Missionary Work

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Walden
captain of 50

Re: Missionary Work

Post by Walden »

Eddie Lyle wrote: Now granted it does say this...
86 Therefore, let no man among you, for this commandment is unto all the faithful who are called of God in the church unto the ministry, from this hour take purse or scrip, that goeth forth to proclaim this gospel of the kingdom.
I don't know about your missions but I was broke on mine, but as the verses promised I didn't have to worry about food or money I was always taken care of. Missionaries today don't have to take purse or script they are taken care of by families and friends at home. Your exegesis probably differs from mine. What does a mission cost these days? $400 a month. I can tell you that where I was in Switzerland that would buy you a cardboard box and a loaf of bread for the month. Without purse and script indeed.

This verse
91 And he that doeth not these things is not my disciple; by this you may know my disciples.
In fact refers to those who reject the missionaries or apostles when you take it in full context....
Actually, a "disciple" is any man (verse 86), who follows Christ. Not necessarily just apostles.
And again, verily, verily, I say unto you, it is expedient that every man who goes forth to
proclaim mine everlasting gospel
, that inasmuch as they have families, and receive
money by gift
, that they should send it unto them or make use of it for their benefit, as
the Lord shall direct them, for thus it seemeth me good. And let all those who have not
families, who receive money, send it up unto the bishop in Zion, or unto the bishop in Ohio,
that it may be consecrated for the bringing forth of the revelations and the printing thereof,
and for establishing Zion. And if any man shall give unto any of you a coat, or a suit, take the
old and cast it unto the poor, and go on your way rejoicing.”(D&C 84:103-105)
This scripture is impossible to fulfill nowadays unless you are very "unorthodox".

We cannot say "oh, that doesn't apply to us, it only applies to the apostles" for two reasons.

1. It says 2-3 times in there "every man who goes forth to
proclaim mine everlasting gospel"

2. It can't be the apostles because they don't do missionary work anymore.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

And it came to pass that he came unto me, and on this wise did he speak unto me, saying: Brother Jacob, I have sought much opportunity that I might speak unto you; for I have heard and also know that thou goest about much, preaching that which ye call the gospel, or the doctrine of Christ.

And ye have led away much of this people that they pervert the right way of God, and keep not the law of Moses which is the right way; and convert the law of Moses into the worship of a being which ye say shall come many hundred years hence.
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/jacob/7?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

like changing from wine to water?

Walden
captain of 50

Post by Walden »

Jason wrote:
And it came to pass that he came unto me, and on this wise did he speak unto me, saying: Brother Jacob, I have sought much opportunity that I might speak unto you; for I have heard and also know that thou goest about much, preaching that which ye call the gospel, or the doctrine of Christ.

And ye have led away much of this people that they pervert the right way of God, and keep not the law of Moses which is the right way; and convert the law of Moses into the worship of a being which ye say shall come many hundred years hence.
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/jacob/7?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

like changing from wine to water?
Sherem rejected Jesus Christ and taught against Jesus. Big no no.. On the subject of wine though...

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testam ... lang=eng#4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Nan wrote:They make no profits off their books. They donate the profits to the missionary fund.

Walden, it kind of feels like you are trying to find reasons so that you don't have to follow the prophet. Am I reading you wrong?

dont confuse profits with proceeds

but i agree, they give 100% of their time and forego incomes. we can't pay them money that is priestcraft but somehow they are provided for in those book deals and retainers an that which always seem to come through

i have no problem with that, but the issue now in this day and age is how they can do the consecrate all their times etc and then their words are withheld for money (ie must purchase book).

in this day of ready downloads is there an argument that no one (never mind just GAs here) should have their voice available at a cost?

if i wrote a book on financial markets yeah id charge

but if i wrote a book on how to draw closer to god personally i could not charge for it and would want it to be free of money cost to everone. i made a covenant about that

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

HeirofNumenor wrote:back to the Original Post, whenever I see this comment about "without purse or script" appearing in the New Testament (Jesus's Sermon on the Mount), or in the Book of Mormon (resurrected Jesus teaching the Nephites) it actually is limited to those 12 apostles/disciples in each setting. I imagine the D&C verse is a similar limitation.
So you are saying that god only provides for birds, lillies and Apostles?
The rest of us we have to save up first

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Nan wrote:Just had stake conference. Bishop Burton reminded us that the words of the living prophet take precedence over the words of dead prophets.

I always find it interesting when people who believe in revelation have a problem with things changing. We believe our prophets can get continuing revelation which means that changes will be made.
I love shut downs

So Christ spoke on the mount, but Bishop Burton tells us we should rather obey whats not even in the missionaries handbook

We lack the faith as a people basically

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

When you get right down to it, everything we have and are was given to us for one purpose: bring to pass the eternal life of man, both our own and others. But we were placed here in an environment where we are forced to not merely sit around all day and learn doctrine but rather to live it day in and day out. Part of this environment involves providing for ourselves and our families as commanded by the Lord. So is using my God-given good health to go to work each day to earn money much different than using my God-given understanding of the gospel to do the same? This is done of course with the understanding that that which is necessary for our exaltation comes free of charge, missionaries hand out millions of copies of the Book of Mormon every year for free. If someone wants to write a book to sell about the gospel, which in reality is not scripture but commentary (not required for exaltation), I don't see the problem with that.

Walden
captain of 50

Post by Walden »

laronius wrote:So is using my God-given good health to go to work each day to earn money much different than using my God-given understanding of the gospel to do the same?
Wouldn't you say yes? "Shall ye be payed twice?". If you recieve your reward from man, you have no need to recieve it from God later.