Elder Cook calls out preppers?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Elder Cook calls out preppers?

Post by lundbaek »

No home is secure against determined attackers, especially if attackers can get safely within Molotov cocktail throwing distance. And people with prepared retreats in remote locations should consider how they will get to them in roads are jammed with fleeing people and LEOs and LEO impersonators stopping cars and confiscating firearms and whatever else.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:No home is secure against determined attackers, especially if attackers can get safely within Molotov cocktail throwing distance. And people with prepared retreats in remote locations should consider how they will get to them in roads are jammed with fleeing people and LEOs and LEO impersonators stopping cars and confiscating firearms and whatever else.
Perhaps a jeep with Armament consisting of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors, with a rate of fire of 2×120 rounds per minute (rpm) would be helpful. :D Oh, well, back to reality.
Last edited by freedomforall on October 5th, 2016, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

lundbaek wrote:No home is secure against determined attackers, especially if attackers can get safely within Molotov cocktail throwing distance. And people with prepared retreats in remote locations should consider how they will get to them in roads are jammed with fleeing people and LEOs and LEO impersonators stopping cars and confiscating firearms and whatever else.
Whatever weird scenario you can bring up to justify not having preps - holds no water.

If one has preps buried and well hidden - you can leave your house and return later. No one in my neighborhood is aware we have preps or even in the ward except for one or two who are also preppers..

Leave before the mess starts. The number one rule of prepping is to keep your ear to the ground. While people are still raiding grocery stores for supplies one should be well gone. It take about 72 hours before people start to panic after the lights go out.. Most people won't leave there houses as they have nowhere to go. Only for things like bush fires or storms where there is usually plenty of warning. A surprise nuke attack could do it, but in that case the gov. will tell people to stay indoors and the good sheeple will obey...

You watch too many Hollywood movies - that do not equate to reality.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:
Perhaps a jeep with Armament consisting of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors, with a rate of fire of 2×120 rounds per minute (rpm) would be helpful. :D
That is what I call real freedom of movement :D .

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:
Whatever weird scenario you can bring up to justify not having preps - holds no water.

If one has preps buried and well hidden - you can leave your house and return later. No one in my neighborhood is aware we have preps or even in the ward except for one or two who are also preppers..

Leave before the mess starts. The number one rule of prepping is to keep your ear to the ground. While people are still raiding grocery stores for supplies one should be well gone. It take about 72 hours before people start to panic after the lights go out.. Most people won't leave there houses as they have nowhere to go. Only for things like bush fires or storms where there is usually plenty of warning. A surprise nuke attack could do it, but in that case the gov. will tell people to stay indoors and the good sheeple will obey...

Here is some reality: how many 70+ people, with serious health issues, can you carry on your shoulders? They may have preps, but are not healthy enough to go anywhere, what will you do to assist them?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:How many members are willing to give their supply to be placed in a bishop's storehouse if requested to do so?
This would be an incredibly difficult request for me to honor. There are very few, if any, poor people in my ward. EVERY family, even the poor ones, can afford to build up a decent food storage over one year but most refuse to do so. Too many of them have the attitude that I will just bend over backwards for them and happily let my family starve as I keep the freeloaders fat and happy, meanwhile they waste large sums of money extravagantly doing so many of the things that I have always wanted to do but have not been able to afford thus far in life.

I really don't know that I could give up my supply if the Bishop asked. Therefore I hope that it happens. The blessings of facing that trial and overcoming my resistance to the request would be tremendous!
Current prophetic priority is first family, then your employer and church third. No such thing can be request by a Bishop. A Bishop can request donations of items and housing for those that don't have. There is no such thing as an individual request to hand over personal item - it is not in the program.
Last edited by Spaced_Out on October 5th, 2016, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Perhaps a jeep with Armament consisting of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors, with a rate of fire of 2×120 rounds per minute (rpm) would be helpful. :D
That is what I call real freedom of movement :D .
One owning a vehicle equipped like this could say "go ahead, make my day." ;)

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:
Spaced_Out wrote:

Here is some reality: how many 70+ people, with serious health issues, can you carry on your shoulders? They may have preps, but are not healthy enough to go anywhere, what will you do to assist them?
Good question, first salvation is a family affair and preppers take family members into account. Throughout the Book of Mormon people always gathered in family units. Yeah today family units are mostly non existent which is one reason why things go downhill so fast.
These things need to be sorted out on a stake and family level. There have been a few callouts like storm Katrina where people were told to evacuate, and Teton Dam disaster etc... The church uses available resources like using missionaries to assist.
Each ward is to have an emergency plan. where these type of events are planned for.
https://providentliving.lds.org/emergen ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I'm not trying to justify not having preps. We have preps. And we do not watch Hollywood movies as Spaced_Out accuses me of doing. (He put himself on my "ignore" list with those comments on top of a few others in past) But I did read Jack Monnett's book WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT and co-hosted Jack's speaking engagement here in Mesa a few years ago.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:
brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:How many members are willing to give their supply to be placed in a bishop's storehouse if requested to do so?
This would be an incredibly difficult request for me to honor. There are very few, if any, poor people in my ward. EVERY family, even the poor ones, can afford to build up a decent food storage over one year but most refuse to do so. Too many of them have the attitude that I will just bend over backwards for them and happily let my family starve as I keep the freeloaders fat and happy, meanwhile they waste large sums of money extravagantly doing so many of the things that I have always wanted to do but have not been able to afford thus far in life.

I really don't know that I could give up my supply if the Bishop asked. Therefore I hope that it happens. The blessings of facing that trial and overcoming my resistance to the request would be tremendous!
Current prophetic priority is first family, then your employer and church third. No such thing can be request by a Bishop. A Bishop can request donations of items and house for those that don't have. There is no such thing as an individual request to hand over personal item - it is not in the program.
Bishops would be following counsel from above in order to enact such a situation. It is not impossible for the prophet to receive revelation with regard to safety measures for the members if God deems it necessary, no matter what the current program may be. God runs the church and can make rules or revoke them.

Doctrine and Covenants 56:4
4 Wherefore I, the Lord, command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to be answered upon the heads of the rebellious, saith the Lord.

We need be careful as to what we think we know and adhere to, right?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:I'm not trying to justify not having preps. We have preps. And we do not watch Hollywood movies as Spaced_Out accuses me of doing. (He put himself on my "ignore" list with those comments on top of a few others in past) But I did read Jack Monnett's book WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT and co-hosted Jack's speaking engagement here in Mesa a few years ago.
Sorry Lund. I wish people would not make judgments where their is no sure knowledge to back it up. I, likewise, have some people on my ignore list. And maybe I'm on someones ignore list. Not all personalities mesh in real life, or on a world wide forum where anonymity is used as a barrier with regard to bad speech, conjecture, surmising, supposition and rudeness. Heck, sometimes I'm guilty. :ymblushing:

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:
Spaced_Out wrote:
brianj wrote:

Current prophetic priority is first family, then your employer and church third. No such thing can be request by a Bishop. A Bishop can request donations of items and house for those that don't have. There is no such thing as an individual request to hand over personal item - it is not in the program.
Bishops would be following counsel from above in order to enact such a situation. It is not impossible for the prophet to receive revelation with regard to safety measures for the members if God deems it necessary, no matter what the current program may be. God runs the church and can make rules or revoke them.

Doctrine and Covenants 56:4
4 Wherefore I, the Lord, command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to be answered upon the heads of the rebellious, saith the Lord.

We need be careful as to what we think we know and adhere to, right?
Yes things will change, a great sifting is coming, those that think they have no preps will just get free handouts will be greatly disappointed. Doctrine and Covenants 56:4 is about God requesting the members to build a temple or something then revoking the request due to persecution in which case the revoke is answered upon the heads of the persecutors. I can't imagine the law of family first ever been revoked for some other devilish principle.
Pres Benson warning should be heeded, reposted here.
"Should the Lord decide at this time to cleanse the Church - and the need for that cleansing seems to be increasing - a famine in this land of one year's duration could wipe out a large percentage of slothful members including some ward and stake officers. Yet we cannot say we have not been warned." Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 265.
"'And there shall arise after them seven years of famine ... And God will shortly bring it to pass.' Now brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But, I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order ... avoid debt to the extent possible. Pay off debt as quickly as you can, and free yourselves from bondage... There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give head. We are carrying a message of self reliance throughout the Church... I urge you brethren to look to the condition of our finances..." Gordon B. Hinkley, October Conference 1998.
The best food storage is not in welfare grain elevators but in sealed cans and bottles in the homes of our people. What a gratifying thing it is to see cans of wheat and rice and beans under the beds or in the pantries of women who have taken welfare responsibility into their own hands. Such food may not be tasty, but it will be nourishing if it has to be used.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote:
lundbaek wrote:I'm not trying to justify not having preps. We have preps. And we do not watch Hollywood movies as Spaced_Out accuses me of doing. (He put himself on my "ignore" list with those comments on top of a few others in past) But I did read Jack Monnett's book WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT and co-hosted Jack's speaking engagement here in Mesa a few years ago.
Sorry Lund. I wish people would not make judgments where their is no sure knowledge to back it up. I, likewise, have some people on my ignore list. And maybe I'm on someones ignore list. Not all personalities mesh in real life, or on a world wide forum where anonymity is used as a barrier with regard to bad speech, conjecture, surmising, supposition and rudeness. Heck, sometimes I'm guilty. :ymblushing:
LOL people who throw stones are too sensitive. Where do people come up with the idea all the roads will be blocked!!.
Personally I watch hollywood moves and see nothing wrong with them - well those that are appropriately rated... :p

