ADHD Fraud - by Fred A. Baughman Jr., MD

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Re: ADHD Fraud - by Fred A. Baughman Jr., MD

Post by Army Of Truth »

ChelC wrote:
Army Of Truth wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your child and his issues. However, I don't think calling me arrogant will help anyone and that is simply rude.

I said it was arrogant to say that what I've experienced with my son is normal and/or a non existent thing. I stand by that statement. You don't know and to act as though you understand what my son was going through and brush it off as normal is in my opinion extremely arrogant.

I never said I know what your son is going through nor have I said that "what you've experienced with your son is normal". You are putting words into my mouth. What I DID say is the 14 points of ADHD 'symptoms' are NORMAL CHILDHOOD BEHAVIORS. So for YOU to call my "extremely arrogant" is downright RUDE and ARROGANT and PRESUMPTUOUS of YOU.

And I never said that what your son is going through "doesn't exist", I simply said that ADHD doesn't exist. But the symptoms you've explained about your son are NOT on the ADHD "14 point List" so what I meant when I said that the list shows symptoms of NORMAL childhood are indeed true.

That may be true, but most people I know whose kids deal with ADHD are much more extreme than that list suggests and anyone who had undergone the evaluation process would know that. Further, one of the primary factors in determining whether the ADHD needs further treatment (not all of which comes from ritalin) is whether the child experiences those symptoms in more than one setting, more than other children of similar age, and to a point where it is hurting their ability to be successful in their environment.

It seems that now YOU are an EXPERT in ADHD saying "most people whose kids have ADHD are much more extreme than this list". Funny because most people I know are NOT anymore more than this list. And I do know quite a few and most of them are in my family.

I still stand by that fact because like I mentioned before, BOTH of my sons have most if not all of those symptoms on that list. My oldest son however has other symptoms dealing with anger that are NOT on the list as well as other behaviors that are not on the list.

Have you ever thought about the long term effects of the drugs you are giving your son? Because the medical world doesn't know the long term effects these amphetamines have on children because they haven't done tests or studies on this. But there have been hundreds if not thousands of deaths from Ritalin, for instance. Between 1990 and 2000 there were 186 "reported" deaths from Ritalin. But we know that the reported cases are usually 10-20% of the actual number of cases. So actual deaths from Ritalin could be in the thousands.

I painfully know the side effects of the drugs we gave our son. It was a devastating decision to make as a mother. I prayed long and hard and the Lord confirmed the decision. It was something we needed to survive that time. The drugs are not a cure, they are a bandaid that is sometimes very necessary.

I do have an idea what you're going through. My oldest son has what the medical world would call "ADHD" but since I was wise enough NOT to get him 'tested' for it, he was never branded with the ADHD label thank goodness. I have very similar issues with my son. He just had a violent rage a couple of weeks ago among other events. Sure I could get him tested for ADHD and when they see he has the 'symptoms', give him psychotropic drugs that will make him docile, just as those same drugs will make me docile. But I choose not to. And no I'm not advising everyone out there that they should be like me, I'm obviously giving you MY opinion and beliefs and what works for ME. Instead, I've chosen to give him more time and support. I've noticed that when I'm not spending as much time with him and keeping him occupied and busy and disciplined, he has little if any anger rages. This is what works for me after much fasting and prayer. After his last rage, I noticed that I was easing off my usual routine of spending extra time and activities with him and when I corrected it, his behavior also improved. I feel that if my son feels I don't care to spend enough time with him or doesn't feel loved like he should, then it is easier for him to go into his anger rages. My sons mom and I have learned to adjust our parenting towards him because of his behavior and that is the way it should be anyway. If my sons mom and I weren't on the same page, he would also have ended up in the hospital if he wasn't drugged to keep him docile.
I'm glad that worked for you and your family. It's too bad that it doesn't work for everyone.
I never said it will work for everyone.

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Post by loquaciousmomma »

I have read this thread filled with turmoil as I relived the agonizing journey that our family has taken with our middle son and his battle with whatever ends up being wrong with him. One thing that has been clear to me is that ChelC has clearly had the Lord's hand in her care for her son. My son is 17 and I have yet to know what is actually the true problem. She has at least found out the cause and has her son's situation under control.

I have experienced exactly what she has described in receiving judgment from people for his behavior. I even had a sister in law tell me his problem was that I hadn't taught him proper boundaries and that is why he misbehaved. Once he was medicated (at the horribly young age of 5) his misbehavior virtually ceased (while he was medicated, that is). If I hadn't taught him proper boundaries he would have continued doing those things because he didn't know any better, but that wasn't the case. Sadly, for us, the most judgmental people were family members. The pain has been agonizing to bear.

Like ChelC, I hated to medicate him. I didn't believe in ADHD, I thought he was just intelligent and energetic, but that didn't explain the total meltdowns when I would send him to his room for misbehavior and he would destroy his bedroom in a fit of rage. We had holes in the walls and curtains torn down. He was very destructive. His rages stopped when he was medicated.

