Study Group in Lehi

Post calls to action or information about events, meetings, or lectures that are liberty and/or gospel related.
deep water
captain of 1,000

Re: Study Group in Lehi

Post by deep water »

Reading the class study by Hugh Nibely might do us all good. The name is (How to survive the calamities of the last days) and you can find it under greater things. In the subject "revelation" by Original Intent. Its well worth the read!!! Being mad, upset, or sarcastic will never help your case before God. The devil controls that end of the field. Good luck-- GOD bless.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

Seems to me a "study group" fits into the Lords council:

Therefore, verily I say unto you, my friends, call your solemn assembly, as I have commanded you.
118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.
119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:117 - 119)

Don't you think a "study group" would fit into a "solemn assembly" or a "house of prayer" or a "house of faith" or a "house of learning" or a "house of order"...?

We can't go wrong following this council!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

natasha wrote:
Called to Serve wrote:You did catch that it was sarcastic, but I think you missed the overall point. There is something seriously messed up when "leaders" are warning you against activities which encourage you to think.

Loving "warnings" indeed. They should be warning us not to take their word for anything instead.
Called to Serve: I think the scriptures are full of "warnings" and suggestions. I'm sorry that this talk has irritated you in some way. I think it's fine to give and receive counsel and use it when it applies to you in various life situations. I don't recall our leaders EVER saying we shouldn't think.
There's whole threads on that subject, and I don't care to get started on it. If you want quote for the leaders telling us not to think, just stick around for a while. I'm sure another one will surface soon.

Please note that I was not decrying the fact that leaders ought to be giving warnings. It's the type of warnings they are giving that is concerning. Humble servants of God always tell you to think about their words and pray about them. They tell you to disregard them if they don't seem right. They aren't afraid of study groups where people might disaffect. They trust the Lord and put that sort of thing in the Lord's hands.

True servants of the Lord are willing to stand alone. They are willing to send out a message that offends every single person on the earth. They aren't worried about retention or numbers. They know that true disciples of the Lord will listen to their words and they are content with that. That our church leaders are concerned about people getting together and discussing ideas is very telling.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

I don't think the Church is telling us not to get together and share ideas, etc. What I think they are doing is counseling us based on some activities in the past that have created problems for people. If they are aware of such problems and don't give us counsel on what they have learned or seen, then they are derelict in their duty to "warn".....kind of similar to the warnings and counsel parents give their children. I have always pretty much thought for myself so it is difficult for me to completely understand where you are coming from.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I was "mad, upset, and sarcastic" when I heard that Salt Lake had disallowed any RS study groups of any sort. I was personally offended that it implied that we women could not be trusted to have the Spirit in our study groups. However, I kept my mouth shut, as one just does NOT go against TPTB in the great SL COB. This attitude of mine DID NOT give Satan any foothold in my heart and life however. To the contrary, this was the start of a beautiful process of my being taught by the Lord, through my own personal study.

keep the faith
captain of 100

Post by keep the faith »

Called to Serve wrote:
natasha wrote:
Called to Serve wrote:You did catch that it was sarcastic, but I think you missed the overall point. There is something seriously messed up when "leaders" are warning you against activities which encourage you to think.

Loving "warnings" indeed. They should be warning us not to take their word for anything instead.
Called to Serve: I think the scriptures are full of "warnings" and suggestions. I'm sorry that this talk has irritated you in some way. I think it's fine to give and receive counsel and use it when it applies to you in various life situations. I don't recall our leaders EVER saying we shouldn't think.
There's whole threads on that subject, and I don't care to get started on it. If you want quote for the leaders telling us not to think, just stick around for a while. I'm sure another one will surface soon.

Please note that I was not decrying the fact that leaders ought to be giving warnings. It's the type of warnings they are giving that is concerning. Humble servants of God always tell you to think about their words and pray about them. They tell you to disregard them if they don't seem right. They aren't afraid of study groups where people might disaffect. They trust the Lord and put that sort of thing in the Lord's hands.

