Elder Cook calls out preppers?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Elder Cook calls out preppers?

Post by freedomforall »

davedan wrote:There will come a day when gathering with the Stake will be critical to survival.

If an individual has focused too much on prepping, they may feel they don't need the Stake but rely on their own preps alone.
And a big mistake. How many members are willing to give their supply to be placed in a bishop's storehouse if requested to do so?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Libertybelle2012 wrote:
davedan wrote:There will come a day when gathering with the Stake will be critical to survival.

If an individual has focused too much on prepping, they may feel they don't need the Stake but rely on their own preps alone.
I have no clue where you guys come up with this stuff. So, if members are preparing every needful thing they could not possibly be looking to the savior "looking beyond the mark" or
Be willing to be part of their stake during a catastrophe (LOL who in the heck do you think the stake is going to be looking to.... brother Joe shmo who might have a three month supply or brother mark prepper who has. Even oreosring and training?

This kind of stuff is not scriptural. The use of the scrioture being taken out of context to describe and Shame prepper or those who stand for Liberty is appealing.
#-o

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mirkwood wrote:
Libertybelle2012 wrote:
Wow, I always think it's funny when some people who are not in to something always point fingers at others as being extremists

Wow, I always think it's funny when some people who are extremists point fingers at others who don't agree with their extremism and say they don't believe in ____________ at all.
+1
Some people will make an argument out of anything.

The real test will be when and if the church asks people to take their storage and place it in a bishop's storehouse.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Lizzy60 wrote:
Mark wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:I'm pretty sure Noah was considered an extreme prepper in the days before the flood....... ;)

Big difference there. The Lord directly commanded Noah to do what he did. Many extremist preppers I have come across are driven by fear and assumptions based on perceived world conditions. More often than not they are dead wrong in their catastrophic prediction time table. Obviously in those cases fear was driving their predictions. The Lord does not operate out of fear.
Perhaps some are driven out of fear, and perhaps there are also others, (who you may judge as looking beyond the mark), who have received revelation from God to prepare in an "extreme" way, and it's really not up to you to judge who is who, if they are outside your immediate stewardship.
Name a few.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:I note that some Church members consider promoting Liberty in light of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, including knowledge of the American Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution, the proper role of government, principles of freedom, political news, current events, secret combinations (conspiracy), and "last days" prophecy to be going "beyond the mark".
Perhaps it is called "missing the mark."

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mmm..cheese wrote:I know. I can name 5 talks off the top of my head about self-reliance and how I need to have a fish farm under my house.
Make it "aquaponics" and have fish and fresh veggies simultaneously.

For example: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/guide ... quaponics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

harakim wrote:I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.
Here's what the Church says about our food storage being at the "bishop's discretion".

He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others."

That quote comes from here: https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd say a request to share is more likely than not. That's why I got extra.

As for the modifier "extreme," it's an individual matter. The price of a year's supply in the link below is $1,750. That's just 1,600/day for 1 person. Do you think you and your family could live on that?
http://beprepared.com/food-storage/one- ... upply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some people can buy 10 of those without blinking. For others, spending $100 on food they won't immediately eat is difficult to impossible. I remember President Hinckley saying that we should take advantage of the good years to prepare for the lean. Now the day of reckoning is inescapable it seems.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

harakim wrote:I have thought a lot about it and I do think it could be that we are supposed to put all our food and supplies at the bishop's discretion. However, unless I felt strongly it was the right thing to do, I would not. I know several other people in my ward would not do it. I think it would mainly be the people with little supplies. This is actually a topic I think about a lot. I think a lot of unprepared people are also counting on this.
If I have 365 meals worth of food for one person, it would only last 1 meal for 365 people. There is no way people who have prepared will have remotely enough for those who have not. The only way to survive is for everyone to prepare for their own household, and then sharing will become a multiplier. Nevertheless, I will share if God asks me to, because I do trust that He will multiply it if He wants us alive.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Juliet wrote:
If I have 365 meals worth of food for one person, it would only last 1 meal for 365 people. There is no way people who have prepared will have remotely enough for those who have not. The only way to survive is for everyone to prepare for their own household, and then sharing will become a multiplier. Nevertheless, I will share if God asks me to, because I do trust that He will multiply it if He wants us alive.
Just to clarify, are you saying that you will share if God asks you to through your bishop?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Silver wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Just to clarify, are you saying that you will share if God asks you to through your bishop? [/quote]

