Voting Guidance 2

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ktg
captain of 100

Re: Voting Guidance 2

Post by ktg »

sbsion wrote:say goodnite to Romney
and his priesthood?

D&C 121:
36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

I think any unconstitutional action by a priesthood holding president would come under the unrighteous dominion clause above.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

“I hope with all my soul that the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be loyal in their very hearts and souls, to the principles of the Constitution of our country.” – Joseph F. Smith, “The Mexican Trouble – Loyalty to the Constitution” 98-101

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

“The Lord . . . has spoken concerning our Government and Constitution, and he has said — “Ye are justified in maintaining the Constitution and laws of the land, for they make you free, and the Gospel maketh you free; and you shall seek to sustain good and wise men for rulers, and whatsoever is more or less than this cometh of evil.”...The laws of Heaven command us not to uphold and sustain men, except they are good men, who will sustain the Constitution of our country...” – Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses 7:104

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

ktg wrote:Due to popular demand and not wanting to scare off new readers with a huge thread, this is part 2 of this thread: http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... 19&t=21513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Feel free to post the scriptures or quotes from Prophets and Apostles that have guided you in deciding who is worthy of your vote.
On the other thread you posted the following:
ktg wrote:"There is one and only one legitimate goal of United States foreign policy. It is a narrow goal, a nationalistic goal: the preservation of our national independence. Nothing in the Constitution grants that the president shall have the privilege of offering himself as a world leader. He is our executive; he is on our payroll; he is supposed to put our best interests in front of those of other nations. Nothing in the Constitution nor in logic grants to the president of the United States or to Congress the power to influence the political life of other countries, to ‘uplift’ their cultures, to bolster their economies, to feed their people, or even to defend them against their enemies." - Ezra Taft Benson
Could you provide the source of this quote, please? I've searched for it, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to use the quote, but I want to include the source.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

jnjnelson wrote:Could you provide the source of this quote, please? I've searched for it, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to use the quote, but I want to include the source.
After a quick search online, I found it sourced to these -

The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 614
America at the Crossroads, August 30, 1969
Address delivered on June 21, 1968, at the Farm Bureau Banquet in Preston, Idaho

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

Stella Solaris wrote:
jnjnelson wrote:Could you provide the source of this quote, please? I've searched for it, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to use the quote, but I want to include the source.

Address delivered on June 21, 1968, at the Farm Bureau Banquet in Preston, Idaho
Thanks for that SS.

In addition it can be found in "An enemy hath done this", page 151:

"There is one and only one legitimate goal of United States foreign policy. It is a narrow goal, a nationalistic goal; the preservation of our national independence. Nothing in the Constitution grants that the President shall have the privilege of offering himself as a world leader. He’s our executive; he’s on our payroll, if necessary; he’s supposed to put our best interests in front of those of other nations. Nothing in the Constitution nor in logic grants the President of the United States or to Congress the power to influence the political life of other countries, to “uplift” their cultures, to bolster their economies, to feed their peoples or even to defend them against their enemies. This point was made clear by the wise father of our country, George Washington:

“I have always given it as my decided opinion that no nation has a right to intermeddle in the internal concerns of another; that every one had a right to form and adopt whatever government they liked best to live under themselves; and that, if this country could, consistently with its engagements, maintain a strict neutrality and thereby preserve peace, it was bound to do by motives of policy, interest, and every other consideration.”

The preservation of America's political, economic and military independence—the three cornerstones of sovereignty—is the sum and total prerogative of our government in dealing with the affairs of the world. Beyond that point, any humanitarian or charitable activities are the responsibility of individual citizens voluntarily without coercion of others to participate.

The proper function of government must be limited to a defensive role—the defense of individual citizens against bodily harm, theft and involuntary servitude at the hands of either domestic or foreign criminals."

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

"The God of heaven will hold this nation, as well as all other nations, responsible for the manner in which these principles (in the Constitution) are used. If they misuse them, it will be their loss. If they trample the Constitution under foot; if they undertake to deprive any portion of citizens of the rights the Constitution guarantees unto them, they will be held responsible, and will have to pay the bill.” – Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses 25:11

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

Stella Solaris wrote:

Thank you, I guess I need more practice googling.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

“The Prophet Joseph Smith said that “The Constitution of the United States was given by the inspiration of God.” But good, virtuous and holy principles may be perverted by corrupt and wicked men. The Lord was opposed by Satan, Jesus had his Judas, and this nation abounds with traitors who ignore that sacred palladium of liberty and seek to trample it under foot.” – John Taylor, Journal of Discourses 21:31-32

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

“I believe in honest money, the gold and silver coinage of the Constitution, and a circulating medium convertible into such money without loss. I regard it as a flagrant violation of the explicit provisions of the Constitution for the federal government to make it a criminal offense to use gold or silver coin as legal tender or to issue irredeemable paper money.” (Ezra Taft Benson, God, Family, Country: Our Three Great Loyalties, 1974.)

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

“Again I warn that there are amongst us evil influences plotting and conspiring to destroy all that we hold sacred in our Church and in the nation. If we shall fall asleep to these dangers, we shall some day awaken to find ourselves their slavish victims.” (J. Reuben Clark, Conference Report, October 1939.)

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

D&C 105:6 And my people must needs be chastened until they learn obedience, if it must needs be, by the things which they suffer.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

2 Nephi 26:8 But behold, the righteous that hearken unto the words of the prophets, and destroy them not, but look forward unto Christ with steadfastness for the signs which are given, notwithstanding all persecution--behold, they are they which shall not perish.