So if you believe things might "Hit the fan " what are you doing?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
paulrobots
captain of 100

Re: So if you believe things might "Hit the fan " what are you doing?

Post by paulrobots »

Silver wrote:Lately, got some tools for my recently married son. Gotta have a hammer. Even the kind that lets you pound nails at 200 yards...if you know what I mean.
I thought they called that a tack driver. :)

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I bought some books and built an almost 10 foot shelf to house them. Perhaps "some" is not the correct word.

SouEu
captain of 50

Post by SouEu »

Matchmaker wrote:I read somewhere that a person can preserve fresh eggs outside of a refrigerator for a significant amount of time by coating the shell with vegetable oil, or something like that. I need to read up on it as I cook with fresh eggs a lot.
I have a 'few' chickens. Eggs have a natural oxygen barrier and can sit outside of a refrigerator for a number of months. It's best to store them pointy side down.

Most other countries don't refrigerate their eggs. The eggs that you buy in the store in the United States have been washed and scrubbed and the oxygen barrier scrubbed off, so, of course those would need to be refrigerated.

I have chickens that lay more eggs than I can possibly eat. I dehydrate a lot of the eggs and most of them I store in a cool, dry place outside of the refrigerator. If I think that they may not be eaten within a few months, then I will rub them with mineral oil, and they should be good for over 6 months outside of the fridge.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

SouEu wrote:
Matchmaker wrote:I read somewhere that a person can preserve fresh eggs outside of a refrigerator for a significant amount of time by coating the shell with vegetable oil, or something like that. I need to read up on it as I cook with fresh eggs a lot.
I have a 'few' chickens. Eggs have a natural oxygen barrier and can sit outside of a refrigerator for a number of months. It's best to store them pointy side down.

Most other countries don't refrigerate their eggs. The eggs that you buy in the store in the United States have been washed and scrubbed and the oxygen barrier scrubbed off, so, of course those would need to be refrigerated.

I have chickens that lay more eggs than I can possibly eat. I dehydrate a lot of the eggs and most of them I store in a cool, dry place outside of the refrigerator. If I think that they may not be eaten within a few months, then I will rub them with mineral oil, and they should be good for over 6 months outside of the fridge.
Thank you. I've wondered why eggs need to be refrigerated.
How do you dehydrate eggs, and how do you reconstitute them?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Just listened to Pres. Bensons 1980 talk "prepare for the days of tribulation". Very interesting and powerful, a good reminder on the principle of self reliance . It is so much more than just storing food , the principle stresses independence, resourcefulness, strength of character, to not be under obligation to anyone or any organization . To be independent, I liked the ending which is the churchs welfare program is to help us be independent. Because of this talk and His counseling I have strived the last 37 yrs to be independent. Thank goodness the " day of tribulations" has yet to come as it has taken me this long to achieve it.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Bought this book. I figure I'll hand it off to the paramedic in our ward.

https://www.amazon.com/Special-Operatio ... l+handbook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Matchmaker wrote:
Older/wiser? wrote:
I watched some videos on YouTube, one said the best way was to place eggs in a large crock and cover with a lime and water solution, they would be good for at least a year. I know matchmaker mentioned a toboggan to use in the winter, I also bought from Lowe's a large heavy duty garden wagon,( also the lime came from there) just in case I have to move things around. Waltons is located by me , they have a complete website and toll free number, I bought eggs from them once , I also have freeze dried them.
I think the heavy duty garden wagon is a great idea! Some of them even have all-terrain tires. I am going to buy one or two. They are modern-day substitutes for the old hand-cart pulled by the pioneers. They would come in handy if we had to transport supplies without a car.
Or if you're a traditionalist: https://customwagonwheels.com/product/m ... and-carts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for me, I bought two goats from guy at my door for some reason I don't know.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

harakim wrote: Or if you're a traditionalist: https://customwagonwheels.com/product/m ... and-carts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sentence, ("I bought two goats from [a] guy at my door for some reason I don't know") put a smile on my face. Is this a common occurrence where you live; door to door goat salesmen? I thought I lived in a strange community, I even have a neighbour with goats and I think she's been at my door with her goats in the past but she's never tried to sell them to me. I can't get this picture out of my head, I'm sure I'll be seeing it later tonight in my sleep. And tomorrow I'll probably be able to tell you what the guy looked like and the breed of goats. Thanks H.
Last edited by dlbww on January 7th, 2017, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

