End Times Time Line

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: End Times Time Line

Post by Elizabeth »

davedan wrote: Question: When will the temple be built in Independence?
It seems to me that for various reasons the Lord has changed the location of the looked for Temple at Independence and is constructing it now a short distance away at Kansas City.

lost ark
captain of 100

Post by lost ark »

The Lord clearly stated in Doctrine & Covenants 57:3 that the temple would be built in Independence, and he named the exact location.

His words will all be fulfilled.

The Kansas City temple is being built in Clay County, not Jackson County.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

davedan wrote:"shâbu‛ı̂ym" is the hebrew word used which is the pleural of "shabua". The word "shabua" can have several meanings. It can be interpreted to refer to a 7-year period of time. Therefore 70 "shabuiym" or 70 "weeks of years" = 70 X 7 = 490 years. So, from the commandment to rebuild Jerusalem to the destruction of the temple and the 2nd Diaspora would be 490 years.

However, "shabua" has another meaning. It can also refer simply to the "feast of weeks". So, using this interpretation, this passage can mean that from the command to restore Jerusalem (1950 "Law of Return") there would be 70 "feasts of weeks" or 70 years since there is only 1 "feast of weeks" each year. "Feast of Weeks" is one of the original Mosaic Feast days given in the Law.

In this sense, Daniel's timeline also refers to the time of the destruction of the temple following the birth of the Savior. Christ was born 1 BC, and the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. Also many Apostles were killed in 62 AD.

And in this same sense, some are looking forward to another 70 year period following the creation of the State of Israel.
Logical. But wehat event are you saying will transpire in 2020? ADA, He settging foot on Mt of Olives to end Amageddon or His coming in glory?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

davedan wrote:"shâbu‛ı̂ym" is the hebrew word used which is the pleural of "shabua". The word "shabua" can have several meanings. It can be interpreted to refer to a 7-year period of time. Therefore 70 "shabuiym" or 70 "weeks of years" = 70 X 7 = 490 years. So, from the commandment to rebuild Jerusalem to the destruction of the temple and the 2nd Diaspora would be 490 years.

However, "shabua" has another meaning. It can also refer simply to the "feast of weeks". So, using this interpretation, this passage can mean that from the command to restore Jerusalem (1950 "Law of Return") there would be 70 "feasts of weeks" or 70 years since there is only 1 "feast of weeks" each year. "Feast of Weeks" is one of the original Mosaic Feast days given in the Law.

In this sense, Daniel's timeline also refers to the time of the destruction of the temple following the birth of the Savior. Christ was born 1 BC, and the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. Also many Apostles were killed in 62 AD.

And in this same sense, some are looking forward to another 70 year period following the creation of the State of Israel.
You might study Appendix C of the scrolls and see where the error is on Christ's birth.....

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

lost ark wrote:The Lord clearly stated in Doctrine & Covenants 57:3 that the temple would be built in Independence, and he named the exact location.

True, but the locations are only a short distance apart. An Elder at the Visitors Centre at Independence told me some time ago, that as the original site is no longer suitable, the prophecy will still be fulfilled if the Lord chooses another lot. Makes perfect sense to me.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

We know that Satan is seeking to changes the times as well as the laws.

So, I am always suspicious of what scholars think they know. However, we have revelation tell us in several places that Christ was born at time 0 or 1 bc or whatever. To figure out Bible times you don't need to know the Hebrew Calendar, or the Gregorian Calendar. All you need to do is know God's calendar.

You should be suspicious of dates especially when you see triple numbers like Ataxerex call to restore Jerusalem in 444 BC and Alexander the Great defeats Persia in 333 BC.

Dead Sea Scrolls or not, scholars still are puzzled with the date of Herod's death as well as when Quirinius was governor of Syria. Josephus was a Shill for the Romans so I don't necessarily believe his dating either but I don't necessarily disbelieve it either.

What we do know is that Tiberius Caesar came to power in 14 AD, and according to Luke 3, Christ was about 30 in Tiberius' 15th year of rule. So, that seems to line up with Christ being born at 1 BC. In that same chapter there is a reference to the temple being 46 years old, but it is unclear if this is referring to the total time since the Temple was dedicated, or what since some believe the temple was still being worked on. Josephus says that Herod began work on the temple in his 18th year and 15th year. So again, the debate amongst the scholars continues.

