Harry Reid Firesides ordered by Nevada's LDS Regional Rep?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Wiikwajio

Harry Reid Firesides ordered by Nevada's LDS Regional Rep?

Post by Wiikwajio »

I have just been informed by a VERY reliable source that the Regional Rep that covers Las Vegas area has called the Stake Presidents in Clark County to have Firesides where Harry Reid will come and give the Fireside.

The Regional Rep is the former Democratic Mayor of Henderson, Nevada. He worked with my former Stake President, the one that refused to give me a temple recommend because I did not file Income tax Returns) to give Harry Reid meet and greet. These two Stake P{residents used the Ward lists to invite Mormons to meet with and support Harry Reid in his campaign 12 years ago.

My family stood out front of the meet and greet with signs that said: Gadianton Robbers for Harry Reid enter here.

I wonder if I should file a complaint with the IRS concerning the Church's 501c3 status? I wonder if the Regional Rep does not understand that what he is doing is a violation if the IRS Code. I wonder if he is ostracized at Church?

I have been informed that people that are 100% opposed to Senator Reid's Marxist agenda and beliefs are rather upset that they are being told by their priesthood leaders to get these Firesides ready and even bring refreshments. A few are very upset and feel they are being asked to violate their moral principles by Priesthood leadership.

I will keep you all informed as I learn more. I have been asked to get the News Media involved. Maybe lead a protest at one of the Firesides. Anyone want to come help?

LV Architect
captain of 50

Re: Harry Reid Firesides ordered by Nevada's LDS Regional Re

Post by LV Architect »

SLOW DOWN!!!!

I am in the thick of this controversy and have exchanged emails with local church authorities on this one. Presently the fireside is going to be held as scheduled, and I was told this will not happen again. It is a missionary "Why I believe" fireside for investigators and new converts. The Stake President indicated that Harry Reid and his wife did a "Why I believe" fireside a number of weeks ago and he thought it would be a good experience for those in his Stake.

Some people have suggested gathering for a protest. May I sincerely ask that we do all in our power to minimize the chance that investigators and new members will experience an LDS orchestrated protest at a "Why I believe" fireside. There are few who have stronger feelings about what Brother Reid has done politically than I, but I fear the damage to growing and developing testimonies will make any political gains from a protest in this setting pale in comparison.

We can all argue the wisdom of asking Harry Reid to speak, but please, let us avoid compromising things eternal for things proximate and temporal. There will be plenty of opportunities to voice our dismay with things happening in Washington in the weeks and months leading to November. Let us not run the risk of someone choosing not to receive the covenant blessings of baptism or a new member falling into inactivity because of a political protest!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Perhaps you should remind your friend that he is only obligated to follow his priesthood leaders if they follow the Lord.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Wonder if Reid will use the occasion to bad mouth Ezra Taft Benson. :x

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

LV Architect wrote:SLOW DOWN!!!!

I am in the thick of this controversy and have exchanged emails with local church authorities on this one. Presently the fireside is going to be held as scheduled, and I was told this will not happen again. It is a missionary "Why I believe" fireside for investigators and new converts. The Stake President indicated that Harry Reid and his wife did a "Why I believe" fireside a number of weeks ago and he thought it would be a good experience for those in his Stake.

Some people have suggested gathering for a protest. May I sincerely ask that we do all in our power to minimize the chance that investigators and new members will experience an LDS orchestrated protest at a "Why I believe" fireside. There are few who have stronger feelings about what Brother Reid has done politically than I, but I fear the damage to growing and developing testimonies will make any political gains from a protest in this setting pale in comparison.

We can all argue the wisdom of asking Harry Reid to speak, but please, let us avoid compromising things eternal for things proximate and temporal. There will be plenty of opportunities to voice our dismay with things happening in Washington in the weeks and months leading to November. Let us not run the risk of someone choosing not to receive the covenant blessings of baptism or a new member falling into inactivity because of a political protest!
LV Architect: Great advice! People should do a little more homework before they decide to protest a fireside...especially since it turns out to be geared toward helping investigators. By the way, am I the only one that thinks there is a possibility that wiikwajio is CHH returned?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Okay, isn't it odd that we are told not to appear as if the church endorses one party over another and then, in a tight re-election year for Golum, I mean Reid, we have a Democratic regional rep giving him the opportunity for a high profile appearance at a church fireside? If this had been organized 2 years ago, or after the election, then I would be totally okay with it. On the other hand...well, I think you see my point. It looks like Reid taking a political advantage out of a church event.

