Unassisted Birth

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
MilesTeg
captain of 10

Unassisted Birth

Post by MilesTeg »

Hi
My wife has had an unassisted birth with our last son at home and we are doing the same thing again with her current pregnancy(39weeks). She has had no scans or anything to do with the medical profession and she has faith in physiological(non intervention/distractions) birth and letting nature take its course.

I thought she was "Nutz" when she wanted a homebirth let alone an unassisted birth.
The few family members and friends who knew of her intentions where like "thats what doctors are for"(standard) and " You can only have them in Hospitals"(uninformed) and from the ignorant Doctor/OBS "your child will drown in water" in regards to waterbirth.

My only regret was not seriously trusting her completely (fait accompli).
Her choice showed me the Power of the God Almighty has and fear does not exist when God is next to you. For my wife through the whole birthing experience through to the current pregnancy(9th) it is clear God is in control always and will watch over us. Her previous births in Hospital where just very ordinary in comparison but still too many dumb questions, annoying little things during birth , hospital policy and just people being people I guess. Natural but not physiological in the way birth should be.

From the simple choice of the way she wants to still give birth unassisted as being described as "oh you must be soo brave" and "courageous mummy", to my wife birth is a natural process which is not crazy not stupid not brave but definately informed and that Birth is only as Safe as life gets.

Cheers :)

bbrown
captain of 100

Re: Unassisted Birth

Post by bbrown »

Unassisted might be the way we go next time around if we are off-grid and homesteading. Will have to see, but kudos to you! Do you have any favorite book suggestions?

MilesTeg
captain of 10

Post by MilesTeg »

Top choice would be Gentle Birth GentleMothering by Dr. Sarah J Buckley. Goes into detail about how the hormones work in labour, birth and breastfeeding.

MilesTeg
captain of 10

Post by MilesTeg »

Hi if anyone is interested my wife had a baby boy at home waterbirth 12/5/2011 ,I missed the birth by 20minutes but my 3sons and my daughter where there, they suprised me as I came running through the do while mummy was holding my new son there was not a dry eye amongst my kids and myself
As for the kids experiance they where just all Amazed and could not stop talking about the birth all night even still today my daughter wrote a huge 3page diary blog my oldest son wrote a summary about homebirths and how much "In awe of his mum's super power" and my youngest boys think that mum's got 2super powers "shooting breast milk and shooting out babies" cheeky boys :) :)

gooseguy11
captain of 100

Post by gooseguy11 »

Congrats on the new boy!!! Very cool experience.

MilesTeg
captain of 10

Post by MilesTeg »

CharlesDFreemanx wrote:Unassisted Birth is not supported by me. I remember feeling like I had to get off the horse, and I jumped. The sad thing was that if I had just sat

down and really tried to slow the horse to a walk, I am sure everything would have been fine. The panic

got me.
yes my wife shares that same view but from a her experiance she delt with the pain better at home just her peronal opinion because of her past experiances in Hospital was not that great and the recovery time at home was alot more easier beinng relaxed and family/familiar enviromeent she just felt more at ease

Sorry too hear that the "Panic got to me(you)"we all have are trials and fears it just shows how we deal with them in are choices hospitals/ homebirths/unassisted birth/ Lotus births ,life in general the more your informed the more you are able too choose every woman should have the right too choose :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

My wife is getting ready to give birth here any day to #3 here at home with a midwife. Our first two were induced in a hospital but my wife did not like the experience and pursued looking into other alternatives so here we go. I'd support her in any thing she chose to do; I and my three sisters were all born at home as well. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

MilesTeg
captain of 10

Post by MilesTeg »

5tev3 wrote:My wife is getting ready to give birth here any day to #3 here at home with a midwife. Our first two were induced in a hospital but my wife did not like the experience and pursued looking into other alternatives so here we go. I'd support her in any thing she chose to do; I and my three sisters were all born at home as well. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
Awesome stuff mate yeah good luck hope it works out for you guys and everything is smooth let me know
cheers :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

MilesTeg wrote:
5tev3 wrote:My wife is getting ready to give birth here any day to #3 here at home with a midwife. Our first two were induced in a hospital but my wife did not like the experience and pursued looking into other alternatives so here we go. I'd support her in any thing she chose to do; I and my three sisters were all born at home as well. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
Awesome stuff mate yeah good luck hope it works out for you guys and everything is smooth let me know
My wife gave birth last night to a healthy baby girl. She did it all without any drugs and after the process said "I thought it was going to be a lot worse than that!" She went into labor at around 2pm and the baby was born at 11pm. Her water broke in the tub 15 minutes before the baby was born and at that time the contractions were a lot rougher. After about five of these contractions, the last two appearing to be the most uncomfortable, the baby was here!

