President Grant told church members who to vote for

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

President Grant told church members who to vote for

Post by lundbaek »

From the Quotes on Secret Combinations page:

In recent years the LDS Church has steered clear of supporting candidates. But Pres. Benson said Mormon President Heber J. Grant told church members to vote for Herbert Hoover when Franklin D. Roosevelt was running for his first term...

Rock34
captain of 100

Re: President Grant told church members who to vote for

Post by Rock34 »

So did Ulysses. He had a special interest in local & territory politics of Deseret...

tick
captain of 100

Post by tick »

I have a feeling it was pretty well implied by church leadership to vote for Joseph Smith when he was running for president.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

More than implied, there were missionaries sent out for the purpose of promoting him as a candidate. Watching some Church videos on the reason Joseph Smith gave for running for president makes me think that if ever there was a time for something similar to happen the time is now.

The Prophet said the people needed an alternative they could vote for, since the two parties did not represent the interest and liberty of the people.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Bircher, is that avatar really of you standing in front of what appears to be a subjugated gold fringed US flag in an admiralty court? :shock: RU a lawyer?

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

LOL

I read so much on that flag, that I am not sure what the truth really is. One side says it is decorative and means nothing, the other says that it is defacing and means that we are under Maritime law....

So, true clarification would be nice.

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

I was involved in a press conference @ the capitol re REAL ID

The admiralty stuff is just stupid because it is meaningless in practicality.

tick
captain of 100

Post by tick »

I think lack of practicality doesn't necessarily make something "just stupid". For example the flag itself doesn't offer a whole lot of practicality but it symbolism certainly stands for something.

Many understand the flag to represent the freedoms and rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights and perhaps most of all to be a symbol of individual and personal liberty as set forth in the Declaration of Independence.

Symbolism is definitely a powerful thing IMO, I wouldn't be too quick to discount it. As for the gold fringe thing, I actually don't really know for sure what it is all about...

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

tick wrote:
I think lack of practicality doesn't necessarily make something "just stupid". For example the flag itself doesn't offer a whole lot of practicality but it symbolism certainly stands for something.

Many understand the flag to represent the freedoms and rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights and perhaps most of all to be a symbol of individual and personal liberty as set forth in the Declaration of Independence.

Symbolism is definitely a powerful thing IMO, I wouldn't be too quick to discount it. As for the gold fringe thing, I actually don't really know for sure what it is all about...
amen tick.

if it's meaningless, then why do they do it universally?

Bircher
captain of 100

Post by Bircher »

Because it is meaningless. Virtually no one who places those flags has heard anything about admiralty law, they order them because they think it looks nice.