The Horseshoe Prophecy

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Mullenite
captain of 1,000

The Horseshoe Prophecy

Post by Mullenite »

The Horseshoe Prophecy

A Remarkable Prophecy By President John Taylor As Told by Edward Lunt, An Ordinance Worker in the Mesa Temple

The following incident occurred at my father's home in Cedar City, at the time a stake conference was being held in that city, at which President John Taylor and George A. Smith were present.

Apostle Smith was asked to conduct the conference, as President Taylor wished to rest after his having held meetings in the different wards and stakes between Salt Lake City and Cedar City. President Taylor asked Elder George A. Smith to start the conference, as he wished to rest until the afternoon meeting. President Taylor, with some of the authorities, was staying at the home of my parents during this conference.

President Taylor wished to go to his room and lie down. He asked my mother to awaken him in time for the afternoon conference, as he feared he might oversleep and thus fail to arrive at the conference in time.
My mother was busy preparing dinner for the visitors but was surprised to see President Taylor come into the kitchen so soon after retiring for his much needed rest. He immediately started telling mother of a most remarkable vision that he had just had while in his room.

He stated that he saw that Salt Lake City would become a great city with many beautiful paved roads and streets of cement construction, and that the people had become wealthy. He saw that the city extended almost to the point of the mountain south of the new 1951 State prison.

The people, he saw, had become quite indifferent to the counsel and advice of the authorities of the church, and were more interested in the accumulation of wealth than they were in living their religion. He told mother that he saw that war had been started, and that so great was the destruction of life within the city that blood ran down the gutters as though it were streams of water, and the violence was such that it would cause the destruction of the beautiful city. The people were fighting among themselves until it became necessary to remove the church records across the Colorado river.

President Taylor said to mother, "If you are alive at that time, be sure that you are not behind the Church records, because after the Church records leave and are made secure, the very powers of hell would be turned loose, and there will be such destruction that there will be but little life remain, ---not only in Salt Lake City, but in adjoining cities also. And in Jackson County, Missouri civilization will become entirely extinct, and all means of transportation such as rail roads and highways will be destroyed, and the only means of travel will be on foot.

All means of manufacturing will also be entirely destroyed. Be sure when you see these things come that you have buttons, needles, cloth and things to work with as much as possible, to make yourselves clothing, because all tools and every kind of machinery will be destroyed. It will be such a destructive war that in comparison to the sufferings and the drivings of the people of Nauvoo, it would be only a drop in the bucket.

"One half of the Mormon people will entirely forsake their leaders, and half of the other half, because of their suffering, will leave the church. Many Mormons will die in the struggle, but the Lord will bless those who stick faithfully to the church and will bless them to the extent that they will not be destroyed."

He said that faithful Latter-day Saints would go to the south and would form a circle something like a horseshoe, before they return to Jackson County, Missouri. Said he, "Those only will be privileged to help build Jackson County who will be found willing and glad to obey the counsel and advice of the authorities who will be placed over them, and who will seek counsel that they may be guided and protected from dire want and distress.

President Taylor also said that we will assist the Lamanites in building the New Jerusalem in Jackson county. He said that the vision to him appeared so terrible that he besought the Lord to close it up, but he saw that those who would keep the commandments and adhere to the authorities of the church would be the ones who would survive and not be destroyed. And that the lord would protect them as he did the children of Israel.

The above experience my mother told to me many, many times; and she held this great experience very sacred.

Subscribed and sworn to this 28th day of June, 1951.

/s/Edward Lunt

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Re: The Horseshoe Prophecy

Post by Hyrcanus »

Interesting, it has been awhile since I've heard this one come up. There was an old BYU studies article the mentioned this. In that article IIRC they cited a First Presidency letter warning that the Horseshoe Prophecy wasn't to be trusted, and that members shouldn't allow themselves to be led around by rumors.

I think the article dealt more broadly with Mormon Urban Legends/Folklore generally and was pretty good. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

everything that is not yet future has come true in it.

Not sure what te records of the Church part meant. I didn't understand what it was saying there.

