Heber C. Kimball prophecy about the Last Days...

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
creator
(of the Forum)

Heber C. Kimball prophecy about the Last Days...

Post by creator »

"An Army of Elders will be sent the the four quarters of the earth to search out the righteous and warn the wicked of what is coming. All kinds of religions will be started and miracles performed that will decieve the very elect if that were possible. Our sons and daughters must live pure lives so as to be prepared for what is coming.

"After a while the gentiles will gather by the thousands to this place, and Salt Lake City will be classed among the wicked cities of the world. A spirit of speculation and extravagance will take possession of the Saints, and the results will be financial bondage.

"Persecution comes next and all true Latter-day Saints will be tested to the limit. Many will apostatize and others will be still not knowing what to do. Darkness will cover the earth and gross darkness the minds of the people. The judgments of God wil be poured out on the wicked to the extent that our Elders from far and near will be called home, or in other words the gospel will be taken from the Gentiles and later carried to the Jews.

"The western boundary of the State of Missouri will be swept so clean of its inhabitants that as President Young tells us, when you return to that place, there will not be left so much as a yellow dog to wag his tail.

"Before that day comes, however, the Saints will be put to tests that will try the integrity of the best of them. The preasure will become so great that the more righteous among them will cry unto the Lord day and night until deliverance comes.

"Then the prophet and others will make their appearance and those who have remained faithful will be selected to return to Jackson County, Missouri, and take part in the upbuilding of that beautiful city, the New Jerusalem. (Prophesy of Heber C. Kimball, Deseret News, May 23, 1931.) (Also quoted in Prophesy and Modern Times by W. Cleon Skousen pp. 31-32)

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

I rejoice in plainness!!!

There is much in the first two lines...that may have already been fulfilled.

One could argue that "an army of elders" is presently out. I don't know how much they "warn the wicked of what is coming". Perhaps there will have to be a change in focus of the message before this prophesy will be fulfilled. Perhaps it is already a focus...in the Doctrine and Covenants 84:117 the Lord told his servants...

"And verily I say unto you, the rest of my servants, go ye forth as your circumstances shall permit, in your several callings, unto the great and notable cities and villages, reproving the world in righteousness of all their unrighteous and ungodly deeds, setting forth clearly and understandingly the desolation of abomination in the last days."

Certainly there are "all kinds of religions" and "miracles being performed" that do "decieve the very elect".

"Gentiles" have gathered to Salt Lake City...and certainly there is much wickedness there. The saints have certainly fallen prey to a "spirit of extravagance" as they buy all their toys as they try to keep up with the jones'. They are certainly in "financial bondage"...with their record bankruptsies.

If this has all happened already then... "persecution comes next"!!

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

What is interesting to me is that the spirit of speculation leads to financial bondage which leads to persecution, and not just any persecution. We know that it will be worse for us than in previous times.

The fact that it begins with financial things leads me to think that the oppressors must represent financial interests or work for them knowingly or not.

One of the things that gets me is the "all true saints" part. Why would he specify that "true" saints would be tested to the limit? That tells us something about the nature of the test.

An interesting note is that if "all true saints will be tested to the limit" wouldn't you think that "all true saints" were the ones out of debt and prepared as per the prophets pleadings? So why specify them?

Any thoughts then to the nature of the test?

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

A monetary test may very well come down to the "mark of the beast" which could be the verichip...which is on the news on a regular basis. A person who has no way to eat but to "buy and sell" may see no harm in taking the mark...as "I see no difference between this and having a ss number...or debit card....why is this any different!!" This could be quite devisive.

I have been thinking some time of the MANY MANY times that the Lord has tested his people with war. He often leads his servants to do things that make "militarily" NO SENSE!!

Moses leading the slaves to the sea to die! David fighting Goliath!! Gidgidonni telling his people to gather together and wait. The reduction of Gideons army to 300!! Stripling warriors fighting and winning! On and on...he tests his people to find out if they believe that HE fights our wars...or is it the "machines of steel". It is a topic that could rip the church in half if the situation was pressing enough.

Perhaps it will not be one thing...but many. Maybe even polygamy will come back!! Time will tell!