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
LOL people who throw stones are too sensitive. Where do people come up with the idea all the roads will be blocked!!.
Personally I watch hollywood moves and see nothing wrong with them - well those that are appropriately rated... :p
Take what the Fed's did to Lavoy Finicum and multiply that by many. The government can employ however many evil people with criminal minds to kill fellow Americans, just like Lavoy, God bless his soul. Did you watch the video of his assassination and the illegal methods used? Now coverups are being discovered and exposed.
Anyway, this is how roads can be blocked as evil men in Washington desire. It is not a fantasy idea. It is reality!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:
Perhaps a jeep with Armament consisting of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors, with a rate of fire of 2×120 rounds per minute (rpm) would be helpful. :D Oh, well, back to reality.
Too heavy, too expensive, and the ammo is both highly regulated very bulky. I will be satisfied with a nice rifle in .338 Lapua so I can stop bad guys at 2,200 meters.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Too heavy, too expensive, and the ammo is both highly regulated very bulky. I will be satisfied with a nice rifle in .338 Lapua so I can stop bad guys at 2,200 meters.
The Finnish Army found out during a test/trails program and 7 years of service that the barrels of their Sako TRG-42 sniper rifles lasted 7,000 to 8,000 rounds with Lapua Lock Base B408 factory ammunition before showing impermissible accuracy decay.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Lapua_Magnum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

freedomforall wrote:

Any ideas?

Get everyone around you to take responsibility in preparing themselves.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
Juliet wrote:
harakim wrote:I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.
If I have 365 meals worth of food for one person, it would only last 1 meal for 365 people. There is no way people who have prepared will have remotely enough for those who have not. The only way to survive is for everyone to prepare for their own household, and then sharing will become a multiplier. Nevertheless, I will share if God asks me to, because I do trust that He will multiply it if He wants us alive.
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

1st Timothy 5:8
And your point is?
I had a bishop who noted that if one spent all his time preaching then what profit would it give him and his family if he died of starvation with a Bible in his hand?

You have a responsibility to protect and provide for your family first. If there is a means by which you can help others then that is great, but family, then extended family then network (be it church or whatever).

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mirkwood wrote:
freedomforall wrote:

Any ideas?

Get everyone around you to take responsibility in preparing themselves.
They generally come back with "why should I, I know where you live?" :-s

Really though, how does one give people a kickstart so they might get motivated without offending them or making them suspiscious?

Now, just so you know, as a prepper, here is my bug-out bag.
BUG OUT BAG.jpg
BUG OUT BAG.jpg (141.18 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
And here is my mode of hauling my bug-out bag.
BUGOUT BAG TRANSPORTER1.jpg
BUGOUT BAG TRANSPORTER1.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
:D :)) :D

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
Juliet wrote:
If I have 365 meals worth of food for one person, it would only last 1 meal for 365 people. There is no way people who have prepared will have remotely enough for those who have not. The only way to survive is for everyone to prepare for their own household, and then sharing will become a multiplier. Nevertheless, I will share if God asks me to, because I do trust that He will multiply it if He wants us alive.
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

1st Timothy 5:8
And your point is?
I had a bishop who noted that if one spent all his time preaching then what profit would it give him and his family if he died of starvation with a Bible in his hand?

