"How to Make Pemmican –THE ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FOOD"

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

"How to Make Pemmican –THE ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FOOD"

Post by sushi_chef »

"A Return To The Old Paths: How To Make Pemmican Like The Native Americans
Invented by the natives of North America, pemmican was used by Indian scouts as well as early western explorers...."
http://www.bioprepper.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

search.php?keywords=pemmi*&terms=all&au ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:-B

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Re: "How to Make Pemmican –THE ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FOOD"

Post by cyclOps »

Pemmican is delicious.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Thank you , sushi_chef great info. , now if you'll just shou up and help me make it I'd be good.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

LDScop wrote:Pemmican is delicious.
To what would you compare the taste? Is it like jerky?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

It's been a long while since I've actually had some. It is a lot like jerky but a lot more moist and with an explosion of flavor.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

ah....its in amzon, "Bear-Valley-Pemmican..., ummmm, some says, "February 7, 2016 Sorry guys but pemmican is a real thing, and this isn't it, it's like coming out with brand of malt liquor and calling it "wine""

http://image.search.yahoo.co.jp/search? ... 0%20amazon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-B

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

LDScop wrote:It's been a long while since I've actually had some. It is a lot like jerky but a lot more moist and with an explosion of flavor.
I convinced the wife to let me buy some lard last weekend.... I know the directions say to cook at 150 degrees for something like 15 hours, but isn't that the same as what a food dehydrator would do? Apparently my sophisticated oven will only cook at 170+, but I also have a food dehydrator....

Not a cook by nature and hoping to avoid poisoning myself. :ymsick:

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Question :isn't the tallow that he used different than lard, as the video showed him taking out cracklings , or can you just use lard, I also would like to know if you can use a food dryer
I am not sure how hot our food dryer gets.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

I can't decide which would be worse: pemmican or this--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQvDC6lXAY

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

iWriteStuff wrote:
LDScop wrote:It's been a long while since I've actually had some. It is a lot like jerky but a lot more moist and with an explosion of flavor.
I convinced the wife to let me buy some lard last weekend.... I know the directions say to cook at 150 degrees for something like 15 hours, but isn't that the same as what a food dehydrator would do? Apparently my sophisticated oven will only cook at 170+, but I also have a food dehydrator....

Not a cook by nature and hoping to avoid poisoning myself. :ymsick:
I've never made pemmican, but we have made jerky recently. We just put ours in the dehydrator until it was done. It would be a good idea to keep it in the fridge afterwards so it lasts longer. Also salt in the marinade helps keep bacteria off during the drying process, but I don't know if you're supposed to put salt in pemmican.