Elder Cook calls out preppers?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Elder Cook calls out preppers?

Post by Silver »

IWS,
No need to worry about what you written in my direction (at least so far...and don't go talkin' 'bout my Mama...LOL). I feel no antagonism and understand the tenor of your comments fairly well by now.

Ann
captain of 10

Post by Ann »

harakim wrote:I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.
My mom was talking to a member of her bishopric, she said she supposed most of the ward was prepared as we're supposed to be, long term storage. He shook his head, and said not even 1/4 of them were. Sad. Also sad because she's in Florida. You would think that with a regular 6 month hurricane season every year, you would be prepared to survive at least the week or two when a hurricane does come, like now. But many are not prepared, not with food, water, or wood to board up windows. It's craziness!

I worry how things will take place. It's probably not very nice of me, but... I like the clear cut division as was with Noah. You weren't trying, weren't even wanting to do what's right... you don't get to enter the Ark, period. It wasn't left up to Noah to decide if he should let anyone in, the Lord did it. There are the 10 virgins too, 1/2 didn't get to go in. Jesus didn't let them in.

I really am not up for others suffering, but should my family have too? My real worry is that after my preparations to provide for my family, we won't have anything because someone else needs it because they didn't prepare.

My neighbor would send her kids to my house when they wanted a treat. ??? What ??? Who does that? Why would she do that? They told me that's what was going on because she didn't want to buy or make them, so when they came over I started offering apples. It irked me that she sent them over for treats. I figured if they were hungry, they would take the apple. It's sweet and healthy.

I don't want my family to go without.

What about the sifting of the wheat from the tares. Could a lack of food storage be a sifting?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Ann wrote:
harakim wrote:I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.
My mom was talking to a member of her bishopric, she said she supposed most of the ward was prepared as we're supposed to be, long term storage. He shook his head, and said not even 1/4 of them were. Sad. Also sad because she's in Florida. You would think that with a regular 6 month hurricane season every year, you would be prepared to survive at least the week or two when a hurricane does come, like now. But many are not prepared, not with food, water, or wood to board up windows. It's craziness!

I worry how things will take place. It's probably not very nice of me, but... I like the clear cut division as was with Noah. You weren't trying, weren't even wanting to do what's right... you don't get to enter the Ark, period. It wasn't left up to Noah to decide if he should let anyone in, the Lord did it. There are the 10 virgins too, 1/2 didn't get to go in. Jesus didn't let them in.

I really am not up for others suffering, but should my family have too? My real worry is that after my preparations to provide for my family, we won't have anything because someone else needs it because they didn't prepare.

My neighbor would send her kids to my house when they wanted a treat. ??? What ??? Who does that? Why would she do that? They told me that's what was going on because she didn't want to buy or make them, so when they came over I started offering apples. It irked me that she sent them over for treats. I figured if they were hungry, they would take the apple. It's sweet and healthy.

What about the sifting of the wheat from the tares. Could a lack of food storage be a sifting?
Although prophets have told us to acquire at least a years supply of goods, I believe the Lord checks the condition of our hearts. A person that is apathetic and doesn't concern themselves with preparing for calamities doesn't deserve the same blessings as a person that, at least, puts forth the effort to get even a meager storage. Maybe they have little money, maybe they are a struggling single mother, or a father barely bringing home enough money to make ends meet each month. But if they are saving their pennies, dimes and nickles and spending it on storage for a long period of time, they will discover they have quite a bit of stuff. And even though they don't have a year's supply, I believe the Lord will bless them because their hearts were in the right place. The Lord blesses those that "are willing to", not the ones that say "I don't care." The one is willing and obedient, the other is rebellious.

Doctrine and Covenants 64:34
34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

I hope this helps.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

http://www.monex.com/expert/gold-to-silver-ratio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:Take what the Fed's did to Lavoy Finicum and multiply that by many. The government can employ however many evil people with criminal minds to kill fellow Americans, just like Lavoy, God bless his soul. Did you watch the video of his assassination and the illegal methods used? Now coverups are being discovered and exposed.
Anyway, this is how roads can be blocked as evil men in Washington desire. It is not a fantasy idea. It is reality!
This is how roads get blocked - the unprepared leaving too late from forced evacuation due to hurricane.... Many waiting in lines to get fuel and groceries prior to leaving.
I was thinking all one needs to do is create come chaos up front of the evacuation and up to 1 million trapped on the roads.

