Financial Reserve

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Financial Reserve

Post by Silver »

Some 6 million Americans are delinquent with auto loans and it’s going to get worse

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/some-6 ... 2016-11-30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't buy a car if it's going to eat into your emergency fund. The only way to preserve your financial health is to not eat up your seed corn.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Any thoughts on switching to gold?

A bloke in my ward has withdrawn half of his savings and used it to buy gold bullion.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I recall reading that gold has historically been valued at 42 times the price of silver. But as of right now, with gold at $1,166.60 and silver at $16.43, gold is 71.125 times the price of silver suggesting that either gold is overpriced or silver is under priced. So right now I wouldn't know which precious metal to recommend.

As far as buying precious metals at all, I see the following reasons to do so:
As a hedge against inflation. Since you can exchange metals for cash without paying capital gains, you don't need the price to increase significantly faster than inflation to come out even or ahead, like you would with stocks or bonds.

As a way to provide purchasing power in the early days of a financial collapse. If you believe the Chicago prophecy then you accept hyperinflation will become an issue, and if you understand the global economy you understand that hyperinflation involving a global reserve currency will hurt the value of other currencies.. Since precious metals will hold their value you could use them to protect value during that time frame. This reason is essentially a part of the previous reason.

As a bartering tool after a financial collapse. At that time I believe beans, bullets, and bandages will be far more valuable so I don't believe that precious metals are the best choice at that time.

As a way of making yourself rich when the country recovers from an anticipated financial collapse. Since I believe that we will see the building of Zion at that time, as well as a return to the United Order, I would not store metals for this reason. Your mileage may vary.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Robin Hood wrote:Any thoughts on switching to gold?

A bloke in my ward has withdrawn half of his savings and used it to buy gold bullion.
As brianj mentions in his post, silver is more interesting, but not just because of the historical exchange ratio between it and gold. I like silver for its acceptance among the common folk like me.

That bloke in your ward isn't worried about getting knocked on the head as he's unlocking his front door some day? Loose lips sink ships.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote:I recall reading that gold has historically been valued at 42 times the price of silver. But as of right now, with gold at $1,166.60 and silver at $16.43, gold is 71.125 times the price of silver suggesting that either gold is overpriced or silver is under priced. So right now I wouldn't know which precious metal to recommend.

As far as buying precious metals at all, I see the following reasons to do so:
As a hedge against inflation. Since you can exchange metals for cash without paying capital gains, you don't need the price to increase significantly faster than inflation to come out even or ahead, like you would with stocks or bonds.

As a way to provide purchasing power in the early days of a financial collapse. If you believe the Chicago prophecy then you accept hyperinflation will become an issue, and if you understand the global economy you understand that hyperinflation involving a global reserve currency will hurt the value of other currencies.. Since precious metals will hold their value you could use them to protect value during that time frame. This reason is essentially a part of the previous reason.

As a bartering tool after a financial collapse. At that time I believe beans, bullets, and bandages will be far more valuable so I don't believe that precious metals are the best choice at that time.

As a way of making yourself rich when the country recovers from an anticipated financial collapse. Since I believe that we will see the building of Zion at that time, as well as a return to the United Order, I would not store metals for this reason. Your mileage may vary.
Great comments. Silver is a great way for the novice to begin investing in precious metals. I would also advise a novice to NOT purchase collectibles or coins that are said to hold numismatic value. It is easy to overpay for that stuff. Just plain ol' Canadian Maple silver coins in the 1 oz size are beautiful.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Do you trust paper money? Look at what has happened in Venezuela:
Cry for Venezuela.jpg
Cry for Venezuela.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Many businesses are now weighing cash there, instead of counting it, because the individual notes have become so worthless.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:Do you trust paper money? Look at what has happened in Venezuela:
Cry for Venezuela.jpg

Many businesses are now weighing cash there, instead of counting it, because the individual notes have become so worthless.
You're big on zerohedge.com, aren't ya ;)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Yeah, I spend a lot of time there...even though lately there are a lot of commenters who support Trump and Pmurt...err, I mean Putin.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:Yeah, I spend a lot of time there...even though lately there are a lot of commenters who support Trump and Pmurt...err, I mean Putin.
I'm a regular there myself.... Good economic news and a nifty smattering of commentary. But honestly the anti-Mormon sentiment of some of the alt right Trumpsters on there is kind of shocking. :-o

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-0 ... ck-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello, everyone. Just for the fun of it, just to check out the inside of one of those places, just to see what kind of crazies hang out there, please go to the closest coin shop on Saturday. Do it for Uncle Silver, OK? Please?

