Akm Vs Ar15

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Different
captain of 100

Akm Vs Ar15

Post by Different »

Which is better... let the war begin..

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: Akm Vs Ar15

Post by iWriteStuff »

Different wrote:Which is better... let the war begin..
The question is too simple because it depends on use. If you want accuracy, you go the AR15 route. You can dude that thing up to be highly accurate at long range, whereas the loose tolerance nature of the AK will make it less accurate at long range no matter how many pretty accessories you put on it.

That being said, there are certain advantages to loose tolerances. Like not jamming every time you get a crimp in a tiny spring or a speck of dirt in your upper. AR15s like to be clean; AKs don't mind getting muddy.

So if you're going where the dirt, dust, and mud hang out, use the AK. If you're going to be shooting long range and don't mind cleaning and field stripping when necessary, go the AR.

I own both, but I certainly don't use them the same way.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Let your AK fall into the mud in the fall and leave it there until snow melts and the ground turns to mud next spring, pick it up, flip the safety off, and it will fire. Go someplace like Afghanistan or Iraq and you'll find old AKs that have never been cleaned or lubricated since they left the factory. But if you have a single individual shooting at you from 300 yards away, you will have a very hard time hitting that person.

EVERY United States Marine Corps recruit learns to hit a man size target at 500 meters during boot camp, and they will fire the same qualification course a few more times in their enlistment. The Armalite (AR) platform is surprisingly accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

So your question needs to be followed up with the question: Better at what?

For the person who can't be bothered to learn marksmanship or provide decent maintenance, the AK family is the better choice. I will take care of my weapons, I practice marksmanship, and I want to engage an enemy force as far out as possible. Therefore my first choice is a good moderate range rifle (like a well tuned AR-30 - a .308 cal AR variant capable of accurate shots to 1,000+ meters) with an AR-15 as a back-up rifle in case forces get within 500 meters.

For the person who wants to be prepared for whatever happens, get both. If you have both and end up in combat, you are very likely to be able to pick up ammo in your caliber after winning a battle.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Thoughts on the Israeli tavor/x95 compared to the ar15, was thinking of getting one of those instead of a common ar

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Different wrote:Thoughts on the Israeli tavor/x95 compared to the ar15, was thinking of getting one of those instead of a common ar
Friend of mine coughed up for the Tavor. Great gun, awful trigger. I think they're working to fix that, or you can buy an after market trigger set for it that most experts agree will fix the trigger issue but is too costly for too little difference. Honestly, he's mighty proud of it but I don't think he'd buy it twice.

Oh, and his Tavor jammed when we used the cheaper steel cased ammo. My AK has never flinched when using the steel cased milsurp ammo. So whereas it has some of the advantages of the gas piston system, it doesn't have the same reliability as the AK.

I'd avoid it and stick with an AK or an AR15. Heck, you could own both for the price of one Tavor.

Joshua
captain of 100

Post by Joshua »

Different wrote:Which is better... let the war begin..
Seems like a pattern of trying to cause trouble from this poster.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

No.^

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

brianj wrote:Let your AK fall into the mud in the fall and leave it there until snow melts and the ground turns to mud next spring, pick it up, flip the safety off, and it will fire.
I've heard these adages about the AK vs. AR for as long as I've been around guns, but reality just doesn't always agree.

Joshua
captain of 100

Post by Joshua »

Different wrote:No.^
The AK/AR issue has been debated to death on every gun forum on the internet. You didn't give any reason for your op, and plainly stated "let the war begin".

You didn't ask for advice or product reviews, you asked for people to argue. This thread has no purpose but to cause arguments.

Coupled with your "nobody here is Mormon" post, I'd say that the pattern is very clear.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

I said let the war begin because many people have various opns, I was just hoping to get peoples opn on each rifle.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

My vote is for the mini 30.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Ezra wrote:My vote is for the mini 30.
Well played, sir, well played :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

And personally I don't mind the "war", although I feel it's a bit like comparing a Philips to a flathead screwdriver. They're just slightly different tools used for the same purpose but in different scenarios.

I love them both! :ymcowboy:

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Ak74 VS AKM^

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Different wrote:Ak74 VS AKM^
Gosh, it's like you're looking into my gun safe right now...

