Emergency Car Kits

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
littlemikey
captain of 100

Emergency Car Kits

Post by littlemikey »

Hoping we can get some good discussion around a really decent car kit....I work 25 miles from where I live and my biggest worry is getting home when I'm at work during an emergency/disaster.

Does anyone have good experience with this? What things are best and what is too much?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Emergency Car Kits

Post by David13 »

My good experience has been that whenever I am carrying all kinds of emergency equipment with me, I never need it.
When perchance I don't have it with me, or all with me, that's when I need it.
But it was never a problem. There was always some solution right at hand, one way or another.
For instance, once I had a nail in my tire on my motorcycle. My tire was going flat. The warning system warned me and I stopped. Well, I looked around to see where I was. Right in front of a ... tire store! So I was delayed about 15 minutes.
So then I started carrying a patch kit with me, instead of storing it at home. The next time I got a nail, I was delayed about 15 minutes.
Etc.
dc

littlemikey
captain of 100

Post by littlemikey »

Haha, that works...but what if roads are out and you truly need to get some place on foot, or need to spend some extended time in your car?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Always try to have almost a full tank of gas in your car at all times.

Assuming it is not freezing out and you will likely receive help within a day or two, you would probably be more comfortable during your wait if you had a small travel pillow and a warm blanket with you. I would also want to have a gallon of fresh water, some high energy snacks, a role of toilet paper, a trash bag, a battery operated radio, and a flashlight.

The list can go on from there, but those items are my basics.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The water bottles the church sells have filters that will remove microorganisms, if you can find reasonably clean water. I wouldn't rely on one of these if I lived in a desert, but where I live water is plenteous so I can rely on one of these and one or two full, sealed bottles of water.

ALWAYS have good walking shoes with you. Most women I have known who work downtown will wear comfortable walking shoes to and from the office, carrying their heels, but men insist on the uncomfortable dress shoes door to door. Walking 25+ miles with bad footwear will really hurt you.

If you are in decent shape you should be able to sustain a three mile an hour pace - that will take you about nine hours to go 25 miles, including a few short stops. Weather appropriate clothing, a couple high energy snacks as Matchmaker mentioned, and at a minimum the ability to carry some amount of water. If I lived in a desert I would probably want to have a gallon of water if I had to walk that far home, and I would wait for the sun to set before going - necessitating a flashlight. And, when malevolent people discover that law enforcement can't respond, you may find that you need a concealed weapon.

The more you carry, the slower you will go, the more energy you will expend, and the more water you will need. So try to identify a minimum to comfortably get yourself home.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Make sure you have your basics covered in any car emergency kit. A lot of people like to think they know what they need, but when I've seen some of my friends kits I just laugh out loud. They haven't even scratched the surface on what you actually need.

I don't know how hip to are to this survival stuff, but the first thing you need to do is watch Rambo part one and 2 back to back. Then you can at least begin to build up a little intestinal fortitude to do whatever is necessary when SHTF.

Second, watch every season of the Walking Dead in a marathon session. Don't worry about wasting time eating, sleeping, or even smelling. Just watch every single episode playing close attention to Michones sword skills and Darryls bow skills. Remember these will come in handy.

Next, get a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook and begin building, testing, and improving any kind of small explosives that catch your fancy.

Handguns are alright for car kits, but hand grenades, AK47s with flash suppression and infrared sights are better. If you live in a larger city you might even want to consider stocking up on small mortar/ or anti aircraft rocket propelled systems.

Generating electricity will be key to power your mobile radar instrumentation. I'd recommend a 10,000kwh diesel generator that you can tow on the back of your Humvee. Be sure to have a roll cage and bullet proof glass installed when ordered (it cost too much to add on later) and you will be able to mount your 50cal machine gun and anti tank weaponry much easier.

That covers the basics. When you do all that, feel free to ask about more advanced ideas.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote:The water bottles the church sells have filters that will remove microorganisms, if you can find reasonably clean water. I wouldn't rely on one of these if I lived in a desert, but where I live water is plenteous so I can rely on one of these and one or two full, sealed bottles of water.

So try to identify a minimum to comfortably get yourself home.
brianj
That all sounds good, particularly about the shoes. The only thing I don't like is ... being out at night. Night brings out all the well ... the bad ones.
You want to be in or get into some shelter. Maybe some secure indoor place. How about a motel along the way. Or get home by dark.
dc

littlemikey
captain of 100

Post by littlemikey »

Lexew1899 wrote:Make sure you have your basics covered in any car emergency kit. A lot of people like to think they know what they need, but when I've seen some of my friends kits I just laugh out loud. They haven't even scratched the surface on what you actually need.

I don't know how hip to are to this survival stuff, but the first thing you need to do is watch Rambo part one and 2 back to back. Then you can at least begin to build up a little intestinal fortitude to do whatever is necessary when SHTF.

Second, watch every season of the Walking Dead in a marathon session. Don't worry about wasting time eating, sleeping, or even smelling. Just watch every single episode playing close attention to Michones sword skills and Darryls bow skills. Remember these will come in handy.

Next, get a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook and begin building, testing, and improving any kind of small explosives that catch your fancy.

Handguns are alright for car kits, but hand grenades, AK47s with flash suppression and infrared sights are better. If you live in a larger city you might even want to consider stocking up on small mortar/ or anti aircraft rocket propelled systems.

Generating electricity will be key to power your mobile radar instrumentation. I'd recommend a 10,000kwh diesel generator that you can tow on the back of your Humvee. Be sure to have a roll cage and bullet proof glass installed when ordered (it cost too much to add on later) and you will be able to mount your 50cal machine gun and anti tank weaponry much easier.

That covers the basics. When you do all that, feel free to ask about more advanced ideas.
Haha, I like this approach! Good thing I'm a big fan of the walking dead....I feel I'm halfway there now!