There has been a big push to make dating of Biblical events 3 years earlier than they should be. I am of the current opinion that this is because TPTB want us to believe ultimately that Christ has delayed his coming.

Currently I am expecting that with all the Middle East turbulence, that in the next year we may hear of the announcement for the building of the Jewish Temple. This temple is ready to be built in 1 year's time according to the Temple Institute. This will set the stage for something to happen in 2013 which we are to falsely believe is Daniel's "Abomination of Desolation." Since, this event is to occur "in the midst" of the 7 years of tribulation, this will give us a false idea about where we are in God's calendar. Then when this 7 years are up, and the tribulation has really got going, many may falsely believe that the time is past when Christ was to appear. (this is my suspicion).

http://home.teleport.com/~salad/4god/1bc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(has some interesting ideas defending 1 BC birth of Christ, that Herod Archeleus may have ordered the killing of the children)

AngelPalmoni
captain of 100

Post by AngelPalmoni »

So you are saying the scriptures are wrong?

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Logical. But wehat event are you saying will transpire in 2020? ADA, He settging foot on Mt of Olives to end Amageddon or His coming in glory?
Well, I am not really trying to say anythiing for sure. But according to this interpretation, if the Second Coming were to occur in 2020. The Tribulation would be the final 7 years from 2013 to 2020. The Abomination of Desolation would occur in the midst of the week (about 2017).

IF PRES OBAMA LOSES ELECTION IN 2012
2011 Temple Announced
2012 Collapse of Dollar, Civil War, Russian Attack
2013 (Beginning of Tribulation)
2014 2 Witnesses, AOA?
2015 Armageddon
2016 (Abomination of Desolation)
2017 AOA?
2018 Zion and Jerusalem
2019 144,000 sent out to bring in survivors
2020 (Second Coming)
Last edited by davedan on February 13th, 2011, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

So you are saying the scriptures are wrong?
Ummmm, no. I am saying that the Jews in 1 BC were apostate and their calendar system was already corrupted and Satan had already succeeded in changing the times and the laws. This is why false Messiah's rose up before and after Jesus Christ because the Jewish Calendar did not correlate with God's Calendar.

So, looking at the Jewish Calendar or the Essene Calendar or anyone else's Calendar to figure out God's Calendar is not going to help.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

I firmly believe that Obama will be elected to a second term. Wish I didn't believe that. I don't think Christ is coming in the next couple of years. I think we have years of trials and crap before it can happen.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Nan wrote:I firmly believe that Obama will be elected to a second term. Wish I didn't believe that. I don't think Christ is coming in the next couple of years. I think we have years of trials and crap before it can happen.
I think he'll be a 1-term pres (at least I hope). Why do you think he will be re-elected?

You are right about the rest of your post.

Ras922
captain of 50

Post by Ras922 »

Dr. COHEN: It is so important to know that the millennium starts 22 years before the Second Coming, and all the prophecies from Revelations 8 on have to take place in those 22 years. Christ opened the 5th seal at age 11.

FIRST ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2011 to 2015. Revelations 8:7: "The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the 3rd part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

SECOND ANGEL SOUNDS TRUMP 2015 to 2018. Revelations 8:8-9: "And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed".

THIRD ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2018 to 2022. Revelations 8:10-11: "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter". What does that sound like? A comet. Now what is the difference between a comet and an asteroid? Comets have tails and they light up before they hit the earth's atmosphere. The other interesting thing about comets is they can come out of nowhere. An asteroid can be tracked by astronomers track for years, but a comet can hide behind the sun and come out of nowhere. John calls it wormwood. Don't think for a moment that this Betel Jeuce Super Nova isn't going to have something to do with this comet. When there is a Super Nova in the galaxy it reeks havoc. One of the things its going to do is send a comet our way, and its going to appear out of no where with the name Wormwood. How many Woe's are in wormwood. Wo! Wo!

