concerning earthquake in Utah.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Nan
captain of 1,000

concerning earthquake in Utah.

Post by Nan »

Where are the prophecies that Utah is going to have a big earthquake? I have seen a lot of mention of it, but no reference to where the idea comes from. My dh was asking.

Re: concerning earthquake in Utah.

Post by Like »

Paul Drockton http://www.moneyteachers.org/Utah.Vision.htm :lol: just kidding!

Seriously, I saw this:
About 700 earthquakes happen in Utah every year, although only about 2 percent of these are felt. They can happen anywhere in the state of Utah, not just along the Wasatch Front.

Large earthquakes between a magnitude of 6.5 to 7.5 can happen at active segments of the Wasatch fault between the areas of Brigham City and Levan.

Over the past 6,000 years, a large earthquake has occured about every 400 years.

Close to 600 years have passed since the last large earthquake happened in Utah Valley. It has been almost 1400 years since the last large earthquake happened in the Salt Lake Valley
http://www.utahearthquake.org/Earthquak ... nUtah.aspx

I don't know any creditable prophecy, someone smarter than me will need to help you.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Mazal, from that timeline, it certainly looks like we're overdue for a good shaking. Since the "cleansing" begins at the Lord's house, then the Wasatch Front would be a good start. The Lord has to shake us (pun intended) from our complacency and remind us who's in charge. ( I wonder if this will happen to members worldwide or just begin here.)

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Mazal, that is what I am looking for, a credible source.

Post by Like »

kathyn wrote:Mazal, from that timeline, it certainly looks like we're overdue for a good shaking. Since the "cleansing" begins at the Lord's house, then the Wasatch Front would be a good start. The Lord has to shake us (pun intended) from our complacency and remind us who's in charge. ( I wonder if this will happen to members worldwide or just begin here.)
Yes it does look that way. I am not sure where the cleansing begins.

Post by Like »

Nan wrote:Mazal, that is what I am looking for, a credible source.
I know.....I was just being silly about the Paul Drockton reference.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Bumping.

firend
captain of 1,000

Post by firend »

We talked to one of the head geologists out their in Utah. He said more or less that they are expecting a massive quake along the wasatch front anytime.

Basically if you live from Nephi up through Ogden west of the Mountains you are introuble. This quake will also effect all the way up through other states, etc

If you live East of the Mountains, the hit won't be as severe. If you live in Sanpete county the hit will be relatively minor.

He was talking that I think Aspen Hills above draper would be the worst hit. It will slide. Draper as well. Even Herriman will get it bad, but not as bad as the East bench and valley that will liquify. I know he mentioned Nephi as a bad place to be as well when it hits.

If I were you, get off the fault if you can. I have heard if you have quake insurance it won't matter, because the devastation will be so wide spread, that the insurance companies will get a waver from the government not having to pay (like hurricanes in the past)....your up the creek without a paddle then.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

firend wrote:I have heard if you have quake insurance it won't matter, because the devastation will be so wide spread, that the insurance companies will get a waver from the government not having to pay (like hurricanes in the past)....your up the creek without a paddle then.
Hurricanes have a separate issue with water damage (excluded on insurance policies) that we wouldn't see with EQ's, at least on a large scale. Besides, most people don't carry EQ coverage anyway. If you have EQ coverage you can expect the insurance company to pay the claim.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

If you have EQ coverage you can expect the insurance company to pay the claim
Thanks Shadow

Homeowners ins policies have and exclusion for earth movement, so earthquakes are not covered. However, if you have earthquake coverage like Shadow says, it would be covered.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

So I take it that there aren't any prophecies concerning an earthquake in utah? Wow, then why do a lot of people here talk about there being one?

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

This is about as close as I can come.

"I will venture here to relate an open vision had by brother Stephen M. Farnsworth, of Pleasant Grove, Utah County, while he was residing in Nauvoo, previous to the death of the Prophets Joseph and Hyrum. Some may possibly think and say, it was manufactured for this occasion. But there are many here under the sound of my voice who heard brother Farnsworth relate the vision years ago. I will tell it as correctly as my memory will allow me.