Having had two babies in the hospital the conventional method, I can honestly say that the at home route was vastly superior of an experience by far. It was a perfect birth experience. I think the key to the whole thing was the mother staying relaxed and in control. Towards the end, eye contact played an important role and I would touch her arm or leg that looked tense and tell her to relax that part of her. She was so in control that she could relax any part of her body once it was pointed out to her that she was tensing up. Maintaining eye contact and encouragement helped her let her body do what it does naturally.

Because the mom was so relaxed, the baby didn't spend much time in the birth canal so she didn't have a cone-head like the others ;) Also, she didn't need an episiotomy at all. She held the baby while the cord stayed connected for a while; you could feel the pulse in the cord as mom's heart was still pumping blood through the placenta to the baby; it was a pretty surreal experience.

A midwife and two assistants were there helping with every single part of the process including preparing food, snacks and cleaning up all the mess; they did a wonderful job. My wife climbed into bed with the baby and that is where she spent the night. The baby never screamed or cried, she's been alert and happy the entire time. Unlike the last two girls, this one latched on immediately and began to eat.

We read a lot of books, watched several videos and movies about birth and we followed everything as closely as possible. In the end, we just kind of instinctively did what we felt we needed to at the time and you know, we just went with the flow and everything went awesome!

If you are healthy and a good candidate for a home birth, I could not recommend it more, it's light night and day. My wife is completely happy with the experience and we will probably be doing it the same way again in the future; I don't think we'll ever have a child in the hospital again. If you live in Vegas, PM me and I can send you the info of the midwife and her team that we used. They were awesome!

MilesTeg
captain of 10

Post by MilesTeg »

5tev3 wrote:
MilesTeg wrote:
My wife gave birth last night to a healthy baby girl. She did it all without any drugs and after the process said "I thought it was going to be a lot worse than that!" She went into labor at around 2pm and the baby was born at 11pm. Her water broke in the tub 15 minutes before the baby was born and at that time the contractions were a lot rougher. After about five of these contractions, the last two appearing to be the most uncomfortable, the baby was here!

Having had two babies in the hospital the conventional method, I can honestly say that the at home route was vastly superior of an experience by far. It was a perfect birth experience. I think the key to the whole thing was the mother staying relaxed and in control. Towards the end, eye contact played an important role and I would touch her arm or leg that looked tense and tell her to relax that part of her. She was so in control that she could relax any part of her body once it was pointed out to her that she was tensing up. Maintaining eye contact and encouragement helped her let her body do what it does naturally.

Because the mom was so relaxed, the baby didn't spend much time in the birth canal so she didn't have a cone-head like the others ;) Also, she didn't need an episiotomy at all. She held the baby while the cord stayed connected for a while; you could feel the pulse in the cord as mom's heart was still pumping blood through the placenta to the baby; it was a pretty surreal experience.

A midwife and two assistants were there helping with every single part of the process including preparing food, snacks and cleaning up all the mess; they did a wonderful job. My wife climbed into bed with the baby and that is where she spent the night. The baby never screamed or cried, she's been alert and happy the entire time. Unlike the last two girls, this one latched on immediately and began to eat.

We read a lot of books, watched several videos and movies about birth and we followed everything as closely as possible. In the end, we just kind of instinctively did what we felt we needed to at the time and you know, we just went with the flow and everything went awesome!

If you are healthy and a good candidate for a home birth, I could not recommend it more, it's light night and day. My wife is completely happy with the experience and we will probably be doing it the same way again in the future; I don't think we'll ever have a child in the hospital again. If you live in Vegas, PM me and I can send you the info of the midwife and her team that we used. They were awesome!
fantastic stuff we had the hospital experiance with the first3 but the last 2experiances was truly AWESOME very spiritual and very relaxed familiar enviroment she's' comfortable she only has too worry about the birth letting go was so easier for my wife at home she believes that female body needs too go into its natural or carnal state releasing all the hormones/adrenalin which contributed more importantly in the recovery almost like coming from a massive high she's very in tune with her body(she always knows what baby she is having without the scans)
once again CONGRATS to your wife and you and all your family and the support team great effort :) :) :) yeah can pm me if you want anytime mate