I want you to understand how the decision was made. He was in kindergarten and was constantly in trouble. I went to the school every chance I could to help out. I was there every friday because that was the day they asked parents to be there to help. I watched him reach over and mark on the kid's shirt next to him on an impulse. I watched him color on paper for 2 minutes tops before he tried to run off and do something else, leaving a rudimentary drawing a two year old could do. I watched him squirm and fidget and then finally get up and run away when he was supposed to sit still and listen to the teacher. He was incapable of sitting still for any length of time. So, we made behavior plans with the teacher. She was to give him a check on a chart every time he needed a redirection. If he got fewer than a certain number he could play video games after school. If he got more than a certain number he had a consequence. That Christmas vacation our family was sitting around the table for dinner and I asked everyone to tell me one thing they liked about the vacation. His response broke my heart " No redirections." This was one week into a two week vacation and he was still thinking about it a week later at 5 years old. I made the decision to allow the school to test him for referral to a doctor and when they did, they told me that they couldn't even test him because he wouldn't stop playing with the clicker they used for the computer test. I purposely chose a doctor known for being stingy with medicine to evaluate him. (I had a parent tell me not to go to him because he rarely prescribes medicine. I knew then that he was the one I wanted to see.) This doctor told me that he was the worst case he had ever seen. In fact, years later he used my own story to try to explain something to me not realizing that it was my son he was talking about. ( My son had climbed over our chain link fence at the age of 18 months, he was trying to explain to me that some kids cannot be contained, as what are we to do in that situation, put a top on the back yard like a cage?)

The point is, I was not trying to medicate typical childhood behavior. This was a child who was out of control and he was going to hurt himself if not controlled by medicine. (He jumped off our second story deck once, he threw rocks at cars, he allowed older kids to talk him into walking into a half-frozen stream, etc.) Once when he was 18 months old, he got the front door open and ran toward the street. His older brother was 3 at the time and caught him before I did. I found him holding his brother by the shirt at the curb while he was running at full speed trying to get away.

The doctor I went to used a trial to see if the medicine really made a difference. He had the pharmacy give us two bottles of pills one with a placebo and one with the real ritalin inside. In our situation the first bottle ended up being the real thing. He was a dream at school that day. He came home and showed me the beautiful picture he had spent twenty minutes drawing, then, as the medicine wore off, he tried to draw some more at home, but couldn't and cried like his heart was broken. He really wanted to draw, but couldn't make himself sit still to do it. I know this feeling personally. I love to draw, but sitting still long enough to draw a full detailed picture I feel like there are ants in my pants and I have to force myself to sit still to finish. It is such a painful process I rarely draw anymore.

As wonderful as the medicine was in providing him the opportunity to get through elementary school and even do relatively well, the benefits diminished in jr. high. He changed in 4th grade and was acting as if he was aspergers. I have had him tested but no one can come up with an official diagnosis. He is currently considered adhd with features of nonverbal learning disorder and anxiety. (In 4th grade he pulled his hair out in patches one by one, and became more reserved and became more awkward socially.) He cannot pick up on subtleties and sarcasm often is missed by him. I was told once that he is 2 years behind psychologically. He has gotten in trouble with the law and has become antisocial in his dress and personal care. He is supposed to be a senior but may not graduate for one to two years, if at all. He has crashed and burned.

I don't know if it was the medicine that caused his troubles or if the medicine just bought us some time and our time ran out. He is so much like my mother who is mentally ill that I wonder if they have similar conditions. Neither one can be pinpointed with a particular condition and they both have food issues. I just learned about the idea of a "second brain" in our colon that is where 91 percent of the body's seratonin is made. He and my mother have food issues, like they both say Mcdonalds food makes them ill and they both say meats like pork chops and steak make them ill. Maybe there is something there that I can look into, and I am doing so. In the meantime, however, we are still medicating him, as it at least helps him to focus a little better at school.

Army of Truth, you tell a story about your son with rage issues and your giving him of your time helps him to behave better. I have another son just like that. He was tested for adhd and found not to have any attention issues, but was described as opp. defiant. He put holes in walls and raged violently particularly with major changes, like moving to a new home. The answer for him was simply reading to him every night and paying special attention to him. He has no more rage issues and is my best behaved child now. That was not the case with his older brother.

Every child is different.

Some kids who are diagnosed as adhd may be normal and shouldn't be medicated. Some kids may just be energetic people and need to be given space. Some have food issues, some have allergies, some have difficult home lives that they cope with by being fidgety. Some just need medicine because there is a chemical imbalance that is making self control severely limited. Dismissing ADHD as bunk and going back to square one would be foolish. Some people have a difficult time focusing. I am one of them. I get easily distracted, in fact, as a kid I was so accident prone that my mom had me checked out for balance problems or brain tumors. The neurosurgeon told my mom that I just didn't pay attention. I wasn't diagnosed with adhd then but that is what it was.

Please be careful AOT. Parents get enough flack from people, they don't need someone telling them the one thing that finally seems to explain their exasperating challenges is bunk. They need support and encouragement.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Please don't think you are the only one struggling through this. I made this post because it is very close and dear to my heart. Because it pertains to MY SON and my step son!! Don't tell me that what I am doing with my son is wrong and that I should choose psychotropic drugs if I prayed about it because I have. I'm a strong priesthood holder and an RM so I do have faith in my God as I hope you do too. I am very exposed to adhd and have personal knowledge of how psychotropic drugs work and don't work.
Last edited by Army Of Truth on September 14th, 2011, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

loquaciousmomma wrote:I have read this thread filled with turmoil as I relived the agonizing journey that our family has taken with our middle son and his battle with whatever ends up being wrong with him. One thing that has been clear to me is that ChelC has clearly had the Lord's hand in her care for her son. My son is 17 and I have yet to know what is actually the true problem. She has at least found out the cause and has her son's situation under control.

I have experienced exactly what she has described in receiving judgment from people for his behavior. I even had a sister in law tell me his problem was that I hadn't taught him proper boundaries and that is why he misbehaved. Once he was medicated (at the horribly young age of 5) his misbehavior virtually ceased (while he was medicated, that is). If I hadn't taught him proper boundaries he would have continued doing those things because he didn't know any better, but that wasn't the case. Sadly, for us, the most judgmental people were family members. The pain has been agonizing to bear.