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

From the notes on the next 25 years by Skousen.

"Now John describes the rise of the second world dictatorship under Gog, prince of the Gentiles. (Rev. 13: 11 - 18; Ezekiel 38: 2 - 12). Any who do not support the dictatorship are killed. (Revelation 13: 15). Gog’s followers receive a mark in their hand and their forehead. No one can buy or sell without this mark. (Revelation 13: 17). However, Gog does not dare to attack Zion or America. (D&C 45: 70)."

I believe this to be the case reletive to the mark of the beast. I tend therefore to rule it out as THAT test.

Clearly the test will cause apostacy among those now classed as true saints. After hearing the first session of conference and contemplating martyrdom I suppose that it may come down to that end for many.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps you understand these scriptures better than I do. I read the same scriptures and it seems to me it does support that it could be one of the tests. Is it because of timelines? Also...I don't see how D&C 45:70 says anything about "America"...just Zion.

I sincerely want to understand.

Stephen

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

I would not say that I understand it better. I understand it differently, but I lack the arrogance to assume then that it is I who is correct. My statement was based upon Cleon Skousen's view from which I derive that the second beast spoken of is the beast that makes war upon Israel. Gog, Magog who causes the mark. It is he who assaults Israel. Section 45 in the Doctrine and Covenants is full of the understanding that Zion will be protected. There are many prophecies that speak of only the righteous or upright of heart dare go upon the waters, that world leaders will flock to Zion and the wicked ones will see it from afar and turn and run.

I think the argument hangs by the conjecture that if Zion is thus preserved, who is it preserved from if not the last beast which makes war on Israel and falls to the coming of the Lord? If that moment ushers in the great Millenial reign of the Savior then at what point was Zion thus preserved from her enemies if she was tormented with the mark of the beast etc...?

I believe that the first beast will or has arise/n and make war against the saints. It will ultimately be dashed by it's own mechanism. (exa. Soviet Union fell by the pressures of money and war) but it will rise again! The saints however will form Zion and thus overcome (whether here or there.) Zion will be a safe haven during the reign of the second beast. Perhaps this is an erroneous conclusion but certainly will be the case during the latter portion of his reign.

Perhaps we are going around in circles and I am missing something, or my conjecture is wrong?

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

In regards to Zion vs. America, I do not draw a distinction due to the fact that the waters will form the gulf between the wicked and righteous (like in Lehi's vision) Those waters I believe are the oceans and thus will protect Zion as the New Jerusalem, but likewise Zion as North and South America.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

You may be right on track. It looks like I have some studying to do! I cannot confirm or deny your assertions. You have intrigued me though! You'll have to give me some time to form a stronger opinion on this topic...that is actually based on study...not guessing. :)

creator
(of the Forum)

skousen and the mark

Post by creator »

My statement was based upon Cleon Skousen's view from which I derive that the second beast spoken of is the beast that makes war upon Israel. Gog, Magog who causes the mark. It is he who assaults Israel.
...and also based on what W. Cleon Skousen taught, those who really experience the full effect of the mark of the beast (666) would be in the east, and that this would be during the time in which here in America we have already experienced "the cleanse" and are starting to build of Zion. At this time the countries of the east will be seperated from us (most likely the Seas will be too dangerous) and not able to come to America. Dr. Skousen said we will definitely go through some bad times in America but most of the conflict in America will be over by the time the beast reigns in the east.

DocsWifeIdaho
captain of 50

Re: Heber C. Kimball prophecy about the Last Days...

Post by DocsWifeIdaho »

"ALL TRUE SAINTS WOULD BE OUT OF DEBT"????

I dont know who made you judge! There are some of us in grad school owing 175k becuase the Lord said to change careers and confirmed in miraculous ways that this was the way to go! FULL WELL KNOWING we would obtain this amount of debt to do it!!!!!!

Some debt is ok'd.......obviously.....or his commandments would not be fulfilled. We were told this was right and to do it!!!!!!! Now how to pay it, we let the Lord worry about that. We did as he commanded.

