debt

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
jonubg
captain of 50

debt

Post by jonubg »

I have felt prompted to get completely out of debt. In other words if I am not out of debt in the next 6 months I could loose everything. So now it is time to start cutting the fat. get rid of all expenses that I don't really need. no more new car, cash out my house, cash out a lot of business equipment. work out of my house instead of my nice warehouse.

Also need to move out of L.A. but still be close enough to L.A. to run my business. I am thinking St. George. Any thoughts on where to relocate within driving distance of L.A.

thanks

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Re: debt

Post by Older/wiser? »

St. George sounds reasonable, you've made the decision to move acting on your impressions. Good steps, for me it seems that I meet someone or a property comes into my path and the correct move just opens up. I agree get out of debt, scale down. With today's brexit, the stock market down we might see continued long term changes. Debt is a chain to drag a person wherever it pleases, to do what she desires. I think that is your worse enemy. It seems you feel the prompting, and have the courage to do what it takes. For us doors opened up as to where to go, I thought it was for one reason, and have since realized it was also for another reason..can't tell you were to go , but I know someone who can.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I don't see how anyone can tell you where to go without knowing anything about you.
You could post an introduction including such things as who you are, where you came from, where you want to go and why (other than just 'out of L.A.) why you came to this forum, your education, your business, your family, etc.
And why there is a six month deadline on your life.
dc

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

jonubg,
Also need to move out of L.A. but still be close enough to L.A. to run my business. I am thinking St. George. Any thoughts on where to relocate within driving distance of L.A.
Do you mean St. George, Utah?

For about a little more than a year, when I lived in Florida, I lived in Jupiter and commuted to Miami Beach. It was 81 miles each way, for a total of 162 miles each day. I thought that was a long commute. You're looking at 345 miles each way, you have an interesting idea of commuting distance.

Regards,

George Clay

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Geo.
I know somebody who does it. Actually to Palmdale/Lancaster.
However he trades shifts and accumulates his time, so he works 9 days, then is home for two weeks, or something like that.
And commutes on a motorcycle.
dc

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Realistically St. George is obviously not within close driving distance to LA :D
Of course it depends on how often you need to drive there. :)

It was always the time to get out of debt, and never the time to get into debt.
jonubg wrote:I have felt prompted to get completely out of debt. In other words if I am not out of debt in the next 6 months I could loose everything. So now it is time to start cutting the fat. get rid of all expenses that I don't really need. no more new car, cash out my house, cash out a lot of business equipment. work out of my house instead of my nice warehouse.

thanks

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote:For about a little more than a year, when I lived in Florida, I lived in Jupiter and commuted to Miami Beach. It was 81 miles each way, for a total of 162 miles each day. I thought that was a long commute. You're looking at 345 miles each way, you have an interesting idea of commuting distance.
In a Cessna 182 you are looking at just over two hours from St. George to Burbank, Van Nuys, or Santa Monica.

I also feel like now is the time to get out of California, and I wish my friends and relatives felt the same way. But, in addition to St. George, you could also consider Phoenix or cities in the Las Vegas area are also worth considering. I wouldn't want to live in either location - I don't want to live anywhere reliant on transported water or air conditioning - but I have known people who lived in those areas and love it. Laughlin, NV / Bullhead City AZ, Needles, CA, and Lake Havasu, AZ are closer to Los Angeles than St. George - but you'll have a much longer drive to a temple. The Las Vegas temple is something in the neighborhood of a five hour round trip.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I too have felt the push to get debt free as soon as possible. We are very seriously considering selling our house and buying one about half its size with half the mortgage payment in a more humble neighborhood. The challenge is finding a cheaper house in an area that is still relatively safe, has enough amenities for comfort, and is not too far away from a temple.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Matchmaker wrote:I too have felt the push to get debt free as soon as possible. We are very seriously considering selling our house and buying one about half its size with half the mortgage payment in a more humble neighborhood. The challenge is finding a cheaper house in an area that is still relatively safe, has enough amenities for comfort, and is not too far away from a temple.