Sounds a lot like other verifiable prophecies as well.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Mahonri wrote:everything that is not yet future has come true in it.

Not sure what te records of the Church part meant. I didn't understand what it was saying there.

I still haven't had time to dig up the article. A couple extra points though:

- Part of the controversy at the time had to do with a particular version of this that was floating around that had some pretty divisive racial statements.

- This Prophecy was only recorded in the 1950's, even though it was reported to have been said in the 1880's.

I promise I'll dig around for this when I get home to provide some context for what I'm citing (hopefully with a reasonable degree of accuracy).

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

There tends to be a "don't believe it because it's not verifiable" claim to much of this stuff. I wouldn't live my life by it, but the Holy Ghost can help someone know if such and such prophecy is true and they do provide a reference frame is studied along side of verifiable and canonized claims.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

Hyrcanus wrote:
- Part of the controversy at the time had to do with a particular version of this that was floating around that had some pretty divisive racial statements.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh man that is funny.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Hyrcanus wrote:
Mahonri wrote:everything that is not yet future has come true in it.

I still haven't had time to dig up the article. A couple extra points though:

- This Prophecy was only recorded in the 1950's, even though it was reported to have been said in the 1880's.

I promise I'll dig around for this when I get home to provide some context for what I'm citing (hopefully with a reasonable degree of accuracy).
Ok, I found it:

http://byustudies.byu.edu/showTitle.aspx?title=5265

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

that was pretty tame stuff

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Mahonri wrote:that was pretty tame stuff
Heh, it is BYU Studies ;)

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

Hyrcanus wrote:

You know one of the Deans of Religion at BYU (I will keep names anonymous) actually told me and I quote "the Book of Isaiah is only a history book, all of which has happened already."

So would that statement be considered "folklore" by the BYU studies definition? :lol: :wink:

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

serenitylala wrote:
Hyrcanus wrote:

You know one of the Deans of Religion at BYU (I will keep names anonymous) actually told me and I quote "the Book of Isaiah is only a history book, all of which has happened already."

So would that statement be considered "folklore" by the BYU studies definition? :lol: :wink:
:shock: :roll:

BYU is so dangerous. It leads so many LDS astray because so many assume if it is at a Church school, it might as well be in the D&C. Same as Deseret Book. :cry:

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Mahonri wrote: :shock: :roll:

BYU is so dangerous. It leads so many LDS astray because so many assume if it is at a Church school, it might as well be in the D&C. Same as Deseret Book. :cry:
To be fair, that is largely of problem of the poor critical thinking skills of the members following individuals instead of the Lord. I've never attended BYU, but I don't blame the institution for wacky members involved in it.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

Hyrcanus wrote:
Mahonri wrote: :shock: :roll:

To be fair, that is largely of problem of the poor critical thinking skills of the members following individuals instead of the Lord. I've never attended BYU, but I don't blame the institution for wacky members involved in it.
Oh, believe me, I don't blame the Lord. This is all on the wacky members that work there. (a personal friend that I grew up with is a professor there :wink: )

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Last edited by notjamesbond003.5 on August 22nd, 2014, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Mullenite wrote:The Horseshoe Prophecy

A Remarkable Prophecy By President John Taylor As Told by Edward Lunt, An Ordinance Worker in the Mesa Temple

The following incident occurred at my father's home in Cedar City, at the time a stake conference was being held in that city, at which President John Taylor and George A. Smith were present.

Apostle Smith was asked to conduct the conference, as President Taylor wished to rest after his having held meetings in the different wards and stakes between Salt Lake City and Cedar City. President Taylor asked Elder George A. Smith to start the conference, as he wished to rest until the afternoon meeting. President Taylor, with some of the authorities, was staying at the home of my parents during this conference.

President Taylor wished to go to his room and lie down. He asked my mother to awaken him in time for the afternoon conference, as he feared he might oversleep and thus fail to arrive at the conference in time.
My mother was busy preparing dinner for the visitors but was surprised to see President Taylor come into the kitchen so soon after retiring for his much needed rest. He immediately started telling mother of a most remarkable vision that he had just had while in his room.

