Trump's Opening Act: A Trillion Dollars of Infrastructure Spending

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Trump's Opening Act: A Trillion Dollars of Infrastructure Spending

Post by ajax »

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... rs-of.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The deficit is likely to soar all the way to Pluto under Donald Trump.

In his opening speech as president-elect of the United States, Trump again referenced his plan for spurring $1 trillion in infrastructure investments, notes Patrick Reis.

Trump has promised to “get a fund,” “make a phenomenal deal with the low interest rates” and “do infrastructure bonds for the country.”

He thinks he will "pay" for it because of the "increased activity" of this central planning activity.

Total Keynesian madness.

...not to mention his planned defense spending buildup.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Trump's Opening Act: A Trillion Dollars of Infrastructure Spending

Post by rewcox »

Toys for boys.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

At least now, with a Republican president, the country will once again remember that massive deficit spending is a huge problem.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ajax wrote:http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... rs-of.html

In his opening speech as president-elect of the United States, Trump again referenced his plan for spurring $1 trillion in infrastructure investments, notes Patrick Reis.

Trump has promised to “get a fund,” “make a phenomenal deal with the low interest rates” and “do infrastructure bonds for the country.”

He thinks he will "pay" for it because of the "increased activity" of this central planning activity.

Total Keynesian madness.

Not madness at all.
Sensible policy to get the economy moving.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Robin Hood wrote:
ajax wrote:http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... rs-of.html

Total Keynesian madness.

Not madness at all.
Sensible policy to get the economy moving.
It's not sensible. I recommend you start here:
https://admin.fee.org/files/doclib/2012 ... lesson.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ajax on November 9th, 2016, 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Guess where the $1 trillion is going to come from? Yup, the 'Fed' - they'll just punch in a few keystrokes on their computer screen and voila, the U.S. Treasury has a cool trill. But guess what this does to the value of the dollar? Yup...

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Tell the guys building their 8th floor of underground tunnels to give us our infrastructure money back. Meanwhile clean out the satanic rats with trap doors to the schools and churches. There the stolen money will be. Anyone willing to donate 10,000 dollars so I can begin my investigation? I have enough ritual abuse memories I know where to start looking, but I am not looking to get myself killed. I have a family.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Your forgetting all the money made by those who work for the government by the jobs created to spend that trillion

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

The simple fact of the matter is that our infrastructure is in bad shape. You either have to spend the money to fix it or continue to watch it decay.

As Ezra pointed out, that money will create jobs, and those jobs will grow the economy which will result in extra revenue for the government.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

markharr wrote: The simple fact of the matter is that our infrastructure is in bad shape. You either have to spend the money to fix it or continue to watch it decay. .
No it's not:
Stop Bleating About Crumbling Infrastructure
http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/s ... structure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markharr wrote:As Ezra pointed out, that money will create jobs, and those jobs will grow the economy which will result in extra revenue for the government.
I recommend you and Ezra start here:
https://admin.fee.org/files/doclib/2012 ... lesson.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

ajax wrote: I recommend you and Ezra start here:
A healthy infrastructure is necessary for a healthy economy. Airports, rail, Roads, and bridges are required to move goods around the country. A power grid is required to power business.

How do you propose that we fix our decaying infrastructure?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

First of all, it's not decaying (read the link)

Second, you have it backwards. A healthy infrastructure does not precede a healthy economy. That is not how first world nations rose. You need the foundations of freedom, markets, property rights, rule of law etc. Appropriate infrastructure emerges from this. We didn't have great roads, railroads, airports, bridges etc first and then decide to do the freedom experiment. These came about as a result of prior production and capital accumulation built on the foundations I laid out. People tend to naturally solve these problems as they arise. Central planners of course hate this and they tend to go for unnecessary "bridges to nowhere" type projects.

Sir John Cowperthwaite, the man behind Hong Kong's rise from a backwater to leading city, rejected the idea that governments job was to build for private business. "He opposed giving special benefits to business; when a group of businessmen asked him to fund a tunnel across Hong Kong harbour, he argued that if it made economic sense, the private sector would pay for it (as indeed it did)." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/f ... ainsection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The do-gooders of the world try to build poor countries infrastructure while ignoring the foundations. Doesn't work. See the documentary Poverty, Inc. or listen to this podcast: http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-644-how- ... rlds-poor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

Amen, Ajax.