If you'll read the article at the link you'll see that there's trouble brewing in Italy. I know. I know. Italians would rather discuss soccer and eat pasta, but sometimes, every once in a while, they get made enough to hang the lifeless body of Mussolini and his mistress upside down in full public view. They are approaching that point of anger now.

Hey, while you're at the coin shop, ask them if you can see a pre-1965 silver dime. Don't ask for a nice, shiny one. Just a regular 1964 or earlier dime, also known as junk silver. Stare at that thing and think about how cool it is that real Constitutional money comes in such a small package

"Italy is the third-largest member of the Eurozone. If it leaves, it will have the psychological effect of yelling “Fire!” in a crowded theater. Other countries—notably France—will quickly head for the exit and return to their national currencies.

Think of the euro as the economic glue holding the EU together. Without it, economic ties weaken, and the whole EU project unravels.

The EU is the world’s largest economy. If it collapses, it would trigger an unprecedented global stock market crash. That’s how important Italy’s December 4 referendum is. It would be the first domino to fall.

December 4 referendum fails >> M5S comes to power >> Italians vote to leave the euro currency >> European Union collapses"

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-0 ... ck-history

Hello, everyone. Just for the fun of it, just to check out the inside of one of those places, just to see what kind of crazies hang out there, please go to the closest coin shop on Saturday. Do it for Uncle Silver, OK? Please?

If you'll read the article at the link you'll see that there's trouble brewing in Italy. I know. I know. Italians would rather discuss soccer and eat pasta, but sometimes, every once in a while, they get made enough to hang the lifeless body of Mussolini and his mistress upside down in full public view. They are approaching that point of anger now.

Hey, while you're at the coin shop, ask them if you can see a pre-1965 silver dime. Don't ask for a nice, shiny one. Just a regular 1964 or earlier dime, also known as junk silver. Stare at that thing and think about how cool it is that real Constitutional money comes in such a small package

"Italy is the third-largest member of the Eurozone. If it leaves, it will have the psychological effect of yelling “Fire!” in a crowded theater. Other countries—notably France—will quickly head for the exit and return to their national currencies.

Think of the euro as the economic glue holding the EU together. Without it, economic ties weaken, and the whole EU project unravels.

The EU is the world’s largest economy. If it collapses, it would trigger an unprecedented global stock market crash. That’s how important Italy’s December 4 referendum is. It would be the first domino to fall.

December 4 referendum fails >> M5S comes to power >> Italians vote to leave the euro currency >> European Union collapses"
The good news there is that if the EU starts collapsing, the euro will tank relative to the dollar. Dollar strength = lower prices for silver. So in all likelihood, there could be a fairly good sale on silver come Monday morning. On the other hand, if investors decide that the EU collapse is upon us, they may flee from stocks into the "safety" of U.S. bonds - driving down the yield. As the yield drops, that will provide upward pressure for precious metals like silver....

Flip a coin! Could go either way. I've been buying every time the price goes down.... Could be the first time I buy when the price goes up! :)

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

iWriteStuff wrote:

The good news there is that if the EU starts collapsing, the euro will tank relative to the dollar. Dollar strength = lower prices for silver. So in all likelihood, there could be a fairly good sale on silver come Monday morning. On the other hand, if investors decide that the EU collapse is upon us, they may flee from stocks into the "safety" of U.S. bonds - driving down the yield. As the yield drops, that will provide upward pressure for precious metals like silver....