He stated that he saw that Salt Lake City would become a great city with many beautiful paved roads and streets of cement construction, and that the people had become wealthy. He saw that the city extended almost to the point of the mountain south of the new 1951 State prison.

The people, he saw, had become quite indifferent to the counsel and advice of the authorities of the church, and were more interested in the accumulation of wealth than they were in living their religion. He told mother that he saw that war had been started, and that so great was the destruction of life within the city that blood ran down the gutters as though it were streams of water, and the violence was such that it would cause the destruction of the beautiful city. The people were fighting among themselves until it became necessary to remove the church records across the Colorado river.

President Taylor said to mother, "If you are alive at that time, be sure that you are not behind the Church records, because after the Church records leave and are made secure, the very powers of hell would be turned loose, and there will be such destruction that there will be but little life remain, ---not only in Salt Lake City, but in adjoining cities also. And in Jackson County, Missouri civilization will become entirely extinct, and all means of transportation such as rail roads and highways will be destroyed, and the only means of travel will be on foot.

All means of manufacturing will also be entirely destroyed. Be sure when you see these things come that you have buttons, needles, cloth and things to work with as much as possible, to make yourselves clothing, because all tools and every kind of machinery will be destroyed. It will be such a destructive war that in comparison to the sufferings and the drivings of the people of Nauvoo, it would be only a drop in the bucket.

"One half of the Mormon people will entirely forsake their leaders, and half of the other half, because of their suffering, will leave the church. Many Mormons will die in the struggle, but the Lord will bless those who stick faithfully to the church and will bless them to the extent that they will not be destroyed."

He said that faithful Latter-day Saints would go to the south and would form a circle something like a horseshoe, before they return to Jackson County, Missouri. Said he, "Those only will be privileged to help build Jackson County who will be found willing and glad to obey the counsel and advice of the authorities who will be placed over them, and who will seek counsel that they may be guided and protected from dire want and distress.

President Taylor also said that we will assist the Lamanites in building the New Jerusalem in Jackson county. He said that the vision to him appeared so terrible that he besought the Lord to close it up, but he saw that those who would keep the commandments and adhere to the authorities of the church would be the ones who would survive and not be destroyed. And that the lord would protect them as he did the children of Israel.

The above experience my mother told to me many, many times; and she held this great experience very sacred.

/s/Edward Lunt
The more I read this, the more it seems to be coming to fruition.
Many here are leaving The Faith.
Many find fault with The Brethren.

The borders are no longer secure, it's as easy as walking into a Walmart, actually easier than walking into a Walmart.
You see w Walmart you have to exchange hellos w a greeter, people from Mexico can cross easily into the USA without talking to anyone.

So, I'm watching and seeing as things unfold, trying not to find fault w The Brethren or Church policies, loving people around me and even the loneliest stranger, but mostly my Savior who enables me.

Do thou likewise.

njb
Last edited by notjamesbond003.5 on August 22nd, 2014, 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I've lived in SLC, Lehi and Provo, although I was born and raised in WA state. Graduated from BYU, too, as well as all of my four siblings. Heck, my grandfather used to teach there.

Now, I'm not overly qualified to judge. In fact not qualified at all. But I will say what I experienced in SLC and Lehi, as to members who seek wealth above all else, kinda blew my mind. I expected a sanctified and holy people, but what I experienced was an abundance of pyramid schemes and "wealth advisors" who used the teachings of the church to convince other members that it was the Mormons' fate to be extremely wealthy. Better still, they knew the path to wealth and for a modest fee they would teach and sell you all you needed to become one of the wise and wealthy whom the Lord had chosen.

I'm paraphrasing only slightly.

I came away convinced that the church is true, but that there is a different culture practiced by the members in Utah valley and the SLC area that quite differed from anything I experienced growing up. It repelled me then, such that I chose to move, and I feel a bit sad now whenever I think of the deceptions taking place there. "Philosophies of men...."