dlbww wrote:
harakim wrote: Or if you're a traditionalist: https://customwagonwheels.com/product/m ... and-carts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sentence, ("I bought two goats from [a] guy at my door for some reason I don't know") put a smile on my face. Is this a common occurrence where you live; door to door goat salesmen? I thought I lived in a strange community, I even have a neighbour with goats and I think she's been at my door with her goats in the past but she's never tried to sell them to me. I can't get this picture out of my head, I'll probably be seeing it later tonight in my sleep. Thanks H.
This was no common occurrence. He was trying to offload his goats because he was moving and I was like "Goats?? Yeah, I was going to buy those one time. Why not now?" Conversely, this impulse buying of surprise food storage items is not uncommon.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

It sounds like you know the reason why the guy was selling and why you purchased the goats. But I sure enjoyed wondering about some guy at your door...

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

At the meta level though, why do I need goats? I was going to buy them once but things have changed. Kind of hoping for GAS now so I can unload those goats at a huge profit.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Got a sales email on Redfeather canned butter. I have always wanted to try it, ordered 10 cans. The thought of having real butter that can sit on your shelf for 5 years is great. It gets great reviews and I have some of the canned cheese that is also made in New Zealand, it's good stuff.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

This has been the worse winter here in at least 12-15 years, on a personal note Dec. 8 we woke up to flooding , a broken pipe on the 3rd floor, as we walked down the hall is was "Singing in the Rain" in biblical proportions. The basement all least 1ft. There went Christmas. Demolition started , try hauling frozen carpet away. The cold weather the mounds of snow 16ft in front were plows left it in front of my driveway. The problem for the last few weeks has been getting to the farm ,about 7 miles away, trying to get up the unplowed road, tried snowmobiles, they got stuck , could hardly get them out. I bought old skies we mounted them on a pallet walked threw chest deep snow got Daisy and took her down the hill to a neighbors ,I park her there, hook her up each day to the pallet skies and each day drive her up to the barn feed the goats and other 5 Belgian horses, load up a bale for her drive down the hill ( occasionally get dumped replaced the skis twice, they get caught and break), finish feeding drive home the other day it took 4 hours. We have our chickens in town at our place all 23. Shovel a frozen trail, deal with frozen water collect more eggs than we can use , got 20 yesterday and that is just to care for the animals not us. What is my point you say? Well if there was no DI to buy skies, no gas for trucks, no water from the house plumbing, how hard would it be to take care of ourselves in this severe of a winter. We are blessed we could eat well, (fresh eggs are great) as long as I had at least 6 months chicken food. The things needed to survive the flood, the equipment breakage we are in more trouble than you can imagine. The batteries, medicines, equipment needed are overwhelming. We need to buy a cutter cart to get through the snow, snow shoes just to walk . This winter has been an eye opener, if you are struck with anything out of the ordinary and add extreme weather to the mix, it can take you down easily. Today we are shoveling the roof of the market, (found a few cracked beams) feeding animals, battling the cold (do you know how many pair of gloves we have gone through this month) so chores should be done by about 2pm. So if you really want to be prepared, I am sure most of us have enough food, but it is the other things that might make the difference, you have a generator, what about a case of oil for it? Gloves when your working hard they wear out fast , wool socks ,boots good ones , frost bite comes easy up here. I am realizing just how hard things can be with one or two uh oh didn't see that coming scenarios. Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and it takes a long time to be prepared for different things.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

What am I doing?

Since I'm in the auto industry, I'm watching vehicle inventories. Rising inventories are an indicator for a tapped-out consumer. Too much debt. Somebody on this forum is always saying that we are just starting seven years of prosperity. I'd say not.

I'm buying food. I heard too many stories of my father going hungry as a Depression-era baby. It was 1941 and he was 10 before he had his first taste of beef.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-0 ... ember-2007

See the link for all the graphics.

GM Auto Inventory Hits 10 Year High: Most Since November 2007, One Month Before The Recession Started

When we summarized yesterday's disappointing monthly car sales report, which badly missing expectations showing the fourth consecutive month of declining auto sales - the first time this has happened since July 2009 - we noted what may be the biggest concern for the auto industry: inventory days continued to trend higher as OEMs push product on to dealer lots even though sale-through to end customers has seemingly stalled.