Flip a coin! Could go either way. I've been buying every time the price goes down.... Could be the first time I buy when the price goes up! :)
You need to sign up for Martin Armstrong's gold report, etc. You want to be investing and not gambling/guessing. An investor friend once told me after I mentioned I was going to buy something he thought was rather speculative and the risk/reward wasn't there in his opinion, he said, "Take your money that you plan on using, put it outside on your porch in a garbage can and leave it there overnight, if you can get a good night sleep without worrying if it's going to be there in the morning then go and do with it what you were planning but remember you're not investing you're gambling".

The PM market will start moving when the $USD starts failing which I think starts occurring after it rises so much that developing countries that have borrowed in $USD's start defaulting on their loans to the tune of $12+ trillion dollars. BTW public debt (bonds) are close to being done. The next wave up is the private market (read stocks).

I've always thought that food and essentials were a better investment anyway since most don't have all their ducks in a row enough to afford throwing money at PM's hoping to use the gains to buy what they really need in the future.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

dlbww wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:The good news there is that if the EU starts collapsing, the euro will tank relative to the dollar. Dollar strength = lower prices for silver. So in all likelihood, there could be a fairly good sale on silver come Monday morning. On the other hand, if investors decide that the EU collapse is upon us, they may flee from stocks into the "safety" of U.S. bonds - driving down the yield. As the yield drops, that will provide upward pressure for precious metals like silver....

You need to sign up for Martin Armstrong's gold report, etc. You want to be investing and not gambling/guessing. An investor friend once told me after I mentioned I was going to buy something he thought was rather speculative and the risk/reward wasn't there in his opinion, he said, "Take your money that you plan on using, put it outside on your porch in a garbage can and leave it there overnight, if you can get a good night sleep without worrying if it's going to be there in the morning then go and do with it what you were planning but remember you're not investing you're gambling".

The PM market will start moving when the $USD starts failing which I think starts occurring after it rises so much that developing countries that have borrowed in $USD's start defaulting on their loans to the tune of $12+ trillion dollars. BTW public debt (bonds) are close to being done. The next wave up is the private market (read stocks).

I've always thought that food and essentials were a better investment anyway since most don't have all their ducks in a row enough to afford throwing money at PM's hoping to use the gains to buy what they really need in the future.
Amen to food and essentials. The church recommends a financial reserve also as the third leg of self-reliance. I hope all here don't need any convincing that getting prepared is a good idea. Do it. Do it now. (But don't go into debt to do it.)

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

dlbww wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

I haven't lost a trade yet when dealing with precious metals. I use technical analysis and macroeconomic analysis mixed with a disciplined trading strategy to make my decisions, and never with any money that I couldn't afford to lose. To that point, I've never lost any sleep about my investments. I'm up 22% YTD, and I expect to improve that considerably when I exit my current positions. ;)

I've read Armstrong's materials. Decent. That being said, I don't know how you can say that bond yields will continue to explode upwards and at the same time stocks will as well. Companies' ability to borrow at cheap rates for capital investment, service existing loans, and to participate in stock buybacks is significantly impaired when rates go up. Not only are large corporations dependent on low rates, so is our government with their deficit spending/borrowing scheme. I see more trouble with this than opportunity. The economic fundamentals haven't changed since before the election, no matter what pundits are saying. Consequently, these are the same pundits that predicted economic doom if Trump was elected. Why else has it taken so long for the Fed to raise rates? They deemed the economy too fragile to handle them. Now rates have skyrocketed and the Fed is playing catch up. This is dangerous water.

I see a coming correction. I exited all my stock positions as of Wednesday last week. I guess time will tell if I am foolish, but the current volatility mixed with a high degree of uncertainty has me taking money off the table, not doubling down on stocks. Irrational exuberance is the name of the game, and I've decided to play it safer than usual.

(FWIW: my current precious metal positions are up over 4% today... just sayin'...)

