Silver for emergencies

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
spark_pluged
captain of 50

Silver for emergencies

Post by spark_pluged »

I've stacked some silver over the years for monetary collapse or other emergencies. In my mind, when the time comes, so few people will have precious metals in general, that the odds of someone having change for an ounce of gold would be slim to none. (Of course in many scenarios metals will hold little value compared to food) For this reason, I focused on 35% silver war nickels. They are the smallest denomination of U.S. Gov minted silver and each one contains .05 oz of silver. (I also really love the design of mercury dimes, see profile graphic)

What is my reason for posting today? I recently was diagnosed with Devic's disease; a neurological autoimmune disorder - a cousin, if you will, to Multiple Sclerosis. I can't work. Medical bills are piling up from MRIs, spinal taps, blood work, infusions, etc. My life has changed rather suddenly.

I wanted to reach out and see if any of the LDSFF community are also interested in silver as well. I see the wisdom in saving and storing wealth with the current debt based disaster of a world situation. If anyone has been wanting to purchase some and waiting for a good time, I may just have a bunch of war nickels to sell near spot price to satisfy the hospital billing office. At the moment I'd take a hit since the price is lower than when I bought them all, but they were bought for a rainy day fund and its been raining over here!

If anyone wants some and is in the Northern Utah area PM me.

For everyone else, those of you who do stack some silver/PMs, what to you prefer to stack and why? Although I don't own any, platinum has always intrigued me as a possibility.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Silver for emergencies

Post by Silver »

Ummm, message sent.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Hopefully you can manage the disease and do you're best to live a productive life. Good luck with the treatments.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

The biggest problem with precious metals, during a time where they are necessitated, is setting an agreed upon base of exchange. If things are so bad that precious metals must be used, the person with the most guns, or biggest brute squad sets the price.
If you think you can march into a food warehouse, that is successfully guarded from anarchic style looting mobs, and claim that your 1oz Gold Eagle should be exchanged at spot price of $1500, back when the stock tickers were still ticking before SHTF happened, you're fooling yourself. The cashier at the front desk, surrounded by a dozen fully-automatic machine gun guards, is gonna look at the $50 stamped on that coin and declare "I'll give ya 50 bucks of food". And don't even think you'll be able to exchange foreign gold coins. "A Krugga-what? What the ^@#$* is that??", "A gold panda? Do I look Chinese to you??", "Fine. I'll give you $50. Minus a 25% translation fee", as the guards chuckle and sneer. "Platinum? Looks like shiny aluminum to me. And its not even as big as a pop can!"
Once SHTF is over, and things return to their regular order, it'll be those guys that are cashing in your 1oz gold at spot price once again.

The point I'm getting at is, go for precious metals that don't have such a large span between their stamped value and their prior to SHTF exchange value. Silver dimes and quarters are your best bet. Silver 50c pieces start to get heavy and bulky, even though they are technically just twice the weight of the quarter. Silver nickels will be iffy, since there is just a 5c printed on them. You might want to even consider the 60/40 silver 50c pieces, because some exchangers may think they're 90% silver.
And when you're buying these for SHTF purposes, never pay premiums for nice, new, shiny, fancy design. When it comes down to it, a silver dime is a dime is a dime. In fact, you may even consider buying the culls and highly worn coins. As long as its distinguishable enough to be identified as a dime or quarter.

Tree
captain of 100

Post by Tree »

spark_pluged wrote:
What is my reason for posting today? I recently was diagnosed with Devic's disease; a neurological autoimmune disorder - a cousin, if you will, to Multiple Sclerosis. I can't work. Medical bills are piling up from MRIs, spinal taps, blood work, infusions, etc. My life has changed rather suddenly.
You have nutritional deficiencies. You are probably gluten intolerant. Get off the wheat, barley, rye and oats. You're deficient in essential fatty acids, cholesterol (Omega 3,6,9 & selenium). If you are gluten intolerant this will cause you not too absorb the vitamins, minerals, amino acids your body needs to repair and sustain.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Tree wrote:
spark_pluged wrote:
You have nutritional deficiencies. You are probably gluten intolerant. Get off the wheat, barley, rye and oats. You're deficient in essential fatty acids, cholesterol (Omega 3,6,9 & selenium). If you are gluten intolerant this will cause you not too absorb the vitamins, minerals, amino acids your body needs to repair and sustain.
And you might want to switch your diet to organic and if you live in/near a commercial non-organic farming community that uses Glyphosate ... move!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

spark_pluged
captain of 50

Post by spark_pluged »