An economic crash or civil war rioting would not do this until all the food ran out which would take 3 -7 days. Giving one plenty of time to leave if you are prepared.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Take what the Fed's did to Lavoy Finicum and multiply that by many. The government can employ however many evil people with criminal minds to kill fellow Americans, just like Lavoy, God bless his soul. Did you watch the video of his assassination and the illegal methods used? Now coverups are being discovered and exposed.
Anyway, this is how roads can be blocked as evil men in Washington desire. It is not a fantasy idea. It is reality!
This is how roads get blocked - the unprepared leaving too late from forced evacuation due to hurricane.... Many waiting in lines to get fuel and groceries prior to leaving.
I was thinking all one needs to do is create come chaos up front of the evacuation and up to 1 million trapped on the roads.

An economic crash or civil war rioting would not do this until all the food ran out which would take 3 -7 days. Giving one plenty of time to leave if you are prepared.
I thought the whole idea was to be prepared so one doesn't have to go anywhere under duress. Joel Skousen even has a book out showing people how to fortify their home...The Secure Home.
https://www.amazon.com/Secure-Home-Joel ... 1568610556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This book as well: The High Security Shelter - How to Implement a Multi-Purpose Safe Room in the Home
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05781 ... HVYGA26G88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:
Spaced_Out wrote:

I thought the whole idea was to be prepared so one doesn't have to go anywhere under duress. Joel Skousen even has a book out showing people how to fortify their home...The Secure Home.
https://www.amazon.com/Secure-Home-Joel ... 1568610556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This book as well: The High Security Shelter - How to Implement a Multi-Purpose Safe Room in the Home
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05781 ... HVYGA26G88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A secure home would take a community of people to maintain safety and is the first priority.

But if you are in a flood plain and get flooded, or next to a volcano and get taken out, or on ground has potential for liquefaction during an earthquake like half of Salt Lake City in danger zone. You city gets nuked and their is radiation fallout, an invading army comes through your town. The church leadership issue a callout.

There are now 2 million people being urged to evacuate due to imminent landfall of Hurricane Matthew - many of them will return to find their house gone or swallowed up by the sea.

In Australia I would say more than 25%of the population live in flood prone areas and will have to leave or end up sitting on the roof of their house. I chose wisely and did my homework prior to my current residence.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:A secure home would take a community of people to maintain safety and is the first priority.

But if you are in a flood plain and get flooded, or next to a volcano and get taken out, or on ground has potential for liquefaction during an earthquake like half of Salt Lake City in danger zone. You city gets nuked and their is radiation fallout, an invading army comes through your town. The church leadership issue a callout.

There are now 2 million people being urged to evacuate due to imminent landfall of Hurricane Matthew - many of them will return to find their house gone or swallowed up by the sea.

In Australia I would say more than 25%of the population live in flood prone areas and will have to leave or end up sitting on the roof of their house. I chose wisely and did my homework prior to my current residence.
True. I guess I forgot the most important factor. Before going to all the expense and labor, one should ask God if their plan is a viable one for their residence. Even in areas you spoke of, I know God can protect folks that call upon him for that protection.

Here is a small example concerning Wilford Woodruff:
Wilford Woodruff (1807–98), who later became the fourth President of the Church, was once sleeping outside in his wagon with his wife and child when the Spirit whispered, “Get up and move [your] carriage.”1 He could have dismissed it as a strange idea, but instead he obeyed. Half an hour later, a whirlwind snapped off an enormous tree and flung it through the air. The tree landed exactly where the wagon had been.

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff (2004), 47.

