Last Days prophecies from uncanonized sources....

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Stephen
captain of 1,000

Last Days prophecies from uncanonized sources....

Post by Stephen »

Have you ever seen the church video "An Ensign to the Nations"? It's on youtube in 6 parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5sm0zu6EY

One thing that is especially interesting about the video...is that they go to various nations and show how the church grew based upon revelations given to non-LDS in dreams and visions. What makes it so intriguing is that it is a church video...that lends credence to revelations given outside of the order of the church. Uncanonized revelations. While you may have no problem with this...as you shouldn't...there are many that would seek to say that any revelation not given directly to the prophet...must be of the devil...even though that is not the doctrine.

Given that as a background...I recently listened to this incredible lecture by Lance Richardson...

http://deseretbook.com/item/4982418/They_Saw_Our_Day

He went out and interviewed various American Indian tribes and weaved together common threads regarding the prophecies of their elders...and matched it up with LDS theology. A lot of what he covered is called the Hopi prophecy. It is talked about in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cylfQtkDg

He also interviewed a tibetan priest....and went over the vision of George Washington...Nostradamus...and Mother Shipton.

These peoples had visions that are quite sobering...and much of what they saw has come to pass. While I don't think that it should take precedence over canonized revelations...I think much of it a good spice for your dinner. An enhancer to one's understanding of how things may unfold.

farfromhome
captain of 100

Re: Last Days prophecies from uncanonized sources....

Post by farfromhome »

Stephen wrote:Have you ever seen the church video "An Ensign to the Nations"? It's on youtube in 6 parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5sm0zu6EY

One thing that is especially interesting about the video...is that they go to various nations and show how the church grew based upon revelations given to non-LDS in dreams and visions. What makes it so intriguing is that it is a church video...that lends credence to revelations given outside of the order of the church. Uncanonized revelations. While you may have no problem with this...as you shouldn't...there are many that would seek to say that any revelation not given directly to the prophet...must be of the devil...even though that is not the doctrine.

Given that as a background...I recently listened to this incredible lecture by Lance Richardson...

http://deseretbook.com/item/4982418/They_Saw_Our_Day

He went out and interviewed various American Indian tribes and weaved together common threads regarding the prophecies of their elders...and matched it up with LDS theology. A lot of what he covered is called the Hopi prophecy. It is talked about in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cylfQtkDg

He also interviewed a tibetan priest....and went over the vision of George Washington...Nostradamus...and Mother Shipton.

These peoples had visions that are quite sobering...and much of what they saw has come to pass. While I don't think that it should take precedence over canonized revelations...I think much of it a good spice for your dinner. An enhancer to one's understanding of how things may unfold.
You raise some very cogent points, Stephen. The vision of George Washington, for example is very highly regarded by many patriots and something we might discuss more here... particularly what he said about a second civil war (or a term to that effect).

Thank you for the links.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: (Acts 2:17)

Moroni says that all spiritual gifts “come by the Spirit of Christ," (Moroni. 10:17) and we know that the Spirit of Christ "giveth light to every man that cometh into the world" (D&C 84:46)

Elder Dallin H. Oaks says that manifestations of the Holy Ghost given to non-members are preparatory gifts given to men and women to lead them to the truth and to prepare them for repentance and baptism. He says that in exceptional circumstances these manisfestations might include seeing Heavenly beings:
As men and women desire to believe, they develop faith in God. (See Alma 32:26–43.) When they have enough faith, they can receive a manifestation of the Holy Ghost. In unusual circumstances, to serve the purposes of God, such a manifestation might even include seeing heavenly beings." (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Spiritual Gifts, Ensign, September 1986)
Possibly the greatest vision of all was given to a young man who wasn't a member of the Church, hadn't been baptized, didn't have the Priesthood, but who saw God the Father and the Son and many angels. :wink: (JS-H 1:17)

Even though I believe that these manifestations are extremely rare - they do happen! And the same qualification applies that also applies to members of the church - they don't happen to the carnal, sensual and devilish! (3 Nephi 8:1) :D

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

That's interesting, as I have also studied most of the Hopi Prophecies, in particular Prophecy Rock and also their "ten signs of the approach of the end of the age". Certainly some interesting reading.

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Original_Intent wrote:That's interesting, as I have also studied
most of the Hopi Prophecies, in particular
Prophecy Rock and also their "ten signs of
the approach of the end of the age"...
Funny you should mention that--I just
watched an excellent short video on
those "ten signs" today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBRop2LH ... r_embedded

Best Regards,
Sharon in Mississippi

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Great video! I think they only listed nine in that video, the one I read mentioned the "blue star kachina" and I seem to remember it had something to do with dancing in the plaza or something?

