Is the Republican Party the "Mormon" Party?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.

Do you believe that current Republican policies are in oppostion to the establishment of a Zion society?

Poll ended at November 6th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Yes, Repulican policies will help establish Zion.
No votes
No, Republican policies are part of a secret combination.
100%
I don't know
No votes

Total votes: 7
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is the Republican Party the "Mormon" Party?

Post by Original_Intent »

If we are asking which party Mormons (in the U.S.) tend to vote, then obviously, Republican.

If we are asking which party Mormons (in the U.S.) SHOULD vote for, I think we might as well ask if Jesus was a Pharisee or Saducee.

Yes, one might be somewhat more correct (or somewhat less wrong), but I tend to think that the entire concept of political parties is a terrible one and has caused 99% of the problems. Every vote should be based on principle, not party. Identifying with and supporting a party blindly is the worst kind of mental and spiritual laziness. I don;t have time to look up the quotes right now, but I know at least some of the founders (it seems like George Washington) spoke at great length as to why political parties were a bad idea. And there is no question that whatever they started out as, they have now grown into being two sides of the same coin. So I think that one can certainly work within a party to try to uphold correct principles, but I feel that too many merely identify with and then defend the party line, without weighing the position against a higher standard - much like those who will support a candidate based on their common race, religion, etc.

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

If there were any hard principles in politics left I would agree with you. I am just doing my best to vote for the lesser of two evils. If 20% of us vote for the best candidate, the worst of two evils will win. That is my take.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

SpeedRacerLFF wrote:If there were any hard principles in politics left I would agree with you. I am just doing my best to vote for the lesser of two evils. If 20% of us vote for the best candidate, the worst of two evils will win. That is my take.

Unfortunately, the "best chance to win" candidates are put forth by the establishment. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what you do. Except you'll know that you did the right thing if you voted for principle- and not vote for the lesser of two evils. Read my signature. Of course, your vote may not be counted by man, but it will be counted by God.

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

InfoWarrior82 wrote:
SpeedRacerLFF wrote:If there were any hard principles in politics left I would agree with you. I am just doing my best to vote for the lesser of two evils. If 20% of us vote for the best candidate, the worst of two evils will win. That is my take.

Unfortunately, the "best chance to win" candidates are put forth by the establishment. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what you do. Except you'll know that you did the right thing if you voted for principle- and not vote for the lesser of two evils. Read my signature. Of course, your vote may not be counted by man, but it will be counted by God.
That still comes down to philosophy. You feel by voting for exactly what you want you are doing the most good. I feel that by preventing greater evil I am doing the most good. That is why we have these lovely forums and all the philosophers of old. I do appreciate your POV.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

SpeedRacerLFF wrote:
InfoWarrior82 wrote:

That still comes down to philosophy. You feel by voting for exactly what you want you are doing the most good. I feel that by preventing greater evil I am doing the most good. That is why we have these lovely forums and all the philosophers of old. I do appreciate your POV.
We do have prophetic counsel that spells out that we should not be voting lesser of two evils, I believe. But I understand where you are coming from.

ah here we go.
When I was at Ricks College in 1972, President Harold B. Lee came to talk to us in October, just before that years election. he talked about many things, then he talked about the election, America, etc., and said this: “Before you vote study out the candidates and the issues and make a decision as to who you want to vote for. Then, get down on your knees and pray for a confirmation that your decision is the correct one.” I have done this many times and as I have walked to the polls, actually changed my mind because of inspiration on who I would vote for.

Consider also, if you vote for what is correct principle, is your vote ever wasted? I remember when I was at Ricks College, President of the Student Senate. I was able travel to Salt Lake to meet with Pres. Ezra Taft Benson. …

At this time, as we were talking, President Benson interrupted me and said this: “Mike, if you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right.“
Now this quote is anectdotal. I know there are similar sentiments expressed in more verifiable places. But ultimately, no matter who expressed it, you need to do what you feel inspired to do. Hopefully it is a matter that you will pray about if you haven't already.

Found the following in search of quotes. Not the prophet, but worth ten minutes. http://www.forensicscommunity.com/perfo ... rsuasive-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I am in the vote on principle camp. I base that stand on the following:

D&C 98
6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;
7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.
8 I, the Lord God, make you afree, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
9 Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn.

Constitutional law is justified by God. Anything more or less than constitutional law is evil. AND when the wicked rule the people mourn.

