Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
Halfevl333
captain of 10

Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Post by Halfevl333 »

Just wondering, Reid is supposedly a Mormon, and yet he has supported pretty much every thing that the church is against. Makes me wonder why the church allows such people to remain members...

Silas
captain of 1,000

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Post by Silas »

The church doesn't require members who hold political office to conform to every stated church position. Politicians also represent the people who elect them who do not always agree with Church positions. Church discipline would be between Mr. Reid and his Stake President, General Authorities would not get involved. It is my understanding that Harry Reid is a very dedicated convert to the church. I disagree with him on almost everything he thinks politically but I don't think that warrants excommunication. I always allow the benefit of the doubt for members with whom I disagree, they may simply not understand what they are doing. I believe that love and kindness are the ways to change people. None of us are fit to judge Mr. Reid. Not unless his Bishop or Stake President happen to post here and apparently they have found no reason to remove his good standing in the church. That is enough for me. If they are wrong about that then the Lord will sort it out in his own time.

That is the same way I feel about Mitt Romney by the way. He is another member with whom I have serious disagreements with politically. Some people on this forum are willing condemn them both to outer darkness. I maintain that we are not fit to judge them. We can and should judge their actions and speak up when we feel they are wrong, but we aren't fit to make any judgments concerning their standing before the Lord.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Question # 7:

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Oops! Looks like Harry Reid does not have a temple recommend. Either that or he lied through his teeth to get one. Also, I wonder how Mitt Romney got his temple recommend during those terrible long years of supporting abortion.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

it doesn't matter, excommunication solves little, besides, justice will be taken care of at resurrection ;)

PunaGabe
captain of 100

Post by PunaGabe »

I wouldn't want to press the issue on excommunication with him he might jump on the adversaries side and persecute the saints.Who knows with that guy, way to much power. ;)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Do you remember the incident in 2007 of Senator Reid telling memers of the media that Ezra Taft Benson had led members down the wrong path ? Our stake president at that time told our branch president that the First Presidency was aware of Reid's statements (which were published in the SLC rags). For whatever reason, the Church First Presidency took no action that we know of on it.

Do you remember the report of Senator Reid's criticism of the Church's participation in the California Proposition 8 matter ? For whatever reason, the Church First Presidency took no action that we know of on it.

If you remember the reports of an area 70 planning firesides for Reid to speak at and the ensuing controversy and cancellation of at least some of those firesides ? It appears action was taken to scrub at least some of those firesides.

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

What we do in the secracy of the ballot box in no concern of the church no matter how evil, dispicable or immoral.

Voting is probably one of the most powerful things we can do to our neighbors.

The wicked can leave the ballot box and mingle with saints...the wheat & tares have to grow up together...until fully ripe.

Most mentally ill people in the ghetto tend to vote liberal... but not all liberals are mentally ill nor live in the ghetto.

Post by Like »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: Also, I wonder how Mitt Romney got his temple recommend during those terrible long years of supporting abortion.

Don't be fooled by Mitt's words today. Just google "Romneycare abortion"

Mitt's actions clearly shows he stills supports publically forced funded abortions.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

What we do in the secracy of the ballot box in no concern of the church no matter how evil, dispicable or immoral but I'm sure it is noted by and of concern to the Lord.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Like I said before any church discipline would be handled by Harry Reid's Stake President. Which is why the first presidency will probably do nothing about the matter. They don't roam the church looking for people to excommunicate. I don't know why anyone worries though. No one really gets away with anything. We all face the judgement bar of Christ. I plan on worrying more about how I will do there than Harry Reid.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

JulesGP wrote:If someone who chooses a livelihood that revolves around supporting, growing and recruiting people to organizations that were in direct opposition to the Gospel of Jesus Christ - and furthered Satan's agenda, should they not be held accountable? Seems kind of backward when a person can lose their temple recommend for having a coffee - but not for rallying millions of people to support corrupt evil organizations who blatantly and openly lie, steal, murder, fight Christianity and the church, support homosexuality and other deviant sexual sins, etc... etc.... etc....
:ymapplause:

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

God keeps Lucifer around for darn good reason...he provides a choice.

We need to be tempted one way or the other and Harry Reid and his ilk are doing a fine job at what they do.

They have deceived the nations..."in the valley of the shadow of death" and everything is right on schedule.

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

iamse7en wrote:
JulesGP wrote:If someone who chooses a livelihood that revolves around supporting, growing and recruiting people to organizations that were in direct opposition to the Gospel of Jesus Christ - and furthered Satan's agenda, should they not be held accountable? Seems kind of backward when a person can lose their temple recommend for having a coffee - but not for rallying millions of people to support corrupt evil organizations who blatantly and openly lie, steal, murder, fight Christianity and the church, support homosexuality and other deviant sexual sins, etc... etc.... etc....
:ymapplause:

Thank you!

Let me add

“Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore . . . do your business by the voice of the people.” (Mosiah 29:26.)

In a word, we must seek for statesmenlike men who will ask, “Is it right and is it good for the country or the community?” instead of those who may merely ask, “Is it politically expedient?”

however!!!!

Wherever you are, wherever you live, pray for the leaders of your country, for remember that they too hold in their hands all that you hold dear. Again I repeat the Lord’s injunction: “… be subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign, and subdues all enemies under his feet.” (D&C 58:22.)

Persons in power in some nations have stolen public and private property so they could live in luxury. At the same time, they have neglected the most basic needs of the hungry and homeless among their people.

ome private citizens have promoted poverty by stealing, by corrupting public officials, and by oppressing the poor and defenseless.
Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain. …

“The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy.” (Ezek. 22:27, 29.)

