Far West Missouri Stake Notes

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Far West Missouri Stake Notes

Post by BroJones »

Lezlee and I along with two of our sons and 3 super grand-daughters live in the Far West Missouri Stake of Zion. And I mean, really Zion - because Adam-ondi-Ahman (an extended area really) is in our stake. If you missed the memo, we're preparing for a GLORIOUS meeting to be held at AoA, although I can't say here just how soon. {grin} Oh, add Jessica our son Seth's wonderful wife to our family - she is an important attorney in Gentry county where we live.

So I'm starting this thread for those in the FWM stake in particular, "to communicate and to do good" as Paul says in Hebrews.

1. As our Albany Branch President Larsen and his family have moved to Utah ("you may to have to walk back, Mark"), I'm looking for a source for fresh range-fed EGGS in the area. Any ideas?
Thanks Strawberry for getting a great Amish source for RAW milk - tastes so good! Do they have eggs, too?

2. Is anyone doing plant-starts yet? Are the Allens starting up yet? (They have greenhouses.) Hope they will join the discussion here.

3. Suzanne (do you have a "handle" yet in this forum?) recently pointed to a major concern:

http://www.teaparty.org/video-senator-w ... aw-141011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a bill in Congress aimed at giving President Obama basically blank-check war powers -- yikes! and co-sponsored by Senator Hatch of Utah (yikes again, but no surprise...). I agree this is a MAJOR concern, sure seems to violate the Constitution IMO, and I think we should oppose this bad bill in Congress.

4. Now for an encouraging word from President Russell Nelson, speaking to the youth recently:
Plead with the Lord for the gift of discernment. Then live and work to be worthy to receive that gift so that when confusing events arise in the world, you will know exactly what is true and what is not. 7

Serve with love. Loving service to those who have lost their way or who are wounded in spirit opens your heart to personal revelation....

You may not always understand every declaration of a living prophet. But when you know a prophet is a prophet, you can approach the Lord in humility and faith and ask for your own witness about whatever His prophet has proclaimed.

Around 41 b.c., many Nephites joined the Church, and the Church prospered. But secret combinations also began to grow, and many of their cunning leaders hid among the people and were difficult to detect. As the people became more and more prideful, many of the Nephites made “a mock of that which was sacred, denying the spirit of prophecy and of revelation.”11

Those same threats are among us today. The somber reality is that there are “servants of Satan”12 embedded throughout society. So be very careful about whose counsel you follow.13

My beloved brothers and sisters, you were born to be True Millennials! You are a chosen generation,14 fore-determined by God to do a remarkable work—to help prepare the people of this world for the Second Coming of the Lord.
Awesome talk! note his warning about "secret combinations" among us (see also what Jesus said in D&C 89 about "conspiring men" among us).

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Far West Missouri Stake Notes

Post by BroJones »

PS - any word yet on the time and place for Sister Meeks funeral? Lezlee and I wish we could be there, but are "stuck" in Penna at the moment...

PPS -- here's an awesome video I recommend, by my friend Rod Meldrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mADM3RYKl5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have given talks at two of his Book of Mormon conferences, both times talking about research on dating horse bones - found in America before Columbus!! Last November, I also talked about Brewer Cave... fun stuff!!

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

"If you missed the memo, we're preparing for a GLORIOUS meeting to be held at AoA, although I can't say here just how soon. {grin} "

Who is preparing for a glorious meeting? Then you ask about local stuff, is this meeting for your community?
Or are you in general preparing for the Adam-ohndi-ahman meeting?

Farm eggs are great! We started this last year having chickens and I must say the eggs are so much better. If you lived closer I could give you some- I have too many!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Hi, Melissa.
Yes, I refer to THE general AoA meeting - and it may be like General Conference, in some ways...
Totally PIVOTAL for earth's history, as Jesus is given the KEYS from leaders going back to Adam...

Where do you live?

LilyoftheValley
Hi, I'm new.

Post by LilyoftheValley »

BroJones wrote:PS - any word yet on the time and place for Sister Meeks funeral? Lezlee and I wish we could be there, but are "stuck" in Penna at the moment...
Funeral Service will be held this Friday, January 29, 2016 at 1pm at the Albany Meetinghouse. Do you know who I should ask to speak at her service?

LilyoftheValley
Hi, I'm new.

Post by LilyoftheValley »

Currently I get eggs and milk from the Amish.

I will eventually have chickens, rabbits, and a dairy animal on my own property, but there are fencing and zoning issues to deal with first. Gardening capacity and success has been better each year- we will be starting our transplants soon. We are adding some grains to this year's agenda. I am going to see how quinoa, chia, amaranth, and sorghum do here. Also will be looking at a huge crop of mung beans and sunflowers for some vegetable based protein.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

BroJones wrote:Hi, Melissa.
Yes, I refer to THE general AoA meeting - and it may be like General Conference, in some ways...
Totally PIVOTAL for earth's history, as Jesus is given the KEYS from leaders going back to Adam...