J190In the spring of 1844, brother Farnsworth started out after dinner, to go to work on the Temple as usual. The sun shone brightly as he walked down Parley-street towards the place of his labour, when suddenly the sky became overcast, and a drizzling rain set in. He stood amazed, and saw a tumult and excitement among the people about the Temple, and a great excitement in the lower part of the town. He wondered what it could mean. Presently he was told that the Saints had to leave Nauvoo and take a great journey to the west. So great was the journey that it seemed almost impossible for him to perform it. Now he could see numerous trains of covered waggons and teams crossing the Mississippi River, and bending their course westward as far as the eye could reach. He also hitched up and joined the trains, and the journey did not seem so arduous as he first anticipated. He saw the Twelve Apostles in the crowd; but saw neither Joseph nor Hyrum.

J190They journeyed westward a great distance, and finally came to a place where they intended to locate. They stopped, and began to make improvements: but distress and starvation stared them in the face, and it really seemed to him that they must perish; but soon there began to be plenty of everything to eat, &c. This lasted quite a time: then there began to be scarcity again, and famine seemed to prevail; yet he saw none die of starvation, yet great distress among the people. Then there began to be plenty again—enough to eat of everything desirable. The people all appeared in one place, with large, strong hoops around them in a body. The Twelve followed brother Brigham with mallets and fierce countenances, and vigorously drove those hoops upon the people until it did seem that they would be pinched or squeezed to death. Still they resolutely continued to drive the hoops. Dark clouds now began to arise, and a general gloom prevailed. The hoops were all the time being driven tighter and tighter.

J190About this time, an army or force of the enemy came into the neighbourhood and offered protection to all who wished it. The darkness of the clouds, and their awfully-threatening aspect are now past description. The people burst those hoops and sallied out like a flock of sheep, and more than one-half of them went to the enemy for protection. The scene was so awfully frightful that he was just on the eve of flying himself; but a thought occurred to him to hold on a little longer. He did so. Dark, angry, and frightful were the clouds, indeed! Now is your hour and the power of darkness! Presently the cloud over the Saints burst, and light beamed upon them.

J190This cloud rolled off upon the enemy and those who had fled to them for protection; and oh! the scenes of death, lamentation, and mourning that occurred in the enemies' camp beggar all description. The burning wrath of earth, heaven, and hell, in fiery streams of molten lava seemed to leave not one alive to tell the tale. It did not stop here, but rolled throughout the United States, carrying the same desolation in its track. The faithful band of brethren left, then followed brother Brigham up into a large open cave, where there was everything good to eat and drink that heart could desire. The shouts of hosannahs!—the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God for the deliverance wrought for them rent the air and made the mountains echo the praises of our God. From this cave they journeyed, I need not say where; but, suffice it to say, no opposition had any effect upon them. The power of God was with them, and His voice was in their camp.

J190There is much more to this vision which I deem unnecessary to write. But after it was all over, brother Farnsworth came to himself, standing in Parley-street on a beautiful sunshiny day. No covered waggons or excitement in town or about the temple. When he came to himself, he concluded that his exercises were of the Devil, from the fact that he saw neither Joseph nor Hyrum in all the scenes; but it was Brigham, brother Kimball, and the Twelve. Before these scenes began to really take place, Joseph and Hyrum were killed at Carthage, and consequently were not seen by brother Farnsworth.

J190I relate this from memory, being some months since I heard brother Farnsworth tell it at his residence in Pleasant Grove; but, in the main, it is as he told me, so far as I have related it. There are those here to whom brother Farnsworth told it more than twelve years ago, and they know whether I tell it as he did.

J190I have considerable confidence in this vision, for two reasons. First, brother Farnsworth is a correct man: his character is without spot or blemish. Secondly, this vision corresponds with a hundred and one other sacred things written in ancient and modern times. And I may add a third reason,—it has all been fulfilled to the very letter, so far as time would allow"

(Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 5: 143.)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

NoGreaterLove wrote:This is about as close as I can come.

"I will venture here to relate an open vision had by brother Stephen M. Farnsworth, of Pleasant Grove, Utah County, while he was residing in Nauvoo, previous to the death of the Prophets Joseph and Hyrum. Some may possibly think and say, it was manufactured for this occasion. But there are many here under the sound of my voice who heard brother Farnsworth relate the vision years ago. I will tell it as correctly as my memory will allow me.