Safety is relative...if it really blows...West Valley would roll over Park City in a day or two.

Which is why we need repentance and purple spots...latter for the former...

Best protection comes from above...

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

brianj,
In a Cessna 182 you are looking at just over two hours from St. George to Burbank, Van Nuys, or Santa Monica.
I lived in St. George in the early 70's before I-15 to Mesquite was complete. It was a pleasant small town of about 8,000 people, smaller than Cedar City. The Airport was had a unicom, and was staffed part time. usually VFR was required, and I used to joke that it had 2 runways 36 and 18 (as a pilot you would get the joke). I had a good friend who lived in a trailer parked at the airport and got free electricity if he would fuel planes that came in after hours.

St. George has changed in the 45 years or so since I lived there. It now has a population of about 100,000, and I am sure the airport is also much more sophisticated. For me 80,000 people is too crowded, but after living in LA, it might seem to be a small city to you.
A city growing to 10X it's size even in 40+ years is still pretty dramatic growth. St. George, or Utah's little Dixie, is a very popular place to move to, because it is about the only valley low enough for warm temperate climate. I don't know how this massive growth has effected either crime or the strain on utilities such as water. St. George IS a desert, and unlike here in Pennsylvania, you can't just look to the sky for water.

Of course if you are willing to move to St. George, it would be nothing to move to one of the many towns around it like Hurricane, or La Verkin. Because of the popularity of St. George, these towns are rapidly growing also. I'm sure there is no perfect safety anywhere, but I'm sure that St. George is not as crime riddled as LA, and I think you will find an even more LDS centered culture if you were to look at some of the areas around St. George..... maybe even Cedar City.

Regards,

George Clay

PS Hurricane also has an Airport.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Matchmaker wrote:I too have felt the push to get debt free as soon as possible. We are very seriously considering selling our house and buying one about half its size with half the mortgage payment in a more humble neighborhood. The challenge is finding a cheaper house in an area that is still relatively safe, has enough amenities for comfort, and is not too far away from a temple.

I think you've felt that way for a while, you haven't stated if schools are a priority, or how far you want to go out of the area. If your past the kids in school age and have options as to were you can go, some of these small towns in Idaho have cheaper houses you can fix up and flip or just live in. We did that worked out well. Look at your banks for reo's (repossessed) or course you would have to sell your house first and have some working capital. From a real estate point of view. Location, location , location. Look for the smallest home in a good neighbor hood, a house with extra land attached (in more rural areas you find this) sell the land pay off mortgage. House with a rental or walk out basement that can be turned into a rental. Hope I haven't spoken out of turn, but those are ideas we have used. Good luck and don't give up, follow your inspiration.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote:brianj,
I lived in St. George in the early 70's before I-15 to Mesquite was complete. It was a pleasant small town of about 8,000 people, smaller than Cedar City. The Airport was had a unicom, and was staffed part time. usually VFR was required, and I used to joke that it had 2 runways 36 and 18 (as a pilot you would get the joke). I had a good friend who lived in a trailer parked at the airport and got free electricity if he would fuel planes that came in after hours.
I have been into that airport in a Cessna 172 and a Learjet 35A. The airport was a lot of fun on that bluff on the west side of the city, giving the best view I have seen on approach to any airport I have flown into. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room for growth so the airport was closed after a new one was built six or so miles southeast.
St. George has changed in the 45 years or so since I lived there. It now has a population of about 100,000, and I am sure the airport is also much more sophisticated. For me 80,000 people is too crowded, but after living in LA, it might seem to be a small city to you.
A city growing to 10X it's size even in 40+ years is still pretty dramatic growth. St. George, or Utah's little Dixie, is a very popular place to move to, because it is about the only valley low enough for warm temperate climate. I don't know how this massive growth has effected either crime or the strain on utilities such as water. St. George IS a desert, and unlike here in Pennsylvania, you can't just look to the sky for water.