True servants of the Lord are willing to stand alone. They are willing to send out a message that offends every single person on the earth. They aren't worried about retention or numbers. They know that true disciples of the Lord will listen to their words and they are content with that. That our church leaders are concerned about people getting together and discussing ideas is very telling.

You are completely disregarding a primary responsibility given to the Priesthood leadership to protect the flock against grievous wolves entering in and scattering them. This has scriptural precedent and it is a vital role given those who preside in the kingdom. Paul warned about it in his time and that warning continues to our day. I know many that come from broken families who wish that their loved ones had heeded the warning given by Priesthood leaders not to get involved in study groups like those the First Presidency warned against as stated earlier in this thread. Just go ask some who have lost loved ones to offshoot groups like the one I mentioned earlier out of Sanpete County Utah what they think of these "enlightening" study groups.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Exactly! Our leaders have great responsibilities attached to operating within the Priesthood. I am grateful for every warning and counsel I have heard from them. I, too, have seen people lose their way by initially starting in what appeared to be a group with innocent intentions. It's true that there are some who would/could recognize a time to leave, but there are also those people who have not developed a good foundation yet that would keep them from taking off in another direction. No one is telling anyone that they should not participate....just passing on counsel that was given.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

If I were in the area, I'd attend your study group. Alas, I'm many many miles away.
I've learned that I can trust God to guide my education in His Gospel. I allow others the same experience. The alternative is electing to stay in the foothills rather than climbing the mountain to commune with Him.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I've thought about making it a skype study group since so many have said they won't participate because of being too far away. Anyone interested in that?

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Yes, and if participants wanted to "dump" somethings they have ingested, they could go to a virtual repository where its always clean.

Jake
Videre faciem Dei

Post by Jake »

keep the faith wrote:You are completely disregarding a primary responsibility given to the Priesthood leadership to protect the flock against grievous wolves entering in and scattering them. This has scriptural precedent and it is a vital role given those who preside in the kingdom. Paul warned about it in his time and that warning continues to our day. I know many that come from broken families who wish that their loved ones had heeded the warning given by Priesthood leaders not to get involved in study groups like those the First Presidency warned against as stated earlier in this thread. Just go ask some who have lost loved ones to offshoot groups like the one I mentioned earlier out of Sanpete County Utah what they think of these "enlightening" study groups.
If priesthood leaders want to help members avoid deception and apostasy, it would be far more effective to preach repentance and the "getting of the holy ghost" than it is to tell members to avoid studying the scriptures with family, friends, and neighbors. If one has the Holy Ghost within themselves and they listen to it, they will not be deceived. They will also " have the scriptures laid open to [their] understandings." This idea that we should just look to other men to tell us what to think is a far cry from Joseph Smith stating that we should be taught principles and then think for ourselves. The principle we need to learn is repentance and cleansing by the power of the Holy Ghost. It would solve pretty much all of our problems.

jo1952
captain of 1,000

Post by jo1952 »

keep the faith wrote:
You are completely disregarding a primary responsibility given to the Priesthood leadership to protect the flock against grievous wolves entering in and scattering them. This has scriptural precedent and it is a vital role given those who preside in the kingdom. Paul warned about it in his time and that warning continues to our day. I know many that come from broken families who wish that their loved ones had heeded the warning given by Priesthood leaders not to get involved in study groups like those the First Presidency warned against as stated earlier in this thread. Just go ask some who have lost loved ones to offshoot groups like the one I mentioned earlier out of Sanpete County Utah what they think of these "enlightening" study groups.
We were not protected from our own prophets when those prophets were teaching us false doctrine; even though this is not to be construed as leading us astray...since it is not possible for our prophets to lead us astray. If it was not wolves teaching us false doctrine, then what exactly was going on? Why didn't their priesthood power and authority protect us? What protects us from them when they serve mammon instead of God?

Jesus was pretty clear in teaching us that we can become the wolves/false teachers and false prophets from time to time; depending upon what master we happen to be serving through the choices we make. See how Jesus even resorted to calling Peter satan. Also, see how Peter denied Jesus three times. Peter's straying was called out; he repented...and he continued in his calling.