Here it is. (googled blue star kachina, have no idea about this site, but the story is pretty close to what I had read)

http://2012rising.com/article/was-comet ... -blue-star

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

LukeAir: You said or quoted: "they don't happen to the carnal, sensual, and devilish".
True inspired dreams and prophecies "don't happen to the carnal, sensual, and devilish". However, as in most things, the adversary has his "look alike"...and I seem to remember something somewhere being said that the adversary has "similar" powers as the Savior except that the Savior has power over him. I might be misquoting that. I have non-member friends who "claim" to have had dreams or some sort of revelation that is contrary to the gospel principles that I know.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I have known someone since I was 10 years old who emphatically proclaims even to this day that our Savior appeared to him and told him the reorganized LDS is the true church. He was not lying to me. He really believes it was Christ.

Luke brings up a good point
preparatory gifts given to men and women to lead them to the truth and to prepare them for repentance and baptism. He says that in exceptional circumstances these manisfestations might include seeing Heavenly beings:
I believe the Lord is constantly revealing his will to people through revelation, either inside or outside the church. However the Lord is not going to give a Hopi spiritual leader revelation for me.
Sometimes it is fun to read that stuff to see the similarities with modern revelation, but I have never read one where it was all true. It was always truth mixed with deception.

Stephen say:
One thing that is especially interesting about the video...is that they go to various nations and show how the church grew based upon revelations given to non-LDS in dreams and visions.
Joseph Smith was not LDS when he received the first vision. Columbus was not LDS when he was lead by the spirit to America, George Washington was not LDS when he was inspired. They all received revelation concerning their stewardship.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

NoGreaterLove wrote:
Stephen say:
One thing that is especially interesting about the video...is that they go to various nations and show how the church grew based upon revelations given to non-LDS in dreams and visions.
Joseph Smith was not LDS when he received the first vision. Columbus was not LDS when he was lead by the spirit to America, George Washington was not LDS when he was inspired. They all received revelation concerning their stewardship.
I'm not saying it is a revelation to me...just that the video flies in the face of those who do think that way. That all visions come only to the prophet...people of our faith...etc...

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

That all visions come only to the prophet...people of our faith...etc...
I would disagree with those who purport this also.

mchlwise
captain of 100

Post by mchlwise »

I have long believed that eternal truths can be found in unlikely places, if you are open enough to recognize them even though the source might be unexpected.

When I was younger, I was (for whatever reason) hung up on the concept that resurrected beings don't have blood in their veins. I was, one day, watching a movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger who uttered the line "If it bleeds... you can kill it." An eternal truth that cleared up my questions and gave me understanding.

NO ONE is under any obligation to take anyone else's word for anything. Not even the prophet can give us a revelation that we are not entitled to verify for ourselves through prayer and the spirit. Revelation from any source must be carefully considered and confirmed by the spirit. Words from a Hopi Indian can be as valid as the words from the prophet - but we must seek the guidance of the spirit before acting on either.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

natasha wrote: I seem to remember something somewhere being said that the adversary has "similar" powers as the Savior except that the Savior has power over him.
Seems logical. "what is that apron you are wearing?"
We know that Satan has much power, including the power to kill, which he would do to each of us if Christ allowed it.
mchlwise wrote:resurrected beings don't have blood in their veins.
Yep.
Leviticus 17: 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood:

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

ktg wrote:
natasha wrote: I seem to remember something somewhere being said that the adversary has "similar" powers as the Savior except that the Savior has power over him.
Seems logical. "what is that apron you are wearing?"
We know that Satan has much power, including the power to kill, which he would do to each of us if Christ allowed it.
mchlwise wrote:resurrected beings don't have blood in their veins.
Yep.
Leviticus 17: 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood:
The thinly veiled (!) reference to temple ordinances makes me a bit uncomfortable. To each his own.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

NGL and Natasha, I would also add to my previous comments that if a supposed revelation is contrary to existing revelation revealed through authorized servants then we can know instantly that it is not from the Lord. Even if it contains part truth and part error, we know it is not from God. That's not how God operates! :roll:

I can, however, think of many instances where non-members have had revelation. One particular area and period of time where many people were having genuine visions and dreams was Africa prior to the 1978 revelation. Many men who later became leaders in the Church were being prepared with visions and dreams confirming the truth of the Book of Mormon, temples and other restored doctrines.

"Anthony Obinna of Nigeria had a dream in 1965 of a beautiful building. “A personage appeared to me three times,” he said. “He took me to the beautiful building and showed me everything in it.” Anthony never forgot that dream, and later, when he came across a picture of the same building in an old copy of Reader’s Digest, he recognized it. It was the Salt Lake Temple." (A People Prepared: Latter Day Saints in West Africa, Ensign, August 1993.) :D

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

I had a woman I was teaching as a missionary tell me...

"I had a dream where I went into a big white building...and inside everyone was wearing white." She went on to describe what the people were doing inside...specifics about clothing...etc. She also spoke of the profound peace she felt.

I testified to her that what she had been shown was the temple of God...and that we had been sent by God to show her the way to get to the temple. It was remarkable.