Like ChelC, I hated to medicate him. I didn't believe in ADHD, I thought he was just intelligent and energetic, but that didn't explain the total meltdowns when I would send him to his room for misbehavior and he would destroy his bedroom in a fit of rage. We had holes in the walls and curtains torn down. He was very destructive. His rages stopped when he was medicated.

I want you to understand how the decision was made. He was in kindergarten and was constantly in trouble. I went to the school every chance I could to help out. I was there every friday because that was the day they asked parents to be there to help. I watched him reach over and mark on the kid's shirt next to him on an impulse. I watched him color on paper for 2 minutes tops before he tried to run off and do something else, leaving a rudimentary drawing a two year old could do. I watched him squirm and fidget and then finally get up and run away when he was supposed to sit still and listen to the teacher. He was incapable of sitting still for any length of time. So, we made behavior plans with the teacher. She was to give him a check on a chart every time he needed a redirection. If he got fewer than a certain number he could play video games after school. If he got more than a certain number he had a consequence. That Christmas vacation our family was sitting around the table for dinner and I asked everyone to tell me one thing they liked about the vacation. His response broke my heart " No redirections." This was one week into a two week vacation and he was still thinking about it a week later at 5 years old. I made the decision to allow the school to test him for referral to a doctor and when they did, they told me that they couldn't even test him because he wouldn't stop playing with the clicker they used for the computer test. I purposely chose a doctor known for being stingy with medicine to evaluate him. (I had a parent tell me not to go to him because he rarely prescribes medicine. I knew then that he was the one I wanted to see.) This doctor told me that he was the worst case he had ever seen. In fact, years later he used my own story to try to explain something to me not realizing that it was my son he was talking about. ( My son had climbed over our chain link fence at the age of 18 months, he was trying to explain to me that some kids cannot be contained, as what are we to do in that situation, put a top on the back yard like a cage?)

The point is, I was not trying to medicate typical childhood behavior. This was a child who was out of control and he was going to hurt himself if not controlled by medicine. (He jumped off our second story deck once, he threw rocks at cars, he allowed older kids to talk him into walking into a half-frozen stream, etc.) Once when he was 18 months old, he got the front door open and ran toward the street. His older brother was 3 at the time and caught him before I did. I found him holding his brother by the shirt at the curb while he was running at full speed trying to get away.

The doctor I went to used a trial to see if the medicine really made a difference. He had the pharmacy give us two bottles of pills one with a placebo and one with the real ritalin inside. In our situation the first bottle ended up being the real thing. He was a dream at school that day. He came home and showed me the beautiful picture he had spent twenty minutes drawing, then, as the medicine wore off, he tried to draw some more at home, but couldn't and cried like his heart was broken. He really wanted to draw, but couldn't make himself sit still to do it. I know this feeling personally. I love to draw, but sitting still long enough to draw a full detailed picture I feel like there are ants in my pants and I have to force myself to sit still to finish. It is such a painful process I rarely draw anymore.

As wonderful as the medicine was in providing him the opportunity to get through elementary school and even do relatively well, the benefits diminished in jr. high. He changed in 4th grade and was acting as if he was aspergers. I have had him tested but no one can come up with an official diagnosis. He is currently considered adhd with features of nonverbal learning disorder and anxiety. (In 4th grade he pulled his hair out in patches one by one, and became more reserved and became more awkward socially.) He cannot pick up on subtleties and sarcasm often is missed by him. I was told once that he is 2 years behind psychologically. He has gotten in trouble with the law and has become antisocial in his dress and personal care. He is supposed to be a senior but may not graduate for one to two years, if at all. He has crashed and burned.

I don't know if it was the medicine that caused his troubles or if the medicine just bought us some time and our time ran out. He is so much like my mother who is mentally ill that I wonder if they have similar conditions. Neither one can be pinpointed with a particular condition and they both have food issues. I just learned about the idea of a "second brain" in our colon that is where 91 percent of the body's seratonin is made. He and my mother have food issues, like they both say Mcdonalds food makes them ill and they both say meats like pork chops and steak make them ill. Maybe there is something there that I can look into, and I am doing so. In the meantime, however, we are still medicating him, as it at least helps him to focus a little better at school.

Army of Truth, you tell a story about your son with rage issues and your giving him of your time helps him to behave better. I have another son just like that. He was tested for adhd and found not to have any attention issues, but was described as opp. defiant. He put holes in walls and raged violently particularly with major changes, like moving to a new home. The answer for him was simply reading to him every night and paying special attention to him. He has no more rage issues and is my best behaved child now. That was not the case with his older brother.

Every child is different.

Some kids who are diagnosed as adhd may be normal and shouldn't be medicated. Some kids may just be energetic people and need to be given space. Some have food issues, some have allergies, some have difficult home lives that they cope with by being fidgety. Some just need medicine because there is a chemical imbalance that is making self control severely limited. Dismissing ADHD as bunk and going back to square one would be foolish. Some people have a difficult time focusing. I am one of them. I get easily distracted, in fact, as a kid I was so accident prone that my mom had me checked out for balance problems or brain tumors. The neurosurgeon told my mom that I just didn't pay attention. I wasn't diagnosed with adhd then but that is what it was.

Please be careful AOT. Parents get enough flack from people, they don't need someone telling them the one thing that finally seems to explain their exasperating challenges is bunk. They need support and encouragement.
Like I stated be careful. I am being careful. If anyone took offense, it is my OPINION and I am entitled to it. And if you haven't read my full post, I AM A SINGLE FATHER OF AN "ADHD" CHILD, yet I did not get him diagnosed. So its not "officially" adhd.