Of course if you are willing to move to St. George, it would be nothing to move to one of the many towns around it like Hurricane, or La Verkin. Because of the popularity of St. George, these towns are rapidly growing also. I'm sure there is no perfect safety anywhere, but I'm sure that St. George is not as crime riddled as LA, and I think you will find an even more LDS centered culture if you were to look at some of the areas around St. George..... maybe even Cedar City.

Regards,

George Clay

PS Hurricane also has an Airport.

One added benefit of living in Utah is the one church policy I most strongly disagree with. If you live anywhere else in the world, if that place happens to be within the assigned district of a new temple, you get to participate in the dedication - otherwise forget about eve seeing a temple dedicated. But if you live anywhere in Utah, you get to participate in the dedication of every single temple built in the state.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I've driven from St George to LA.
It's a very long way and takes a very long time.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote:I've driven from St George to LA.
Not really. I do it in one day on my motorcycle with no problem. And that would be a short ride for most of the other motorcycle riders.
I drove it today before lunch time and on up to Richfield before dinner time. That's where I am now.
dc

It is too far to communte unless you work a month on then a few weeks off. That's how the only one I know who does it works.

Actually, I just thought of another guy who lives in Utah, just south of SLC and still owns and runs a business in Los Angeles. He comes to the business maybe once or twice a month.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Older/wiser? wrote:

I think you've felt that way for a while, you haven't stated if schools are a priority, or how far you want to go out of the area. If your past the kids in school age and have options as to were you can go, some of these small towns in Idaho have cheaper houses you can fix up and flip or just live in. We did that worked out well. Look at your banks for reo's (repossessed) or course you would have to sell your house first and have some working capital. From a real estate point of view. Location, location , location. Look for the smallest home in a good neighbor hood, a house with extra land attached (in more rural areas you find this) sell the land pay off mortgage. House with a rental or walk out basement that can be turned into a rental. Hope I haven't spoken out of turn, but those are ideas we have used. Good luck and don't give up, follow your inspiration.
I'm retirement age. No concern with the school system anymore. Idaho is indeed high on our list. I just want to be near a temple and in a predominately LDS community. Maybe around Idaho Falls. I considered Manti before but there are too few houses in my price range to choose between.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Robin Hood wrote:I've driven from St George to LA.
;)
It's all in the velocity you travel at...and how you define "a very long time".

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Any journey lasting more than 45 minutes is long as far as I'm concerned.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Robin Hood wrote:Any journey lasting more than 45 minutes is long as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah...in trouble at Barstow. Back in the day San Diego to Vegas in 2-2 1/2 hrs...but by your metric a long journey. And despite exhilarating...when the leg cramps kick in...it gets old quick!

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

I remember back 45 years or so when I lived in St. George, the speed limit in Nevada was "Whatever was safe and prudent", Me and my 68 Dodge Super Bee thought that between 140 mph and 150 mph was safe and prudent. Californians, who were used to a 70 mph speed limit, used to kick it up to 90 mph. I loved seeing the look on their faces as I passed them going 50-60 m[h faster than they did.

Of course, I rarely went past Las Vegas.. what was the point.

I suppose even at 150 mph, it would take a long time to get to LA...especially when you had to slow down at the California border.

ohhh.. for the good old days of muscle cars and long straight highways with no speed limit :)

Regards,

George Clay

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Robin Hood wrote:Any journey lasting more than 45 minutes is long as far as I'm concerned.

It's an interesting perspective coming from Britain or Europe to the Western US. You can drive through five countries in Europe in the time it takes to travel from SLC to LA

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Vision,

I was working with some Germans here in Pa, who thought it might be a nice weekend entertainment to visit Miami, Dallas and LA. Even by air that is not really attainable. I was surprised when it looked like I was going to do some work in Germany, that they recommended that I visit Paris and London over the weekend.

I guess neither one of us understands the other. They don't understand how far away everything here is, and we don't understand how close together everything there is.

Regards,

George Clay

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on December 13th, 2016, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

gclayjr wrote:
Of course, I rarely went past Las Vegas.. what was the point.

George Clay

To pass Las Vegas.
My rule is, I never stop in Las Vegas.
dc