J190In the spring of 1844, brother Farnsworth started out after dinner, to go to work on the Temple as usual. The sun shone brightly as he walked down Parley-street towards the place of his labour, when suddenly the sky became overcast, and a drizzling rain set in. He stood amazed, and saw a tumult and excitement among the people about the Temple, and a great excitement in the lower part of the town. He wondered what it could mean. Presently he was told that the Saints had to leave Nauvoo and take a great journey to the west. So great was the journey that it seemed almost impossible for him to perform it. Now he could see numerous trains of covered waggons and teams crossing the Mississippi River, and bending their course westward as far as the eye could reach. He also hitched up and joined the trains, and the journey did not seem so arduous as he first anticipated. He saw the Twelve Apostles in the crowd; but saw neither Joseph nor Hyrum.

J190They journeyed westward a great distance, and finally came to a place where they intended to locate. They stopped, and began to make improvements: but distress and starvation stared them in the face, and it really seemed to him that they must perish; but soon there began to be plenty of everything to eat, &c. This lasted quite a time: then there began to be scarcity again, and famine seemed to prevail; yet he saw none die of starvation, yet great distress among the people. Then there began to be plenty again—enough to eat of everything desirable. The people all appeared in one place, with large, strong hoops around them in a body. The Twelve followed brother Brigham with mallets and fierce countenances, and vigorously drove those hoops upon the people until it did seem that they would be pinched or squeezed to death. Still they resolutely continued to drive the hoops. Dark clouds now began to arise, and a general gloom prevailed. The hoops were all the time being driven tighter and tighter.

J190About this time, an army or force of the enemy came into the neighbourhood and offered protection to all who wished it. The darkness of the clouds, and their awfully-threatening aspect are now past description. The people burst those hoops and sallied out like a flock of sheep, and more than one-half of them went to the enemy for protection. The scene was so awfully frightful that he was just on the eve of flying himself; but a thought occurred to him to hold on a little longer. He did so. Dark, angry, and frightful were the clouds, indeed! Now is your hour and the power of darkness! Presently the cloud over the Saints burst, and light beamed upon them.

J190This cloud rolled off upon the enemy and those who had fled to them for protection; and oh! the scenes of death, lamentation, and mourning that occurred in the enemies' camp beggar all description. The burning wrath of earth, heaven, and hell, in fiery streams of molten lava seemed to leave not one alive to tell the tale. It did not stop here, but rolled throughout the United States, carrying the same desolation in its track. The faithful band of brethren left, then followed brother Brigham up into a large open cave, where there was everything good to eat and drink that heart could desire. The shouts of hosannahs!—the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God for the deliverance wrought for them rent the air and made the mountains echo the praises of our God. From this cave they journeyed, I need not say where; but, suffice it to say, no opposition had any effect upon them. The power of God was with them, and His voice was in their camp.

J190There is much more to this vision which I deem unnecessary to write. But after it was all over, brother Farnsworth came to himself, standing in Parley-street on a beautiful sunshiny day. No covered waggons or excitement in town or about the temple. When he came to himself, he concluded that his exercises were of the Devil, from the fact that he saw neither Joseph nor Hyrum in all the scenes; but it was Brigham, brother Kimball, and the Twelve. Before these scenes began to really take place, Joseph and Hyrum were killed at Carthage, and consequently were not seen by brother Farnsworth.

J190I relate this from memory, being some months since I heard brother Farnsworth tell it at his residence in Pleasant Grove; but, in the main, it is as he told me, so far as I have related it. There are those here to whom brother Farnsworth told it more than twelve years ago, and they know whether I tell it as he did.

J190I have considerable confidence in this vision, for two reasons. First, brother Farnsworth is a correct man: his character is without spot or blemish. Secondly, this vision corresponds with a hundred and one other sacred things written in ancient and modern times. And I may add a third reason,—it has all been fulfilled to the very letter, so far as time would allow"

(Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 5: 143.)
:o Stephen M. Farnsworth is one of my ancestors.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Stephen M. Farnsworth is one of my ancestors.
Smallfarm
There is a family website. It appears Stephen recorded his vision and whoever started the website has it. Maybe you could locate it?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

NoGreaterLove wrote:
Stephen M. Farnsworth is one of my ancestors.
Smallfarm
There is a family website. It appears Stephen recorded his vision and whoever started the website has it. Maybe you could locate it?
Which website are you referring to? I did a quick search and found several, one of which is run by my uncle.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

So there is no prophecy from an apostle or a prophet of God about an earthquake in Utah?

help
captain of 10

Post by help »

firend wrote:We talked to one of the head geologists out their in Utah. He said more or less that they are expecting a massive quake along the wasatch front anytime.