FOURTH ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2022 to 2025. Revelations 8:12-13: "And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise. And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound! Angels 5,6, & 7 are in charge of the last 3 Woes!

FIFTH ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2025 to 2029. Revelations 9:1-13 At the end of Chapter 9 John takes an interlude. Why? Lets go back to our holidays. What happens on the 10th day of the 7th month? Yom Kippur, so John takes time out. What is he trying to tell us? That the original holidays indeed have predictive value for our day. You notice in Rev 1, John sees the Lord. What does Rev 1 have reference to? Rosh Hashana. The 1st day of the 7th month. Rev 10, has reference to the 10th day of the 7th month or Yom Kippur. Then he continues his description in Revelation 11-14. In Revelations 11, he talks about the two prophets. Their names are Eldad and Medad. They are twins in Jerusalem. Their ministry occurs during the 6th archangels time period, 3 ½ years or the 2nd woe. He continues his description all the way to chapter 15. Then he stops again. What comes on the scene. The Temple. What happened on the 15th day of the 7th month. The Feast of the Temple.. Then it goes all the way to Rev 22. When does he talk about the 3rd and final wo? Turn to Revelation 16:16. "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. Armageddwo means, " Mt of Misery and Endless Wo".

SEVENTH ANGEL 2033 And the seventh (seal) angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, form the throne, saying, It is done." That is the exact day that Daniel is referring to. What is the sign? DARKNESS. Michael is taking the earth on a little trip through space to the Lord. There you have it! Now, how comes it says in Rev 8:1 that there will be silence in heaven? What do you think is going on in heaven right now? They are working their tails off, because they know they only have 4 years to get it all done, because what happens when the 7th seal is opened? Heaven Rests! There is silence in heaven. Does that mean there is silence on earth? No! When the 7th seal is open it is the Sabbatical millennium where there will be peace and rest (in heaven) and for 22 years heaven will hold its breath. What does all this tell you about the truthfulness of the gospel. If all this is true, then the church is true, because look what Joseph Smith revealed to us. There is going to be a Super Nova in 2011, and there is no other way we could have known if it weren't for Joseph Smith. I bear you my testimony that it is true. The stakes are high for me to come out and say all this. Do you not think I'm going to be praying hard from now until 2011? You betcha! But see, the spirit has already born witness to me that it is true. Now you need to go home and and pray about it yourself and receive your own witness. You need to prepare spiritually and physically. You have to understand that the Lord doesn't want anyone to perish. If's clear in the Pearl of Great Price that from the time when the city of Enoch was translated until the flood, 600 years later, people were being translated up to the city of Enoch. In other words, when the city of Enoch was translated not everyone was worthy, so the Lord gave them a 600 year grace period, so people were being translated during that time right up to the flood. When the flood came, the people that perished were the wicked. It is the same thing that will happen with the baptism by fire. The only thing is we don't have 600 years. We have until the Sabbatical decade to get ready. We will be caught up to meet the Lord and escape the baptism by fire. The end of the 3rd and final woe is when the Lord reveals himself to all of the army's of Armageddon.

SIXTH ANGEL 2029 to 2033

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Janadele wrote:
lost ark wrote:The Lord clearly stated in Doctrine & Covenants 57:3 that the temple would be built in Independence, and he named the exact location.

True, but the locations are only a short distance apart. An Elder at the Visitors Centre at Independence told me some time ago, that as the original site is no longer suitable, the prophecy will still be fulfilled if the Lord chooses another lot. Makes perfect sense to me.
I would stop spreading "rumors" about something you can not validate with the words of the prophets. "An Elder" does not make him a spokesman for the Lord.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Ras922 wrote:Dr. COHEN: It is so important to know that the millennium starts 22 years before the Second Coming, and all the prophecies from Revelations 8 on have to take place in those 22 years. Christ opened the 5th seal at age 11.

FIRST ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2011 to 2015. Revelations 8:7: "The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the 3rd part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

SECOND ANGEL SOUNDS TRUMP 2015 to 2018. Revelations 8:8-9: "And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed".

