Grocery Prices 2008 vs 2012

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Grocery Prices 2008 vs 2012

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Thought this would be of interest to some on the site. I wanted to upload the chart but there isn't that option here. The first number is 2008, second 2012, and third is percentage change.

2008 2012
Gallon of Milk $2.16 $4.59 -113%
Pound of Butter $1.95 $5.19 -166%
Pound of Rice $1.10 $2.00 -82%
5 Lb Bag Sugar $2.68 $3.79 -41%
Pound of Potatoes $0.32 $1.30 -306%
5 Lb Bag Flour $1.97 $3.49 -77%
Dozen Eggs $1.29 $2.19 -70%
2 Lb Coffee $5.49 $13.69 -149%
Pound of Ground Meat $3.68 $7.98 -117%

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Grocery Prices 2008 vs 2012

Post by Col. Flagg »

sadie_Mormon wrote:Thought this would be of interest to some on the site. I wanted to upload the chart but there isn't that option here. The first number is 2008, second 2012, and third is percentage change.

2008 2012
Gallon of Milk $2.16 $4.59 -113%
Pound of Butter $1.95 $5.19 -166%
Pound of Rice $1.10 $2.00 -82%
5 Lb Bag Sugar $2.68 $3.79 -41%
Pound of Potatoes $0.32 $1.30 -306%
5 Lb Bag Flour $1.97 $3.49 -77%
Dozen Eggs $1.29 $2.19 -70%
2 Lb Coffee $5.49 $13.69 -149%
Pound of Ground Meat $3.68 $7.98 -117%
Just wanted to point out one minor correction - the % change for butter is actually 266%, not 166%. What kills me is how the feds come out with (annually): 'inflation was contained at 2% this past year'. =)) But maybe that's because federal salaries keep rising at the rate of inflation. :ymsick: :))

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Where the heck does that person shop? City Creek Mall :))

A pound of butter is, as of yesterday, $2.19/lb, not $5.19. A week or so ago I paid .79 for a dozen eggs. Granted they were on sale but normally they're in the very low dollar range. $1.29-ish- same as 5 yrs ago. I'm not sure on the other prices but they seem extremely high.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I would like to see the price change for peanuts and peanut butter.

In any case, it seems clear that it will be harder for people to obey and get their 3-month and long-term supplies of food the longer they wait.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

shadow wrote:Where the heck does that person shop? City Creek Mall :))

A pound of butter is, as of yesterday, $2.19/lb, not $5.19.

I was at our local Wal-Mart last Saturday grocery shopping and a tub of 'I can't believe it's not butter' was $8.39 (that was 64 oz. I believe), so $4.19 a pound.

A week or so ago I paid .79 for a dozen eggs.

We haven't paid less than $1.19 for a dozen eggs in quite a while. Anyone ever had eggs poached? Good stuff! :)

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

A pound of butter is, as of yesterday, $2.19/lb, not $5.19. A week or so ago I paid .79 for a dozen eggs. Granted they were on sale but normally they're in the very low dollar range. $1.29-ish- same as 5 yrs ago. I'm not sure on the other prices but they seem extremely high.

Goodness where do you live! I want to move there! I double checked my grocery store and yes I pay over $5 for butter.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Col. Flagg wrote:Just wanted to point out one minor correction - the % change for butter is actually 266%, not 166%.

Woops! Thanks for pointing that out.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

sadie_Mormon wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:Just wanted to point out one minor correction - the % change for butter is actually 266%, not 166%.

Woops! Thanks for pointing that out.
;)

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

sadie_Mormon wrote:

Goodness where do you live! I want to move there! I double checked my grocery store and yes I pay over $5 for butter.
I'm in Oregon...my last grocery trip was 2 weeks ago. Butter is 2.50 to $3/pound. 2% milk is 2.68. Ground beef is certainly not 7.68, but we raise our own beef, so I haven't specifically checked in awhile. I will be going today, so i'll see what prices are right now.

That said, I will say that prices have definitely gone up significantly overall. I used to get those jiffy cornmeal boxes for 4/$1. Now they are 66 cents a box. Canned beans have gone up300%.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Got this information from the USDA site.

Peanuts in 2008 were 20.4 cents per pound and as of today are 33.8 cents per pound.
http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/MannUsd ... entID=1640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peanut Butter in 2008 $2.20 cents for 18oz jar and as of today is $4.19 for 18oz jar.
http://theweek.com/article/index/220233 ... he-numbers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I searched today's price on my local market website.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

linj2fly wrote:I'm in Oregon...my last grocery trip was 2 weeks ago. Butter is 2.50 to $3/pound. 2% milk is 2.68. Ground beef is certainly not 7.68, but we raise our own beef, so I haven't specifically checked in awhile. I will be going today, so i'll see what prices are right now.