You have a responsibility to protect and provide for your family first. If there is a means by which you can help others then that is great, but family, then extended family then network (be it church or whatever).
Can't disagree here. All my kids live 800+ miles away and are all employed. #:-s
Should I call in a 15,000 pd load of food stuffs for the neighborhood? Nah.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I live in Utah so it is a different animal for me in teaching people. I've had some success in my ward/stake. Not as much as I would like, but better than nothing.

As for the whole "we know where you live"...I scare people...

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mirkwood wrote:I live in Utah so it is a different animal for me in teaching people. I've had some success in my ward/stake. Not as much as I would like, but better than nothing.

As for the whole "we know where you live"...I scare people...
When I was a kid, I lived at 966 E 33rd S from about 1952-54, can't remember exactly . Now all the homes and remodeled chicken coops in that small area from the forties and fifties that people lived in are all gone and have been for many, many years. Last I was there, a brick building replaced everything. My memories from back then are very dim. I do remember there being boardwalks and a gravel road leading in off of 33 S. I also remember throwing a ball and breaking a large window in a guys house. Boy was he ticked. My dad offered to pay for it, but because I was honest and fessed up to it, the guy was so shocked he said no. He thought all kids were liars.

Sorry for the derail.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

freedomforall wrote:
Silver wrote:How's this for a summary of this thread so far:
The Church has duly and patiently warned us for generations to prepare every needful thing. The Church has counseled us to not go into debt for those items. Elder Cook has now wisely warned us to not go to extremes in our preparations. However, whether on an individual basis or for the active membership as a whole, there will clearly come a day when the Bridegroom closes the door to some and a series of Millennial events begins. It will then be everlastingly too late to prepare. However, the Lord, in His mercy, tells us that we may find ourselves supporting a bishop, who, as a common judge in Israel, will know who should receive assistance beyond the point when all preparations should have been completed. We have every right to confirm for ourselves through the Gift of the Holy Ghost that the bishop is inspired in his request. If he is, we better share. If we judge he is not inspired, we better be 110% certain of that.

It comes down to priorities. If any of you still reading have not yet prepared food, water and a financial reserve, what luxuries or unnecessary items can you eliminate or sell to get closer to obedience of this principle?
Explain this...what good is financial reserve if the economy drops to every man for himself, and money is worthless? For that matter what good would gold or silver be? If money lost all value, these precious metals would only be good for being nice decorations in the front yard.
I see no reason for buying these metals at a high dollar rate and then having them become useless, or next to it. And who will have enough money, if it were any good, to pay the original price so the owner won't lose out on his investment?
I've pondered this scenario over and over again and it still makes no sense. I see it as a waste of money, a bad investment and something of no real, significant value when the bottom drops out of the economy. My belief is that barter items would be more profitable and useful.

For instance, perhaps these items for starters: http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/41-items-to-barter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't tell from your writing alone what the tone is. Do you think I'm an idiot or are you sincerely inquiring? I only mentioned a "financial reserve" because we are commanded by the Lord to have one. Although I prefer precious metals which has been real money for thousands of years for my financial reserve, some may be inspired to have paper money for theirs.

Do you mind if I focus on your comment "metals at a high dollar rate" for a second? Corn flakes and bullets and sleeping bags are just the same. Our once-mighty dollar has been weakened some 95% since the Federal Reserve took over. I would say that the dollar is cheap, not that gold is expensive.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

As I noted in my thread "Preparedness - We become Venezuela", I think that too many preppers, think that they have figured out what IT is, so they prepare only for the it that they have imagined. While it may be true that money soon becomes worthless, we don't know for sure. A prepper may be in as much, or even more trouble, if they get into great debt, buying precious metals, thinking that the metals will become valuable and the debt worthless. Just look at what Gold has done over the past 8 years. Or putting all of their effort into building a private armory to fend off the Zombie apocalypse.

I think that is one reason that Elder Cook cautioned preppers about getting too far out there.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

George Clay,
Thanks for your comments. It is not wise to go into debt to purchase prepping items. So I don't. If I order anything with a credit card, I pay it off before the end of the month.

That's why I keep saying, like a broken record, only what god's anointed prophets and apostles have taught us: Food, water & a financial reserve. Then let those items take whatever form the individual is inspired to store. For me, I have multiple clear signals from on high (and advice from ET Benson along with thousands of years of monetary history) that precious metals are safe.