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

iWriteStuff wrote: I haven't lost a trade yet when dealing with precious metals. I use technical analysis and macroeconomic analysis mixed with a disciplined trading strategy to make my decisions, and never with any money that I couldn't afford to lose. To that point, I've never lost any sleep about my investments. I'm up 22% YTD, and I expect to improve that considerably when I exit my current positions. ;)

I've read Armstrong's materials. Decent. That being said, I don't know how you can say that bond yields will continue to explode upwards and at the same time stocks will as well. Companies' ability to borrow at cheap rates for capital investment, service existing loans, and to participate in stock buybacks is significantly impaired when rates go up. Not only are large corporations dependent on low rates, so is our government with their deficit spending/borrowing scheme. I see more trouble with this than opportunity. The economic fundamentals haven't changed since before the election, no matter what pundits are saying. Consequently, these are the same pundits that predicted economic doom if Trump was elected. Why else has it taken so long for the Fed to raise rates? They deemed the economy too fragile to handle them. Now rates have skyrocketed and the Fed is playing catch up. This is dangerous water.

I see a coming correction. I exited all my stock positions as of Wednesday last week. I guess time will tell if I am foolish, but the current volatility mixed with a high degree of uncertainty has me taking money off the table, not doubling down on stocks. Irrational exuberance is the name of the game, and I've decided to play it safer than usual.

(FWIW: my current precious metal positions are up over 4% today... just sayin'...)
Good for you on your return. I played it a little different purchasing a dividend paying fund (10% annual return and I reinvest the dividend getting a 5% discount on the new shares; compound interest, the eight wonder of the world according to Einstein) a little over a year ago when it was way down (when the DOW was going to collapse; we had a discussion back then). It's my major holding and I'm going to keep it as the $USD rises since the fund invests heavily in the USA market (I'm in Canada).

Interest rates on bonds go up as they become less desirable to own (risk/reward; governments ability to make good on repayment comes into question), what is referred to as public debt (but you know this). The stock market will continue to rise as capital flows from the EU enter the USA; somewhere safe to park cash as the EU burns and the Euro collapses, see: https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/inte ... -votes-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This time around the collapse will be in public debt not private like 2008/2009 so I suspect we will see a rise in certain assets and a collapse in others; like bonds as investors begin losing faith in government (this is your PM moment; some time into 2017 developing countries that have borrowed in $USD's are going to start defaulting on their debt). First though as the $USD rises I see PM's falling in $USD's but perhaps rising in other currencies. If I was working in $USD's I think I might want to sit in cash at the moment.

I think PM's will have their day soon but so will other assets, gold isn't going to rise in a vacuum. It's going to be a wild ride ahead. Play safe.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

dlbww wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote: I haven't lost a trade yet when dealing with precious metals. I use technical analysis and macroeconomic analysis mixed with a disciplined trading strategy to make my decisions, and never with any money that I couldn't afford to lose. To that point, I've never lost any sleep about my investments. I'm up 22% YTD, and I expect to improve that considerably when I exit my current positions. ;)

Good for you on your return. I played it a little different purchasing a dividend paying fund (10% annual return and I reinvest the dividend getting a 5% discount on the new shares; compound interest, the eight wonder of the world according to Einstein) a little over a year ago when it was way down (when the DOW was going to collapse; we had a discussion back then). It's my major holding and I'm going to keep it as the $USD rises since the fund invests heavily in the USA market (I'm in Canada).

Interest rates on bonds go up as they become less desirable to own (risk/reward; governments ability to make good on repayment comes into question), what is referred to as public debt (but you know this). The stock market will continue to rise as capital flows from the EU enter the USA; somewhere safe to park cash as the EU burns and the Euro collapses, see: https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/inte ... -votes-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This time around the collapse will be in public debt not private like 2008/2009 so I suspect we will see a rise in certain assets and a collapse in others; like bonds as investors begin losing faith in government (this is your PM moment; some time into 2017 developing countries that have borrowed in $USD's are going to start defaulting on their debt). First though as the $USD rises I see PM's falling in $USD's but perhaps rising in other currencies. If I was working in $USD's I think I might want to sit in cash at the moment.

