Oktoberfest 2013 - here on LDSFF

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Re: Oktoberfest 2013 - here on LDSFF

Post by Jeremy »

Gad wrote:I'll join in. Can't guarantee what exactly I'll be drinking though. ;)
"Can't" or "wont"? :)

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

I like what Jeremy pointed out about D&C 89. What are these hidden treasures? What are these blessings? Are we receiving these blessings?

I see this section as more of a personal thing. I pray about what I should be doing. I eat and drink and if something doesn't make me feel well I leave it alone. I don't eat hot dogs, ribs, steak, hamburgers etc. unless I get invited to someone's house to eat or if that is what is served at a ward function. I have felt my frequency increase with following this counsel.

One of my favorite scriptures is: "John7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."- Jesus

I cannot attest to the mild barley drinks. I have not done. I do not know for myself. If I smell alcoholic drinks I generally dry heave when I do. Same thing with walking past a rotten trash cans or getting smoked on it has the same effect. I guess I have a weak stomach and too strong sense of smell! :))

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

D&C 49: 18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;

19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.
Some scientist are now saying, that many modern diseases are from a lack of meat in the diet, especially organ meat.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Sheol27 wrote:If I smell alcoholic drinks I generally dry heave when I do. Same thing with walking past a rotten trash cans or getting smoked on it has the same effect. I guess I have a weak stomach and too strong sense of smell! :))
Well, fermented foods in actuality are rotting foods - food that has "gone bad." Humans have just discovered some kinds that don't kill people outright: cheeses, wines, other alcoholic drinks, yeast drinks (old fashioned root beer), apple cider, partially formed chicken embryos, sauerkraut, etc.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

Thought I would throw out some food ideas for our celebration:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Smoked-Sau ... toberfest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.germanfoods.org/consumer/rec ... osalad.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.germanfoods.org/consumer/rec ... ncakes.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't forget the sauerkraut...Klausen makes awesome sauerkraut. You can find it in a glass jar in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. I like to make carmelized sliced onions and home-made sliced, cooked apples (with a little brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon), and mix them in with the sauerkraut (all heated together).

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

A Random Phrase wrote:
Sheol27 wrote:If I smell alcoholic drinks I generally dry heave when I do. Same thing with walking past a rotten trash cans or getting smoked on it has the same effect. I guess I have a weak stomach and too strong sense of smell! :))
Well, fermented foods in actuality are rotting foods - food that has "gone bad." Humans have just discovered some kinds that don't kill people outright: cheeses, wines, other alcoholic drinks, yeast drinks (old fashioned root beer), apple cider, partially formed chicken embryos, sauerkraut, etc.
...thank you??? :-\

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A Random Phrase wrote:
Well, if you want to get technical all food is rotting, you just slow down that process by refrigerating, canning, or dehydrating it; or you control the decay by fermenting it. :-B

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

SmallFarm wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:
Well, if you want to get technical all food is rotting, you just slow down that process by refrigerating, canning, or dehydrating it; or you control the decay by fermenting it. :-B
I have heard many foods are actually poisonous; but our digestiive tract adds enzymes which neutralize the poison. ???

Yummm, this discussion is wetting my appetite!

swiftbrook
captain of 100

Post by swiftbrook »

Apparently if your meal consists of 51% or more of dead, cooked foods, then your body believes it is being poisoned. Health nuts say to make sure most of your meal is raw plant-based - fruits, veggies, herbs, nuts, seeds.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

True, SmallFarm.

Swiftbrook, I've researched raw foods diets and living food diets. They make sense to me.

Okay, you guys, here's my personal belief about fermented foods. Some are definitely rotten (wine smells that way to me - I've never tasted it though, beer is one I'd put in the inedible rotten category, putrified chick embryo does not whet my appetite either). Others seem to have health benefits (yogurt, raw milk that goes naturally "sour" seems pretty good - pasteurized milk just goes rotten, kefir, kombucha, fermented veggies ala "Body Ecology Diet") and I have eaten them.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Bump - Reminder - Just a little over 3 weeks away.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

ajax wrote:Bump - Reminder - Just a little over 3 weeks away.
Well, I'm not planning to go to priesthood meeting - they probably wouldn't let me in :)) Still, I might join you guys with a root beer. The other is too nasty, imo, plus I keep the current view of the wow.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

ajax wrote:Bump - Reminder - Just a little over 3 weeks away.
Thank you, Ajax. Please keep bumping.

swiftbrook
captain of 100

Post by swiftbrook »

For the first time in a long time I'm excited for Conference. I hope they say some interesting stuff (even interesting to me would be loud proclamations to "not read any un-correlated material!") I'm wondering how far they will take their "follow the brethren" speeches this time around.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

swiftbrook wrote:For the first time in a long time I'm excited for Conference. I hope they say some interesting stuff (even interesting to me would be loud proclamations to "not read any un-correlated material!") I'm wondering how far they will take their "follow the brethren" speeches this time around.
Oh, I thought you were excited about Oktoberfest.

Yeah, I guess the talks could be interesting as well.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

2 week reminder

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Post by AGStacker »

Meat eaters, in the wild, have shorter intestines. The meat travels less whereas humans have longer intestines so the meat travels longer. This allows the meat to begin rotting. Not very good on the human body.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Where are you all meeting? I think I missed the where on this thread. I might be able to drive down there. I don't care for the drinks, but I would love to meet everyone!

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

coachmarc wrote:Where are you all meeting? I think I missed the where on this thread. I might be able to drive down there. I don't care for the drinks, but I would love to meet everyone!
I think we're meeting in spirit.... :-\

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

oh...when ajax said here, he meant on this message board. Never mind. :P

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

coachmarc wrote:Where are you all meeting? I think I missed the where on this thread. I might be able to drive down there. I don't care for the drinks, but I would love to meet everyone!
Coach, I live just outside of Austin TX. It could be a bit of a haul, but you are certainly welcome to try.

OR

You could just log on an hour after priesthood session with a water or your favorite soda, lift your aluminum can or plastic up and say "Cheers"

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

protein shake for me. :D

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

ajax wrote:
swiftbrook wrote:For the first time in a long time I'm excited for Conference. I hope they say some interesting stuff (even interesting to me would be loud proclamations to "not read any un-correlated material!") I'm wondering how far they will take their "follow the brethren" speeches this time around.

With a little birch or apple beer, I would be more than excited to join. German blood in ya?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Benjamin_LK wrote:
ajax wrote:

With a little birch or apple beer, I would be more than excited to join. German blood in ya?
Dutch and Danish. A little bit of English.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Is AGStacker gonna be in on this??