So

I can't support the lesser of two evils because evil is still evil. Winning isn't everything. Sometimes we have to die to seal our testimonies and sometimes we have to lose the election but KNOW that we voted on principle. I do not believe we will be justified in God's eyes for voting for the LESSER evil.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I don't have much to contribute to this discussion, but I would like to express my support of those who put principle above expediency. Truth be known, there is possibly no current prospective presidential candidate who in total compliance with the Lord, but I'm confident I will be able to comfortably support and vote for one in the GOP primary and probably a different one in November, neither of which will stand a prayer's chance in hell of getting elected.

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

The U.S. Republican Party was formed in 1854 with the platform of abolishing the "Twin Relics of Barbarism: Slavery and Polygamy". 150+ years later, a majority of LDS Church members now support the party that was originally formed to destroy the church. Gotta love irony.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Re: Why I posted this question

Post by Seek the Truth »

jonholb55 wrote:There are talk-show hosts like Sean Hannity, who put as much faith in the Republican Party as we should put in God and His prophets, both ancient and modern. I want people to vote this November for the candidates whose positions are most in-line with the Constitution and the Prophets, regardless of party affiliation. Thank-You
How did that work out?

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

mes5464 wrote:I am in the vote on principle camp. I base that stand on the following:

D&C 98
6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;
7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.
8 I, the Lord God, make you afree, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
9 Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn.

Constitutional law is justified by God. Anything more or less than constitutional law is evil. AND when the wicked rule the people mourn.

So

I can't support the lesser of two evils because evil is still evil. Winning isn't everything. Sometimes we have to die to seal our testimonies and sometimes we have to lose the election but KNOW that we voted on principle. I do not believe we will be justified in God's eyes for voting for the LESSER evil.
He who is without sin may cast the first stone.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

wolfman wrote:The U.S. Republican Party was formed in 1854 with the platform of abolishing the "Twin Relics of Barbarism: Slavery and Polygamy". 150+ years later, a majority of LDS Church members now support the party that was originally formed to destroy the church. Gotta love irony.
Ironic, until I consider that the Democratic Party of the time, wasn't any more a friend of the church than the Republican Party was. James Buchanan. Does the name sound familiar? Does Buchanan's Blunder sound familiar too? What I am saying is that neither major political party is pro-Mormon, you always have to choose the best available option, however imperfect it is. Regarding parties, the religious right, who acts in its own paranoia about a "cult" that it vastly outnumbers and encourages similar paranoia against Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, and numerous others, pretty much runs the Republican Party, combined with the fact that the GOP has it's own share of scandalous politicians who approve and did little or nothing to stop unrighteous wars. Then there's the Democrats, who have the atheists, embrace things that are antithetical to our own doctrines, and who figure that by letting them go, the nation will be more free. Then the Democrats hypocritically embrace the same unconstitutional violence and deficit spending that they accuse the right of doing. There can be literally a novel written as to all the anti-church elements running both Major, and some third political parties, but that's a little long for a forum post. The real issue here is that both parties have their share of unwholesomeness to them, and honestly, we simply have to choose the best available candidate, regardless of political affiliation.

TheLion
captain of 100

Post by TheLion »

It's been quite clear to me that the Democrat party favors atheists, and frankly removing as much religion from the land as they possibly can. They are a no go for any honest Christian. Unfortunately, there are far too many one or two issue voters that will vote for Democrats at the expense of their own religion and God.

Now when it comes to Republicans, they are largely as corrupt as Democrats. Just in different areas and are given a free pass from many Christians at the ballot box. It's the lesser of two evils argument. Which leads of course still to evil far too often. I am guilty of voting this way, I won't lie.

After really watching politics over the last 5 years I have come to one conclusion, I would rather vote for good (not the lesser of two evils) and if that means voting 3rd party I will. I will not vote for a Democrat ever again, being the one exception, I have yet to see any Democrat that didn't end up being a stone cold liar. Unfortunately, over the years I voted about 60% Republican and 40% Democrat (at all levels). I have woken up to the Democrat lies and will never cast a vote for any of them again. With Republicans they really have to earn my vote, I am about done with them as well. There are only 3 Republicans I would currently vote for, based off what I know at this point, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. If any of them come up for nomination I will dive in and learn as much as I can about them, if I see signs they are just another wolf in sheep's clothing I will vote 3rd party.

This was a difficult point for me to reach, I hate weeding people out, but at some point I just had to wake up and see the reality for what it is...I see truth in peoples arguments that view the world differently than me. What they consider truth is truth for them based off their experiences. But it doesn't make it the whole truth one way or another. The only whole truth I see is our society running, not walking, away from grace towards the adversary and people are happily voting those into power that are enabling this transition merely over a single issue or something they will get as a benefit personally. May God have mercy on their souls come judgment day.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

TheLion wrote:It's been quite clear to me that the Democrat party favors atheists, and frankly removing as much religion from the land as they possibly can. They are a no go for any honest Christian. Unfortunately, there are far too many one or two issue voters that will vote for Democrats at the expense of their own religion and God.

