So if you believe things might "Hit the fan " what are you doing?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: So if you believe things might "Hit the fan " what are you doing?

Post by brianj »

Normally I never carry cash, preferring debit or credit transactions. But, just in case what I heard two days ago happens, I'm keeping some cash on hand for the next week.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

lundbaek wrote:I envision us having to feed our entire neighborhood. I also envision local government authorities, backed up by law enforcement authorities, impounding stored food from those who have it and and redistributing it.

I am acquainted with several families that have a "retreat" of various sorts up in "them thar hills" where they think they can hold out agains whatever and whoever as long as they will need to.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I have often thought about whether I would be willing to help feed those in my Ward (neighborhood) who didn't bother to prepare? I kind of think the Ward's would mobilize and perhaps live similar to the law of consecration to make sure everybody is taken care of. I would willingly do this BUT if the government were to come and take I would be mad!

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

brianj wrote:Normally I never carry cash, preferring debit or credit transactions. But, just in case what I heard two days ago happens, I'm keeping some cash on hand for the next week.
I've been traveling through Texas, and gone for awhile so I may have missed some things, but I am curious as to what you heard two days ago. I do have cash at home, but what are you thinking could happen. My son said if there is ever a run on t h e banks or a major incident you have 72 hrs. To get to where you want or need to be, then martial law would lock travel down.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Older/wiser? wrote:
brianj wrote:Normally I never carry cash, preferring debit or credit transactions. But, just in case what I heard two days ago happens, I'm keeping some cash on hand for the next week.
I've been traveling through Texas, and gone for awhile so I may have missed some things, but I am curious as to what you heard two days ago. I do have cash at home, but what are you thinking could happen. My son said if there is ever a run on t h e banks or a major incident you have 72 hrs. To get to where you want or need to be, then martial law would lock travel down.
For some time now we've heard claims that at some point in time a manufactured crisis will happen wherein electronic transactions (credit, debit, EBT) will not work for a period of time. I have come across non-LDS Christians and conspiracy theorists making this claim.

On Wednesday Julie Rowe gave another radio interview wherein she claimed that we will see this happening on Black Friday. I have no reason to believe that this really will happen, but better safe than sorry.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

One of my ex-Bishops told us to always keep some cash available at home and never let our gas tanks go below 1/2.

I think it was the prepper, James Wesley Rawles, who said that for a short time after an emergency takes place, cash will be king, at least until the rest of the people wake up and realize how quickly the value of paper money can go down.

A man from NYC said he always keeps 2 wallets around - 1 to give the burglars and the other that contains his real stash.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Matchmaker wrote:One of my ex-Bishops told us to always keep some cash available at home and never let our gas tanks go below 1/2.

I think it was the prepper, James Wesley Rawles, who said that for a short time after an emergency takes place, cash will be king, at least until the rest of the people wake up and realize how quickly the value of paper money can go down.

A man from NYC said he always keeps 2 wallets around - 1 to give the burglars and the other that contains his real stash.
I agree with the half a tank rule, but not for the reason most preppers I hear giving that advice. If you have two vehicles, each with at least half a tank, they say you can siphon gas from one vehicle to have a full tank in the other vehicle. But modern cars have an anti-rollover valve to prevent gas from leaking in a rollover, with the side effect of preventing siphoning gas. And modern gas tanks do not have drain valves on the bottom. So with half a tank I could get 200 miles away from here, but any more is going to require a refill from a gas station or a nail, hammer, and container to drain fuel from another car.

I have always heard the advice to have money available, but I don't recall a church leader ever suggesting cash in the house.

I used to live in an area where pickpocketing was common. I had a nice, fat wallet full of nothing in my back pocket and a slim, elongated wallet in my front left pocket. Now that I keep a cell phone in that pocket I don't know what I would do if I had to carry a bait wallet again.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Bought two #10 cans of egg powder wich equals 144 eggs. Not a full years supply but better than nothing.

