things to say about Pontius's book though.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Connor Boyack just posted on Facebook. VoG is now available on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Glory-Ast ... s+of+Glory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also just called Cedar Fort. Looks like the next batch should arrive in two weeks. I guess we'll see...

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

I'm at 31%. So far I love it.
The last thing I want to mention that I learned from this experience is that anytime Christ descends and speaks to a mortal, it is so weighty with meaning that mere words cannot convey the fulness of the truths given. The message is layered. First are the words He speaks, and then there is a vastly larger body of truth you receive spiritually, layer upon layer, more truth than you can understand for years afterward. One small moment in the presence of the Savior can last for a lifetime. This is the reason the scriptures are so powerful, because they contain the words spoken by Christ, and this layered truth is still there, spiritually interwoven with those words. It takes a lifetime of spiritual growth and obedience to be able to receive the deeper layers. They are truly there, and they contain the great mysteries and greater truths He desires that we acquire and enjoy in our lifetime. Any circumstance we find ourselves in, the answers are given within the recorded experiences of people who spoke with the Savior.

This is the reason the scriptures are so powerful, because they contain the words spoken by Christ, and this layered truth is still there, spiritually interwoven with those words. It takes a lifetime of spiritual growth and obedience to be able to receive the deeper layers. They are truly there, and they contain the great mysteries and greater truths He desires that we acquire and enjoy in our lifetime. Any circumstance we find ourselves in, the answers are given within the recorded experiences of people who spoke with the Savior.

Pontius, John (2012-11-13). Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days (p. 65). Cedar Fort, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
I think this part was very insightful. I also think it applies to almost any vision. There is just so layers that you can ponder on them for years.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

Much of the book is about future events, but the section on relationships has value right now, I especially liked this:

My prayer has become, “Let me be your voice, let me be your hands, let me be knowingly involved so that I can be inspired to do thy work in their lives.”

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Gideon wrote:Much of the book is about future events, but the section on relationships has value right now, I especially liked this:

My prayer has become, “Let me be your voice, let me be your hands, let me be knowingly involved so that I can be inspired to do thy work in their lives.”
That is beautiful..... :YMPRAY:

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Amazon just pulled $$ from my account. According to my Amazon.com account, my book will be shipping soon. :)

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

I just checked Amazon - mine says delivery date Dec 17 - YEAAAA!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Mine just shipped as well. Should arrive Dec 20. :)

Canadian
captain of 10

Post by Canadian »

This book was life changing for me and I loved it.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Gad wrote:I'm at 31%. So far I love it.
The last thing I want to mention that I learned from this experience is that anytime Christ descends and speaks to a mortal, it is so weighty with meaning that mere words cannot convey the fulness of the truths given. The message is layered. First are the words He speaks, and then there is a vastly larger body of truth you receive spiritually, layer upon layer, more truth than you can understand for years afterward. One small moment in the presence of the Savior can last for a lifetime. This is the reason the scriptures are so powerful, because they contain the words spoken by Christ, and this layered truth is still there, spiritually interwoven with those words. It takes a lifetime of spiritual growth and obedience to be able to receive the deeper layers. They are truly there, and they contain the great mysteries and greater truths He desires that we acquire and enjoy in our lifetime. Any circumstance we find ourselves in, the answers are given within the recorded experiences of people who spoke with the Savior.

This is the reason the scriptures are so powerful, because they contain the words spoken by Christ, and this layered truth is still there, spiritually interwoven with those words. It takes a lifetime of spiritual growth and obedience to be able to receive the deeper layers. They are truly there, and they contain the great mysteries and greater truths He desires that we acquire and enjoy in our lifetime. Any circumstance we find ourselves in, the answers are given within the recorded experiences of people who spoke with the Savior.

Pontius, John (2012-11-13). Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days (p. 65). Cedar Fort, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
I think this part was very insightful. I also think it applies to almost any vision. There is just so layers that you can ponder on them for years.
Thank you for sharing that...I was particularly struck by the bolded comment.