My suggestion though is if people want to protest then all the power to them -- this has a political context to it so it is well within people's rights to protest Reid. However, maybe organize a few tea party people and not have any signs making reference to the church.

LV Architect
captain of 50

Post by LV Architect »

roserum wrote:Perhaps you should remind your friend that he is only obligated to follow his priesthood leaders if they follow the Lord.
If you think that a member of the Quorum of the Seventy and a Stake President are not following the Lord, we have bigger problems than Harry Reid.

I have a personal knowledge, born of the Spirit, that these are good men who are leading the stakes of Zion. I am blessed to serve closely with them. They are not perfect but they lead us to Christ whom we should ultimately follow.

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

Doctrine and Covenants 123: 11-13

11 And also it is an imperative duty that we owe to all the rising generation, and to all the pure in heart—
12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are ablinded by the subtle bcraftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to cdeceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they dknow not where to find it—
13 Therefore, that we should waste and awear out our lives in bringing to light all the bhidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—

IMO - I highly doubt that a Gadianton Robber will lead people to the truth, Man cannot serve two masters.

Reid is NOT a Latter-Day Saint- only a wolf wearing the garments of the priesthood, the likes of whom we have been warned about by prophets.

Reid has probably done more damage to the reputation of the church than anyone in modern history.

Wiikwajio- please keep us posted, I'm a short drive away..........

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

I think it is sad that not filing your taxes was more important to you then being worthy to go to the Temple. I hope you have changed that.

Chip45
captain of 100

Post by Chip45 »

Quotes from Civic Standards For The Faithful Saints
Ezra Taft Benson
The Ensign, July, 1972 .....

President Clark warned us that "we stand in danger of losing our liberties, and that once lost, only blood will bring them back; and once lost, we in this church will, in order to keep the Church going forward, have more sacrifices to make and more persecutions to endure than we have yet known. . . ." (CR, April, 1944, p. 116.) And he stated that if the conspiracy "comes here it will probably come in its full vigor and there will be a lot of vacant places among those who guide and direct, not only this government, but also this Church of ours." (CR, April, 1952)

We need the constant guidance of that Spirit. We live in an age of deceit. "O, my people," said Isaiah in the Book of Mormon, "they who lead thee cause thee to err and destroy the way of thy paths." (2 Ne. 13:12.) Even within the Church we have been warned that "the ravening wolves are amongst us, from our own membership, and they, more than any others, are clothed in sheep's clothing, because they wear the habiliments of the priesthood." (J. Reuben Clark, Jr., CR, April, 1949, p. 163.)

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I'm not sure protesting Harry Reid outside a Stake Center is the only means of losing newly baptized members or investigators.

We had a 13 year old boy get up in Testimony Meeting this month who declared that he wants to believe that this is the Lord's Church, but that when he sought help with 'family matters', he was ignored by his leaders & teachers and felt betrayed by a doctor in the Ward who had ''helped' him by reporting his family to the authorities without his consent or knowledge. I realize this young boy is going through a great deal of trauma with his parent's divorce and may be hyper sensitive. However, it seems to me that if we want the 'world' to be converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ then we need to know what that means and live it. When we know what the Gospel of Jesus Christ requires of us in our everyday lives, those looking for the Truth will see it in us as we DO His WORK.

We shouldn't need celebrities to convince strangers that this is Christ's Church.
3Nephi 27
21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;
22 Therefore, if ye do these things blessed are ye, for ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
23 Write the things which ye have seen and heard, save it be those which are forbidden.
24 Write the works of this people, which shall be, even as hath been written, of that which hath been.
25 For behold, out of the books which have been written, and which shall be written, shall this people be judged, for by them shall their works be known unto men.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

LV Architect wrote: We can all argue the wisdom of asking Harry Reid to speak, but please, let us avoid compromising things eternal for things proximate and temporal.
Once things "proximate and temporal" run their course, with Reid, Pelosi et.al. at the wheel, we won't need to be concerned much with things eternal. You see much in the way of church work, temple work or missionary work under marxism? The way the human family is governed in this life means EVERYTHING, my friend.