I have never said ANYONE'S CHALLENGES ARE BUNK. Again, you guys are putting words into my mouth. I know you are on her side because she is a woman and you think she knows more than me but you are very much mistaken there. I'm not saying I know more nor am I saying she knows more. What I'm saying is that you have no clue of who I am and who my son is and what I've been through and what I know.

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Army Of Truth wrote: Like I stated be careful. I am being careful. If anyone took offense, it is my OPINION and I am entitled to it. And if you haven't read my full post, I AM A SINGLE FATHER OF AN "ADHD" CHILD, yet I did not get him diagnosed. So its not "officially" adhd.

I have never said ANYONE'S CHALLENGES ARE BUNK. Again, you guys are putting words into my mouth. I know you are on her side because she is a woman and you think she knows more than me but you are very much mistaken there. I'm not saying I know more nor am I saying she knows more. What I'm saying is that you have no clue of who I am and who my son is and what I've been through and what I know.
Please tell me you are joking with the comment in red. I don't think statements like that give you any credibility.

I didn't say that you called people's challenges bunk, I am saying that you are calling adhd bunk. You are saying that it is a fraud, it is in your title. I am saying that dismissing adhd as a valid diagnosis would be unwise.

As for my comments on your son, I compared them with my own experience with my son, not ChelC's knowledge. And you are right, I have no clue about you and your experiences, except what you have said here. From what you have said, your son fits the profile of my o.d.d. son better than the profile of my adhd one. If there is more than you have shared to the story, so be it.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

You are correct in that I am called ADHD BUNK! Have you not read my previous comments showing the 14 points of ADHD that you wholeheartedly subscribe to? It is an unvalid diagnosis because it gives schools, psychiatrists, parents a reason to give their kids psychotropic drugs that make them docile.

And no my son also doesn't have ODD just because you think he his behavior is consistent with your son. Like you said "each child is different".

As for that comment giving me credibility, that is just my opinion and it may be false. If you think that takes away my credibility, I think your comment about giving adhd a "valid" diagnosis removes all credibility with you. How can it be valid when there is NO DATA or any other physical evidence showing a brain malfunction/imbalance due to ADHD or any other conjured up disease you believe to be true. The only thing adhd is valid for is pseudo-science!

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

ChelC wrote:Rand understands me. This us exactly what parents need during their struggle.

After holding Carlos for hours and struggling to keep him safe (which usually left me spit on, bruised, scratched), or after singing to my younger son to stop his tears while Carlos screamed in the background, I would be drained of all energy. I would feel broken and hopeless. I needed to be fed emotionally and spiritually. The words Rand has posted above are exactly what someone battling this needs.

Thank you, Rand.
Actually ChelC, thank you for being who you are and carrying such a soul pummeling burden. Those of us who have never had to carry such, should be wise and listen carefully to those of you who have, and learn. Compassion is a great teacher. I hope you have moments of respite on this journey. I am sure Carlos brings joy at times also. I have patients who have walked this path, and just for your hope, the burden got lighter as they followed their hearts in seeking the right path. Yours will too. Look into a Q link. It offered great help to one of these children. They usually have no filter to outside influences, and it leaves them in a constant state of insult to forces you and I can't feel or even see, except through their suffering. If this is the case with Carlos, know his reality is probably more true than ours. I learned this from an autistic boy who said "you don't get it, you see things from down here, I see them from up here. You just don't get it." He was probably right. God bless.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

It's true that all children will at times exhibit the symptoms since most of the symptoms resemble childhood. I think we can probably all agree that there isn't a specific test which can pick up a specific disease, so ADHD doesn't appear to be a disease per se.

Technically ADHD is classed as a disorder, not a disease. There is no doubt that ADHD symptoms can present in a huge number of people and that they can coexist with other things, and so to lump them all together and pop on an ADHD label is a little silly, but silly is what we have until we can figure out what is causing this group of symptoms. IMO, ADHD isn't one disorder, it's just how kids react when something is wrong... and that something could be just about anything.

So in a way I agree with the point that the label ADHD doesn't mean much and probably is not a specific disorder. But it could be decades before we start to figure out all the reasons for the suffering. In the meantime, I think it's wise to take what little we do know and use the few tools we have to help our kids to be successful and not toss it all out in the name of having a tidy label.

There probably are some kids who simply are hard to handle because they had coke for breakfast. There probably are kids who would benefit from better parenting in general. And then there are the others who may have allergies, who may have digestive issues, yeast issues, hormonal imbalances or any number of things. We need to make sure that we are helping these people to find a solution that works for them while they hunt for a cure, because cures don't always come and when they do they often take years of trial and error to find.

It's a hard road and choosing to medicate isn't the sign of a foolish or lazy parent.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Well said, ChelC. Choosing to medicate or not to medicate is a personal issue. It's an issue that almost divided my fiance and I. She still chooses to medicate her son for now and I am okay with it even though I am against it myself. But the moment I see that there are signs or side effects such as physically hurting himself or others, I will definitely step in and change things. And I know that she, being the mother, will be the first to see any strange or different types of behaviors in her son.

I want to apologize for anything offensive I've said and I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else. I do greatly admire what you are going through with your son and I know that only you know what is best for your family. We are all just outsiders with our own opinions when it comes to your story.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Thank you. I apologize for drawing assumptions about your opinions. If I had my wish we'd all learn to put our opinions in the back seat when dealing with those around us, and instead lift and inspire. It's sometimes incredibly difficult to do. I'm the queen of eating crow. I was once the perfect mom. Then I had kids. My opinions have come back to bite me many times.

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Army Of Truth wrote:You are correct in that I am called ADHD BUNK! Have you not read my previous comments showing the 14 points of ADHD that you wholeheartedly subscribe to? It is an unvalid diagnosis because it gives schools, psychiatrists, parents a reason to give their kids psychotropic drugs that make them docile.