The day after I ordered them, my wife told me that when shtf, I needed to pick up a lot of eggs. I hadn't told her about ordering the egg powder.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

paulrobots wrote:Bought two #10 cans of egg powder wich equals 144 eggs. Not a full years supply but better than nothing.

The day after I ordered them, my wife told me that when shtf, I needed to pick up a lot of eggs. I hadn't told her about ordering the egg powder.
Where did you get them? What's the shelf life for those cans? And how much were they?

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Walmart online has the Emergency Essentials brand for the same price, but it wouldn't let me check out. I wasn't sure if it was their site or my card. $25/#10 can is the best price I have found. Shelf life is ten years under ideal conditions.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Dried-Whole ... 0946901614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brianj wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Bought two #10 cans of egg powder wich equals 144 eggs. Not a full years supply but better than nothing.

Where did you get them? What's the shelf life for those cans? And how much were they?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I read somewhere that a person can preserve fresh eggs outside of a refrigerator for a significant amount of time by coating the shell with vegetable oil, or something like that. I need to read up on it as I cook with fresh eggs a lot.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Matchmaker wrote:I read somewhere that a person can preserve fresh eggs outside of a refrigerator for a significant amount of time by coating the shell with vegetable oil, or something like that. I need to read up on it as I cook with fresh eggs a lot.
I watched some videos on YouTube, one said the best way was to place eggs in a large crock and cover with a lime and water solution, they would be good for at least a year. I know matchmaker mentioned a toboggan to use in the winter, I also bought from Lowe's a large heavy duty garden wagon,( also the lime came from there) just in case I have to move things around. Waltons is located by me , they have a complete website and toll free number, I bought eggs from them once , I also have freeze dried them.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The best long term egg solution is a friend with chickens. At this time that's the only solution for me.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Older/wiser? wrote:
Matchmaker wrote:I read somewhere that a person can preserve fresh eggs outside of a refrigerator for a significant amount of time by coating the shell with vegetable oil, or something like that. I need to read up on it as I cook with fresh eggs a lot.
I watched some videos on YouTube, one said the best way was to place eggs in a large crock and cover with a lime and water solution, they would be good for at least a year. I know matchmaker mentioned a toboggan to use in the winter, I also bought from Lowe's a large heavy duty garden wagon,( also the lime came from there) just in case I have to move things around. Waltons is located by me , they have a complete website and toll free number, I bought eggs from them once , I also have freeze dried them.
I think the heavy duty garden wagon is a great idea! Some of them even have all-terrain tires. I am going to buy one or two. They are modern-day substitutes for the old hand-cart pulled by the pioneers. They would come in handy if we had to transport supplies without a car.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Bob Henstra's thread... keep the eggs in mineral oil, I think. (Boil first?)

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

JohnnyL wrote:
Bob Henstra's thread... keep the eggs in mineral oil, I think. (Boil first?)
There was a solution sold years ago used to preserve raw eggs (for several months) called waterglass. Search that on the Internet and I think you'll get your answer.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

I bought 3 used but in good shape propane tanks on craigslist for $8 each. The local Ag store fills tanks for 9.99 on Tuesdays. 3 new, full tanks would have cost me $150.

The only thing I have that runs on propane is my bbq grill. My thinking is we may have to use it to cook if the power goes out for an extended time.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Egg powder on sale for cyber monday, $18.99 for #10 cans. This is a great deal from Emergency Essentials. 10 year shelf life, stock up if you can.

http://beprepared.com/cyber-monday?oc=I ... 0-%20Daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Bought three buckets of white flour. Flour is pretty cheap, and this wasn't, but by the time you add the buckets, mylar bags and trying to figure out how to seal them, I figured it wasn't too bad. We will buy flour at the store untill we can't. I still believe we will be using the flour out of these buckets well before the 20 year shelf life expires.