Southern Utah may be entirely different, I don't know. But if they practice the gospel and live godly lives, I would be happy to join them. As for up north, I could understand why if the Lord decided it needed a cleansing prior to His coming.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I saw a lot of people riding mountain bikes the other day would they work do get around if things got bad ?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

OCDMOM wrote:I saw a lot of people riding mountain bikes the other day would they work do get around if things got bad ?
Only if the bike is easily convertible into a canoe, from what I hear.....

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

iWriteStuff wrote:I've lived in SLC, Lehi and Provo, although I was born and raised in WA state. Graduated from BYU, too, as well as all of my four siblings. Heck, my grandfather used to teach there.

Now, I'm not overly qualified to judge. In fact not qualified at all. But I will say what I experienced in SLC and Lehi, as to members who seek wealth above all else, kinda blew my mind. I expected a sanctified and holy people, but what I experienced was an abundance of pyramid schemes and "wealth advisors" who used the teachings of the church to convince other members that it was the Mormons' fate to be extremely wealthy. Better still, they knew the path to wealth and for a modest fee they would teach and sell you all you needed to become one of the wise and wealthy whom the Lord had chosen.

I came away convinced that the church is true, but that there is a different culture practiced by the members in Utah valley and the SLC area that quite differed from anything I experienced growing up. It repelled me then, such that I chose to move, and I feel a bit sad now whenever I think of the deceptions taking place there. "Philosophies of men...."

Southern Utah may be entirely different, I don't know. But if they practice the gospel and live godly lives, I would be happy to join them. As for up north, I could understand why if the Lord decided it needed a cleansing prior to His coming.

Your post pretty much sums up my experience of living in the Salt Lake/ Provo area. I only lasted 2.5 years before moving on. I couldn't take it any longer. I have never seen a group of people-- that should know better--- conduct themselves in such a poor manner.

I can't say I was really all that surprised though. I grew up in an area of the country that was a hot bed for LDS tourism. Unfortunately, the arrogance of the members--mostly from Utah-- was amazing and did a lot of damage to the hearts and minds of the non-members in the area. Even the members of my ward hated it when summer rolled around and the "righteous" families from out west would grace our meetings.

I will say though, my brother lives in Southern Utah and it seems to be quite different than the areas I lived in up North.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Mullenite wrote: August 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm The Horseshoe Prophecy

/s/Edward Lunt
Bump

I came across some references to this 'Horeshoe Prophecy' and figured it was probably discussed on the forum at one time. While someone did reference the church's refutation of this prophecy, they didn't post it so I will, in case it gets resurrected again(which is extremely likely). This is from a blog by Matthew Roper, It's very informative and includes the First Presidency debunking of the 'prophecy'.

http://etherscave.blogspot.com/2015/08/ ... phecy.html

Beware the "Horse Shoe Prophecy"
To friends, family, and fellow Latter-day Saints,

From time to time old canards, false rumors, and purported prophecies and revelations are dug up, recycled and recirculated, warmed up and presented to others as good food when they are nothing of the kind. One of these has re-surfaced again and is being cited or paraphrased in Facebook, blogs and other social media. Long known as the "horse shoe prophecy" it purports to have been a revelation given by John Taylor which gives dire predictions about Salt Lake City, large groups of Church members leaving the Church, the Church removing their records "beyond the Colorado river" and so-forth. In 1970 the First Presidency issued a letter warning the Saints about this false tale. That letter, still relevant in light of some recent rumors, was published in the Church News on April 4, 1970, and reads as follows

PRESIDENTS OF STAKES, BISHOPS OF WARDS AND PRESIDENTS OF MISSIONS IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA

March 30, 1970

Dear Brethren:

We have had called to our attention by several people, a purported revelation, or dream, or vision, which President John Taylor, the third president of the Church, allegedly had received and communicated to a housewife in her kitchen while at the home where he had been resting between conference sessions while attending meetings in Cedar City, Utah.

This purported statement, if ever given under such unheard of circumstances, was never presented to any of his associates or in any council of the Church and no record whatsoever is to be found in the historian’s office.

We have the following memorandum from the Church Historian’s Office in Salt Lake City under the date of February 11, 1970 which reads as follows:

“TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN :

The so-called `Horse Shoe Prophecy’ of President John Taylor has a questionable background and history.

