How do you tell the difference b/w a beggar and an attacker?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
butterfly
captain of 1,000

Re: How do you tell the difference b/w a beggar and an attacker?

Post by butterfly »

iWriteStuff wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:
butterfly wrote: Lol, well I guess I should double-check my state laws
It's called "brandishing" in any state and is a felony. You never ever ever let someone else know if you are carrying. Even implying it can be a felony.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/brandishing-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unless you live in an open carry state just having it holstered or in a carry position. You can just point to the gun I suppose. But you are correct you can not just pull a gun on someone without probably cause.
I teach concealed carry classes with current and former law enforcement.... The recommendation is DON'T EVEN POINT AT IT. Don't tell them you're carrying, don't put your hand on it, don't do anything with your gun unless you're absolutely certain you're going to use it. And by use it I mean shoot someone.
I have a "weapons carry license", that's different from concealed carry, right? So technically I could legally, but discreetly, make it known that I have a weapon, if I felt threatened of course, right?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

MrNasty wrote:Agreed. Just make sure if you do something threatening there is no one else around to see it.
PLEASE reconsider giving out foolish advice like this. Not only is it a danger to other people who may take your advice and follow it (don't try to fool the law - it's too risky) it's a terrible liability to you. Say five years down the line you're involved in a serious situation and you either need to defend yourself or have a case where someone accuses you. A good opposing lawyer is going to look for anything they can to use against you. Picture this: You're sitting on the witness stand, accused of wrongfully shooting someone. The attorney looks at you and says "Is it true that you wrote 'Just make sure if you do something threatening there is no one else around to see it.' on a religious activist chat room? Are there other times you've given advice to people on how to break the law?"

We believe in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. It's a good idea to follow that, and to give out advice based on that kind of philosophy.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

butterfly wrote:The area I live in is increasing in both poverty and crime.
I often want to help all the hitchhikers I see or give money or food to those in need.
I keep getting approached in the parking lot of the grocery store by people asking for cash.
The problem is it doesn't seem safe.
My husband says I probably look like an easy target.
This happened again last night. It was dark, somewhat secluded, and a lady approached me as I was getting in my car. She started to cry as she asked for cash. I saw a man cross close by her and thought I recognized him from inside the store, a man who seemed to avoid eye contact.
I gave her some food and drove away as quickly as I could.
I feel terrible for those who are in need, I want to help, but should I just ignore a beggar when the situation is shady/ potentially dangerous?
Carry a gun and know how to use it. I am very serious. Reach into your bag and shoot it right while it's in the bag if you're being attacked, or flash it if you feel threatened.

Here is a list of other good options: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/5-best-se ... uns-women/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

butterfly wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
I often want to help all the hitchhikers I see or give money or food to those in need.
I keep getting approached in the parking lot of the grocery store by people asking for cash.
This happened again last night. It was dark, somewhat secluded, and a lady approached me as I was getting in my car. She started to cry as she asked for cash. I saw a man cross close by her and thought I recognized him from inside the store, a man who seemed to avoid eye contact.
I feel terrible for those who are in need, I want to help, but should I just ignore a beggar when the situation is shady/ potentially dangerous?
Pull out you gun. If he/she runs away you have a criminal. If they cry and plea for mercy they are just a beggar.
Is it illegal to just randomly pull out a gun? Like could I be arrested? I'm guessing it depends on the state.
If you feel threatened and you have a justifiable reason, it is not illegal at all. You will not be arrested for protecting yourself.

A word of advice for dealing with law enforcement in such a situation: Say only five words: "I feared for my life". And then when they ask further questions be polite and say "No thank you sir, I would like to talk to a lawyer first".

Never say anything else.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

KurtTheMormon wrote:
butterfly wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
Pull out you gun. If he/she runs away you have a criminal. If they cry and plea for mercy they are just a beggar.
Is it illegal to just randomly pull out a gun? Like could I be arrested? I'm guessing it depends on the state.
If you feel threatened and you have a justifiable reason, it is not illegal at all. You will not be arrested for protecting yourself.

A word of advice for dealing with law enforcement in such a situation: Say only five words: "I feared for my life". And then when they ask further questions be polite and say "No thank you sir, I would like to talk to a lawyer first".

Never say anything else.
I've never heard this - it's very good advice. It's hard for me to imagine myself actually using a weapon - it seems so wrong and violent. "He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword", right? I'd rather just use priesthood power some way, like nephi did with laman and lemuel when he shocked them.
In my mind, I understand that self-defense is a necessary part of taking care of yourself and family, but in my heart it just feels wrong. I never want to harm another person.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

butterfly wrote:
KurtTheMormon wrote:
butterfly wrote:
MrNasty wrote:

Never say anything else.
I've never heard this - it's very good advice. It's hard for me to imagine myself actually using a weapon - it seems so wrong and violent. "He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword", right? I'd rather just use priesthood power some way, like nephi did with laman and lemuel when he shocked them.
In my mind, I understand that self-defense is a necessary part of taking care of yourself and family, but in my heart it just feels wrong. I never want to harm another person.

You never want to harm another person, and therefore you feel it would be wrong for someone to harm you or your family and therefore you realize you do need to defend yourself and your family with whatever means it takes. That's why you posted this thread.
And that means deadly force if deadly force is presented or used toward you or your family.
Either you live up to your responsibility or you don't.
There ain't no two ways about it.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

KurtTheMormon wrote:
Carry a gun and know how to use it. I am very serious. Reach into your bag and shoot it right while it's in the bag if you're being attacked, or flash it if you feel threatened.

Here is a list of other good options: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/5-best-se ... uns-women/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just be sure first to study and know your state laws, and where necessary, get a carry permit after the proper training and legal understanding that's required.
dc

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I was told the law at least in Idaho was, even if you "feared for your life" they have to charge you. That means lawyers an about $20,000. So who wants to risk
The legal cost. Research tasters , find a neighbor you don't like and practice ,practice till your perfect on using it..(so sorry my humor I couldn't resist).Best
way avoid risks and be guided by the spirit..

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

You were told wrong.
dc

Which is preposterously and outrageously common whenever it comes to law, and especially law and firearms.