THIRD ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2018 to 2022. Revelations 8:10-11: "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter". What does that sound like? A comet. Now what is the difference between a comet and an asteroid? Comets have tails and they light up before they hit the earth's atmosphere. The other interesting thing about comets is they can come out of nowhere. An asteroid can be tracked by astronomers track for years, but a comet can hide behind the sun and come out of nowhere. John calls it wormwood. Don't think for a moment that this Betel Jeuce Super Nova isn't going to have something to do with this comet. When there is a Super Nova in the galaxy it reeks havoc. One of the things its going to do is send a comet our way, and its going to appear out of no where with the name Wormwood. How many Woe's are in wormwood. Wo! Wo!

FOURTH ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2022 to 2025. Revelations 8:12-13: "And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise. And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound! Angels 5,6, & 7 are in charge of the last 3 Woes!

FIFTH ANGEL, SOUNDS TRUMP 2025 to 2029. Revelations 9:1-13 At the end of Chapter 9 John takes an interlude. Why? Lets go back to our holidays. What happens on the 10th day of the 7th month? Yom Kippur, so John takes time out. What is he trying to tell us? That the original holidays indeed have predictive value for our day. You notice in Rev 1, John sees the Lord. What does Rev 1 have reference to? Rosh Hashana. The 1st day of the 7th month. Rev 10, has reference to the 10th day of the 7th month or Yom Kippur. Then he continues his description in Revelation 11-14. In Revelations 11, he talks about the two prophets. Their names are Eldad and Medad. They are twins in Jerusalem. Their ministry occurs during the 6th archangels time period, 3 ½ years or the 2nd woe. He continues his description all the way to chapter 15. Then he stops again. What comes on the scene. The Temple. What happened on the 15th day of the 7th month. The Feast of the Temple.. Then it goes all the way to Rev 22. When does he talk about the 3rd and final wo? Turn to Revelation 16:16. "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. Armageddwo means, " Mt of Misery and Endless Wo".

SEVENTH ANGEL 2033 And the seventh (seal) angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, form the throne, saying, It is done." That is the exact day that Daniel is referring to. What is the sign? DARKNESS. Michael is taking the earth on a little trip through space to the Lord. There you have it! Now, how comes it says in Rev 8:1 that there will be silence in heaven? What do you think is going on in heaven right now? They are working their tails off, because they know they only have 4 years to get it all done, because what happens when the 7th seal is opened? Heaven Rests! There is silence in heaven. Does that mean there is silence on earth? No! When the 7th seal is open it is the Sabbatical millennium where there will be peace and rest (in heaven) and for 22 years heaven will hold its breath. What does all this tell you about the truthfulness of the gospel. If all this is true, then the church is true, because look what Joseph Smith revealed to us. There is going to be a Super Nova in 2011, and there is no other way we could have known if it weren't for Joseph Smith. I bear you my testimony that it is true. The stakes are high for me to come out and say all this. Do you not think I'm going to be praying hard from now until 2011? You betcha! But see, the spirit has already born witness to me that it is true. Now you need to go home and and pray about it yourself and receive your own witness. You need to prepare spiritually and physically. You have to understand that the Lord doesn't want anyone to perish. If's clear in the Pearl of Great Price that from the time when the city of Enoch was translated until the flood, 600 years later, people were being translated up to the city of Enoch. In other words, when the city of Enoch was translated not everyone was worthy, so the Lord gave them a 600 year grace period, so people were being translated during that time right up to the flood. When the flood came, the people that perished were the wicked. It is the same thing that will happen with the baptism by fire. The only thing is we don't have 600 years. We have until the Sabbatical decade to get ready. We will be caught up to meet the Lord and escape the baptism by fire. The end of the 3rd and final woe is when the Lord reveals himself to all of the army's of Armageddon.

SIXTH ANGEL 2029 to 2033
I generally agree with Choen's time line but he enjoys mingling the philosphies of men with scritpture. Doesn't he? I guess that just goes to show you that we as humans all have our own paradigms in which we are invested and have a hard time giving them up.