Unless someone is called away from the living, I believe God will help those that help themselves. A shelter does not have to be in the home. It can be underground adjacent the house or under a deck, using the deck as a facade over the roof of the shelter. Any number of ways and methods I think.
It may beat moving elsewhere and getting your tent destroyed some how, orf buying a more expensive house and having it torn apart by some calamity. We cannot predict bad times even in our own yard. But we can ask for pretection.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

[quote="freedomforall"I thought the whole idea was to be prepared so one doesn't have to go anywhere under duress. Joel Skousen even has a book out showing people how to fortify their home...The Secure Home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05781 ... HVYGA26G88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

If Joel Skousen can make a good living creating safe rooms inside houses and stocking them, good for him. And, while I do believe that a safe room is a good idea for several reasons - especially for those who live in areas prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, or other high velocity weather events, I don't believe that the idea of locking yourself and your family away in safety while everybody else suffers is in line with gospel principles. We are supposed to care for our neighbors and come together, not isolate ourselves. Since I believe that we need to come together, share our stores and labor, have church meetings, and be protected from those who would do us harm, although I really don't like the term, I do believe that some form of "call out" will happen.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

freedomforall wrote:
Ann wrote:

Although prophets have told us to acquire at least a years supply of goods, I believe the Lord checks the condition of our hearts. A person that is apathetic and doesn't concern themselves with preparing for calamities doesn't deserve the same blessings as a person that, at least, puts forth the effort to get even a meager storage. Maybe they have little money, maybe they are a struggling single mother, or a father barely bringing home enough money to make ends meet each month. But if they are saving their pennies, dimes and nickles and spending it on storage for a long period of time, they will discover they have quite a bit of stuff. And even though they don't have a year's supply, I believe the Lord will bless them because their hearts were in the right place. The Lord blesses those that "are willing to", not the ones that say "I don't care." The one is willing and obedient, the other is rebellious.

34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

I hope this helps.
I would agree with this post, but my wife was a single mother and had a year's food storage when we got married. Someone may not be 100% prepared, but if you don't have a year's food storage it is going to be hard to come up with an excuse as to why.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

harakim wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Ann wrote:

I hope this helps.
I would agree with this post, but my wife was a single mother and had a year's food storage when we got married. Someone may not be 100% prepared, but if you don't have a year's food storage it is going to be hard to come up with an excuse as to why.
You may be right. I was only trying to provide some hope. It still boils down to the condition of one's heart.
Part of the ten virgins had some oil, some did not. Does the account provide any details as to how much oil each of the prepared virgins possessed? I would assume something is better than nothing, a willing heart vs a rebellious one. Am I wrong?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

brianj wrote:[quote="freedomforall"I thought the whole idea was to be prepared so one doesn't have to go anywhere under duress. Joel Skousen even has a book out showing people how to fortify their home...The Secure Home.

If Joel Skousen can make a good living creating safe rooms inside houses and stocking them, good for him. And, while I do believe that a safe room is a good idea for several reasons - especially for those who live in areas prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, or other high velocity weather events, I don't believe that the idea of locking yourself and your family away in safety while everybody else suffers is in line with gospel principles. We are supposed to care for our neighbors and come together, not isolate ourselves. Since I believe that we need to come together, share our stores and labor, have church meetings, and be protected from those who would do us harm, although I really don't like the term, I do believe that some form of "call out" will happen.
Yeah posted on this many times, one has a right to keep your family safe.
Like Noah where the ark was shut by the Lord, there might be plague, bad weather, earthquake where the roads are impassable, a general curfew installed to prevent rioting, as seen recently in many areas. People who think they can just go walking around gathering things and begging might be in for a very big surprise.

Who is walking around during an Ebola type outbreak and just letting people into your house. :-?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Spaced-out,
Yeah posted on this many times, one has a right to keep your family safe.
I think too many people, even those who don't realize it, keep falling into, a God socialism paradigm. I think, no matter what the situation is, your first obligation is to take care of yourself and your family. It is only after accomplishing that, that you use whatever excess capabilities you have to help others. I also believe that if you have excess capability, then YOU are the steward who determines how much of it to share with others and how to do so.

Now I do understand that emergencies are unpredictable, and who knows how long they will last. I think God would not look kindly on one who barricaded themselves away form society, and lived a comfortable life as those around them starved. I think there is a lesson to be learned by the story of Elijah and the widow. SHE chose to follow his direction to feed him from the last of her food, before fixing a meal for her and her son. Because of her following the advice of Elijah, her meager bag of meal lasted through the famine.