I think PM's will have their day soon but so will other assets, gold isn't going to rise in a vacuum. It's going to be a wild ride ahead. Play safe.
Safe is my middle name! I saw good opportunity going into the weekend, but I've learned the market doesn't behave the way one would expect. I sold off some of my positions Friday afternoon for a 4.5% gain. Gold jumped on the initial news of the Italian referendum, then decided it wanted to come back down again to where it was before Friday. Now I can buy back those shares I sold at a discount. Yippee.

To that point, the euro didn't behave as expected either. First it dropped 1%, now it's higher than it was before. What the heck? The EU got a warning sign that Italy might move to leave in the near future, and the euro responds by gaining? Hats off to you if you saw that coming. I sure didn't. Dollar also lower relative to other currencies. I also would have expected inflows to the U.S. economy due to the referendum result, but of course we get the opposite. On the same hand, I would have expected political uncertainty to rattle EU bonds and a flight to safety in U.S. Treasuries. Nope. Exactly the opposite.

Who or what is fighting so hard to keep the EU economy from plummeting? Italian banks are more likely to collapse, bonds to default, and the nation to return to the lira, but instead the market bounces upwards? It's like gravity has been reversed.

I'm glad I keep my positions short and my powder dry. This is some interesting economic landscape we're entering.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Oops, maybe I spoke too soon. Bond yields are dropping and gold is charging up the hill as we speak. That might be the first thing to make sense yet.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote:Oops, maybe I spoke too soon. Bond yields are dropping and gold is charging up the hill as we speak. That might be the first thing to make sense yet.
Gold got whacked earlier due to a large paper sale of the commodity. I have given up on trying to make sense of the price of it and element 47. Just buy some if I have some excess $$.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:Oops, maybe I spoke too soon. Bond yields are dropping and gold is charging up the hill as we speak. That might be the first thing to make sense yet.
Gold got whacked earlier due to a large paper sale of the commodity. I have given up on trying to make sense of the price of it and element 47. Just buy some if I have some excess $$.
I think the markets are just too heavily manipulated to allow true price discovery. But I know I want more, so I'm ok with a dip in price. Why would you stop buying something you want/need when it goes on sale?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Silver wrote:
I think the markets are just too heavily manipulated to allow true price discovery. But I know I want more, so I'm ok with a dip in price. Why would you stop buying something you want/need when it goes on sale?
'Zactly. I've also noted some low prices on ammo since Trump won and wondered if sales volumes dropped because the sheeple went back to sleep.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:
Silver wrote:
'Zactly. I've also noted some low prices on ammo since Trump won and wondered if sales volumes dropped because the sheeple went back to sleep.
I've never regretted the purchase of a single round. That's my Lead Bullion supply. ;)

But yeah, watch the used gun market in January. Gonna be swamped with bargains ("Hillary didn't win" + "Oops I guess I didn't need to stock up for the Zombie Apocalypse").

Oh that Mrs. iWriteStuff was ok with me getting another one :(( :(( :((

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote:Oh that Mrs. iWriteStuff was ok with me getting another one :(( :(( :((
The 4 Steps of Repentance:
1. Recognition
2. Remorse
3. Roses
4. Rings

These will save many a marriage on the rocks due to gun purchases.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Enough with apologizing to wives and similarly humiliating experiences. Let's return to how almost everyone is woefully lacking in the Financial Reserve arena. How do I know this? Because 71% of us have less than $10,000 in net wealth. A full 92% of us have less that $100k. And $100k doesn't buy that much any more.

Behold:
wealth-pyramid2015.png
wealth-pyramid2015.png (160.61 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

You can sell your blood plasma to raise money for your financial reserve.

https://www.cslplasma.com/locations/sea ... ults-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Do you watch too much TEEVEE? Then pick up aluminum cans and sell them to the recycler so you can increase the size of your food storage or your financial reserve. Two birds with one stone -- improved health and stronger preps.

http://www.kitco.com/kitco-gold-index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;