True saints.......debt free. I AM a TRUE Saint and I owe 175k becuase I was BEING true!!!!!!!!

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

DocsWifeIdaho wrote:"ALL TRUE SAINTS WOULD BE OUT OF DEBT"????

I dont know who made you judge! There are some of us in grad school owing 175k becuase the Lord said to change careers and confirmed in miraculous ways that this was the way to go! FULL WELL KNOWING we would obtain this amount of debt to do it!!!!!!

Some debt is ok'd.......obviously.....or his commandments would not be fulfilled. We were told this was right and to do it!!!!!!! Now how to pay it, we let the Lord worry about that. We did as he commanded.

True saints.......debt free. I AM a TRUE Saint and I owe 175k becuase I was BEING true!!!!!!!!
Whoa there. I think you took that statement a little out of context.

Ever heard of the song, "you're so vain"? I love the line, "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you."

If Ones actions are truly a result of inspiration for the Lord, just ignore, or look a little harder at the context of what was said. When folks get offended at things that were not said about them, it makes them look like those that "find the truth to be hard".

I have not heard that some debt is ok. Could you elaborate on which Prophet said that and where? Thanks

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I believe it has been said numerous times that debt for a house is OK and if need be, transportation. I'm almost certain schooling was in there too, but I'll have to check around when I get time.

DocsWifeIdaho
captain of 50

Post by DocsWifeIdaho »

Well, vain after puting my husband thru grad school to be a doctor.....well I will accept that. Its not really vanity-its exhaustion!!!!!

Yes, education IS among the debts that are ok'd by the church. Along with a MODEST house. I see no modest homes in Utah. hahaha I am shocked at how that has changed.

I get sick of the self righteous folks I hear who have all their supply and are all out of debt but have had NOT the challenges that many have had who have strived to just keep their head above water. That would be us. We have a yrs supply...but the debt is there and that is becuase my husband hasnt worked in 6 yrs and I am NO bread winner..my measley income is a joke. Though I work for a Dr.

I think the challenges for many WITHOUT debt and WITH their food is to share with folks who DONT have but were trying.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

Could I get some quotes where they said it was ok? Here is one where it says it is not:

My remarks are directed more particularly to my brethren who
are engaged in agricultural pursuits. Israel has always been an
agricultural and pastoral people. We are told that about fifty millions
of dollars of our securities are now in the possession of the Federal
Reserve Bank. The past we cannot well remedy, but we can, so far
as the future is concerned, profit by its experiences. I feel that
every mother of a family is entitled to a home, to shelter her and
her children, upon which there is no mortgage, and I plead with
my brethren to keep mortgages from their farms and homes so far
as it is possible.

- President Anthony W. Ivins
General Conference, October 1921

blakwatch
captain of 100

Post by blakwatch »

Just like the discussions in the threads about women staying home, etc., obviously no debt is the ideal that the church advocates that is increasingly in conflict with modern reality.

As discussed in at least one of those threads, the pattern is well established, all the way back at least to Moses, that the Lord gives us laws and standards that we, as a people, struggle to live, so he relaxes them.

If this were not the case, we would all be living the Law of Consecration, United Order, etc., among other things.

Even though no debt is still the ideal, when it comes to education even the Church facilitates and enables debt.

How do you think the Perpetual Education Fund works? Same as the original Perpetual Immigration Fund.

They aren't grants. The Church expects the assistance to be re-paid, following completion of education which enables one to better one's station and position in life, and be in a better position to re-pay the debt, not to mention be in a better position to serve in the kingdom.

In addition to member donations, etc., that are made to the fund, repayment of the borrowed funds is what makes the fund perpetual. As new money goes out, old money comes in from re-payment of existing loans.

Even beyond that, and you can argue theory and ideals until you're blue in the face, but very few really successful businesses can or do operate without at least some debt.

Capital is required to make things happen. No capital, nothing happens. And many times, the only way to capitalize business, including start-up, expansion, etc., is with a certain amount of debt.

Not everyone works a job, and relies on someone else for a paycheck. Very, very few jobs, including government jobs (what do think government bonds are?) would exist without debt. In private enterprise, somewhere, at some level, someone has usually had to stick their neck out and borrow some money to make things happen -- to provide jobs, employment, benefits, etc., to everyone else.