Yes, primarily as the Holy Spirit directs, though. If the Bishop asked me to share and I had serious misgivings about it, I would make sure and council with my husband and bishop to make sure I felt right about it first. I don't think it is right to give anything, including service in a church calling, unless you feel right about it, and if you don't, you should council with the Bishop until you are sure it is the right thing to do. We all have carnal sides, and I find it effective to lay my fears out there where wise people can help me get over myself, or even vice versa as needed. It isn't good to be alone.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

We're commanded to be prepared for all things but my concern is that I think the members has shifted to being prepared temporally more than spiritually. We can have all the food, water, tents, guns and tanks .... and we would totally STILL miss the boat because we weren't prepared spiritually. If I had to choose between the two -- I would rather be prepared spiritually.

We should be more focused getting closer to Christ (and bringing more souls unto Him) and to actually get to KNOW HIM. With feeling and not with words. All the other stuff comes with it as we go along.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Juliet wrote:
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

1st Timothy 5:8

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

LdsMarco wrote:We're commanded to be prepared for all things but my concern is that I think the members has shifted to being prepared temporally more than spiritually. We can have all the food, water, tents, guns and tanks .... and we would totally STILL miss the boat because we weren't prepared spiritually. If I had to choose between the two -- I would rather be prepared spiritually.

We should be more focused getting closer to Christ (and bringing more souls unto Him) and to actually get to KNOW HIM. With feeling and not with words. All the other stuff comes with it as we go along.
The two concepts are not exclusive.

By the way, did not Noah slam the doors of his boat shut? Did he make any attempts to save anyone once the upheavals began?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Fiannan wrote:
LdsMarco wrote:We're commanded to be prepared for all things but my concern is that I think the members has shifted to being prepared temporally more than spiritually. We can have all the food, water, tents, guns and tanks .... and we would totally STILL miss the boat because we weren't prepared spiritually. If I had to choose between the two -- I would rather be prepared spiritually.

By the way, did not Noah slam the doors of his boat shut? Did he make any attempts to save anyone once the upheavals began?
Do you mind if I edit your comment slightly? I think it is significant to see the actual verse in Genesis 7.
16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.

Noah didn't slam the door. God did.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

You may be correct. I do think that families that are poor, yet the parents are righteous and God fearing, these will have blessing of receiving sustenance during hardship. I also think that the hardhearted, the ones that could care less about preparations and doing right, even to the point of mooching off of others...may be left out. It could be in similitude of people getting temple recommends, some do and some don't. Just my opinion.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Since most members are on different spiritual levels, who is going to judge the weak against the strong? And the saints are told to be charitable, right? So, the giving to the less spiritual is the right thing to do. I see a difference between being humble and contrite over being haughty and self serving. Blessed are the poor in spirit...this is where the strong can help the weak to survive. Then the weak can become stronger through the set example, and new friends can be made.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:

Was he supposed to when everyone else, other than he and the other seven, were wicked and doomed?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:
Juliet wrote:
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

1st Timothy 5:8
And your point is?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Silver wrote:
Fiannan wrote:

Do you mind if I edit your comment slightly? I think it is significant to see the actual verse in Genesis 7.
16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.

:ymapplause:

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Silver wrote:
Fiannan wrote:

Yip, plagues, bad weather, lack of fuel can leave people trapped in their houses, there is also a callout possibility - that will leave the unprepared with nowhere to beg.

