"moon bathed in blood"

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

"moon bathed in blood"

Post by NoGreaterLove »

There is an intersting quote by Joseph Smith in which he sheds some insight as to the "Moon turned to blood" prophecy. In his comments he uses the term "Moon bathed in blood".
Taking this account into consideration could it be that blood actually is spilt on the moon? What if the Moon were to hit the earth? Would it not be bathed in the blood of those it hit? What if we actually had a war of sorts in the Moon between two opposing people? Would not the Moon be bathed in the spilt blood?
What are your thoughts?

""The sign of the coming of the Son of Man—what is it? We do not know. Our revelation says simply: "And immediately there shall appear a great sign in heaven, and all people shall see it together." (D&C 88:93.) In 1843 someone by the name of Redding claimed to have seen this promised sign. In response to this claim, the Prophet Joseph Smith said: "I shall use my right"—his right as a prophet to know and identify the signs of the times—"and declare that, notwithstanding Mr. Redding may have seen a wonderful appearance in the clouds one morning about sunrise (which is nothing very uncommon in the winter season) he has not seen the sign of the Son of Man, as foretold by Jesus; neither has any man, nor will any man, until after the sun shall have been darkened and the moon bathed in blood; for the Lord hath not shown me any such sign." (Teachings, p. 280.) Then the Prophet quoted the famous statement from Amos, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets" (Amos 3:7), indicating that when the sign is given, the Lord's servants the prophets, including all the faithful saints, will know it for what it is, and thus be made aware that the long-expected day has arrived. ""

(Teachings, pp. 286-87.)(Bruce R. McConkie, The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982], 418.)

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "moon bathed in blood"

Post by Original_Intent »

I don;t think it has anything to do with blood being spilt on the moon. I don't see how that could be considered "bathed".

I believe it will be one of two things.

Either due to a massive volcano or volcanoes, which could both darken the sun and make the moon appear blood red, or

The sun could refer to Japan (land of the rising sun) and its being darkened could refer to the atomic bombs being dropped, or it could be the current situation with the tsunamis, earthquakes, and nuclear reactor meltdown, and the moon being bathed in blood could refer to Muslim countries which often use the crescent moon as their symbol. I'd say a good many of them have been bathed in blood... So the sign of the son of man, I have heard people predicting either Betelguese supernova or the comet Elenin close pass this fall as possibilities.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I think if the moon struck the earth, it would be an extinction-level catastrophe. Even a meteorite the size of Japan would do that.

waking
captain of 100

Post by waking »

Could it be that over the course of one night(hence the moon is out) that there will be a battle so bloody as has never been seen, meaning that night (when the moon is out) is bloody? I know it's a stretch..but ....

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LOL....everyone has bloodshot eyes...

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

waking wrote:Could it be that over the course of one night(hence the moon is out) that there will be a battle so bloody as has never been seen, meaning that night (when the moon is out) is bloody? I know it's a stretch..but ....
I have had that thought too.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

LORD TO POUR OUT SPIRIT UPON ALL FLESH. The time for the darkening of the sun and the turning of the moon as blood has not yet arrived; but the Lord has already commenced to pour out his Spirit upon all flesh, and we do find even now that the sons and daughters prophesy; the old men dream dreams, and the young men see visions
(Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 3 vols., edited by Bruce R. McConkie [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-1956], 1: 176.)

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

I've heard it argued that President Hinckley said this prophecy was fulfilled

"The vision of Joel has been fulfilled wherein he declared:
“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
“And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
“And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come.

“And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call” (Joel 2:28–32).

I am assuming no one here buys into that?

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

I know I have lived in some polluted areas, and when the moon is on the horizon behind the smog, it is blood red.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

John Locke wrote:I've heard it argued that President Hinckley said this prophecy was fulfilled

“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
“And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
“And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come.

“And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call” (Joel 2:28–32).

It seems pretty clear to me too.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Well...thats what I thought to but people on here are still arguing about when it will happen....I thought I might be missing something.

Joppa
captain of 100

Post by Joppa »

I think what's interesting about that quote is that the sun must be darkened and the moon turning to blood have to happen before we can see the sign of the Son of Man. Therefore if Pres. Hinckley meant to say it was fulfilled the next big sign is the sign of the Son of Man.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

John Locke wrote:I've heard it argued that President Hinckley said this prophecy was fulfilled

No, actually many do, but I think as the quote of Joel goes on, the intention of declaring a fulfillment becomes less certain. The quote was made in context to the first two passages, living in the fullness of times.

“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: Fulfilled and Fulfilling
“And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. Fulfilled and Fulfilling
“And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. Fulfilled and Fulfilling, think 9/11 as pillars of smoke or even the atomic bomb.
“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come. Not yet fulfilled but possibly being fulfilled, although there have been local instances of the moon turning to blood and the sun darkening, such as when the oil fields burned during the Iraq war.
“And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call” While we have spiritual deliverance in Mount Zion, we do NOT yet have physical deliverance either in Mount Zion, or any sort of deliverance in Jerusalem. Jerusalem is still a wicked city. Not fulfilled.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

is it possible that "and the moon into blood" could refer to when "blood" or man first stepped upon the moon?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

John Locke wrote:is it possible that "and the moon into blood" could refer to when "blood" or man first stepped upon the moon?
I really admire the creativity of many on this forum. It's obvious that a "Crip" and a "Blood" are going to be launched into orbit, and as Elenin passes it will cause the moon to "turn" toward the Blood... =))

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:
John Locke wrote:is it possible that "and the moon into blood" could refer to when "blood" or man first stepped upon the moon?
I really admire the creativity of many on this forum. It's obvious that a "Crip" and a "Blood" are going to be launched into orbit, and as Elenin passes it will cause the moon to "turn" toward the Blood... =))
LOL....view from New York was certainly bloody and dark on 9/11 preceding President Hinckley's remarks on the prophecy of Joel by just a couple weeks....

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Original_Intent wrote:

um remind me never to ask a question again.....just a theory I had heard wanted to get peoples take on it....thanks for belittling me tho that was cool.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Sorry, that was rude. It was meant to be friendly ribbing, but I can definitely see how it could come across as a harsh put-down. Not intended that way.

JoeSwiss
Hi, I'm new.

Post by JoeSwiss »

Interesting that no one interprets this more literally as the resumption of volcanic lava flows. All those smooth dark spots on the moon are former lava flows, or scabs.

If the earth is a living thing with a soul, as in PGP Moses, then lava could be analogous to the blood of the earth. Same with the moon.

What would it take for lava flows to appear again on the moon? Comet strike? Multiple meteor impacts? Something else? Time for the geologists to opine.