We highlighted GM, one of the few OEMs to actually disclose dealer inventories in monthly sales releases, which reported that April inventories increased to 100 days (935,758 vehicles) from 98 days at the end of March and just 71 days (681,402 vehicles) in April 2016. Indicatlvely, analysts say an overall inventory level of 60 to 70 days is healthy. 100 is not.

Of course, GM management was eager to deflect attention from this troubling statistic, and said that soaring inventories are normal and, somehow, "reflect strong sales", as per the press release: "As planned, GM’s inventories reflect strong sales, lower car production and strategic, launch-related growth in truck and crossover stocks."

Or maybe not, because around the time of our post, Automotive News reported Nick Bunkley pointed out something troubling: with 935,758 unsold GM units collecting dust in dealer lots, this was the highest inventory number in 9.5 years, the highest since Nov. 2007, and, as Bunkley reminds us, "one month before the recession officially began."

Follow
Nick Bunkley ✔ @nickbunkley
GM inventories now at 9.5-year high. 935,758 units (100-day supply) is most since Nov. 2007, 1 month before the recession officially began.
9:54 AM - 2 May 2017
116 116 Retweets 123 123 likes
Here is what GM's auto inventory since emergency from bankruptcy looks like.

Will this time the GM inventory cycle indicator be different? With widespread operating shutdowns planned in the coming weeks, it better be, or else something is far more broken with the US consumer than even the paltry 0.7% GDP would suggest.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

For those of you who pay little attention to the main stream media, who don't bother tuning into nightly news, or remain focused on the shallow superficial stores of the day, then this nugget is for you.

Ten years ago Nancy Pelosi pushed forward the first trillion dollar deficit federal budget. And every year thereafter another trillion dollar budget deficit was passed.

Any idea why ten years is significant?

It's because 86% of federal debt is held in ten year T-bills. Due and payable ten years after issuing them.

So come October 1st, 2017; the first trillion borrowed (and spent) will be due to be paid.

Guess what?!? We'll still have to borrow another trillion and a half for next year's federal operating budget.

So come October, we'll have to roll over a trillion dollars worth of T-bills, and issue another trillion and a half for the coming fiscal year.

I wonder who will step up to the plate and buy the old debt made new, and who will buy the newest debt? At what interest rate?

It's not like we have a trillion in cash ready to payout for the T-bills coming due.

The sad part is every year for the next ten years, we will have another trillion to re-finance and a trillion and a half to raise to keep the swamp running per status quo.

Everyone who relies on the arm of flesh (capitalistic economy) will wake up wiped out from a bail-in, in which all savings are confiscated by the fed to try and keep the foregone disaster from happening.

Those out of debt will be in an enviable position, ready to reap other blessings from being obedient to prophetic counsel to get out of debt.

Sure we might weather this coming October first with cooking the books (once again), but the year after, or the year after that and kicking the can down the road will not provide any meaningful solution.

Babylon shall fall, and quickly shall be the effect with weeping and nashing of teeth.

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

I thought they (Fed) were going to just print more $1,000,000,000.00 Dollar bills.
We will only need a thousand or two of them!
Who's picture is on that denomination anyway?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BTH&T wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 4:02 pm I thought they (Fed) were going to just print more $1,000,000,000.00 Dollar bills.
Gadianton

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

Silver wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 4:40 pm
BTH&T wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 4:02 pm I thought they (Fed) were going to just print more $1,000,000,000.00 Dollar bills.
Gadianton
Is that a group shot?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I thought this quote by Dieter F. Uchdorf was applicable to this post , as a reminder to those trying to "get there houses in order",and it's truths apply on so many levels.

Like two sides of the coin, the temporal and spiritual are inseparable ...The giver of all life has proclaimed, " All things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal. D&C 29:34 unfortunately, there are those who overlook the temporal because they consider it less important. They treasure the spiritual while minimizing the temporal... The one complements the other . The one without the other is a counterfeit of God's plan of happiness... We must not turn aside our hearts or heads from becoming more self-reliant . The temporal is intertwined with the spiritual . God has given us this mortal experience in the temporal challenges that attend it as a laboratory so we can grow into the beings heavenly father wants us to become .

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

JK4Woods wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm For those of you who pay little attention to the main stream media, who don't bother tuning into nightly news, or remain focused on the shallow superficial stores of the day, then this nugget is for you.

Ten years ago Nancy Pelosi pushed forward the first trillion dollar deficit federal budget. And every year thereafter another trillion dollar budget deficit was passed.

