Cloth Diapers

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
sixgunsue
captain of 100

Re: Cloth Diapers

Post by sixgunsue »

Yes, I too believe in good stewardship not earth worship. However I may be a little crunchy when it comes to stuff from China
and my kids. They have had such a bad recent history of selling us toxic stuff. But I'm sensible enough to look into a possible bargain. I have seen them on Ebay and been very curious. I wonder if you can also use them as AI 2's so you can have organic cotton or hemp next to babies skin. Please pm me the info and I'll take another look. Thanks bb !

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

P.S. I totally understand where you are at with the diapers and the work and cost. I too had 3 in dipes once upon a time...
sssshudderrr. It will be so nice to have only one little baby and many older kids helping! YEY!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

I'll PM you the info...

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

Thanks.

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

Ammonia =
Funkiness...and burn
I think front loaders are good for some things but not others..
OK, after doing some research on washing dipes, I found some interesting info.
First, front loaders aren't always the best for washing things. I've even noticed with my towels.
It depends on how hot your water gets and how much water you can get into a soak.
I've been reading on All About Cloth Diapers a discussion for when diapers get "the Funk"
They get ammonia residue really bad and it can cause burns on baby. The general consensus was
it depends on what kind of detergent you have, what material your dipes are made of and how well you are able to soak
them. Many, many women wished they had a top loader because they sometimes need to soak them to de ammonia their dipes
and it takes many rinses and washes in a front loader to get it out, sometimes unsuccessfully. This hardly saves water or money.
It often comes back in a few weeks because of the lack of volume of water in the FL.
Also many people find that the synthetic materials/pads/inserts hold onto the smells moreso than cotton or bamboo, etc.
I happen to finally have a FL now, after 15 yrs of marriage and 6 kids! However we kept our old TL in the basement and it will be perfect for those overnight soaks as often times I would come down to change over a load only to find it never drained and spun. How convenient!!! I won't have to come down and turn it off to soak!
Anyway here is the link for anyone who is having funkiness and wants to read the discussion ...
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/does-fu ... ally-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and more info....
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/category/washing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

Actually make that, 22 years kids of laundry, marriages aside.

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

More great info on washing...
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/washing-diapers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

HA ha ha! People are actually complaining that their high-efficiency/low-water appliances aren't using enough water! Seriously funny.

Of course, I had one (belt went out --came with our house) and I had less problem with the front load than with the top-load simply because I could automatically set it to do an extra rinse at the end and my older (free) top-load doesn't have that option. Also, high-efficiency/low-water washers already need something like 1/10th the soap, then you cut that by 1/10th (or whatever) for the diapers and most people are probably WAY overdoing it with their soap and causing half the residue problem. Just my 2 cents...

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

bbrown wrote:HA ha ha! People are actually complaining that their high-efficiency/low-water appliances aren't using enough water! Seriously funny.

Of course, I had one (belt went out --came with our house) and I had less problem with the front load than with the top-load simply because I could automatically set it to do an extra rinse at the end and my older (free) top-load doesn't have that option. Also, high-efficiency/low-water washers already need something like 1/10th the soap, then you cut that by 1/10th (or whatever) for the diapers and most people are probably WAY overdoing it with their soap and causing half the residue problem. Just my 2 cents...
Well for soaking, it's a problem. I have a hard time bleaching stuff and often have to use my tub. Maybe I haven't mastered all my FL settings yet, but I have noticed adding bleach is a fruitless exercise.
"most people are probably WAY overdoing it with their soap and causing half the residue problem."
I think you're probably right on that one. I cannot believe how much detergent people use, I've always used 1/2 or less than the recommended and since I've learned how toxic it is in the last 5 yrs or so, I really cut back. I was using Shaklee for a while, (not selling!) but found Country Save HE powder to work fine for 1/2 the price and zero residue. People don't realize how toxins from household products leach right through our skin, especially for little babies. Ick!

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I have found Napisan to be excellent. I have used cloth nappies but did not have many as I was diligent in holding baby on a soft small pot when waking, when changing nappy, after a feed, and whenever the "look" of wanting to was obvious. Babies do not choose to relieve themselves into a nappy... if given the choice of sitting on a pot and keeping their nappy dry they will do so.