And no my son also doesn't have ODD just because you think he his behavior is consistent with your son. Like you said "each child is different".

As for that comment giving me credibility, that is just my opinion and it may be false. If you think that takes away my credibility, I think your comment about giving adhd a "valid" diagnosis removes all credibility with you. How can it be valid when there is NO DATA or any other physical evidence showing a brain malfunction/imbalance due to ADHD or any other conjured up disease you believe to be true. The only thing adhd is valid for is pseudo-science!
The comment I was referring to when I questioned your credibility was the accusation that I only believed ChelC because she was a woman. That was an attack and unrelated to the conversation.

I wasn't necessarily saying that your son had ODD, in fact, I am not sure my own son has ODD. Like I said, he is one of my best behaved children now that he gets the necessary attention, although he still gets touchy when going through big changes like school recently starting. The great thing is that he gets over it much quicker now and it is not a rage, just small outbursts. Yea for progress!

I was just showing you that you may not have the same thing that others are dealing with that has been labeled ADHD.

I apologize for any offense I may have given.

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

"I was once the perfect mom. Then I had kids."

I love it!

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Etosha wrote:"I was once the perfect mom. Then I had kids."

I love it!
=))

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

HeirofNumenor wrote:
Etosha wrote:"I was once the perfect mom. Then I had kids."

I love it!
=))
Amen! I was the perfect dad too before my boys could walk. I changed their diapers, played with them endlessly, etc. But when they started walking and talking and arguing with me, all my knowledge from my books I've read and experience with other peoples kids, etc, went out the door and it felt like I went back to square one. It is one thing to read about having kids in books or even watching family/friends have them, but quite another having kids yourself. :)) :)) :)) ;)

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

Acetaminophen use during pregnancy tied to ADHD, behavioral problems in children

Overall, maternal use of acetaminophen was associated with a 20 percent to almost two-fold increased risk of behavioral problems, including attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and hyperkinetic disorders (HKD) among children at age 7.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/02/2 ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1166 ... -not-exist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may notice that there is something striking about the way we define this “illness”—that is, by its symptoms, rather than its cause. If we were to define a heart attack by chest pain, then the appropriate cure would be painkillers, rather than the revival and repair of the heart. Other examples are easy to find: Nasal congestion can be a symptom of a cold, allergy, or many other conditions, but a runny nose is not a diagnosis. In the same way, the symptom complex associated with the ADHD diagnosis is related to more than twenty medical diagnoses, (from those as mild as poor eyesight, sleep deprivation, and even boredom in the classroom, to more severe conditions like depression and bipolar disorder), that, when treated effectively, can result in the disappearance of the attention-deficit and hyperactivity symptoms. But before I make this case, allow me a brief digression into the mechanisms by which common medications for ADHD work.

The stimulants most often prescribed for ADHD represent several different types of agents that help control attention and behavior. These include methylphenidate (like Ritalin and Concerta) and mixed salt amphetamines (like Adderall and Vyvanse). Each of these has a specific effect on the body’s neurotransmitters, or the chemical compounds that help transmit signals within the nervous system. The exact mechanisms by which these chemicals interact are very complex, but essentially, if levels of these chemicals are too low or their activity is blocked, the transmission of messages within the nervous system decreases, corresponding to a state of inattention or impulsivity. Specific medications aimed at targeting attention-deficit and hyperactivity symptoms help increase levels of neurotransmitters and their activity. For example, methylphenidate-based medications like Ritalin increase the activity of the neurotransmitters dopamine and noradrenaline in the parts of the brain that help to control attention and behavior. Adderall also increases dopamine’s effects, but in a more gradual way than Ritalin and similar agents do.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Interesting.....Harvard research links fluoridated water to ADHD, mental disorders.

http://www.naturalnews.com/044057_fluor ... rders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

One in five boys now being diagnosed with ADHD in America

http://www.naturalnews.com/040049_ADHD_ ... _boys.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
American Psychiatric Association to alter ADHD guidelines to further increase diagnosis rates

As bad as all this over-diagnosis is, the situation is only going to get worse once the newest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, also known as DSM-V, gets published. According to an analysis of the latest proposed changes to the manual, many more children will be falsely diagnosed as having ADHD due to the inclusion of excessively-liberal diagnosis criteria.

"These wording changes newly diagnose individuals who display symptoms of ADHD but continue to function acceptably in their daily lives," reads an analysis of the proposed changes to DSM-V as published in the Journal of Learning Disabilities. Such changes include things like allowing ADHD symptoms to appear before age 12 rather than age seven in order to make a diagnosis; expanding the list of eligible symptoms considered to be indicative of ADHD; and changing the requirement that ADHD symptoms "impair" everyday activities to the much more inclusive word "impact."
And as a result, even more kids will be drugged while the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry gets even more profits.
How convenient!! ;)

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...from the thread, SAFELY COME OFF ANTIDEPRESSANT & OTHER PSYCHOTROPIC MEDS:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15609&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dconrad000 wrote:...after sending the above e-mail out, someone that received it was kind enough to send me this. This is an absolute must-see for for every person, parent and grandparent!

Making A Killing: THE UNTOLD STORY OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGGING

Psychotropic drugs. It’s the story of big money—drugs that fuel a $330 billion psychiatric industry, without a single cure. The cost in human terms is even greater—these drugs now kill an estimated 42,000 people every year. And the death count keeps rising. Containing the testimony of a great many highly credible witnesses, including former drug company sales reps and researchers, lawyers, mental health experts, the families of victims and the survivors themselves, this riveting documentary rips the mask off psychotropic drugging and exposes a brutal but well-entrenched money-making machine.

