Can we still be forgiven?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Ribbit
captain of 10

Re: Can we still be forgiven?

Post by Ribbit »

Okay, I have to point this out though. There is a JST (a) for 1 Peter 4:8 "..for charity preventeth a multitude of sins." No JST in Romans 4:7 "Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered."

Matthew.B
captain of 100

Post by Matthew.B »

Ribbit wrote:Okay, I have to point this out though. There is a JST (a) for 1 Peter 4:8 "..for charity preventeth a multitude of sins." No JST in Romans 4:7 "Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered."
Charity (pure love of Christ) does prevent a whole lot of sins (all of them, IMO, if one had perfect charity all the time like Christ did). However, the principle- if you want to be forgiven, cultivate the spirit of charity in your soul and be charitable to all men in thought and deed- is still the same. The point is not to worry over forgotten sins or sins that can't have restitution or confession made, but to repent as much as it is possible and let the rest go and rely on the Atonement to cover them by utilizing it to cultivate charity.

inquirringmind
captain of 100

Post by inquirringmind »

Ribbit wrote:The LDS Gospel Principles Manual (Chapter 19: Repentance) states the principles of repentance are: We must recognize our sins, we must feel sorrow for our sins, we must forsake our sins, we must confess our sins, we must make restitution, we must forgive others and we must keep the commandments of God.

If we ever err in the repentance principles while repenting- can we still be forgiven for that sin? Or will we not be forgiven for a sin unless all repentance principles are met? Can we be forgiven for making mistakes with the repentance principles? Or will we never be forgiven and eternally negatively effected?

I haven't always properly confessed. Nor have I always made restitution. I sure hope forgiveness is still possible.
What kind of sins have to be confessed to the bishop, and what does it mean to "properly confess"?