Where do you live?
The great state of wyoming.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on November 13th, 2016, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Brother Jones, when did they split up the Liberty Stake? Which stake is Chillicothe in now?

MollyMom
captain of 10

Post by MollyMom »

What a great quote from Elder Nelson! The insight -- more revelation follows loving service. Sure love those Brethren...

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

I also live in the Far West Missouri Stake, Maryville Ward. Our First Counselor, Brother Galbraith told us that the previous Stake Presidency, before the reorganization of this stake included Brigham Young.

Such a historic stake to be in.

I am the chief engineer for two radio towers that cover our entire Stake, KXCV 90.5 FM in Maryville is 100,000 watts and KRNW 88.9 FM in Chillicothe is 38,000 watts. With both stations booming loud and clear into AoA. I plan to broadcast the English portion of that great conference on the Maryville station and probably Spanish on the Chillicothe Station, plus I have inroads with other radio stations in our area. I look forward to helping where I can. If the Stake Leadership or any of the Ward Leadership want to deliver important community information to the entire stake all they would have to do is to call or email my station, we do that service for about any other church and organization in our community.

I believe that it is in the division of labor that we survive The Cleansing well and as comfortable as possible.

Brother Galbraith thinks that land owned by the Church right next to the Far West temple site is in line to become the State Center building lot within not too many years.

Where are we going to have our Stake Conference? The Gallatin building is the biggest chapel by far, and I could see about 750 attending there, but it lacks parking for more than about 250.

Lets grow this area, by letting others know what we have here.

Thanks for starting this thread.

God Bless,
Darren
Last edited by Darren on January 27th, 2016, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

BringerOfJoy wrote:Brother Jones, when did they split up the Liberty Stake? Which stake is Chillicothe in now?
The Far West, Missouri Stake, reorganized October 2015, is made up from units previously from the Liberty and Platte City Stakes including the Albany Branch, Cameron 1st Ward, Chillicothe Branch, Far West Ward, Gallatin Ward, Kearney 1st Ward, Kearney 3rd Ward, Maryville Ward, Trenton Branch and Wood Heights Branch.

God Bless,
Darren

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

dlbww wrote:Interesting thread. We live in the Pacific Northwest but plan on kayaking east once the Washington to California shelf drops into the ocean during the next great earthquake (perhaps that one which shakes the whole earth) and the ocean moves inland. I sent you a PM re: alternative energy (in case you didn't notice it). Perhaps there's a list somewhere in LDSFF where this is discussed?
I haven't ever heard of any parts of Washington or Oregon dropping into the ocean. When there is a major movement of the San Andreas fault, the slip-strike boundary between the Pacific and North American plates, parts of California are likely to become islands, but not Washington or Oregon.
I have come across people claiming visions of a great wave (megatsunami) coming as far inland as the Cascade Mountains (and probably much further up the Columbia River Gorge) when the asteroid referred to as Wormwood in the Bible strikes somewhere in the Pacific.I don't think a kayak will be very useful when that happens!

I hope Darren can broadcast the AOA conference, and particularly hope that he can do so on a shortwave frequency for those of us out of his area, but I sincerely doubt the electrical grid will still be up when that conference happens.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on November 13th, 2016, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

brianj wrote:I hope Darren can broadcast the AOA conference, and particularly hope that he can do so on a shortwave frequency for those of us out of his area, but I sincerely doubt the electrical grid will still be up when that conference happens.
I do have my ham license, and I also stream my radio station on the Internet.

My FM radio station has propane backup generators, and I can run the radio station for weeks on a full tank.

In our ward we have a community garden on a member’s 35 acre farm. We grow all of our own potatoes, tomatoes and many vegetables. Fruit trees, pears, peaches, apricots and apples. We also have beehives that produce honey. We have had members who have chickens for eggs, but nobody’s doing that right now.

Another notable attribute for Missouri, is that we do not have water rights assigned to available water. Which means you can have all the water you want from whatever source you can get it, and store it in any way you wish. Actually sometimes it seems there is just too much of it, things stay green practically all summer long. And although northern Missouri gets muggy in July and August, it isn’t as bad as it is further south. And I do not miss the red burn days along the Wasatch Front, so that I can burn wood in the winter, or the smog inversions, and emissions inspections.

I told my coworker that the main reason I moved to Missouri was because it isn’t illegal to be poor here, like it seems to be in Utah.

I didn’t move here just to be next to AoA but that will be a benefit, if that happens while I am here.