Basically if you live from Nephi up through Ogden west of the Mountains you are introuble. This quake will also effect all the way up through other states, etc

If you live East of the Mountains, the hit won't be as severe. If you live in Sanpete county the hit will be relatively minor.

He was talking that I think Aspen Hills above draper would be the worst hit. It will slide. Draper as well. Even Herriman will get it bad, but not as bad as the East bench and valley that will liquify. I know he mentioned Nephi as a bad place to be as well when it hits.

If I were you, get off the fault if you can. I have heard if you have quake insurance it won't matter, because the devastation will be so wide spread, that the insurance companies will get a waver from the government not having to pay (like hurricanes in the past)....your up the creek without a paddle then.

I agree, it is my understanding that when a major destructive event happens, and destroys many insured buildings, that the government does have a loop hole to allow insurance companies out of having to pay.

2 of my close friends are insurance adjusters so I believe them.

I am not talking some tornado wipes out a couple hundred homes, this future quake in Wasatch front might be so big that 10's of thousands of buildings will be wiped out.

i say if you can get off the wasatch front, by the spirit ofcourse, do it!

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

help wrote:
firend wrote:We talked to one of the head geologists out their in Utah. He said more or less that they are expecting a massive quake along the wasatch front anytime.

I agree, it is my understanding that when a major destructive event happens, and destroys many insured buildings, that the government does have a loop hole to allow insurance companies out of having to pay.

2 of my close friends are insurance adjusters so I believe them.

I am not talking some tornado wipes out a couple hundred homes, this future quake in Wasatch front might be so big that 10's of thousands of buildings will be wiped out.

i say if you can get off the wasatch front, by the spirit ofcourse, do it!

funny u should say that. My friend who lives in Draper mentioned the same sort of thing. Has anyone considered another thing....Lets say 100,000 homes insured by X insurance Co. were destroyed in Utah quake....oops srry we can't pay...we will declare bankruptcy lol

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Take at look at the exclusions in you insurance policy and you will see earthquakes are not covered no matter what.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Nan wrote:So there is no prophecy from an apostle or a prophet of God about an earthquake in Utah?
Apparently that is correct, Nan...

Most people here talk about the great Utah quake because:

1) the SLC media periodically mentions the possibility of an earthquake, and various preparations, retrofits, etc...

AND/OR

2) someone frequently mentions someone else (non-prophet/G.A.) who had a dream involving great destruction and persecution across the nation, and particularly a devastating earthquake in Utah (notably, Sarah Menet, but others also). Many of those who have posted to this forum seem to take a perverse and holier-than-thou prideful satisfaction in the "Upon my House it shall begin" scenarios - as is they will derive great joy when all those Mormons In Name Only (MINO's) - (Saints In Name Only/SINO's ?) get what's coming to them because they:

a) Believe America is the greatest nation on earth
b) vote Republican (instead of Constitution/American Independent),
c) purchase big homes,
d) enjoy pop culture and the things of society more than they should (not including those actually committing church discipline-type sins),
e) many saints - just like the rest of the world - are struggling to deal with the challenges and temptations of the world, and are often falling short
f) either don't understand/don't believe in conspiracy theories,
g) believe in supporting Israel against saber-rattling, missile-lobbing, and suicide-bombing Arabs,
and of course,
h) are not ready to bug out and flee to a tent city after some hush-hush after-church meeting for only those with a full 1-year's supply of food.

All in the context of "once the wicked Tares (Saints and Gentiles) are burnt like chaff, then the Lord can REALLY bless his faithful (those posters who will derive great joy when those who (A-H above) are destroyed) and call ME to build the New Jerusalem!"

This list is not all inclusive....we could all think of something to add ;p

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Thanks HeirofNumenor. It seems so weird some of the stuff that people believe that is going to happen that isn't 1)in the scriptures, or 2) said by a prophet or apostle.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I agree that the highly-publicized earthquake-proofing of the LDS Tabernacle in SLC was itself a warning, from the Brethren.