Ras922
captain of 50

Nibiru planet X 2012 PROOF of Government conspiracy

Post by Ras922 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKn_2neBSyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the video posted, I certainly don't doubt planet nibiru's
existence. But I certainly don't doubt the possibility of it passing by the earth and causing all sorts of natural phenomena. I don't doubt that it could be the grand sign spoken of by Joseph Smith saying the world will say it's a planet or comet, etc.

Ras922
captain of 50

Post by Ras922 »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/15/sc ... 1&iref=NS1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting, I found this article on CNN and did a search on CD for any relevent threads and came across this one. I just found this today and was interested and it led me here. It is a short article.

Some interestingly huge planet, or gas mass, found just outside our solar system.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

durangout wrote:
Ras922 wrote:Dr. COHEN: It is so important to know that the millennium starts 22 years before the Second Coming, and all the prophecies from Revelations 8 on have to take place in those 22 years. Christ opened the 5th seal at age 11.

SIXTH ANGEL 2029 to 2033
I generally agree with Choen's time line but he enjoys mingling the philosphies of men with scritpture. Doesn't he? I guess that just goes to show you that we as humans all have our own paradigms in which we are invested and have a hard time giving them up.
+1

Ras922
captain of 50

Post by Ras922 »

A History Channel documentary on various accounts of the Mayans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGg0BWF ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_TYkN29 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wc77WX ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5_1xA6 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05V6sLx ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ras922
captain of 50

Post by Ras922 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMkla0L ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Learn what Joseph Smith may have meant when he said that the "Grand Sign" of the Last Days would be called "a comet, a planet."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-WyvD0lmq4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joseph Smith clearly taught that the heavens and the earth of antiquity were vastly different than today's skies. See what the ancients saw.

In my quest to popularize the advancing science of comparative mythology and plasma physics as they relate to the Restored Gospel, it occurred to me that an analogy derived from the popular “… for Dummies,” series, relating to everything from auto repair to brain surgery, begged for such a nuts-and-bolts approach to prophetic interpretation. The following is the result. – A.E.L.

While we’re definitely not dummies, we all previously thought that one needed a prophetic calling or a PhD in order to interpret prophecy.

But I have found that not to be the case. Anyone who has learned to read—dummies like me and you—can also learn to understand prophecy.

This is done by simply following the clues throughout history, like Hansel and Gretel followed the breadcrumb trail through the forest, tracing the images or metaphors of prophecy to their source in Earth’s ancient heavens. Then, moving forward in time from antiquity to the present, one can map out their use as the prophets consistently employed them in various epochs and in a variety of cultures.

So, reading prophecy is not all that difficult. It’s learning how to understand it that’s a bit hard. That’s because we’ve never been properly schooled in prophetic imagery, a skill once known to all the prophets that has been lost to us over the eons.

And even though Joseph Smith clearly learned that skill, properly employed it and sought to reinstate its imagery in the minds of Latter-day Saints as part of the Restoration, the membership failed to grasp his meaning.Yes, reading the imagery of prophecy is an acquired skill, just like riding a bike or reading. In fact, the best analogy for learning to read prophecy comes from your own experience as you first began to read.

Think back to when you couldn’t read, before you learned your ABCs. Do you recall what the printed letters on a page looked like? I can. It looked like so much meaningless gobbledygook. There was no way you or I could make sense of it no matter how long we stared at it. Flipping the pages was futile. Trying to find meaning in it was pointless.

Well, that pretty much describes the situation where prophecy is concerned. You can understand the words, but the message is strange gibberish. Try as you might to find meaning in it or make sense of it, you cannot. Instead, your head begins to hurt. Reading various prophecies only further complicates the matter. It all seems to deal in that same bizarre imagery. Even reading books on the subject by supposed ‘authorities’ on prophecy leaves you no closer to reading the stuff. And there are whole chunks of prophecy that they all seem to avoid. Soon you despair, thinking that making sense of prophecy is going to be nearly impossible.

To teach you how to read, the teacher first started with the alphabet and letter recognition. Each letter had a name—A was “aee,” B was “bee,” and so on. And you learned to recognize them and identify them by name. Once you mastered the alphabet, you took your first step toward reading. But you still could not read.