Thanks for the kind comments. After going through some medical history several doctors are not confirming, but definitely suggesting the possibility that this could be a bad autoimmune trigger from a TDAP vaccination I had to get for work in Jan of 2015. The symptoms started slowly progressing and not long after I became a type 1 diabetic (which is also autoimmune in adults) as well.

I'm hoping to help manage it with some diet and nutrition. Wheat and grains does make the symptoms noticeably worse.

What are some healthy alternatives for non-grain and lower-glycemic food storage options? Is there anything you guys recommend?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I have a limited supply of gold and silver. I view it as a safe storage of value and a hedge against inflation, not as accumulated wealth for when society collapses. In Joseph Smith's alleged Chicago prophecy, he mentions the devaluation of the dollar. If we experience hyperinflation and need money for basic necessities (I'm thinking gasoline or medical supplies) the precious metals will be very useful. But in a socioeconomic collapse I don't share the belief that precious metals will be useful for trade. At that time I believe food, ammunition, and narcotics will be the valuable items, and I'm not about to store narcotics or sell ammo to somebody who could use it against me.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

brianj wrote:I have a limited supply of gold and silver. I view it as a safe storage of value and a hedge against inflation, not as accumulated wealth for when society collapses. In Joseph Smith's alleged Chicago prophecy, he mentions the devaluation of the dollar. If we experience hyperinflation and need money for basic necessities (I'm thinking gasoline or medical supplies) the precious metals will be very useful. But in a socioeconomic collapse I don't share the belief that precious metals will be useful for trade. At that time I believe food, ammunition, and narcotics will be the valuable items, and I'm not about to store narcotics or sell ammo to somebody who could use it against me.
+1,000 for the reluctance to sell ammo to potential criminals :ymapplause: I'd consider "selling" it to them..... one round at a time.

Speaking of rounds, where are most folks buying their silver these days? And what's the point in buying silver bullion with fancy designs on them as opposed to simpler coins with just the usual .999% troy silver content?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

iWriteStuff wrote:+1,000 for the reluctance to sell ammo to potential criminals :ymapplause: I'd consider "selling" it to them..... one round at a time.
That's not a sale. That's a donation!
Speaking of rounds, where are most folks buying their silver these days? And what's the point in buying silver bullion with fancy designs on them as opposed to simpler coins with just the usual .999% troy silver content?
Speaking for myself, buying the silver dollars (one ounce coins minted by the US government) over plain bars provides confidence that if I sell or barter the coin the purchaser will have reason to believe that it is what it appears to be. I would love to buy coins from other countries for the variety, more as a collection at this time, but price isn't worth it to me.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:+1,000 for the reluctance to sell ammo to potential criminals :ymapplause: I'd consider "selling" it to them..... one round at a time.
Speaking for myself, buying the silver dollars (one ounce coins minted by the US government) over plain bars provides confidence that if I sell or barter the coin the purchaser will have reason to believe that it is what it appears to be. I would love to buy coins from other countries for the variety, more as a collection at this time, but price isn't worth it to me.
Check out the silver Maples from Canada. They have a higher silver content than a silver Eagle and a higher face value while being slightly cheaper.
https://www.providentmetals.com/2016-1- ... -leaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.providentmetals.com/2016-am ... eagle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the bars, there are still thousands of people, perhaps tens of thousands who know their value. We are a quiet bunch, generally, so it seems that nobody understands the true silvery goodness of element 47. Just check out the volumes of silver Eagle sales over the past few years. Lots of people are investing. A market will spring up right away.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:
brianj wrote:
Check out the silver Maples from Canada. They have a higher silver content than a silver Eagle and a higher face value while being slightly cheaper.
https://www.providentmetals.com/2016-1- ... -leaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.providentmetals.com/2016-am ... eagle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the bars, there are still thousands of people, perhaps tens of thousands who know their value. We are a quiet bunch, generally, so it seems that nobody understands the true silvery goodness of element 47. Just check out the volumes of silver Eagle sales over the past few years. Lots of people are investing. A market will spring up right away.
Ah, see, it's that last point that I've been wondering about as well lately. I'm curious how the value of silver will be determined in a poo hits the air conditioning kind of situation.... barter? I was trying to imagine myself buying supplies with silver bullion coins or bars and I guess it's rather hard considering I've never had to do that before. Will doomsday prepper types be bartering amongst themselves or will there be some sort of learning curve in which the general populace comes to know the value of silver through the collapse of viable alternatives? :-?