Pres. Benson did not think that everyone shares and then starves together........
"Should the Lord decide at this time to cleanse the Church - and the need for that cleansing seems to be increasing - a famine in this land of one year's duration could wipe out a large percentage of slothful members including some ward and stake officers. Yet we cannot say we have not been warned." Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 265.
"'And there shall arise after them seven years of famine ... And God will shortly bring it to pass.' Now brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But, I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order ... avoid debt to the extent possible. Pay off debt as quickly as you can, and free yourselves from bondage... There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give head. We are carrying a message of self reliance throughout the Church... I urge you brethren to look to the condition of our finances..." Gordon B. Hinkley, October Conference 1998.
The best food storage is not in welfare grain elevators but in sealed cans and bottles in the homes of our people. What a gratifying thing it is to see cans of wheat and rice and beans under the beds or in the pantries of women who have taken welfare responsibility into their own hands. Such food may not be tasty, but it will be nourishing if it has to be used.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley)
"How on the face of the earth could a man enjoy his religion when he had been told by the Lord how to prepare for a day of famine, when instead of doing so he had fooled away that which would have sustained him and his family." George Albert Smith, Deseret News, Mar. 4, 1868, 26

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I agree with spaced out above, except the call out part.

I don't see us "pooling" our food in the bishop's storehouse.

I can forsee a bishop/stake president asking for "fast offerings" from individual families to help those in need. Very similar to our current system, but it would be actual foodstuffs being donated.

Boyd K. Packer from his book The Holy Temple. He points out whose responsibility it is to store food and be prepared.

Consider this comparison. In the welfare program we have been counseled for generations by the leaders of the Church to secure for ourselves a year's supply of food and clothing, and if possible fuel, and to be concerned for our shelter. This is a responsibility laid upon the individual memebers of the Church, upon each family. The commodities are to be stored at home. They are to be privately purchased, privately stored, and in time of crisis privately used.

It is not ever suggested that because we have bishop's storehouses there would be no need for individual families to maintain their year's supply. The counsel for the individual to protect himself and his family has never been withdrawn. It has been continually emphasized.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:How many members are willing to give their supply to be placed in a bishop's storehouse if requested to do so?
This would be an incredibly difficult request for me to honor. There are very few, if any, poor people in my ward. EVERY family, even the poor ones, can afford to build up a decent food storage over one year but most refuse to do so. Too many of them have the attitude that I will just bend over backwards for them and happily let my family starve as I keep the freeloaders fat and happy, meanwhile they waste large sums of money extravagantly doing so many of the things that I have always wanted to do but have not been able to afford thus far in life.

I really don't know that I could give up my supply if the Bishop asked. Therefore I hope that it happens. The blessings of facing that trial and overcoming my resistance to the request would be tremendous!

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

How's this for a summary of this thread so far:
The Church has duly and patiently warned us for generations to prepare every needful thing. The Church has counseled us to not go into debt for those items. Elder Cook has now wisely warned us to not go to extremes in our preparations. However, whether on an individual basis or for the active membership as a whole, there will clearly come a day when the Bridegroom closes the door to some and a series of Millennial events begins. It will then be everlastingly too late to prepare. However, the Lord, in His mercy, tells us that we may find ourselves supporting a bishop, who, as a common judge in Israel, will know who should receive assistance beyond the point when all preparations should have been completed. We have every right to confirm for ourselves through the Gift of the Holy Ghost that the bishop is inspired in his request. If he is, we better share. If we judge he is not inspired, we better be 110% certain of that.

It comes down to priorities. If any of you still reading have not yet prepared food, water and a financial reserve, what luxuries or unnecessary items can you eliminate or sell to get closer to obedience of this principle?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan...It's...
BarnStirringMoulage.gif
BarnStirringMoulage.gif (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2659 times
Time!
Last edited by freedomforall on October 5th, 2016, 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.