Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Post by marc »

The title is a bit deceptive and please forgive me for starting yet another Ron Paul thread. You probably clicked it to find a list of reasons why you shouldn't vote for him. Well, I'm personally challenging anyone to cite legitimate reasons to give your vote to someone else besides him, even if you are his supporter. His voting history/record? His character? His values? His....religion???

Why is he NOT the best candidate? Anything?? :-?

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Post by SpeedRacer »

Voting for Ron Paul is taking a vote away from a candidate that can be elected president, and therefore contributes to the Obama re-election effort.

I know I am the Devil for saying this. Just keeping it real.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

Because Jesus is the best choice.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Ron Paul stands up like a Salmon swimming upstream. Whether he is elected or not, it is his message we vote for by voting for him. It has never been about him, it is about his message: A Constitutional America. Yes, it will be hard work and there is or will be a lot of sacrifice required to get this country back to where it needs to be, but when the Savior comes, it is not going to be any easier. Right now we are called of the Savior to stand up for truth and righteousness. What are we doing to get this message across? Ron Paul at least preaches a message that this country was meant to be something that it is currently not. It is not the man as much as his message we should be standing behind! (IMHO)

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Songbird, that is a wonderful answer and I agree. But you're making a case FOR our friend. That's not what I'm looking for. This is purely for the sake of debate.

SpeedRacer, you have offered a compelling and thought provoking answer. I look forward to hearing any other truly compelling reasons, if there are any. If nobody here can, then it stands to reason that nobody else--family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc--will be able to either. And if someone here can, then I will have an intelligent reply/rebuttal for them, in which case, Songbird's reply would make a greater impact.

So far the media, as far as I can tell, can't find any dirt on him. So they simply ridicule him. And saying the Holy Ghost answered your prayer is not acceptable. I've already read two different people receiving an answer to vote for two different candidates.
Last edited by marc on August 25th, 2011, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster.
Can you be more specific?
Nan wrote:And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.
Fair enough, but then isn't his voting record in and of itself a feat? Contrast that with anything Obama accomplished before being elected. And who hasn't said all the stuff we like to hear? He's gotta say something. And if they all say that, then we have to fall back on their record, whatever it may be. He's gotta say something. You gotta start somewhere.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.
Wow. I'd like to hear your foreign policy ideas? You think we should be in all the conflicts that we are?

Hasn't accomplished anything? After 30 years of preaching in the wilderness, the entire debate this election cycle is CENTERED around his ideas. Ending the Fed or auditing the fed would not even be part of the CONVERSATION without Ron Paul.

Maybe he hasn't gotten a lot of legislation with his name on it passed. So what? He is One out of 435. Most of our problems arenot due to good legislation not being passed, it is due to bad legislation which Ron Paul has a perfect record of voting against...you can't hold him responsible for things that passed over his protest - often he was the lone vote or in the extreme minority voting against...not sure what you think he should have done that he didn't.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

Jason wrote:He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).
What does that mean, you say things like this alot without explaining what you mean, what good is that!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

moonwhim wrote:
Jason wrote:He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).
What does that mean, you say things like this alot without explaining what you mean, what good is that!

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

In my efforts to make many LDSs of my acquaintance aware of the virtues of Ron Paul as a presidential candidate I have listened to and read various reasons given by LDSs who are looking for reasons to disuade themselves as well as others from voting for Paul and vote for Romney. Here are the main reasons (in my words) these LDS people have given me for discounting Ron Paul.

He is not popular and hasn't a chance of winning the GOP primary and is considered something of a joke by most American voters
A vote for Paul is one vote less and badly needed by Romney
He is not presidential material
We desperately need a Priesthood holder as US President
He does not have the business success that Romney has.
Since he is not a Priesthood holder he cannot receive inspiration from the Lord.

It seems to me that most LDS voters, who are generally not politically astute, think an active LDS is the best answer for America now and some even think the Lord is giving us this opportunity to support a good, worthy Priesthood holder.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

there won't be an election?

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?
RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?
The thread asked for a reason NOT to vote for Ron Paul (no mention of other candidates).....I provided one. Whether it is weak or not (meaningful, just noise, pointless, etc) is up to the respective individual. That's one of the best I can come up with (only put out a single reason - i.e. no list).....so if you want to get all huffy puffy defensive....go ahead. lundbaek listed 6....where's the response to him?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

durangout wrote:
RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?
It is ironic is it not.....

AllTen
captain of 100

Post by AllTen »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.
Oh yeah, Ron Paul Bears an Empty Pot For Americans
http://www.newsli.com/2007/12/06/presid ... -americans

LateOutOfBed
captain of 100

Post by LateOutOfBed »

Read "The Great and Abominable Church" by Verlen Andersen. It totally changed my thinking when it comes to voting. He points out that he believes (and I agree) that we will be judged based on what laws and people we support in government. It comes down to the war in heaven isn't over... it's just been extended to this earthly existence. I believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that truly supports freedom of choice (God's plan and constitutionalism). I'm not going to vote for someone just because "it's a vote for/against" some other candidate. I have to support God's plan of freedom. It's my belief that nobody else does.

-- LateOutOfBed

AllTen
captain of 100

Post by AllTen »

durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other candidates say that 911 was an inside job?
RP refutes the 9/11 gov't conspiracy theory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 conspiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?
The Irony! It was after I learned about 9/11 and the truth of our Awful Situation that I become a dedicated supporter of Ron Paul. I agree with many that it would be nice to have a candidate that fully understands our awful situation and spoke with courage on the topic. My opinion: Ron is just too good of a guy to see how deep the corruption is around him. If he says that 9/11 was not an inside Job, then it is what he truly believes and the master deception of that day even got him, but the amazing thing, to his credit, he never sacrificed our Liberties (Constitution) for safety in its aftermath.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Here's what separates Ron from all of the others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6D3uPLl ... h_response" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

AllTen wrote:
durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other candidates say that 911 was an inside job?
RP refutes the 9/11 gov't conspiracy theory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 conspiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?
The Irony! It was after I learned about 9/11 and the truth of our Awful Situation that I become a dedicated supporter of Ron Paul. I agree with many that it would be nice to have a candidate that fully understands our awful situation and spoke with courage on the topic. My opinion: Ron is just too good of a guy to see how deep the corruption is around him. If he says that 9/11 was not an inside Job, then it is what he truly believes and the master deception of that day even got him, but the amazing thing, to his credit, he never sacrificed our Liberties (Constitution) for safety in its aftermath.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

Jason wrote: lundbaek listed 6....where's the response to him?

Take a deep breath. I can't spend 24/7 on this site.

I responded to yours because as far as I know, no other candidates believe any differently on that subject, so it would be impossible to select another based on that.
Last edited by ktg on August 25th, 2011, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

durangout wrote: RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?
If supporting EVERY view of your candidate is required, who do you support?

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

LateOutOfBed wrote:Read "The Great and Abominable Church" by Verlen Andersen. It totally changed my thinking when it comes to voting. He points out that he believes (and I agree) that we will be judged based on what laws and people we support in government. It comes down to the war in heaven isn't over... it's just been extended to this earthly existence. I believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that truly supports freedom of choice (God's plan and constitutionalism). I'm not going to vote for someone just because "it's a vote for/against" some other candidate. I have to support God's plan of freedom. It's my belief that nobody else does.

-- LateOutOfBed
Elder Andersen's books changed the way I think as well.
If only more people would read his books. Others and I have even posted where the books can be downloaded for free, but we all have our agency.

Pres. Benson's books and books he's recommended (None dare call it conspiracy) also support RP's foreign policy.