. The prophet Nephi warns against another kind of deception: “And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell” (2 Ne. 28:21).

“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Cor. 6:9–10).

Perhaps they think no one will ever know. But God always knows. And He has repeatedly warned that the time will come when “[our] iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and [our] secret acts shall be revealed” (D&C 1:3; see also Morm. 5:8; D&C 38:7).

Mackingster
captain of 100

Post by Mackingster »

The film director, Neil LaBute got excommunicated for a lot less then what Reid is doing. That is why Reid's membership is a little baffling to me.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Mackingster wrote:The film director, Neil LaBute got excommunicated for a lot less then what Reid is doing. That is why Reid's membership is a little baffling to me.
Who is Neil LaBute and what did he get excommunicated for?

Mackingster
captain of 100

Post by Mackingster »

gkearney wrote:
Mackingster wrote:The film director, Neil LaBute got excommunicated for a lot less then what Reid is doing. That is why Reid's membership is a little baffling to me.
Who is Neil LaBute and what did he get excommunicated for?
Here is his filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001438/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He had some LDS characters who were less then faltering in some of his works. In his defense he was basing lot of that on jack Mormons had known over the years.

Noahnuff
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Noahnuff »

You all are basing this discussion on Reid's stance on political and policy issues. I base my call for an ecclesiastical court upon something way more tangible ---- dishonesty.

Do you remember when Brother Reid told the nation that a particular person "has an FBI file" knowing that that would tarnish the man's reputation generally because so few people understand that having an FBI file does not mean a person is suspect of anything? My father ran for the U.S. Senate twice and was a member of the Federal Reserve. He has an FBI record. And no criminal history whatsoever for a lifetime.

Now, the comments (just factually wrong but as with the previous example, deceptive) about Mitt Romney. It is perfectly legal to maintain deposits in off-shore accounts. But Reid calls it "hiding" money instead of "protecting money.

Might I surmise that Romney was one of those LDS contributors to the private charitable fund that staved off a pandemic in Africa when the government was unable or unwilling to act in a timely manner?

If you know Brother Reid's Ward and Stake, please share.

It is inappropriate to call for anyone's excommunication. But not to file charges and request an ecclesiastical court. It is also highly inappropriate for anyone in our church, at ANY level, to allow Brother Reid to provide firesides when he is so actively a political partisan on record supporting policies that are diametrically opposed to fundamental principals of the gospel. Nevada will be an important swing stake. The church should not have Romney or Reid give firesides during this political election cycle.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

not "polically corret", besides, it's the telestial world we live in :D

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Halfevl333 wrote:Just wondering, Reid is supposedly a Mormon, and yet he has supported pretty much every thing that the church is against. Makes me wonder why the church allows such people to remain members...
Our current Bishop, his 1st counselor, the ward exec. secretary, the High Priest group leader, and all their wives are all very vocal Obama, Planned Parenthood, and gay rights supporters. Not only are they not "allowed to remain members", in our ward at least, they are put in the highest leadership positions. Go figure.

(By the way, Halfevl333, I have a t-shirt that says "333 I'm only half evil" - I love it! :p )

Noahnuff
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Noahnuff »

Again, brothers and sisters. MY problem with Harry Reid is not based on his stances but his dishonesty in his business dealings (his business is politics), that is, how he advances his stances. That is a historic, reasonable and appropriate basis for an eccelsiastical court. To whom much is given, much is expected -- Reid should not get a pass because it helps the church to have someone with his power to be in the position he holds.

jeanpierre
captain of 100

Post by jeanpierre »

It appears the Church leadership has elected to ignore Senator Reid's criticism to the media of President Benson. I consider Reid guilty of treason because of his constant undermining of the constitution, although I don't expect much agreement on that. But we were told by President McKay years ago that we should look with scorn upon anyone who undermines the constitution.

lancef1
Hi, I'm new.

Post by lancef1 »

I am a convert of 4 years and quite frankly am appalled by the behavior demonstrated by Harry Reid. He has failed to demonstrate any Christ like behaviors. His practice of lies and bearing false witness against others is the worse I have ever seen. If I acted the way he does, I know I would be disciplined and excommunicated if I didn't repent.

The double standard makes me sick and tempts me to say adios to the church. Makes me wonder if I could do better on my own. Everyone at church gets so weird and squishy when it comes to politics. Joseph Smith was politically active and opinionated. Now the laws of the land are being destroyed and people like Mr. Reid are allowed to do whatever they please. What happened? I agree with Noahnuff, Jules GP, Mackingster, Stella Solaris & most of the others.

Chicagoelder
captain of 50

Post by Chicagoelder »

In my opinion if Harry Reid is not living the Gospel and keeping his covenants...he has in a sense excommunicated himself.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Why are we calling out for anyone to be excommunicated? :-\

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

I am with Small Farm. While unfortunately sometimes the COB does run around the country seeking to excommunicate people ( See the Sept 6 and DS) in general disciplinary issues are the province of the common judge in Israel, the local bishop or Stake President. Some of you sound like the Spanish Inquisition , actively seeking out those whose actions don't comport with your political ,ethical or social views and seeking to punish them.I would be careful what you want. I would be more charitable and forgiving if I were you. We are judged ourselves with the same judgement we would impose on others. We should want to lift sinners up and cloth them with a mantle of love and charity ,not seek their spiritual destruction or banishment. Remember the woman caught in adultery .