Food Storage Recipes

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Michelle
captain of 1,000

Food Storage Recipes

Post by Michelle »

So I've been thinking. I would like to start a thread with food storage recipes.

I am hoping we can find an easy way to identify what kind of recipes.

If we all make the name our subject and then label our recipe first we'll have a better way to sort them.

The labels should be pretty self explanatory, some examples:

Long Term Plus Garden (LTPG)= use your long term storage plus food you grown on your own property

Long Term Only (LTO) = recipes you can practice now, but use only long term storage items, no grocery store, no garden, no items with short shelf lives or refrigeration.

Rotation Recipe (RR)= you are just using your food storage for everyday, there is a grocery store available

Homestead Recipes (HR)= if you had your own homestead you can make these items, homestead items might include fresh milk and eggs from your cows or chickens

Meals Without Names (MWN) = Foods you love to eat together, but they don't have recognizable names. For example, we love to eat mashed potatoes, broccoli,cooked carrots and sauteed yellow squash together. I'm not sure why, but it just
tastes awesome and some of my family mixes it on their plates, others just eat each item separately.

Feel free to create new labels, but be prepared to explain them the first few times you use them, or if anybody asks.

My next post will be an example to start us off, and one of my favorite recipes.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Beans and Rice with Veggies

Post by Michelle »

LTPG (Long Term Plus Garden)

Beans and Rice with Veggies

3 cups water
2 cups Jasmine rice (or preferred rice)
2 Tbs. butter (optional)
2 tsp. salt (optional)
2 cans red beans rinsed and drained or 3-4 cups cooked red beans
1/2 zucchini, quartered and sliced
1/4 orange pepper roughly chopped
1/4 red pepper roughly chopped
1/4 yellow pepper roughly chopped
1/4 onion roughly chopped
chopped cilantro

In a large pot boil water. (Butter and salt optional)
Stir in Jasmine rice, cover and turn to low for 15 minutes.
Add cooked beans, heat until beans are warmed through

In a separate pan sautee zucchini, peppers, and onion either with water, butter or oil as available.

Serve rice topped with veggies and cilantro.

I like this recipe because it tastes delicious, my whole family loves it, and it is easily adaptable. Any item I don't have I can skip, all the way down to just plain beans and rice. I can mix and match with other vegetables in season.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Any Gravy

Post by Michelle »

Any Gravy can literally be made with 3-4 items:

Fat, thickener, liquid and if needed an additional flavor.

Examples:
Peanut Butter Gravy
Peanut Butter
Flour
Milk
Salt and Pepper (optional)

Hamburger Gravy
Hamburger (not too lean)
Flour
Milk

Chicken Gravy
Chicken Drippings or Fat
Flour
Water
Other seasonings like Sage (optional)

Just mix the fat and thickener in a pan and simmer. Add liquid to create gravy. Continue to simmer to desired consistency. Gravys can be had on vegetables, bread, rice, potatoes, almost anything to dress it up and give variety.

I like this recipe because the combination are literally endless. It would give variety to survival meals.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Food Storage Recipes

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Recently I discovered spring rolls sold at the checkout counters, they come five to a pack with a cup of dipping sauce. Weirdly the ingredients to the dipping sauce are labeled on the pack and even more weirdly it contains peanut butter. :ymapplause:

They're a local concoction wrapped in transparent rice paper. They're placed on the store counter and sold warm. The vegetables taste better chilled, but the rice paper turns white and tough when it gets cold. Latest experiment was to chill them then hold one in your hand to warm the wrapper while the veggies remain cold. Works pretty good, but wish to try a spirilator on carrots and other fillers then wrap in lettuce like the ones in the Korean reastaraunts. Anyone have a spiralator?