To view it in full screen mode, use this link:

http://youtu.be/UDlH9sV0lHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

ChelC wrote:
Army Of Truth wrote:We also need to watch out for blanket assumptions that just because someone reacts to "fruit" and not sugar to mean that sugar is good for them and not fruit.

I wasn't aware that anyone had made a blanket statement that fruit is unhealthy and sugar is healthy.

Have you ever considered what type of fruit your son reacted to? Since there are hundreds of fruit, maybe your son was allergic that particular fruit you gave him? But to say that someone is allergic to all fruit because of one or two they ate is a blanket statement.

Are you trying to be condescending? I'm not a moron. Yes, we've tested many different fruits, and yes he reacts to certain fruits more than others. But any fruit in excess (and excess for my son is what most people would consider a small to moderate amount) causes problems and that is a fact for my son. Some fruits cannot be consumed even in small amounts without behavioral consquence. I'm not stating that it's a fact for you or your children.

In general, fruit is good for humans and sugar is bad for humans. Those are not blanket statements, but facts. Thousands of years prove it too. Look at the humans that live longest and see what they eat. It isn't processed food (full of sugar), its fruits and vegetables and very little, if any, meat. Take the former Kingdom of Hunza or Abkhazia for example. The average lifespan of people there is well over 100 years old with people living to be 165 years old. That is unheard of nowadays. What is their diet? Fruits and nuts and seeds and vegetables. Cancer was unheard of in their environment as was ADHD, Bipolar, asthma, you name it.

I haven't disputed any of this. But you are assuming that the incidence of cancer, asthma and ADHD is directly attributed to processed food when in fact you don't know if that is true. Have you eliminated the possibility of pesticides, environmental pollutants, hybrid fruits (an apple from yesteryear was quite different from an apple today!), and a myriad of other possibilities? Right now I'm working on a theory with my son that perhaps because of some environmental factors he lacks the needed enzymes to tolerate fruit. That doesn't mean I think table sugar is healthy. I certainly don't. But table sugar doesn't cause my son to behave violently.

These are not my beliefs, but facts. History is replete with them.
Thank you for health 101. This is just what ticks me off. Someone reads a little and thinks they have the answers for everyone. Surely the parents can't handle typical kid stuff and are just drugging their kids. Surely the parents are too lazy to try conventional nutritional wisdom and would just rather visit the psychiatrist and medicate. Surely this doesn't even exist, but the symptoms are because the parents are pathetic morons who feed their kids garbage and then get surprised when the kid acts out. I've read it over and over again. I'm sure there are scenarios where there are parents like that, but I'm not and I'm telling you my son is an exception to conventional wisdom.

If you refuse to have your mindset challenged a bit, that's fine. The Lord has walked this road with me and He knows the truth for us. I just wish I could spare other parents the judgment we've experienced when what we needed was compassion.

I concur with you ChelC. It somewhat baffles me that a Dr. would use his own experiences, ( and he became a Dr. because he can concentrate), and what he reads to think he has all the answers. Until you have lived with ADHD, or ADD, or Autism, unfortunately you
don't have all the answers.

I could go on, and on, but I am afraid it would do no good. I could also get into the causes of why this is so prevalent, ( immunizations, etc.) but apparently doctors have all the answers. Experience is the best teacher, and I've seen this for myself. I watched a little boy go from normal, talking and happy, to a severely autistic child the day after his immunizations. Its called mercury, thermisol, whatever you want to label the poison put into immunizations. He is now 8 yrs old, non-verbal, not potty trained, and is in a re-hab center, hundreds of
miles away from his parents, with many, many, other children in his same age group who were also poisoned.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I watched a little boy go from normal, talking and happy, to a severely autistic child the day after his immunizations. Its called mercury, thermisol, whatever you want to label the poison put into immunizations. He is now 8 yrs old, non-verbal, not potty trained, and is in a re-hab center, hundreds of
miles away from his parents, with many, many, other children in his same age group who were also poisoned.
The day after.... So sorry this process continues in our "enlightened" society. I appreciate our one daughter who declines having vaccinations /shots put into her precious children. I stand by her in this decision.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

I haven't disputed any of this. But you are assuming that the incidence of cancer, asthma and ADHD is directly attributed to processed food when in fact you don't know if that is true. Have you eliminated the possibility of pesticides, environmental pollutants, hybrid fruits (an apple from yesteryear was quite different from an apple today!), and a myriad of other possibilities? Right now I'm working on a theory with my son that perhaps because of some environmental factors he lacks the needed enzymes to tolerate fruit. That doesn't mean I think table sugar is healthy. I certainly don't. But table sugar doesn't cause my son to behave violently.
I'm not assuming that cancer or ADHD is directly attributed to processed foods, I KNOW that it is directly attributed to processed foods and the food one eats AS WELL AS "pesticides, environmental pollutants, hybrid fruits, and a myriad of other possibilities". So I agree with you! Food and nutrition do play a large role in cancer and adhd. I didn't say it's the "only" thing since there are many other factors that can cause these things. However, I can say that in my case, it WAS just the nutrition that we changed. My dad was diagnosed with cancer about 5 years ago and was advised to get chemo. But luckily since I've shared a lot of truths and books about cancer with him, he has decided to change his diet instead. No more sugar, no sodas, no fast food and eats strickly organic fruits and vegetables, etc. And guess what? He's healthier and stronger than before, not dead or half dead from chemo with a $100,000 bill. This also hit home to me because my uncle (my dad's brother) was diagnosed with cancer 3 years prior to my dad but unfortunately, he chose chemo. He died less than a year after his chemo treatments from the treatment, NOT the cancer. So cancer is very real and personal to me. I'm not just reading something from a book and stating some conclusions or broad statements or theories.