In an ideal world, there would be no debt. But we don't live in an ideal world. We don't live in a black and white world. And we have to figure out how to function and get by in the world we live in.

Some people are able to situate their lives in such a way as to completely avoid debt. That doesn't work for everyone.

The bottom line is, if personal debt can't reasonably be avoided, it should be kept to a minimum and managed very carefully.

But, it's probably best for most people to judge their own situation, and avoid judging others until they've walked in their shoes.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

HORRAY!!! We don't live in the ideal world, so I can throw the laws of God out the window!!!!

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Kudos blakwatch. That was an excellent synopsis.

Now who's being difficult Bircher?

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." 2 Cor. 3:6.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Bircher wrote:HORRAY!!! We don't live in the ideal world, so I can throw the laws of God out the window!!!!
HOORAY!!! God said thou shalt not kill, yet God also said on occasion it's OK to kill!!!! God can throw His own laws out the window sometimes (and I'm commanded to be like Him???). If only we lived in an ideal world, eh?

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

Mark wrote:
Now who's being difficult Bircher?
Don't know how I was being difficult. Sure there are exceptions to rules, but everyone treats mortgages and student loans as universal permanent exceptions, when they are not.

I am not judging anyone, I am judging logic that brings false conclusions.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

blakwatch wrote: As discussed in at least one of those threads, the pattern is well established, all the way back at least to Moses, that the Lord gives us laws and standards that we, as a people, struggle to live, so he relaxes them.

If this were not the case, we would all be living the Law of Consecration, United Order, etc., among other things.
These are examples of rejection by the people, and the lord was forced to give us the lower law. These are not excuses to choose an easier way.

'And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.' -1 Samuel 8:7

If we would stop demanding the proverbial king, the Lord would not have keep lowering the bar, and our blessings as a people could multiply greatly.

DOZ
captain of 100

Post by DOZ »

DocsWifeIdaho wrote:Well, vain after puting my husband thru grad school to be a doctor.....well I will accept that. Its not really vanity-its exhaustion!!!!!

Yes, education IS among the debts that are ok'd by the church. Along with a MODEST house. I see no modest homes in Utah. hahaha I am shocked at how that has changed.

I get sick of the self righteous folks I hear who have all their supply and are all out of debt but have had NOT the challenges that many have had who have strived to just keep their head above water. That would be us. We have a yrs supply...but the debt is there and that is becuase my husband hasnt worked in 6 yrs and I am NO bread winner..my measley income is a joke. Though I work for a Dr.

I think the challenges for many WITHOUT debt and WITH their food is to share with folks who DONT have but were trying.

You have great points. Although I don't know anyone who has not strived to keep their heads above water, I pray that those who haven't strived help those in need as we are suppose to.

As for the challenge of sharing our food with those who wont be ready when the time comes to use it because of the great calamities, I believe that is true and I may be one of them. I would find it very difficult to share with those who knew but were busy buying worldly material but I would not find it hard to share with those who had no such knowledge. But I have made a promise to Father that I will listen to the spirit.
He will guide me and he will let me know those ones I will need to share with.

I truly believe we all need to get ready, imho I believe that before the end of this year, we will clearly witness the parable of the ten virgins.

I pray I have not offended anyone with my thoughts, far is that from my intentions.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

If food is "limited" then sharing food will be a moral dillema. You may have the luxury of picking and choosing whom to help.
If food is "unavailable" mobs will more than likely eat all of your food by a forced hand of generosity on your behalf...or they will kill you to get what they want....or of course the government may very well just take your food.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

I will retain my firm anti-mob stance.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

jbalm wrote:I will retain my firm anti-mob stance.
What do you mean?

Do you mean that when 200 of them show up at your house throwing bricks through your windows demanding your food that you are going to tell them "Sorry everybody...I'm anti-mob...you can all go home!"

Or do you mean that you think that you can defend your family in place for an extended length of time?

Or do you mean that you will not be in a mob taking others food?