Solar Funnel Cooker Youtube presentation by DrJones

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Solar Funnel Cooker Youtube presentation by DrJones

Post by BroJones »

Here you go -- if you like the info, pls pass these links around!!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUcAyse ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to make and use the solar funnel cooker.

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dT6kY54 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part 2 also talks about using the solar funnel as a REFRIGERATOR at night. I also show the charcoal briquet oven at the end.

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Re: Solar Funnel Cooker Youtube presentation by DrJones

Post by Scarecrow »

Deleted
Last edited by Scarecrow on February 15th, 2013, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hope
captain of 10

Post by Hope »

Thank you, Dr. Jones! I had no idea about the refrigeration method and I like the charcoal oven as well. I'll be making these and passing your videos along to family and friends.

Hope
captain of 10

Post by Hope »

About how many times one can use the same cooking bag before it needs replacing? I'm trying to figure out how many I'll need to last at least a year. Thanks!

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Thank you. I am going to have my kids help me make one and learn to cook with it.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Very simple. Great! Thanks for sharing!

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

Thanks! I looked up your instructions last summer, and made one. Actually, mine was modified a little because it used a reflective car windowshade from D.I.
I cooked with it a few times and was delighted.

Your instructions are on my "favorite resources" webpage. (http://www.theprovidenthomemaker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I'll add your videos to it, as well.

waking
captain of 100

Post by waking »

Thank you for posting this. It will for sure save me some money and worry. I'm sending this to my mom in Louisiana. Great ideas.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

I'll just add, the plastic cooler used as a cooking box needs a thin piece of wood on the bottom, I have seen the plastic melt. It's necessary to fill in all the space not used by the bottle, pot or whatever your cooking in, insulating material has to fill in all the extra space. My grandma used straw, But we found if we used a role of cardboard around the pot, and stuffed straw or other insulating material around the outside of the cardboard roll we got much better results. Makes the cooking box easier to reuse!

We also found it helpful to place a hot pad over the top of the pot before we closed the lid. Just open the box lid, use the pad to lift out the pot and your eating! The food cooked in this manner will never burn, never boil over, never be ruined! Of course, it has to be hot before you put it into the cooking box. :)

We use enamel cooking pots.

Great job Steve, that Mylar base cooker is the best. I experimented with making ice with mine, during the night a sudden unexpected windstorm blew it into the next county, did saved the bottle! Have got to get another Mylar cooker, the Haiti kind!

Bob

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

From the comments to the video:
I never noticed til today but Dr. Jones reminds me of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew from The Muppets XD
tee-hee :D O:-)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks for the comments!
Hope wrote:About how many times one can use the same cooking bag before it needs replacing? I'm trying to figure out how many I'll need to last at least a year. Thanks!
They last until they tear or get a hole, which is unlikely if you're careful. They don't "wear out" from using them in the sun to hold the hot air in. I would count on using for 2-4 weeks for each bag, if you're careful. (Extras on hand for the unusual wear-and-tear.)

Thanks, Bob -- yes, put wood under the hot pot in the "cooler".

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Hey Dr. J,
If I have a big glass jar that I can fit a smaller glass jar into, will that work instead of using the roasting bag?

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

The double glass jar will work, but the plastic bag is easier to use. You still have to get a very hot little bottle out of the bigger bottle. If you have the claspers that are meant to remove smaller bottles, then what you propose will work with insulation (Wood) in the bottom of the big jar. However the plastic bag allows you to use pint, quart or even two quart bottles. But, we've found that it takes constant attention to keep the solar cooker facing the sun heating food in the two quart bottle. We limited our bottle size to one quart! But then we're not feeding the whole neighborhood.

Bob

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Well what about those really wide mouth screw top (or better yet glass lid) flour canisters? They'd hold a big jar and be reusable indefinitely. I like that idea smallfarm.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

bobhenstra wrote:The double glass jar will work, but the plastic bag is easier to use. You still have to get a very hot little bottle out of the bigger bottle. If you have the claspers that are meant to remove smaller bottles, then what you propose will work with insulation (Wood) in the bottom of the big jar. However the plastic bag allows you to use pint, quart or even two quart bottles. But, we've found that it takes constant attention to keep the solar cooker facing the sun heating food in the two quart bottle. We limited our bottle size to one quart! But then we're not feeding the whole neighborhood.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Was just thinking it'd be easier to keep the glass jar intact than a plastic bag, plus if it came down to it, glass would be easier to replace in a non-industrial society.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Outside class jar must be tempered. Steve experimented with different glass items that may be used in an oven. But really, stocking up on plastic oven bags is the best idea, they can be reused many times if handled carefully.

Bob

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

Got an idea from Nextworld TV titled Desert Fridge. I haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds viable.

What you do is put a clay pot inside a clay pot, fill the space in between with sand, and water the sand three times during the day. The inner pot is cooled as the water in the sand evaporates, so you could use the solar cooker for a refrigerator at night, and the clay pots during the heat of the day.

Here’s the link:

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/innov ... ridge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

The pot cooling method reminds me the canvas bag water coolers we used when I was a dumb stupid kid. I remember I would drink the water, and was often very happy to have it, but it always tasted like---canvas! They are available now with plastic liners with small holes that keeps the canvas taste from the water. When ever we tripped, two of those bags hung on the front of the pickup, the water was kept cool by evaporation. When we set up camp, we hung the bags from tree limbs, in the shade, so a slight breeze would slowly evaporate the water seeping through the canvas and keep the water inside cool.

http://www.chiriquichatter.net/blog/200 ... r-coolers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I had a good discussion on alternative energy with Gary Hendershot which was recorded last evening -- see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6rSVCx1z0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After his news-with-views, and technical difficulties, we get started at about the 30:55 mark. You can tell, I enjoyed the discussion. Views about fusion, cold fusion, new dynamic energy possibilities also.

Enjoy.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I've been asked where one can purchase the solar funnel cooker, if available. Yes -
The cheapest ready-to-use version (at $33 including priority-mail shipping) that I know of, is from:

http://www.sclaustoys.com/Solar%20Oven.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Readily portable, too.

PS -- I never made a dime from my invention, but was glad to give it FREELY to the world.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Thank you my friend, I plan on purchasing a solar cooker for each of my kids!

Bob