That said, I will say that prices have definitely gone up significantly overall. I used to get those jiffy cornmeal boxes for 4/$1. Now they are 66 cents a box. Canned beans have gone up300%.

I would think your location makes a difference as well for pricing. Looks like on Canned beans it was around .60 cents per can (estimate) in 2008 and now it shows around $1.39 for 15oz can.

I'll tell you that once I have land I will try to grow as much as I can. I remember as a child my father grew beans.

It's crazy what my market bill is and having boys OMG it's unbelievable the quantity of food they eat!

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

sadie_Mormon wrote:

Here's where I shop-
http://maceys.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Butter is $1.99/lb. I guess I bought the wrong brand!
Milk is $2.29/gallon. Peanut Butter is $2.49 for a 16.3oz jar.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

shadow wrote:Here's where I shop-
http://maceys.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Butter is $1.99/lb. I guess I bought the wrong brand!
Milk is $2.29/gallon. Peanut Butter is $2.49 for a 16.3oz jar.

I'm officially jealous lol! You better not advertise to much otherwise everyone will move there and prices will go up. :D

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

No more coffee for me! :D

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Now comes the apples to oranges reminder....how much of the food you are referring to is of quality? Are you eating free range chicken or one that has been pumped full of growth hormones? Same goes for meat....are you eating 'pink slime' or range beef that was grass fed with no added sodium nitrites, hormones, or antibiotics? Has your canned food been sitting in a BPA lined can for over a year in a warehouse?
I think its worth the extra $ to get quality food...regardless of the cost.

The cannery prices have gone up over 100% since 2008 and they don't make a 'profit off it'. ;)

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Ground meat for 7.98/lb. seriously? That's what we paid last week for T-Bone Steaks, and petite sirloin at Macey's is 2.99/lb. on sale right now.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Original_Intent wrote:Ground meat for 7.98/lb. seriously? That's what we paid last week for T-Bone Steaks, and petite sirloin at Macey's is 2.99/lb. on sale right now.

Well we don't have this Macey's store on the east coast. You're lucky you have such a market (not sure of the quality). For my meat I always go to my local butcher. I will never purchase from a market because at the butcher I can watch him cut it, ground it, and package it with my own eyes.

Also it depends on the grocery store, area, quality, and living costs in that area.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

DrJones wrote:I would like to see the price change for peanuts and peanut butter.

In any case, it seems clear that it will be harder for people to obey and get their 3-month and long-term supplies of food the longer they wait.
That is funny Dr. Jones. I now have 8 kids, and our "supply" is impossible to acquire or maintain. It simply does not exist. So we're past that, and on to just feeding kids and living a conservative life.

This kind of thing puts more pressure on large and honest families, working men and faithful mothers. My stake president is now putting the screws to me because I won't pay on my "income", but only on my "increase". He says "well, you decided to have that many kids". We're on the brink now, my wife is disgusted, the kids are upset and the word from SLC is "3-2-1 let's go shopping?" (Monson)???

Don't let the big buildings fool you folks, you believe you can feel peaceful and happy in them, but is that really the peace you seek?

katmr
captain of 100

Post by katmr »

Just noticing at the store today many more prices keep going up. On a small can of fruit that I would normally buy the price jumped from 98 cents to $1.28 per can. (Wal-Mart)
I'm not sure what percent increase that is as math is not really my thing but it seems like quite a jump especially when it's going up by that much on several other items that we buy normally. I keep hearing to expect further increases later this year due to the drought. How much higher can things possibly go?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Hang in there ithink. I hear you. Its may get worse before it gets better, but you can manage till then.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

sadie_Mormon wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:Ground meat for 7.98/lb. seriously? That's what we paid last week for T-Bone Steaks, and petite sirloin at Macey's is 2.99/lb. on sale right now.

Well we don't have this Macey's store on the east coast. You're lucky you have such a market (not sure of the quality). For my meat I always go to my local butcher. I will never purchase from a market because at the butcher I can watch him cut it, ground it, and package it with my own eyes.

Also it depends on the grocery store, area, quality, and living costs in that area.
We live in Utah and have to shop around, as Maceys isnt always the cheapest, sometimes it's Winco or Target or Walmart. When we visited Texas last week we noticed prices there were cheaper than in Utah.