I prefer the AK74. In fact I liked the caliber (5.45x39) so much that I built an AR15 in that caliber as well =p~ It's ballistically similar to the 5.56x45 that our military favors and a heckuva lot cheaper to shoot. Smith & Wesson make a great 5.45 upper... But of course you asked about the AK so I will tell you that my Bulgarian AK74 has light recoil, moderate accuracy, and shoots for around $.13/rd. The smaller round is also lighter to carry so extra mags aren't as bulky in the backpack.

Again, it comes down to use, really. The 7.62 is an intermediate round (.30 caliber) and therefore much better at inflicting damage on larger (read: tastier) animals and thus wins the prize in outdoor survival situations. However, if hydrostatic shock to human flesh is all you want, plus some dependable ballistic characteristics (flat trajectory, light recoil, higher velocity) at a lower cost per round... It's 5.45 FTW.

Not that anyone is interested, but my AR15 in 5.45 is a sweet shootin' piece and probably my favorite long gun. :-$

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Yeah I heard the 5.45 tumbles, and the 5.56 can fragment up to certain distances. I've been thinking about an Ak74 for a bit now but was unsure whether to get that or save up for a tavor/x95

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

One or two of each should serve you well. :D

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have a civilian AK 101 and I do not regret the purchase. If I were to recommend a gun to anyone else, I would say an AR-15.
1) Everyone has them. The arguments about replacement parts, knowledge base and ammunition apply. (although the AK 101 has the same caliber)
2) What real life situations are we talking about that you are going to have to get sand and mud in your gun after it's been driven over during a battle, etc. Depending on the build of AR, it can handle a lot of abuse (at the expense of accuracy.) Any generic AR can probably handle sufficient abuse I for whatever situation you are envisioning.
3) Accuracy
4) Buy American

If you're still thinking of buying an AK-
47, then consider the accuracy and the availability of ammunition in the situation you are envisioning
74, then see if you can procure ammunition first
101, then look at how much they cost

EDIT: I would add that if you're still considering an AK vs an AR, then you probably don't have a lot of reasoning as to what you should get. In that case, going with an AR is the more sure bet being it is tested.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Yeah I guess I'll end up in the future getting both, seeing they are good in their own ways.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

After 22 yrs in e service, I own neither one. Though I have trained with both, more than I care to admit, my vote is for the G-3. While heavier than the AR and the AK, I have only had one fail on me after firing a few hundred rounds of portugese .308. Pretty much everything else is good to go.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I'll offer one more consideration: Climate.

In the FAR North, there are AR's and AK's. Both see a lot of use, but the AK is less likely to have feed failures and jams than the AR is. Of course, this goes along with the overall reliability issue, but I've seen AR designs lock in -50 to -60 temperature but I've never seen an AK fail.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Different wrote:Yeah I guess I'll end up in the future getting both, seeing they are good in their own ways.
I asked my friend with the Tavor today what he would do. He said he'd buy both the AK and the AR. Only buy the Tavor "if you want something cool and unique", otherwise you're just blowing your cash on a cool toy.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Different wrote:Yeah I guess I'll end up in the future getting both, seeing they are good in their own ways.
I asked my friend with the Tavor today what he would do. He said he'd buy both the AK and the AR. Only buy the Tavor "if you want something cool and unique", otherwise you're just blowing your cash on a cool toy.
I would rather buy an AR-15 and then get an SKS for 200 dollars when one comes available. That way, you have one good gun and one gun you can use in an emergency if there is ammunition available for it.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

harakim wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:
I would rather buy an AR-15 and then get an SKS for 200 dollars when one comes available. That way, you have one good gun and one gun you can use in an emergency if there is ammunition available for it.
The Russians can keep it....

AR in 6.5G!!! Big brother in 6.5C!!! done...

maybe .300B suppressed for fun in close stuff....or go big with .458S or the .50B...and if you can't get the 6.5G can always go 6.8 or fall back on the baseline .22(3)

Not even touching on all the slap on toys and upgrades...which dollar for dollar can't be touched on any other weapon system...not touching on the development pipeline...

AK does what?