Canning Advice for Beef and Chicken

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Canning Advice for Beef and Chicken

Post by brianj »

Hi all,
I am going to have to move in the next couple of weeks. I have a bunch of frozen raw chicken and ground beef, plus two flank steaks. Since my budget is tight I would rather not give it away, but canning jars and a pressure cooker provide an alternative.

If those of you who have canned meats have any advice, please pass it along. And thanks in advance!

scottja
captain of 100

Re: Canning Advice for Beef and Chicken

Post by scottja »

I've canned chicken, and ground beef, beef chunks. Works well for storage when we get good deals on meat.
I like raw-pack because of the ease of the process.
Cube up the meat, pack it in the canning jars, I like wide mouth pint jars - about the right size to prepare a meal.
used to add salt - not any more as I can add salt later.
you may want to add water or broth to 1 inch from the top - but this is optional.
I can't remember exact times and pressures, but check the Ball Canning Website.
Canning does cook the meat, but doesn't brown it, so when you are ready to use it, you can brown it then.

I mostly can, not to save money, but to keep the skill I learned from my mother, and teach it to my kids.

Cubing the meat is easier if it is slightly frozen, or slightly cooked. I boil a pot of water, and drop the meat into it, for a few minutes just to firm it up for slicing. then use the water to top off the jars.
hamburger I just raw pack, it turns into a round meat loaf. I wouldn't add spices, as the long cooking time can change the flavors. you can always add spices when you prepare the meal.

Clean Jars, pre heat the lids and rings in boiling water.
after packing the jars, thoroughly clean the sealing surface of the jar - no oil or fat.
Place on jar hot lid and ring, then place into pressure canner, and process for time and pressure
Then let cool - takes a long long time - don't vent the canner early, as the jars will boil over and oil will get between the lid rubber and glass - causing a failure.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Re: Canning Advice for Beef and Chicken

Post by paulrobots »

My wife introduced me to canned meat when we were married. I thought it was weird, the only things my family ate canned were peaches and apple butter, and they were given as gifts. Canning meat is now an integral part of keeping the family fed and being able to prepare a meal quicker.

We can turkey around thanksgiving time when they go on sale. Instead of raw pack, we cook the bird in the pressure canner, I think it is 3 or 4 minutes per lb. at 5psi, but don't quote me. The meat can then be pulled off the bone with a lot less effort than cutting it up raw. Throw everything that didn't go into the jars back in the canner and boil to get your broth for topping the jars. We usually raw pack boneless chicken breast, but I would do a whole chicken just like the turkey.

I like to cook beef and sausage about halfway, and then drain the grease before putting it in the jars. Then fill the jars part way with store bought broth.

Use white vinegar on a rag or napkin to clean the rims of the jars I also add a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup into the canner water. It smells better and makes the jars and canner easier to clean. Add a quarter teaspoon of salt for pints and half a teaspoon for quarts. Meat and vegetables cook at 10 psi, 75 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts. There are tables to adjust the pressure depending on your elevation.