How will you keep things cool...

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

How will you keep things cool...

Post by Silver »

...if this guy causes an EMP in the earth's upper atmosphere?
Who is this.jpg
Who is this.jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 1557 times

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Re: How will you keep things cool...

Post by cyclOps »

Lol that meme made me chuckle for a minute!

I am in the early stages of planning a root cellar on my property. Also a smokehouse as an alternative preservation method to refrigeration. Aside from that I don't know. Maybe try to be less wasteful so there isn't as big of a need for freezing or refrigerating. I don't have any medical supplies that need to remain at certain temperatures. Only food.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

You can find antique iceboxes, I prefer the bigger vintage metal ones over the smaller oak cabinets. Were I live we have Ice caves that the pioneers used to go cut there ice blocks from , even thru July . Stainless steel milk pails can be filled with food an placed in a running creek, or third world countries use the evaporation method , big ceramic pot with a smaller pot inside sand in between ,food in smaller pot with a damp cloth on top. Store lots of salt to preserve your meats.

FamilyFunnyFarm
captain of 50

Post by FamilyFunnyFarm »

Good pressure canner for canning your meat. It's great for stew meat or casseroles.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

This is an interesting topic to consider. I have an idea borne of a natural phenomena I witnessed, but I dont have the means to test it out.

A couple of years ago, I took some friends on a mountain explore to a dry canyon. On the side of the canyon there was a mine entrance with very cold air blowing out of it. We went inside the mine 50 feet or so, and found the source of the cold air. it was a fissure in the side of the mine wall, about 2 - 4 inches wide. Air was shooting out of that fissure into the bigger mine opening , and had frosted the rocks all around the fissure with thick frost. The fissure direction would have led out to the side of the canyon about 20 feet through the rocks.

My friend and I thought about the mechanism of how the air could get so cold so quickly, and we had not really come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Not to long ago, I was studying about vortex tubes (see the wiki article here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube), and found that after making one for water, when I blew through it, I could detect the heating or cooling just from the power of my breath!
from:https://cielotech.wordpress.com/2013/03 ... tex-tubes/

So, here is the idea. In the mountains, the forest service has placed outhouses with black chimneys (8"pvc?) that rise up over the roof of the outhouses.
When you are inside the outhouse, sitting on the seat, there is quite the draft (during the day time) being pulled past you and up that chimney.
I propose that a black pvc or metal chimney be made into a solar vortex tube. The sun operates it by heating up the tube (hence why it is black - to heat up more efficiently) causing the air inside to warm and rise up the chimney. At the top of the chimney, there needs to be an adjustable cone to regulate how much cooling : cold airflow ratio you get. On the bottom, is the cold end, and also where you place your "fridge" or "ice-box".
The critical part is insuring that the air entering near the bottom enters in a swirl pattern to create the vortex.

After building the water vortex tube (made from 1" pvc pipe and fittings) the larger 8" or 10" model for air cooling seems super simple, if not a bit exspensive (and tall - around 20 ft should be enough to test the concept).