Amish home for sale near Jamesport, MO (near Adam-ondi- )

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Amish home for sale near Jamesport, MO (near Adam-ondi- )

Post by BroJones »

Lezlee and I looked at this farm of 45 acres plus several buildings and liked it... now the price has dropped Dramatically... from about $140,000 to $110,000. sigh...

The house is large, with a FULL basement. A basement of that size would cost around $60K just for the basement. NOT wired for electricity (Amish built, remember?)

And of course the 45 acres would be worth around $90K or so. A large pond stocked with fish.

Plus there is a HUGE barn -- ground floor with stalls for the horses and a place for cows or a bull, and a loft which looks like they used it for word-working. Roughly 3,000 sq feet on each floor.

Plus a large SILO. And what Lezlee calls a "carriage house" with cement floor, two stories, south-facing for solar applications.

Long driveway gives seclusion. Amish neighbors, mostly. Used to living off-grid...

Jamesport is a mostly Amish community roughly 10 miles from AOA, with Amish stores -- lots of fun.

http://www.landsofmissouri.com/missouri ... _id=526490

There is also an old church for sale in Gilman City MO (farming town of about 300 folks), about 12 miles from AOA... only $10K -- and I'll actually consider paying half if someone want to go in on it with me.

I've seen them both. Existing blgs/farms are SO Inexpensive now near AOA!!

Swmorgan77
captain of 100

Re: Amish home for sale near Jamesport, MO (near Adam-ondi-

Post by Swmorgan77 »

DrJones wrote:Lezlee and I looked at this farm of 45 acres plus several buildings and liked it... now the price has dropped Dramatically... from about $140,000 to $110,000. sigh...

The house is large, with a FULL basement. A basement of that size would cost around $60K just for the basement. NOT wired for electricity (Amish built, remember?)

And of course the 45 acres would be worth around $90K or so. A large pond stocked with fish.

Plus there is a HUGE barn -- ground floor with stalls for the horses and a place for cows or a bull, and a loft which looks like they used it for word-working. Roughly 3,000 sq feet on each floor.

Plus a large SILO. And what Lezlee calls a "carriage house" with cement floor, two stories, south-facing for solar applications.

Long driveway gives seclusion. Amish neighbors, mostly. Used to living off-grid...

Jamesport is a mostly Amish community roughly 10 miles from AOA, with Amish stores -- lots of fun.

http://www.landsofmissouri.com/missouri ... _id=526490

There is also an old church for sale in Gilman City MO (farming town of about 300 folks), about 12 miles from AOA... only $10K -- and I'll actually consider paying half if someone want to go in on it with me.

I've seen them both. Existing blgs/farms are SO Inexpensive now near AOA!!
Wow that's interesting. I've always wondered why more LDS people don't look for land in those areas.
Last edited by Swmorgan77 on July 11th, 2010, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jnewby
captain of 100

Post by Jnewby »

Sounds interesting, are you looking for partners for the church or for both?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Steve:

We and my wife's family were in Jamesport on our way to Adam Ondi Ahman in May, 2009 on our way back from our 10 day trip to Nauvoo (traveled to Kearney, MO that night, then hit Independence/Liberty the next day). While in Jamesport for the few hours we were there, we stopped at an old antique shop and then went to the Country Cupboard for dinner... was some of the best food we'd ever tasted! Have you and Lezlee been there? Also... how did you two like state road 190? It's like a roller coaster ride isn't it? The kids loved it (including Dad)!! My wife... not so much... she was freaking out, making sure I slowed down over some of those hills. :D

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Jnewby wrote:Sounds interesting, are you looking for partners for the church or for both?
Update: sorry, too late -- the old church has been sold; and the Amish farm is under contract, last I checked. Good deals move fast!

Col -- yes, we've eaten great meals several times at the corner restaurant in Jamesport -- I'm sure its the same one you ate at.
And the roller-coaster roads are common near AOA ...
Except AOA itself has the large and remarkably FLAT valley... where at least one great meeting has taken place (under Adam's direction) and another will soon enough occur (under Christ's direction).

But hardly anyone wants to buy real estate out there... sigh,,

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Will owning real estate in the vicinity of AOA get me a ticket to the meeting?

Or would it be more like parking out on the highway, watching the Drive-In movie with binoculars? :lol:

Tawanda
captain of 10

Post by Tawanda »

Dr. Jones ~ I was searching for Amish homes & property in Missouri and google listed this post in the LDSFF. I clicked the link and here I am! lol I know some folks seriously (very seriously) looking for property out AOA, Jamesport way ... especially interested in living amidst the Amish. They aren't sure what part of MO they will end up in, but are looking all over the state in hopes of finding the right property. This one you posted looks FABulous! Do you know of any others you've seen lately you could let me know about? Thanks! :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

ah, Missouri!
We've had a long cold winter. About 32F today, sunny (not bad) -- almost no snow on the ground which is nice.
google "NW Mo real estate"... Housing around here (Albany) is cheap in general. Do you want to live in town, or more out in the country?

Do you want to live on the Gallatin ward side (east of I-15), or west on the Albany Branch side?
I know more about the west side; this is where we live.

Best wishes!

Steve

Tawanda
captain of 10

Post by Tawanda »

DrJones wrote:ah, Missouri!
Do you want to live in town, or more out in the country?

Do you want to live on the Gallatin ward side (east of I-15), or west on the Albany Branch side?
I know more about the west side; this is where we live.

Best wishes!

Steve
What are the advantages/disadvantages of W vs. E? As to town or country? The small towns are appealing, and it sounds like country living is what is being looked for. They are just looking to be where the Lord would have them be and I'm helping them do their homework in finding some property. I'm confident if I make a Sanpete comparison it would give you a good notion what is being looked for. A place like Spring City or the outer Manti area would be comparable.

Tawanda
captain of 10

Post by Tawanda »

Ok, a little slow on the uptake ... I saw your (east of I-15) comment on first read and it went over my head. Using that as a barometer, I would rather the 'west on Albany Branch side' so I could afford more property. Thanks for your help. My friends are preparing for their drive out to MO in the next couple weeks. I hope to follow at the end of the year along with other family members. I know I'll be there in the near future, just depends on the Lord's time-table as to when.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Property is generally cheap in NW Mo, has been for several years. Rural communities.
Coming out -- great -- that's the best way to see it and make decisions IMO.
Hope to see you before too long.
Albany branch starts with Sacrament Mtg at 10 am.