I have read about so many here who feel guilty in that they think that they need to take care of their family, first before, sharing or even pooling their resources. I strongly believe, that if you have followed the prophet's guidance to put away food, clothes, and fuel, then it will be God's will that this is YOUR stewardship to use in time of need, and that while you should share and help your fellow men.... not at the expense of neglecting your family.

Regards,

George Clay

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

A modern-day version of the "Grasshopper and the Ant" tale that fits this topic quite well. Warning though, it has a bit of PG-13 language, but the point is made. Sad that the original story has been corrupted by PC-ers and all the children's versions have the ant sharing his food. In the original story the grasshopper dies.

Just google: Fairy Tale Friday - The Ant and the Grasshopper on YouTube.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

harakim wrote:I would agree with this post, but my wife was a single mother and had a year's food storage when we got married. Someone may not be 100% prepared, but if you don't have a year's food storage it is going to be hard to come up with an excuse as to why.
As newly weds, my wife and I had acquired a years supply for ourselves within 6 months of marriage. I was in school at the time and we couldn't afford to purchase even a mop as we could technically do without it. And anything we could do without, we did. I probably spent close to 10% of my gross income that year to accomplish it.

I agree that excuses on this point are thin frail things that reek of faithless disobedience. Single parents with multiple children, the very poor, or people just getting started out on life get some leniency in my book. Even in those groups obedience levels are pretty close to average. It really isn't a matter of means or space or knowledge, but of faith.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

BackBlast wrote:
harakim wrote:I would agree with this post, but my wife was a single mother and had a year's food storage when we got married. Someone may not be 100% prepared, but if you don't have a year's food storage it is going to be hard to come up with an excuse as to why.
As newly weds, my wife and I had acquired a years supply for ourselves within 6 months of marriage. I was in school at the time and we couldn't afford to purchase even a mop as we could technically do without it. And anything we could do without, we did. I probably spent close to 10% of my gross income that year to accomplish it.

I agree that excuses on this point are thin frail things that reek of faithless disobedience. Single parents with multiple children, the very poor, or people just getting started out on life get some leniency in my book. Even in those groups obedience levels are pretty close to average. It really isn't a matter of means or space or knowledge, but of faith.
When were each of you married? I have to admit that my food storage began in earnest out of fear, when the so-called rice crisis occurred in 2008, with rice shortages and the trading price of rice quadrupling, in addition to the price of wheat and other foodstuffs nearly doubling due to the 2007-2008 world food price crisis. At the time I recall people telling me that I started too late, that if I had built my food storage a year or two earlier I could have purchased an entire year's recommended food storage for $200 to $250 per person.
I recently did the math, using current prices at store.lds.org. Today it would cost about $700 per person to purchase one year's worth of recommended canned goods for long-term food storage. It simply is not as easy to buy food storage now as it once was, not only because of the significantly higher prices but also because of how often home storage centers are running out of items.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I wrote this earlier today but couldn't post it until now.

Is death the worst that can happen to people?

Not going into great detail here, say a family has two years supply of almost everything imaginable. (Keep it clean) A major calamity strikes and nearly devastates the area and its inhabitants.
The family with the food+ survives and are in good condition accept for their house which is close to being in shambles, yet they do have a large shelter beneath the house. Soon there are other people, a few injured, gathering and huddling in the street in front, of course they are bewildered and scared.
The family Patriarch invites them to come into the shelter. There is no food, no water and people are scurrying , robbing and creating continual chaos and panic.
Long story short, after several months all persons in the shelter die off.

Were the people that had the shelter wrong for having outside persons enter into it knowing they couldn't sustain everyone for two years?

Would the people who shared be blessed for sacrificing everything, even their lives?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

The father sacrificed the lives of his kids for the benefit of his ego. Not sure that is something that will bring blessings.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Freedomforall,
Would the people who shared be blessed for sacrificing everything, even their lives?
I like your thought experiment, and mostly agree with your conclusion. The real key is to seek the Lord's guidance. However, most of us, most of the time, don't always get clearly understood answers. So the bottom line is, that it is more important HOW we live rather than THAT we live. So if in doubt, I would hope that I share.

Fiannan makes an erroneous assumption that is common with socialists (although you don't have to be a socialist to make it). It is easy to see stuff (such as food and clothing) as being something that magically exists, and you either have it, or you don't and the battle is over who should have it.