LV Architect
captain of 50

Post by LV Architect »

buffalo_girl wrote:I'm not sure protesting Harry Reid outside a Stake Center is the only means of losing newly baptized members or investigators.
We shouldn't need celebrities to convince strangers that this is Christ's Church.
BG - I am sorry if I came across as supporting this "fireside". I do believe that it is ill-timed and I understand that it will not happen again. And I, in NO WAY, support HR. All I am suggesting is for some "temperance, patience, kindness..."

Building up Zion is more important than tearing down Babylon. If you truly seek the former, the latter will fall. The tares are still growing together with the wheat. It is not my stewardship to determine who is who. Mine is to insure that my family is among the wheat. The separation will occur naturally by those who will not build up Zion.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

LV architect is the voice of reason here. Listen to him, please. Protesting at the event could cause so much harm to the church. There must be other avenues where one can voice his concern. You can justify doing protesting at this event, but it will still be wrong. This fireside isn't a political speech, this is about faith. So let it be, for heaven's sake. Do you really think this fireside will change anyone's vote? I don't. Far worse damage will occur from protesting than can occur from a talk.

LV Architect
captain of 50

Post by LV Architect »

Raindrop wrote:
LV Architect wrote: We can all argue the wisdom of asking Harry Reid to speak, but please, let us avoid compromising things eternal for things proximate and temporal.
Once things "proximate and temporal" run their course, with Reid, Pelosi et.al. at the wheel, we won't need to be concerned much with things eternal. You see much in the way of church work, temple work or missionary work under marxism? The way the human family is governed in this life means EVERYTHING, my friend.
Absolutely Marxism will prohibit the Church from functioning. The Church as we know it will cease to exist under that oppression. Communism is the counterfeit doctrine to Zion and that is why satan is pushing it so heavily. He wants temples to close and missionaries to be kept home. The course we are on insures that will happen.

My goal is to build up Zion so that I can call down the powers of heaven WHEN the Saints are overcome. Contention is of the devil.

Post by Like »

Wiikwajio wrote: My family stood out front of the meet and greet with signs that said: Gadianton Robbers for Harry Reid enter here.
You just made my day. Thanks.

Do you have pictures?

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I wasn't faulting anyone for inviting celebrities. I guess what I was trying to say is if we are living the Gospel by our works we should be doing all that is necessary to convince others that this is indeed the Lord's Church.

The young boy's conversion to the Gospel is compromised by the seeming indifference of his teachers and leaders. If we can't utilize the Spirit to perceive the needs of fellow life-long members of the Church do we really need more 'mechanical' Mormons following the example of someone like Harry Reid of what it is to be a Latter-day Saint?

Have him speak. Those who come to hear him will be the kind who will join based on his particular example. Why protest? Anyone with any sense wouldn't come in the first place!

2Nephi 28
9 Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.
10 And the blood of the saints shall cry from the ground against them.
11 Yea, they have all gone out of the away; they have become corrupted.
12 Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up.
13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.
14 They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

kathyn wrote:LV architect is the voice of reason here. Listen to him, please. Protesting at the event could cause so much harm to the church. There must be other avenues where one can voice his concern. You can justify doing protesting at this event, but it will still be wrong. This fireside isn't a political speech, this is about faith. So let it be, for heaven's sake. Do you really think this fireside will change anyone's vote? I don't. Far worse damage will occur from protesting than can occur from a talk.
You know, I think it is sad that the best speaker that can be found in Nevada to speak at a fireside is Harry Reid. Was Chad Hardy busy? :shock:

But seriously, if so many members of the church would love to send Mr. Reid to a permanent mission assignment in Tibet, are we just assuming that investigators and recent converts are all left-wing Democrats? Isn't there a greater chance that these people will harbor negative feelings towards this clown and get a bad taste in their mouth in regards to the church?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"We shouldn't need celebrities to convince strangers that this is Christ's Church." But apparently many LDSs in positions of authority believe we do. We see professional entertainers (including pro atheletes and pro musicians who do their things on Sundays) being held up as role models. I consider having Senator Reid as a fireside speaker a very poor decision, and although I woudl not disrupt the fireside, I would let the responsible organizers and their up-line authorities know what I thought.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LV Architect wrote:
Raindrop wrote:
Absolutely Marxism will prohibit the Church from functioning. The Church as we know it will cease to exist under that oppression. Communism is the counterfeit doctrine to Zion and that is why satan is pushing it so heavily. He wants temples to close and missionaries to be kept home. The course we are on insures that will happen.

My goal is to build up Zion so that I can call down the powers of heaven WHEN the Saints are overcome. Contention is of the devil.
Extremely difficult (if not impossible) to build a society based on sound fundamental principles....when the people/leaders aren't willing to take a stand on those principles now!!!

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

LV Architect wrote: My goal is to build up Zion so that I can call down the powers of heaven WHEN the Saints are overcome. Contention is of the devil.
If you won't fight the fight now, what makes you think the Lord will give you the powers of heaven at some hypothetical future time?

If we use the likes of Reid to get people converted to our Church... boy, I feel a cleansing coming on.

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

buffalo_girl wrote:Have him speak. Those who come to hear him will be the kind who will join based on his particular example. Why protest? Anyone with any sense wouldn't come in the first place!

2Nephi 28
9 Yea, and there shall be many which shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.
10 And the blood of the saints shall cry from the ground against them.
11 Yea, they have all gone out of the away; they have become corrupted.
12 Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up.
13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.
14 They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men.
Stop making sense, BG!

I posted in another thread about righting the ark. This is a difficult temptation for those aware & awake to avoid, but we must not take things into our own hands that the Lord has not authorized us to do.

Stay away from the fireside, and if someone asks, tell them why you're not going. We need to be wary of these things, but we should not take matters into our own hands. The Lord said He will take care of things in His own time and in His own way. He knows what's going on, and He will do something about it, and it'll be scary. We need to draw close to Him to avoid being in the line of fire.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Thanks for all of your thoughts; I've enjoyed them.

My two cents:
I don't expect this to be much more than a chance for Reid and the like to bask in their own glory. Reid will most likely say and do all the right things in this context, painting himself as a good church guy who is good and humble, while possibly encouraging a few people to join the church on paper. He'll attract lots of new tares to come and partake of the canned fruit. It is regrettable that new converts will be exposed to the popular false doctrine of "You can be a Mormon and still [some wicked belief]." I expect there to be a mingling in of some scripture, prayers, and truth to conjure up the Spirit, then a nice helping of ego assuaging and justification for sin and rebellion. Nevada is known for its gaming tables, and this sounds like a game of spiritual roulette.

Bottom line:
I don't like the guy's policies, and I don't like his counsel (like he offered at BYU) to reject those "extreme" prophets. However, I understand that our Heavenly Father loves his son Harry and wants him to return to live with Him. So, I hope Harry will be pricked to the center by the Spirit. I hope he will allow the Spirit to penetrate his heart and mind. I hope he (and our whole human family) will repent and forgive others where necessary. Perhaps, placing the salvation of souls (potential converts and new converts) might be the solution to awaken him to a sense of his own wickedness; I would very much like this to be the case, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I have plenty of wickedness to let the Spirit purge from my own life.
Last edited by mattctr on March 25th, 2010, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

I know that on this site quoting an MTC President is classed as apostate but Im going to take the risk. :wink:

Pres. Ed J Pinegar taught the missionaries that you cant give away what you havent got. If you're not living the gospel yourself then that is what you will give to others. The spirit of disobedience and darkness. If you're not converted you will not convert others.

How can anyone speak with any seriousness about a Harry Reid fireside converting anyone? A man who has just allocated millions of dollars to be used in the destruction of the unborn?

Why should the righteous keep their mouths shut while the wicked go about their work?

Im amazed that God doesn't wipe all of us LDS off the face of the planet and start over again. :?