The same is true of prophecy. To understand it, your teacher must take you back to the basics—stars, planets and plasmas. Why stars, planets and plasmas? Well, that’s where the language of prophecy came from. Earth’s ancient heavens were once alive with planets (the ancients called them stars, not planets) and electrified, glowing, lifelike plasma phenomenon. These impressive elements riveted the attention of ancient peoples the world over and sparked an explosion of imagination and imagery in all cultures.

Just like the letters of the alphabet, what the ancients saw in those long ago skies became the building blocks of all religious tradition and culture.

As analyzed elsewhere (See “The Revised Saturn Myth,” “The Saturn Epic: In The Beginning,” “The Saturn Epic: Mythmaking,” “Prophets and Plasmas” and “The Electric Universe”), with a little effort you’ll discover the reasons for believing that Earth’s ancient skies were vastly different than our own today. You’ll learn the objects and images our ancestors saw in the astronomical theater, and we’ll give names to those planets and plasmas. This will be the prophetic equivalent of learning your ABCs.

The next thing our reading teacher did was to show us that each letter had one or more sounds. That further complicated things, but we were told that it would all become clear if we just persevered. So, we went down the now familiar alphabet assigning sounds to each of them. We learned, for example, that the letter C could have an “sss” sound as in “see,” or a “kay” sound as in “cat.” This was further complication and confusion for our struggling young minds.

Those planets and plasmas were overwhelmingly imposing because they were close to the Earth. Unlike today, where planets are little more than bright, distant stars in the sky, these planets and plasmas were very close. They actually appeared larger than the moon does today. Brilliantly lit, dynamic and magnificent in ancient skies, these planets and plasmas were reverenced as gods or primeval powers.

And ancient onlookers assigned distinctive characteristics or personalities to these nearby planets and plasmas, based on their appearance, movements and changes. They were considered gods, supernatural powers that ruled the heavens, their sole habitat. The “theater of the gods,” then, was the ancient firmament overhead. In the cultures of antiquity, these planets and plasmas became human-like or animal-like gods who acted out their epoch stories on that grandiose stage.

Their identities included names, though those names varied from culture to culture. Even within a single culture, the same astral object acquired numerous names as it moved and changed over time. To modern eyes, this riotous nomenclature of ancient gods offers only confusion. To the ancients it made perfect sense since each name identified a unique aspect of their planet or plasma gods.

But the identities and attributes of those gods were strikingly similar in every cultural tradition because the look and behavior of those planets and plasmas was consistently interpreted the same way from culture to culture. This was due to the fact that the appearance and actions of these gods or powers suggested the same characteristics, natures or personalities in the minds of the ancients the world over.

For this reason, the ancients wrote and spoke of them as if they were living beings or creatures, and they so illustrated them in their sacred art. For example, Saturn (the largest of the planets seen in earthly skies) was the “father god” or “creator,” Venus came to be seen as the original “queen of heaven” or “mother goddess” and Mars became her “son,” the “hero” and the “warrior,” among many other designations. And the plasmas that were seen stretching between the planets took on a large number of identities: a connecting sky pillar, celestial tree, world mountain, astral river and ladder, stairway or path to heaven. Such commonalities allow us to identify each of the primary actors by their role in Earth’s ancient heavens and the traditions of mankind, no matter what name they went by in the various ancient cultures.

Returning once again to our reading analogy, we recall that our teacher introduced the notion that stringing several letters together produced a readable word. To read it, we used the sounds we had learned for each letter, and we were encouraged to “sound out” the more difficult words phonetically. And so we began to haltingly read our first words. “Look, Jane. See Dick run. Run, Dick, run.”

This was a bit of a tricky process. Sounding out each letter and then stringing those sounds together didn’t always produce a recognizable word. We soon learned that there were more complex rules that governed the way some groups of letters sounded. The u-g-h in “laugh” or “tough” made an “fff” sound, even though when those three stood alone they said “Ugh!” Still more complexity to master.

The corollary in learning to read prophecy is the realization that prophetic interpretation assigned a number of roles or characteristics to each of the congregate powers in the sky. For example, Venus was not only the mother goddess, she later became Mars’ crown of light, the “hand” of god, the wife of Saturn and ultimately a raging, angry goddess. One plasma conduit, stretching between Mars and Venus, was described as a dragon, beast or monster because it writhed, undulated and twisted like a snake.