Now when it comes to Republicans, they are largely as corrupt as Democrats. Just in different areas and are given a free pass from many Christians at the ballot box. It's the lesser of two evils argument. Which leads of course still to evil far too often. I am guilty of voting this way, I won't lie.

After really watching politics over the last 5 years I have come to one conclusion, I would rather vote for good (not the lesser of two evils) and if that means voting 3rd party I will. I will not vote for a Democrat ever again, being the one exception, I have yet to see any Democrat that didn't end up being a stone cold liar. Unfortunately, over the years I voted about 60% Republican and 40% Democrat (at all levels). I have woken up to the Democrat lies and will never cast a vote for any of them again. With Republicans they really have to earn my vote, I am about done with them as well. There are only 3 Republicans I would currently vote for, based off what I know at this point, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. If any of them come up for nomination I will dive in and learn as much as I can about them, if I see signs they are just another wolf in sheep's clothing I will vote 3rd party.

This was a difficult point for me to reach, I hate weeding people out, but at some point I just had to wake up and see the reality for what it is...I see truth in peoples arguments that view the world differently than me. What they consider truth is truth for them based off their experiences. But it doesn't make it the whole truth one way or another. The only whole truth I see is our society running, not walking, away from grace towards the adversary and people are happily voting those into power that are enabling this transition merely over a single issue or something they will get as a benefit personally. May God have mercy on their souls come judgment day.
Lesser of two evils has plenty of relevance. If one were to compare Morianton to King Noah, I would rather go with Morianton. Morianton may have been a notorious adulterer, but at least he wouldn't stand for extreme persecution of the church and would prosecute those who murdered or attacked the prophets and the members of the church among the Jaredites. Again, people, including members of the church that I know, have this narrow-minded idea that somehow the nation will only prosper under a given party or candidate, this is simply only true if you believe that God doesn't have influence in the nations. Even if some people are real jerks at the highest levels of any given nation, the Lord will not allow the nation to be destroyed for the sake of they're actually tolerating the righteous among them. Plenty of the politicians nowadays are jerks, and poor leaders of the nation, but I can hardly ever find one that is as virulently bigoted against the Church as Governor Boggs of Illinois was, where the politician spouts some inane idea that "The Mormons will kill us all unless we kill them all first" kind of diatribe. In fact, it's kind of open to interpretation regarding what politicians are decent leaders. The libertarian side is too extreme and revisionist for some members of the church, so not all church members feel like leaning for it. Republicanism is at least revulsive to some members of the church given the incredible anti-mormon sentiment existing amongst sectarian supporters of the Republican Party, such as Robert Jeffress. Then there's the question of how anyone from Ron Paul, to Rick Santorum is ever supposed to undo abortion from the laws? So plenty of members probably figure on a matter of practicality, the GOP isn't the best idea. Then, as you mentioned with the Democrats, they do take sides with issues that may be contrary to what many of us feel are best for America and for religious freedom, plus they have their own share of both secular and revisionist sectarian individuals within their own ranks that are spewing out the idea that the existence of the Mormon Church violates peoples' rights, their categories for what they consider a threat to freedom is disturbing based on the kind of standard considered. How is a church that comprises a small fraction of the U.S. population (7 million in the U.S. out of 300 million, this church also is a minute fraction of the population in an overwhelming majority of the United States, how is it supposed to be a totalitarian threat to your freedom, why not consider Catholics, Muslims and Orthodox Judaism a threat, especially given that they share comparable to your views, unorthodox and undemocratic beliefs? How is said church supposed to be a threat when they aren't even politically uniform in voting blocs, and the sectarian right hates them just about as much as you do? There's nothing rational about this idea. It's pretty much logically inconsistent, but then again, since when is political correctness ever logically sound in the first place? There's also the fact that plenty of church members don't like voting based on abortion beliefs. I myself am a registered Democrat, but your registry never dictates what party you vote for. Frankly, I have a hard time voting for most of the Democrats I know right now, because just about none of the ones I have a vote for locally or federally. Plenty of Democrat supporters in my local area don't like members of the church for the reasons I just mentioned, and plenty on the right the same. It's really a question of which politician will actually properly care about key issues like the national debt, and be less radically against the Church.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Is Obama's health bill being used the same as those ribbons, or support the troops, were used to get GB back into office. I see the rep.'s touting their no vote as a way to get reelected. So we don't throw out all those bums. Dem and Rino Rep.