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

Legion wrote:
Gad wrote:I'm at 31%. So far I love it.

Thank you for sharing that...I was particularly struck by the bolded comment.
I've finished the book now except for the Appendices. Overall I liked the first part (prior to the earthquake) the most. After the earthquake, I thought it was ok except for the Cavern part. The Cavern part really struck me for some reason.

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

What is the cavern part about?

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

Etosha wrote:What is the cavern part about?
Those people that lived in a cavern hidden from the world. If you haven't read the book please let me know and I'll post a better description later when I have time.

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

My book arrives on the 17th!

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

Did you know that you can contact Spencer and ask him questions?

http://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I imagine that by now you all know that John Pontius died on Monday.

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

Mine arrived 2 days ago from Amazon!
Can't put it down... love the part about the special Conference and The Lord working alongside them and then realizing it was him all along...

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Etosha wrote:What is the cavern part about?
What Spencer doesn't say but it's pretty clear is that he is one of the 144,000. In his vision he led a small group up north to a mountain with a hidden colony of people - apparently one of the lost tribes but I don't believe he said which one(s). He said they lived in a city inside a cavern in a mountain and were led by a prophet. They spoke to them of the fulness of the gospel and temple blessings and led them out of their hidden enclave down to Zion. They were a pure but not advanced people who lived in a city lighted by stones similar to the stones the Jaredites had. They had the ability to carve and mold stone and wood through spiritual will/communication. For example they could shape a living tree into a table. Very interesting.

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

It's hard to imagine the kinds of things we'll be able to do in the MIllenium - when you think of God's power and the things He can do anything is really possible. That does sound different but who am I to doubt it. I have a very open mind and try to imagine if this scenario is at all possible and yes it is so I will accept it if I have confirmation (after I read the book) - we can know the truth of all things through the Holy Ghost. From what you wrote I don't think that says he is one of the 144,000 but maybe there was more in the book that led you to that decision.

charlotte
captain of 10

Post by charlotte »

Why is the name Spencer so often put in quotes, as in "Spencer"? Is it a pseudonym or something?

(I haven't read the book - I'm working on FTL right now.)

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Spencer is not his real name. He opted not to use his real name because he didnt want any "celebrity" attention. Can't really blame him there. I wouldn't want to become peoples oracle either.

eric
captain of 100

Post by eric »

Thank you for sharing that...I was particularly struck by the bolded comment.[/quote]
I've finished the book now except for the Appendices. Overall I liked the first part (prior to the earthquake) the most. After the earthquake, I thought it was ok except for the Cavern part. The Cavern part really struck me for some reason.[/quote]

The cavern part was the only part that got me, too..... I am still digesting that one....

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

The cavern part has added to and fueled the most amazing unveiling of understanding for me - I'm hoping to get some things posted about this in the future!

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

Yeah, I was really surprised by my response to the Cavern. I wish I could learn more about that and those people... It is something that I will be on the lookout for in the future.

Stephanie B
captain of 50

Post by Stephanie B »

Stella Solaris wrote:I have a question about something Spencer says at the bottom of page 60. He describes how he physically felt after meeting with the Savior, and says he was rejuvinated, full of energy, not tired at all the next day, even though he'd been up all night and had gotten no sleep. This is the complete opposite of the way Joseph Smith and other prophets describe their physical status after their first few intense spiritual manifestations (using such terms as drained, tired, weak, etc... Joseph commented on this aspect quite a bit throughout his life, in relation to him and others). I wonder why the polar opposite physical results after essentially the same spiritual experience?
One of the differences between Spencer and Joseph's physical state after seeing the Savior may have to do with this: "Spencer" saw the Savior in his spirit body (he had left his body) while Joseph saw the Lord in a transfigured state. (I imagine his body had to recover once the transfiguration was gone). This what I am understanding. ;)

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

JulesGP wrote:The cavern part has added to and fueled the most amazing unveiling of understanding for me - I'm hoping to get some things posted about this in the future!
I will look forward to your comments. Thanks