This erroneous thinking leads to communism, and other forms of control and greed, and a failure to understand the value of people.

In the case of preparation, it leads to the idea, that your stash will help you from the time the SHTF until a new magical time when stuff becomes available again. This model works OK for preparing for a storm or another short term emergency, but not for something bigger and more cataclysmic.

In such a time, a years supply or 2 years supply, just lets you hang on a little longer before you also die of starvation. In this mortal world, we need to constantly work to supply our needs. So the mechanic, the carpenter, the seamstress, the hunter, that you share your food with, can be part of that engine that helps to rebuild from that SHTF calamity, not to mention, they can be part of a team to band together and help protect against marauders.

This still doesn't take away from the idea that sharing has to be done judiciously. Obviously, you can't help everybody, and some would take if they knew you had. The best way to go, is to get God's guidance. However, if I didn't get a clear answer, I would rather err, on the side of having shared, and died, than on being stingy and maybe lived, not saving some I could have.

Regards,

George Clay

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:Not going into great detail here, say a family has two years supply of almost everything imaginable. (Keep it clean) A major calamity strikes and nearly devastates the area and its inhabitants.
We all have idiosyncrasies, and I had to share this one after your keep it clean comment: My wife has a 1+ year of toilet paper. She says she would rather starve than go without toilet paper! I can't wait for moisture to destroy it!
Fiannan wrote:The father sacrificed the lives of his kids for the benefit of his ego. Not sure that is something that will bring blessings.
Why do you conclude the father sacrificed his family for his own ego?
I have come to a very different conclusion: I conclude that the father and family unwilling to share with their neighbors might one day hear the words of Matthew 25:42: "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat."

Were I in the hypothetical situation posed, and living righteously, I would not be able to stop thinking of Matthew 25:40: "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Living unrighteously is, of course, another story. I expect many wicked people will feed those in need to make them dependent and obedient, trying to become minor warlords.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

brianj,
We all have idiosyncrasies, and I had to share this one after your keep it clean comment: My wife has a 1+ year of toilet paper. She says she would rather starve than go without toilet paper! I can't wait for moisture to destroy it!
Yes we do. I don't know if I have a whole year's supply of toilet paper, but I have some. I try to buy brands that seal each roll in plastic, and then I store them in a plastic trash can that I seal with duct tape.

Do you live in that mass of humanity that lives between Ogden and Spanish Fork? I would think that things would be pretty dry there and you wouldn't have to worry about moisture, like we do here in Pa.

And as I have said before, the implementation of preparedness (and the extent of sharing), is very personal, and we all just have to keep those biblical concepts you mentioned in mind, consult God, and do the best we can.

Regards,

George Clay

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Why do you conclude the father sacrificed his family for his own ego?
I have come to a very different conclusion: I conclude that the father and family unwilling to share with their neighbors might one day hear the words of Matthew 25:42: "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat."

Were I in the hypothetical situation posed, and living righteously, I would not be able to stop thinking of Matthew 25:40: "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
And the man who does not provide for his family is, as the good book says, worse than an infidel.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote:brianj,
Yes we do. I don't know if I have a whole year's supply of toilet paper, but I have some. I try to buy brands that seal each roll in plastic, and then I store them in a plastic trash can that I seal with duct tape.

Do you live in that mass of humanity that lives between Ogden and Spanish Fork? I would think that things would be pretty dry there and you wouldn't have to worry about moisture, like we do here in Pa.

And as I have said before, the implementation of preparedness (and the extent of sharing), is very personal, and we all just have to keep those biblical concepts you mentioned in mind, consult God, and do the best we can.

Regards,

George Clay
I don't live in Utah. I live in the vicinity of Seattle, Washington. It is nice and humid here, thanks to all the rain, and if the toilet paper wasn't stored in a climate controlled environment that TP isn't going to lat lang.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Fiannan wrote:And the man who does not provide for his family is, as the good book says, worse than an infidel.
I hope this isn't true. I know quite a few men who have a very strong desire to support their families but, thanks to how society has become so wicked, are not able to land jobs that pay enough to support a family. Several are forced to be stay at home parents while their spouses work. They have strong support from their priesthood leaders, but I don't know if any human support can make up for the spiritual damage of being forced into that situation.