Fascinating that people come to a Freedom Forum to promote taking money by FORCE to build infrastructure.

Or do you all believe that money grows on trees?

If infrastructure creates jobs, why not build everything one needs to run a business - buildings, etc? Man, think of how rich we'll be if we send in all our money to build more infrastructure!!!!

I mean, if you send in $1,000 to government and pay the bureaucrats and thieves and end up with $200 left for infrastructure, we'll get rich, right?

Brilliant scam! The notion most people have that money government spends never came from us, and cannot hurt us in any way, and the more they take from us, the richer we'll get! Wow! Hey, how come when I tell people to give me $1000 to spend for them and make them richer, they don't believe me?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

It's unfortunate that so many believe they support freedom yet in reality they promote the opposite.

Definitely have to agree with Ajax (the liberty stance) here.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote:First of all, it's not decaying (read the link)

Second, you have it backwards. A healthy infrastructure does not precede a healthy economy. That is not how first world nations rose. You need the foundations of freedom, markets, property rights, rule of law etc. Appropriate infrastructure emerges from this. We didn't have great roads, railroads, airports, bridges etc first and then decide to do the freedom experiment. These came about as a result of prior production and capital accumulation built on the foundations I laid out. People tend to naturally solve these problems as they arise. Central planners of course hate this and they tend to go for unnecessary "bridges to nowhere" type projects.

Sir John Cowperthwaite, the man behind Hong Kong's rise from a backwater to leading city, rejected the idea that governments job was to build for private business. "He opposed giving special benefits to business; when a group of businessmen asked him to fund a tunnel across Hong Kong harbour, he argued that if it made economic sense, the private sector would pay for it (as indeed it did)." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/f ... ainsection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The do-gooders of the world try to build poor countries infrastructure while ignoring the foundations. Doesn't work. See the documentary Poverty, Inc. or listen to this podcast: http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-644-how- ... rlds-poor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great comments. Hey, just noticed that you're in Texas, as am I. This is a big state. If only we were next door neighbors.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

markharr wrote:The simple fact of the matter is that our infrastructure is in bad shape. You either have to spend the money to fix it or continue to watch it decay.

As Ezra pointed out, that money will create jobs, and those jobs will grow the economy which will result in extra revenue for the government.

My comment was pure sarcasm filled with distaste.

The more people that work for the government. The more people depend on the government. you have more people voting for who will give them a raise. Not much difference then welfare.

People who work for the government put on blinders to its corruption. Or just don't care as long as they make more money and have better benefits.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Ezra wrote:
markharr wrote:The simple fact of the matter is that our infrastructure is in bad shape. You either have to spend the money to fix it or continue to watch it decay.

The more people that work for the government. The more people depend on the government. you have more people voting for who will give them a raise. Not much difference then welfare.

People who work for the government put on blinders to its corruption. Or just don't care as long as they make more money and have better benefits.
But the government won't build the infrastructure, they'll pay private businesses to do it.
So no additional government employees.
This will stimulate the economy and is a very wise thing to do.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Robin Hood wrote:
Ezra wrote:

But the government won't build the infrastructure, they'll pay private businesses to do it.
Bubbles break. Just like the housing bubble did in 2007. It's a fake stimulation.
Plus it would only benefit some of the people the rest would pay for it by their dollars being worth less.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Ezra wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Ezra wrote:

Bubbles break. Just like the housing bubble did in 2007. It's a fake stimulation.
Plus it would only benefit some of the people the rest would pay for it by their dollars being worth less.
I agree if it is done in isolation.
But if the stimulus assists businesses to gear up so they can also take advantage of export opportunities, that brings wealth into the country, which in turn provides a further stimulus and so on.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

If they gave that 1 trillion directly to the people of the USA we would all have 6$ more to our names.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote:Hey, just noticed that you're in Texas, as am I. This is a big state. If only we were next door neighbors.
We probably already are. It's just that neighbors in TX are hundreds of miles apart.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote:
Silver wrote:Hey, just noticed that you're in Texas, as am I. This is a big state. If only we were next door neighbors.
We probably already are. It's just that neighbors in TX are hundreds of miles apart.
San Antonio