Joseph encouraged us to seek for truth everywhere; but the Church wants us to use correlated and pre-approved sources. Now, who can correlate what the Holy Spirit is revealing to each of us? Who can correlate truth? Truth NEVER ends!!!

The Church wants to micro-manage us because she jealously guards her pridefilled power and control over us; though she will contend that we still have our free agency. What this really looks like, though, is that as long as our free agency still gives glory to our leaders and to the Church, we are allowed to stay and be saved. If we use our free agency to take away her glory by questioning her (the same way Jesus questioned His religious leaders) and trying to make HER accountable, then we are thrown out; and the gates of heaven are soundly slammed shut behind us. Charity, which is never supposed to end, ends.

When did the laity become accountable to the leaders only, and they became no longer accountable to us? Who is the servant? And we are paying them to treat us this way; all while they teach as doctrine the commandments of men (such as God will not allow them to lead us astray; which is a lie. Such a doctrine teaches that they have no free agency, and also denies that our prophets HAVE led us astray through the teaching of false doctrine wherein they also were false prophets).

I wonder if we will we be receiving more restrictive rules for FHE, as it is an opportunity for studying in a private group?

keep the faith
captain of 100

Post by keep the faith »

jo1952 wrote:
keep the faith wrote:
We were not protected from our own prophets when those prophets were teaching us false doctrine; even though this is not to be construed as leading us astray...since it is not possible for our prophets to lead us astray. If it was not wolves teaching us false doctrine, then what exactly was going on? Why didn't their priesthood power and authority protect us? What protects us from them when they serve mammon instead of God?

Jesus was pretty clear in teaching us that we can become the wolves/false teachers and false prophets from time to time; depending upon what master we happen to be serving through the choices we make. See how Jesus even resorted to calling Peter satan. Also, see how Peter denied Jesus three times. Peter's straying was called out; he repented...and he continued in his calling.

Joseph encouraged us to seek for truth everywhere; but the Church wants us to use correlated and pre-approved sources. Now, who can correlate what the Holy Spirit is revealing to each of us? Who can correlate truth? Truth NEVER ends!!!

The Church wants to micro-manage us because she jealously guards her pridefilled power and control over us; though she will contend that we still have our free agency. What this really looks like, though, is that as long as our free agency still gives glory to our leaders and to the Church, we are allowed to stay and be saved. If we use our free agency to take away her glory by questioning her (the same way Jesus questioned His religious leaders) and trying to make HER accountable, then we are thrown out; and the gates of heaven are soundly slammed shut behind us. Charity, which is never supposed to end, ends.

When did the laity become accountable to the leaders only, and they became no longer accountable to us? Who is the servant? And we are paying them to treat us this way; all while they teach as doctrine the commandments of men (such as God will not allow them to lead us astray; which is a lie. Such a doctrine teaches that they have no free agency, and also denies that our prophets HAVE led us astray through the teaching of false doctrine wherein they also were false prophets).

I wonder if we will we be receiving more restrictive rules for FHE, as it is an opportunity for studying in a private group?

I am not going to continue responding to your incessant attacks aimed at the church and its leadership. It is just getting old. Everyone with eyes to see know where you stand when it comes to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You obviously have an axe to grind against the organization and your accusations will continue ad nauseum. I sincerely hope that your heart can be relieved from this animosity you have developed against the church and the Brethren.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

So we can invite non-member friends to our house to study the gospel because it might lead to conversions, but we can't invite member friends to our house to study the gospel because it might lead to apostasy?

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

ajax wrote:So we can invite non-member friends to our house to study the gospel because it might lead to conversions, but we can't invite member friends to our house to study the gospel because it might lead to apostasy?
Correct. We don't want anyone to get deceived now would we.

mike
Hi, I'm new.

Post by mike »

Does this group still meet?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Hi Mike, no sorry, this group never even got started. No one ever showed up. But if you are interested in meeting, I would be willing to give it another try.