I hope I'm not the only one still checking this thread. :-\

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I think I have figured out away to mess with my kids. My parents just did this to me so I think I'm going to make it a family tradition. The folks are moving in with my sister, it was my opportunity to clear out the food storage room, so with the flat bed in tow we headed down to Kaysville. We loaded and loaded ,we parked in the neighbors driveway had to take the truck to get repaired , burned out the barrings driving down..($1,000. Repair job) but we do what we have to. We were so loaded, parked up here the two of us unloaded 4 days later I am happy to report we are both still alive. We had wheat from the 70's cases and cases of stuff .I opened some dehydrated stew blend, cooked it up ,it was still palatable, of course I think you would have to be hungry, I will give that to my neighbors with the big boat. It's a good thing we have a big building cause we are bursting at the seams. Our friend who was going thru a divorce lived with us for a year. Moved out a few months ago and abandoned the divided food storage, it was newer than my folks, so my attitude is if the Lord drops it in your lap you take care of it. I will be carting that to the basement for the next few days. I suggest you have good quality dollies, and things to help move the cargo, just in case, it gets heavy moving stuff. So yes my tradition will be, if my kids want the real estate, if we haven't used this stuff, then guess who gets to come get it . On the lighter fun side I bought a Honda EU 2000 companion inverter generator, with a moving cart. It hooks up to my other Honda generator, oh I mean the one that my son seems to have borrowed (taken ownership, inherited, if you have kids you know what I mean). So I can say I have acquired alot this month, I wonder if that in itself means anything , other than I am crazy ( like a Fox). Well these abandoned canned hams with homemade wheat bread and fresh sprouts might be considered comfort food. So we've been working on it whether we want to or not. Keep on working at it Paulrobots your in good company.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Lately, got some tools for my recently married son. Gotta have a hammer. Even the kind that lets you pound nails at 200 yards...if you know what I mean.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Silver wrote:Lately, got some tools for my recently married son. Gotta have a hammer. Even the kind that lets you pound nails at 200 yards...if you know what I mean.
I thought they called that a tack driver. :)

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I bought some books and built an almost 10 foot shelf to house them. Perhaps "some" is not the correct word.

SouEu
captain of 50

Post by SouEu »

I have a 'few' chickens. Eggs have a natural oxygen barrier and can sit outside of a refrigerator for a number of months. It's best to store them pointy side down.

Most other countries don't refrigerate their eggs. The eggs that you buy in the store in the United States have been washed and scrubbed and the oxygen barrier scrubbed off, so, of course those would need to be refrigerated.

I have chickens that lay more eggs than I can possibly eat. I dehydrate a lot of the eggs and most of them I store in a cool, dry place outside of the refrigerator. If I think that they may not be eaten within a few months, then I will rub them with mineral oil, and they should be good for over 6 months outside of the fridge.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

SouEu wrote:
I have a 'few' chickens. Eggs have a natural oxygen barrier and can sit outside of a refrigerator for a number of months. It's best to store them pointy side down.

Most other countries don't refrigerate their eggs. The eggs that you buy in the store in the United States have been washed and scrubbed and the oxygen barrier scrubbed off, so, of course those would need to be refrigerated.

I have chickens that lay more eggs than I can possibly eat. I dehydrate a lot of the eggs and most of them I store in a cool, dry place outside of the refrigerator. If I think that they may not be eaten within a few months, then I will rub them with mineral oil, and they should be good for over 6 months outside of the fridge.
Thank you. I've wondered why eggs need to be refrigerated.
How do you dehydrate eggs, and how do you reconstitute them?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Just listened to Pres. Bensons 1980 talk "prepare for the days of tribulation". Very interesting and powerful, a good reminder on the principle of self reliance . It is so much more than just storing food , the principle stresses independence, resourcefulness, strength of character, to not be under obligation to anyone or any organization . To be independent, I liked the ending which is the churchs welfare program is to help us be independent. Because of this talk and His counseling I have strived the last 37 yrs to be independent. Thank goodness the " day of tribulations" has yet to come as it has taken me this long to achieve it.