1. The `prophecy’ was first written down in 1951 by Edward Lunt which is between 64 and 74 years after it was supposed to have been given.

2. His mother ran the hotel from 1877 to 1888 during which time the `prophecy’ was supposed to have been given. President Taylor died July 25, 1887.

3. George A. Smith was supposed to have been there with President Taylor but he died in 1875, which was two years prior to the time Brother Lunt’s mother was in the hotel.

4. He states that his mother did not tell him until 1903 or 1904, which was about 25 years after it was supposed to have been given.

5. We have five different copies and no two of them are identical in wording.

6. One contains a statement about the Negro that purportedly is not in any of the others and particularly the one `version’ which was signed by Edward Lunt.

7. In checking the Deseret News we can find no record of President Taylor being in Cedar City after 1883. Nor is anything in the Parowan Stake Conference minutes.

8. There is no record by any of the General Authorities about it nor is there anything in the diaries of which we have copies.”

This is just another evidence of the cleverly designed motives of individuals who seize upon the emotionalism of our present day to get publicity, and to further agitate the feelings of Church members on matters which must be left to the wisdom of the Lord and his guidance, which are under his divine control.

We would urge you to caution our people against accepting these purported statements of the presiding brethren, past or present, without verification. You may be sure if there is anything that has substance in regard to the safety and welfare of our people, we will see that the leaders of the Church are immediately advised so that we might act wisely and unitedly in order to not over react to present situations.

The real danger lies in our people becoming confused and frustrated and looking elsewhere than to their Church leaders or to civil authorities in matters pertaining to their welfare.

Sincerely yours,

JOSEPH FIELDING SMITH
HAROLD B. LEE
N. ELDON TANNER,
The First Presidency.

[Church News, April 4, 1970]

Posted by Matthew Roper at 8:30 PM
Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Mullenite wrote: August 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm The Horseshoe Prophecy

/s/Edward Lunt
I believe that all of the righteous will gather to the mountains to ride-out the war. The wicked will fight the wicked and our country will collapse,except that of in the mountains. Many people could leave the church when the war starts. There will be millions of gentiles who will come to America to seek refuge in the Rockies ("Phrophecy" by Duane Crowther). I do believe that Jackson County and SLC will not exist after WW3.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I stand with President Benson when it comes to unsubstantiated prophecy.
I speak to you on this subject, for I feel it is needed because of rumors, writings, and tape recordings that have recently circulated among the Saints and that have created among some of our Church members a feeling of uncertainty. It calls to mind the counsel given by President Harold B. Lee:

There are among us many loose writings predicting the calamities which are about to overtake us. Some of these have been publicized as though they were necessary to wake up the world to the horrors about to overtake us. Many of these are from sources upon which there cannot be unquestioned reliance.

Are you . . . aware of the fact that we need no such publications to be forewarned, if we were only conversant with what the scriptures have already spoken to us in plainness? [“Admonitions for the Priesthood of God,” Ensign, January 1973, p. 106]

That is precisely the way the Brethren feel today. So, today, I shall quote liberally from the words of the Lord to our dispensation in order that you will have, from the Lord himself, guidance on future prophecy.

Prepare Yourselves for the Great Day of the Lord
EZRA TAFT BENSON
of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Apr. 14, 1981
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/ezra-taf ... -day-lord/

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

iWriteStuff wrote: August 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm I've lived in SLC, Lehi and Provo, although I was born and raised in WA state. Graduated from BYU, too, as well as all of my four siblings. Heck, my grandfather used to teach there.

Lol lol lol, is it also true, in Your experience, that many are also in debt up to their eyeballs with interest rates of a horrendous sort? All of this for the purpose of feigning wealth?

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Red wrote: September 25th, 2017, 5:42 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: August 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm I've lived in SLC, Lehi and Provo, although I was born and raised in WA state. Graduated from BYU, too, as well as all of my four siblings. Heck, my grandfather used to teach there.

Lol lol lol, is it also true, in your experience, that many are in debt up to their eyeballs with interest rates of a horrendous sort? All of this for the purpose of feigning wealth?