Babylon shall fall, and quickly shall be the effect with weeping and nashing of teeth.
Yeah been watching the US auto industry - it is all unravelling.

More predictions of imminent economic collapse and it is in line with time frame....

Former Reagan Administration Official Is Warning Of A Financial Collapse Some Time ‘Between August And November’
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... d-november
Stockman
The market is pricing itself for perfection for all of eternity. This is crazy. . . . I think the market could easily drop to 1,600 or 1,300. It could drop by 40% or even more once the fantasy ends. When the government shows its true colors, that it’s headed for a fiscal blood bath when this crazy notion that there is going to be some Trump fiscal stimulus is put to rest once and for all. I mean it’s not going to happen. They can’t pass a tax cut that big without a budget resolution that incorporated $10 trillion or $15 trillion in debt over the next decade. It’s just not going to pass Congress. . . . I think this is the greatest sucker’s rally we have ever seen.”

The S&P 500 is going to drop by hundreds and hundreds of points sometime over the next few months as we drift into this unexpected crisis. . . . I would target sometime between August and November because that’s when the rubber is going to meet the road on a debt ceiling increase when they are out of cash. Washington is going to end up in vicious political conflict over what to do about the debt ceiling. . . . It is going to be one giant fiscal bloodbath the likes of which we have never seen.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

After watching this YT vid, I add a few extra bottles of vitamins. , something I had been meaning to do for a while. I liked his alternative to toilet paper - something to consider..

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

"If I knew the Lord was coming tomorrow I would plant a cherry tree today."

I forget which prophet made that statement.

I just spent a week in Germany on vacation. This week is Italy.

The Lord has blessed me with the ability to have fun too.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

mirkwood wrote: May 9th, 2017, 9:08 am "If I knew the Lord was coming tomorrow I would plant a cherry tree today."

I forget which prophet made that statement.

I just spent a week in Germany on vacation. This week is Italy.

The Lord has blessed me with the ability to have fun too.
Build those memories you are going to need them.

As for me prepping is fun - it is a kind of hobby.

DudeInZion
Hi, I'm new.

Post by DudeInZion »

I believe we need to be doing everything we can to destroy the natural man within us and become Christ-centered. The temporal preparedness is critical as far as being obedient to the counsel of our leaders. The spiritual preparedness will go a lot further when we start getting into the coming trials that we all must face. If our faith is not strong enough, how would we react if our leaders come to us one day and ask us to take only what we can load in our vehicles and go somewhere not as comfortable as our nice home, leave a good job, leave friends who may not be willing to go? I don't know if we will ever really be asked to do these things, but if you were asked, could you? I think our faith will be put to the test in many ways and we will succeed or fail on how well we are prepared both temporally and spiritually. We need to live our lives as though He isn't coming for some time, but be prepared as though He were coming tomorrow. We need to enjoy the many blessings we receive and share those blessings with those around us.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

JK4Woods wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm For those of you who pay little attention to the main stream media, who don't bother tuning into nightly news, or remain focused on the shallow superficial stores of the day, then this nugget is for you.

It's because 86% of federal debt is held in ten year T-bills. Due and payable ten years after issuing them.

So come October 1st, 2017; the first trillion borrowed (and spent) will be due to be paid.

Guess what?!? We'll still have to borrow another trillion and a half for next year's federal operating budget.

So come October, we'll have to roll over a trillion dollars worth of T-bills, and issue another trillion and a half for the coming fiscal year.

I wonder who will step up to the plate and buy the old debt made new, and who will buy the newest debt? At what interest rate?

It's not like we have a trillion in cash ready to payout for the T-bills coming due.

The sad part is every year for the next ten years, we will have another trillion to re-finance and a trillion and a half to raise to keep the swamp running per status quo.

Everyone who relies on the arm of flesh (capitalistic economy) will wake up wiped out from a bail-in, in which all savings are confiscated by the fed to try and keep the foregone disaster from happening.

Those out of debt will be in an enviable position, ready to reap other blessings from being obedient to prophetic counsel to get out of debt.

Sure we might weather this coming October first with cooking the books (once again), but the year after, or the year after that and kicking the can down the road will not provide any meaningful solution.

Just thought I'd bump this from four years ago.... if you have had a feeling of "un-ease" at all the Gov't spending lately, then this will open your eyes some...