As for ADHD, my son was diagnosed with adhd 5 years ago and I've also helped him eat a lot more healthy. Even though I know that he doesn't really have "adhd" since it's a made up psychiatric label that is completely subjective. I'm so glad I'm not drugging him up. He is actually a very smart kid, is top in his class in Math, so I don't have a problem with him. He has a great zeal for life and such a creative personality that all kids should have.

I do not think I have the answers for everyone so I apologize if I came off that way. I do know that I do have facts and answers that have worked for my son and my dad. So I'm not one of those that have "read a little and think I have answers for everyone", I've read a lot (over 400 books and counting) and know I have answers and truths that have worked. I've learned not just from books and videos, but I've lived through it from my life experiences too. ;)

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Father of ADHD admitted it was a fictitious disease...

Post by Army Of Truth »

Before his death, father of ADHD admitted it was a fictitious disease

http://www.naturalnews.com/040938_adhd_ ... iatry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(NaturalNews) If you or someone you know has a child that has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), chances are the child is actually just fine. At least this is what the "father" of ADHD, Leon Eisenberg, would presumably say if he were still alive. On his death bed, this psychiatrist and autism pioneer admitted that ADHD is essentially a "fictitious disease," which means that millions of young children today are being needlessly prescribed severe mind-altering drugs that will set them up for a life of drug addiction and failure.

As explained by The Sons of Liberty host Bradlee Dean, who also writes for The D.C. Clothesline, ADHD was merely a theory developed by Eisenberg. It was never actually proven to exist as a verifiable disease, despite the fact that Eisenberg and many others profited handsomely from its widespread diagnosis. And modern psychiatry continues to profit as well, helping also to fill the coffers of the pharmaceutical industry by getting children addicted early to dangerous psychostimulant drugs like Ritalin (methylphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine, dextroamphetamine mixed salts).

"ADHD is fraud intended to justify starting children on a life of drug addiction," said Dr. Edward C. Hamlyn, a founding member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, back in 1998 about the phony condition. Adding to this sentiment, psychiatrists Peter Breggin and Sami Timimi, both of whom oppose pathologizing the symptoms of ADHD, say that ADHD is more of a social construct than it is an objective "disorder."

Psychiatric profession all about generating obscene profits for Big Pharma
The purpose all along for pathologizing ADHD symptoms, of course, was to generate more profits for the drug industry. According to the citizen watchdog group Citizens Commission on Human Rights International (CCHRI), roughly 20 million American children today are taking dangerous, but expensive, psychiatric drugs for made-up behavioral conditions like ADHD. And another one million or so children have been blatantly and admittedly misdiagnosed with phony behavioral conditions for which psychiatric medications are being prescribed.

"Remember, there are two ways drug companies can make money: Invent new drugs, and invent new diseases already invented drugs can treat," writes Dr. Jay Parkinson, M.D., M.P.H., about the fake disease-creation industry. "In the past decade or so, Big Pharma has created no less than 10 new novel drugs per year," he adds, noting that many of the people who have been told they suffer from ADHD actually suffer from "the consequence of bad design," meaning a conventional social and educational system that is unable and unwilling to recognize unique individuality.

This is definitely true for Jacob Barnett, the 14-year-old autistic genius whose mother was told that her son would probably never read or write. Today, Jacob is already working on his Master's Degree in quantum physics while most of his peers are still in junior high. He is also currently developing his own original theory in astrophysics, according to recent reports.

"The psychiatric/pharmaceutical industry spends billions of dollars a year to convince the public, legislators and the press that psychiatric disorders such as Bi-Polar Disorder, Depression, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc. are medical diseases on par with verifiable medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease," explains CCHRI. "Yet unlike real medical disease, there are no scientific tests to verify the medical existence of any psychiatric disorder."

:-o :-o :-o #-o #-o #-o :ymsigh:

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...from the thread, VACCINE INFOWAR IN CARDSTON COUNTRY:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9764&start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dconrad000 wrote:...posted this on another thread, recently. It contains important information about polio and where you may still be able to get a dvd of neuro-specialist and brain surgeon, Russell Blaylock, MD's presentation on how vaccinations cause brain damage.

dconrad000 wrote:
Since neuro-specialist and brain surgeon Dr Russell Blaylock's presentation has apparently been censored, I'll share from memory a salient point or two from his extremely credible and vaccine-industry-devastating presentation.

1. As is typical with all other contagious diseases in the history of the world, the population developed natural immunity which had nothing-what-so-ever to do with the vaccine. In countries where no polio vaccine was given, the mortality and morbidity rates declined at the same rate or better than in those countries where the vaccination was given. Several other sources document this, besides Dr Blaylock. Go to page 7 of the thread, Vaccine Infowar In Cardston County:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9764&start=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. The polio epidemic was greatly accentuated by the DPT vaccine. Dr Blaylock, in his presentation revealed that he had discovered from his research of the data -- that the vast majority of those in the United States, who suffered death or permanent paralysis from contracting the polio virus, had been vaccinated with the DPT shot prior -- which impaired their immune systems and rendered them unable to adequately defend themselves against the polio virus, which for most healthy, non-immuno-compromised people is typically a very mild disease with no residual effects. This is one of the Vaccine Industry's dirty little secrets they want very much to be kept hidden. They count on people continuing to believe the myth -- that vaccinations saved them from the terrible monster, polio -- when in reality vaccinations had actually worsened the polio epidemic, which through the natural course of history died out despite the vaccines, not because of them...just as it did in countries where no polio vaccinations had been given. Of course Big Pharma and their powerful propaganda machine stepped in and claimed that they had saved us. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was actually God's marvelous creation, our bodies -- and the ingenius, incredible immune systems that God placed in our bodies -- that saved us...not Big Pharma's vaccines...and that principle is even further strengthened by diligently living the Spirit of all the verses contained in section 89.