I think they are an excellent means to store value and have alternative financial measures put aside. I'm slightly curious about their transaction utility post-dollar, though. Any thoughts or insights?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

It's all about supply vs demand ,I am surrounded by cattle farmers, I could see them needing equipment parts, gas or labor. If barter is not the only form of payment, and I do believe it will take sometime for a total collapse (Venezuela) then silver could be the preferred cash payment. I have a store and plan to clear it out of things no longer needed and become a centralized barter store. Bring your surplus, list your labor trades what you need in coinage, for 10% I will put together the trade and establish prices. Supply vs. Demand just like little house on the prairie only tougher.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Silver wrote:Check out the silver Maples from Canada. They have a higher silver content than a silver Eagle and a higher face value while being slightly cheaper.

Ah, see, it's that last point that I've been wondering about as well lately. I'm curious how the value of silver will be determined in a poo hits the air conditioning kind of situation.... barter? I was trying to imagine myself buying supplies with silver bullion coins or bars and I guess it's rather hard considering I've never had to do that before. Will doomsday prepper types be bartering amongst themselves or will there be some sort of learning curve in which the general populace comes to know the value of silver through the collapse of viable alternatives? :-?

I think they are an excellent means to store value and have alternative financial measures put aside. I'm slightly curious about their transaction utility post-dollar, though. Any thoughts or insights?
A couple of quotes to start my response:
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. (Mike Tyson)

"In those days Chinese markets were clamoring for crystallized ginseng root. Though Joseph Sr. had a hard-cash offer from a middleman for $3,000 for the ginseng root he had collected and prepared for shipment, he decided on the riskier but potentially more lucrative strategy of taking the product to New York himself and contracting with a ship’s captain to sell his goods in China on consignment. By eliminating the middleman, he stood to make as much as $4,500—an immense sum in those days.4

As bad luck or sinister planning would have it, Joseph Sr.’s shipment ended up on the same boat carrying the son of the middleman with whom he had declined to do business. Taking advantage of the situation, this son sold the Smith ginseng in China “at a high price” and kept the proceeds while spinning tales that the venture had been a bust, producing only a chest full of tea as reward.5

Meanwhile, just as this swindle was unfolding, the payments for a large inventory of merchandise had fallen due at the Smith store. In the face of demanding creditors, the Smiths hit a desperation point. To pay their debts, Lucy gave up a wedding gift of $1,000 that she had saved for years, and Joseph accepted $800 for the family farm in Tunbridge.6 The farm was the one thing that would have at least guaranteed a modicum of economic stability and long-term physical security in the often harsh world of the early American frontier. Now, penniless and landless, the Smiths would be forced to move eight times in 14 years, constantly looking for a way to provide for their family." https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/06/the ... a?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most of us, myself included, have led such a privileged lifestyle that we can't even begin to imagine how hard staying alive will be if the US$ were to crash or the US were defeated in a major world war. Who among us would like to think about their daughters marrying Russian or Chinese boys and disappearing like many German, French, Japanese and Korean women who married the conquering US soldiers? Can you easily picture several major cities destroyed by nukes?

So I guess the role precious metals will fill depends if it is you, and only you, who gets your financial nose punched by a crisis or if it is the whole world that is suffering. All I know is that if there is a space between now and total collapse, silver & gold will be able to do things that government fiat debt notes cannot. Building a network of like-minded friends has always seemed like the best advice to me.