Here from Yohani Wolfgram:

Yohani Wolfgram
A dream that he had in 1989 seeing the future of America as told to a close friend.

Many of you are familiar with the great Tongan Patriarch Yohani Wolfgram who died recently. On a recent trip I talked to someone who was a close friend of brother Wolfgrams and who recounted to me an experience that he had had around 1989. It was a dream of the cleansing of America. Here are a few salient points that he mentioned:

* The Big economic collapse which leads to chaos will begin in the last year of the 2nd term of the son of George Bush who will become president.
* There will be a great drought at about this same time all over the country.
* Many in the Church will become unrighteous and apostatize

* Great upheavals all over. In the Wasatch front area a tremendous earthquake will occur. The mountains and the valleys will be rearranged.
* The righteous will be spared while the unrighteous will be cleansed from the land by earthquake, flood, and plague.

* There will be a nuclear bomb or bombs go off in Northern Utah that will affect as far south as the Salt Lake Valley.
* Millions of foreign troops will invade America.
* The main foreign force in the Utah area will be chinese or chinese looking troops mixed with latin american troops.

* The rocky mountain area will then become a sacred, fruitful place where the righteous will gather.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Don't get me wrong. We have been obedient. We are debt free except our house and we have a year supply of food and clothing. And I don't live in Utah. But there is no statement of prophesy from an apostle or prophet that an earthquake is going to occur. I am not saying one won't happen. I just find it interesting how many people put their faith in people who are not the prophets or apostles. And this hits all spectrum's of the LDS society including here.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Nan wrote:Thanks HeirofNumenor. It seems so weird some of the stuff that people believe that is going to happen that isn't 1)in the scriptures, or 2) said by a prophet or apostle.
I don't think that it needs to be specificly prophesied to understand that when trials come to Utah and they will that a major earthquakewould be involved. I believe that its a well reasoned conjecture but as far as specific prophecies I don't place much weight in them.

We know that natural disasters will happy and that.is prophesied

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

This concerns me a great deal as my wife and I still have a lot of family and friends in Utah:

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - Utah geologists and seismologists are doing the calculations and monitoring the sensors and they are warning that we are due for a huge earthquake in Utah. They say that's not a prediction, it's a promise. It's not IF it's going to happen, it’s WHEN it is going to happen. Is Utah ready?

The major earthquake fault in Utah runs the entire length of the state, but the most active and most dangerous section of the fault slices through the most populated area of the state.

It runs from Brigham City to Nephi, cutting right through the Salt Lake Valley along the Wasatch Front. The fault cuts Sugarhouse in half. When it moves it will do extensive damage and cause a major loss of life.

Gary Christianson of the Utah Geological Survey told ABC 4's Ross Becker, "I don't think any of us are ready for this, it's gonna be a surprise to a lot of us."

Utah state emergency planners are estimating that when the 7.5 magnitude quake occurs, 5000 people will die in the first hour after the quake and there will be 15,000 people injured and needing medical attention.

Most un-reinforced masonry buildings with either collapse or be damaged so extensively that they cannot be used. Sewer lines will rupture along with water lines and the two will mix, making our water supply useless. Power will be cut. Phones will be out of service, probably for days. Natural gas leaks will cause fires. When you call 9-1-1, you will get a busy signal. "So, initially it is going to be individual and family preparedness that carried the day after a catastrophic earthquake," said Mike Stevers the Emergency Planning Director for the City of Salt Lake.

He says families need to prepare now by taking a walk through their home and doing an assessment. They need to start gathering emergency supplies, and "Families need to have a plan," he says. "What would we do if we have an earthquake and you are at school and I am at work...where would we meet?...have an alternate meeting place or a way to communicate with your family."

When the major earthquake strikes Utah it will change our way of life forever and take years to recover from the physical and psychological damage. State and local officials are urging all of us to prepare now.

There is a web site designed to help you do an earthquake assessment, it is www.slcneighborhoodpreparedness.net.

ABC 4 also urges everyone to have a battery-powered radio or TV with extra batteries so that you can take advantage of the important messages broadcast on the Emergency Alert System. It will be your link during the emergency to critical information.