Although the several online versions of that presentation by Russell Blaylock, M.D. appear to no longer be available, if one has an interest, I found one place that might still have some in dvd version for about $20.00, here:

http://www.radioliberty.com/vvabd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having seen the presentation a couple of times in the past year or so, I highly recommend it for viewing if you can possibly get your hands on it.

I have no fear what-so-ever for the coming plagues that shall surely come and for which man's puny arm, including Big Pharma and their vaccines shall not stop. The great promise of the Word of Wisdom and the protective power of the Priesthood are more than good enough for me. That is where I place my trust. If others feel the need to give themselves and family members over to Big Pharma's dangerous and evil, aborted-fetal-cell (many of them) containing witch's brew, vaccines -- that is their prerogative.

Unsurprisingly, thus far, that approach has been a great health blessing to our family. None of our 5 kids have allergies or the many typical health problems that so many of their vaccinated cousins do...and believe me, there is a plague of allergies and other auto-immune disorders and neurological disorders out there, due to vaccinations...due to parents and grandparents giving into the fear and buying the myth that Big Pharma, your government, the World Health Organization, the United Nations, the eugenicist elite, the modern-day-secret-combination and their mouth-piece, the main-stream media wants you to. It should be obvious that each of those I just named, very, very much want you to vaccinate. I advocate doing just the opposite. Vaccinations are a fraud and they certainly are very, very dangerous. Sadly, I know so very, very many that have been vaccine-damaged -- permanently.

Here is the above referenced censored presentation on how vaccines cause brain damage by neuro-specialist and brain surgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D. It is extemely credible testimony from an honest and courageous expert witness. This presentation has repeatedly undergone censorship and removal in the past, so watch it while you still can. This is definitely something that every parent and grandparent should see.

To view it full screen, click this link:

http://youtu.be/fyCJkiHykkk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOW VACCINES CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE
neuro-specialist and brain surgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Re: Father of ADHD admitted it was a fictitious disease...

Post by Bee Prepared »

Army Of Truth wrote:Before his death, father of ADHD admitted it was a fictitious disease

http://www.naturalnews.com/040938_adhd_ ... iatry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(NaturalNews) If you or someone you know has a child that has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), chances are the child is actually just fine. At least this is what the "father" of ADHD, Leon Eisenberg, would presumably say if he were still alive. On his death bed, this psychiatrist and autism pioneer admitted that ADHD is essentially a "fictitious disease," which means that millions of young children today are being needlessly prescribed severe mind-altering drugs that will set them up for a life of drug addiction and failure.

As explained by The Sons of Liberty host Bradlee Dean, who also writes for The D.C. Clothesline, ADHD was merely a theory developed by Eisenberg. It was never actually proven to exist as a verifiable disease, despite the fact that Eisenberg and many others profited handsomely from its widespread diagnosis. And modern psychiatry continues to profit as well, helping also to fill the coffers of the pharmaceutical industry by getting children addicted early to dangerous psychostimulant drugs like Ritalin (methylphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine, dextroamphetamine mixed salts).

"ADHD is fraud intended to justify starting children on a life of drug addiction," said Dr. Edward C. Hamlyn, a founding member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, back in 1998 about the phony condition. Adding to this sentiment, psychiatrists Peter Breggin and Sami Timimi, both of whom oppose pathologizing the symptoms of ADHD, say that ADHD is more of a social construct than it is an objective "disorder."

Psychiatric profession all about generating obscene profits for Big Pharma
The purpose all along for pathologizing ADHD symptoms, of course, was to generate more profits for the drug industry. According to the citizen watchdog group Citizens Commission on Human Rights International (CCHRI), roughly 20 million American children today are taking dangerous, but expensive, psychiatric drugs for made-up behavioral conditions like ADHD. And another one million or so children have been blatantly and admittedly misdiagnosed with phony behavioral conditions for which psychiatric medications are being prescribed.

"Remember, there are two ways drug companies can make money: Invent new drugs, and invent new diseases already invented drugs can treat," writes Dr. Jay Parkinson, M.D., M.P.H., about the fake disease-creation industry. "In the past decade or so, Big Pharma has created no less than 10 new novel drugs per year," he adds, noting that many of the people who have been told they suffer from ADHD actually suffer from "the consequence of bad design," meaning a conventional social and educational system that is unable and unwilling to recognize unique individuality.

This is definitely true for Jacob Barnett, the 14-year-old autistic genius whose mother was told that her son would probably never read or write. Today, Jacob is already working on his Master's Degree in quantum physics while most of his peers are still in junior high. He is also currently developing his own original theory in astrophysics, according to recent reports.

"The psychiatric/pharmaceutical industry spends billions of dollars a year to convince the public, legislators and the press that psychiatric disorders such as Bi-Polar Disorder, Depression, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc. are medical diseases on par with verifiable medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease," explains CCHRI. "Yet unlike real medical disease, there are no scientific tests to verify the medical existence of any psychiatric disorder."

:-o :-o :-o #-o #-o #-o :ymsigh:
Thank-you, thank-you! If this stops one person from suffering the devastation I have watched my daughter and her family endure with
a severely autistic child, then bravo! I have worked in the young women's program most of my adult life. I keep in contact with these girls
via e-mail, faceboock etc. Many, many of them have fertility problems. What is that all about? Is society being dumbed down, population
being controlled via immunizations? Shall we say, " Secret Combinations"? I think so.