And the complexity of these cosmic forms only grows and multiplies as we survey the literature and traditions of ancient cultures. These original forms, prototypes or archetypes became the basis for nearly innumerable traditional and religious narratives, and their perceived behaviors became the stuff of sacred rituals in all ancient cultures.

Mastering the use of these archetypes by understanding their astral origins allows any reader to interpret them wherever they are found: in religious ritual, in narratives such as scripture, in hieroglyphics, monumental architecture, petroglyphs or sacred symbols.

In our reading analogy, we eventually discovered that words could be grouped into sentences to complete a thought. And several sentences comprised a paragraph, a tidy group of thoughts that, when grouped together, made a summary or conveyed a concept.

In prophecy, we learn that a few simple symbols can convey whole narratives. In some cases, only one ideogram or hieroglyph invokes whole paragraphs of text.

Conversely, we learn that scriptural or religious metaphors have symbolic equivalents. This was a two-headed coin. On one side we have the symbol, and on the other we have its metaphoric equivalent. This allowed the ancients, most of whom could neither read nor write, to depict, read or relate a whole story with just a few symbols or a single ritual.

In reading, with practice came proficiency. After years of work, we mastered reading sufficient to extract meaning from any text. We were finally readers.

So, too, with deciphering prophecy. With some dedicated time and effort, we can train ourselves to read prophecy as easily as we read the morning paper.

But that was not all there was to reading. We soon learned that there were other languages. Some even used ideograms instead of an alphabet. That is, just when we think we’ve mastered it all, we discover that there are new horizons to explore.

So it is with prophetic language. Once we master the basics—the archetypes—once we learn the imagery those basics gave rise to, we can “read” any prophetic metaphor or arcane symbol as easily as we read the letters on a written page.

Of course when we reach that level, we discover to our amazement that what we have learned is only the tip of the iceberg. We quickly find that the imagery or language of prophecy is also the key to the vision of all the prophets, not just prophecy per se. And that includes the teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith. We realize, too, that it is the key to temple symbolism and ritual, both in ancient cultures and in the modern church.

We should have guessed that learning to interpret prophecy, like learning to read, would ultimately reveal sweeping vistas of knowledge and understanding beyond anything we could have imagined at the outset of our quest.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

davedan wrote:That means that Pres. Obama will need to win the election in 2012. And seeing his popularity numbers right now, I don't anyone thinks that is possible.

Pres Obama fraudulently wins election but media claims bump due to excellent FEMA disaster response.
Wow. This was pretty close.

geanienut
captain of 10

Post by geanienut »

Scarecrow wrote:I like where you are going with this, but just one thought on not having enough time to accomplish everything. The scriptures say that the Lord will shorten the days of tribulation so it is possible that much will be accomplished in a short amount of time:
JST Matthew 1:20 (also see Matthew 24:22)
And except those days should be shortened, there should none of their flesh be saved; but for the elect’s sake, according to the covenant, those days shall be shortened.

The word Shortened in Strong's concordance is
1.} Mutilate
2.) Curtail

Maybe what the Lord is saying is that he will curtail the plans of the PTB, so they don't destory mankind. JMHO..FWIW

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

geanienut wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:I like where you are going with this, but just one thought on not having enough time to accomplish everything. The scriptures say that the Lord will shorten the days of tribulation so it is possible that much will be accomplished in a short amount of time:
JST Matthew 1:20 (also see Matthew 24:22)
And except those days should be shortened, there should none of their flesh be saved; but for the elect’s sake, according to the covenant, those days shall be shortened.

The word Shortened in Strong's concordance is
1.} Mutilate
2.) Curtail

Maybe what the Lord is saying is that he will curtail the plans of the PTB, so they don't destory mankind. JMHO..FWIW
Another way that we can see he is curtailing it is by sending out the missionaries at a younger age. The recent boost as a result of the announcement in Octobers conference is going to speed up the finding of those who are seeking the truth.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Methinks the Lord is "hastening His work".