Church moves away from Emergency Preparedness?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Tree
captain of 100

Re: Church moves away from Emergency Preparedness?

Post by Tree »

The Church is over burdened by the financial needs of many members. For what ever reasons life/bad personal decisions has placed them so they cannot keep up the pace of the financial world. Better Employment & managing money would be a great enhancement.
The Church has realized that this burden cannot be on the Church itself but the individual person. When the time comes the Church as a whole will not be able to handle the over whelming physical needs of the people, so breaking the problem down to individual responsibility makes sense.
It is a good change of focus, especially since bad tribulations are far off as well as the Second Coming.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I guess you just have to pray about it. There are a lot of people who have had recent things they call dreams about using their food storage. So the question is if they received that as an answer to prayer or were smoking weed the night before? I guess you still have to confirm it with the spirit on your own.

I haven't seen any letters from the pulpit recently on food storage and emergency preparation being done away with.

The self sufficiency thing you can see is inspired. It answers the what will happen if I'm laid off and how would I rebuild after I start using the food storage. I think people see also that these big greedy companies don't want to employ the full population. They want to save a few elites that they consider their slaves and cut away the chaff. That leaves a lot of people they think are chaff. If you don't believe this then why do you never see businesses employing handicapped people?

Also having to do more doesn't mean the church is trying to get you to do more, its the adversary pushing harder and the church is just trying to help you survive a fallen world. But so many people come back to this idea that the Church is asking them to do this...as if the problems are the church's fault...

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

The very mindset of self-sufficiency is what cultivates survivability within a confident people.

Those who have gone through the exercise of planning, purchasing, storing, rotating (and occasionally eating) food storage and other essentials are better equipped to weather storms and hard times, even if their material goods are wiped out!

A certain level of confidence becomes a part of their personalities, and these people are more likely to pull themselves up by their boot straps than wait around helplessly in a shelter...

If my house burned to the ground tomorrow, or was lost in a Katrina flood, or Hurricane Andrew, or by a whirlwind, even though I would have lost all my preps, I would still be miles ahead of my neighbor who never gave a thought to self sufficiency and self-reliance.

If a 7.0 struck Las Vegas today, everyone in my family knows to isolate the water heater, and fill as many pots and pans with water as possible, turn off the gas valve, and hit the main breakers to cut the power; (and set up a neighborhood fire watch). Plus they know where our rally point is, and to stay put instead of going out in fruitless search of family members away from home.

For all the speculation on this site regarding whether the Church is toning-down emergency preparedness and pumping up financial security instead, I hope you're not following the optimistic national economy into boosting personal wealth by any and all means.

To me it doesn't matter when a prophet said we should do something, the context is not important, the current affairs of our cities, states nation and the world have little bearing when a prophet encourages us to do something.

Just do it, be happy you're obedient, and reap the blessing if hard times ever come your way.