It is interesting to note that the Albany Branch that Dr. Jones is a member of, is upstream from AoA, and he could float down the Grand River to that conference if necessary.

By the way Dr. Jones are you aware that Girls Camp is back here at Mozingo Lake this year. Yea!

God Bless,
Darren

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Darren wrote: I do have my ham license, and I also stream my radio station on the Internet.

My FM radio station has propane backup generators, and I can run the radio station for weeks on a full tank.

In our ward we have a community garden on a member’s 35 acre farm. We grow all of our own potatoes, tomatoes and many vegetables. Fruit trees, pears, peaches, apricots and apples. We also have beehives that produce honey. We have had members who have chickens for eggs, but nobody’s doing that right now.
Now that is VERY interesting, Darren!
I'd like to know - how FAR is it to this 35 acre farm from where you live? do many members have to travel far to reach it?
Sounds like Zion! in the making!
How did you get people to be willing to travel and do this farming? and does each member/family have their OWN designated parcel in the huge "garden"??
And who weeds it?

..It is interesting to note that the Albany Branch that Dr. Jones is a member of, is upstream from AoA, and he could float down the Grand River to that conference if necessary.

By the way Dr. Jones are you aware that Girls Camp is back here at Mozingo Lake this year. Yea!

God Bless,
Darren
[/quote]

YES! I'm well aware that I could float on the Grand River from Albany to AoA...!
Did not know before about the Girls Camp location, but that is exciting news!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

dlbww wrote:Apparently you didn't read this article then: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... ly-big-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”"

I'm building skin-on-frame Wormwood proof kayaks ... we'll be just fine.
Oh, I've read that article. And ridiculed it. The Cascadia Subduction Zone isn't underneath Puget Sound, as fear mongers would have us believe, but it is hundreds of miles offshore. It is so far offshore that it would take nearly half an hour after the shaking starts for a tsunami to reach the coast at Ocean Shores. Olympia is nearly 150 miles from the nearest point of the subduction zone, and Seattle is over 180 miles away. What does this mean? As the seismic waves of that magnitude 9.0 earthquake spread out, they become less intense. Portland will get hit with a bit more intensity because it is closer, but neither of these major cities is going to be destroyed like the fear mongers trying to sell advertising want you to believe.

A worst case 7.2 earthquake on the Seattle fault would produce 2.5 times the casualties, displace about 60% more households, and leave about 60% more people in need of shelter in Washington state than a magnitude 9.0 earthquake resulting from an end-to-end Cascadia earthquake.

And remember that FEMA has through the years demonstrated that the only thing they excel at is incompetence. I put far greater trust into studies by geologists and local emergency management agencies than anything coming out of FEMA.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

LilyoftheValley wrote:
BroJones wrote:PS - any word yet on the time and place for Sister Meeks funeral? Lezlee and I wish we could be there, but are "stuck" in Penna at the moment...
Funeral Service will be held this Friday, January 29, 2016 at 1pm at the Albany Meetinghouse. Do you know who I should ask to speak at her service?
Hi! and welcome to the forum discussion! (ummm... could you identify yourself to me, perhaps privately? i'm guessing your initials are ss? ) Great to have you joining in!

I did Home Teach the Meeks for many months and enjoyed our discussions. As for speakers, of course someone from the Branch Presidency... Again - wish I could be there since I know them (yikes!) What did Alma say? "my heart did long to be there" I think he said. And Lezlee knew Sister Meek pretty well also.

Given the circumstances, that their family is not particularly active (if members, not sure of that even) - and Brother Meek is confined to a wheel chair pretty much... I guess someone from the High Priests group also would be great - like Bro. Newey (I think he knew them) or Bro. Johnson.

Its always great to hear from a Sister imho - I suspect Dianne Ashmore knew Lucina, or Debbie Johnson. Anyway, those are some ideas.
I'm praying for you all! love you guys...

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Someone asked about "freedom energy" research - I enjoy delving into this, but can't point to anything solid that you can "purchase and use" just yet.

My own work of late focuses on experiments to demonstrate non-conservation of angular momentum. A discovery along these lines would be huge in physics, and may open the door for apparent violation of "Lenz's law" and thus to a freedom energy device.

I remember telling students that "angular momentum is ALWAYS conserved" == that is the scientific dogma at this time. However, I've been thinking about this for years and... well, there may be anomalies involving electromagnetic fields. I really think there are... and I'm devising a set of experiments to test this hypothesis.

What happened to me at BYU makes me feel adventuresome in this regard - willing to stick my neck way out and say publically - "Actually, angular momentum is probably not always conserved..." at least locally -- and then to devise experiments to test this hypothesis.
http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=3237.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And now a note from President David O. McKay - thanks someone for posting these great quotes:
"Church members are at perfect liberty to act according to their own consciences in the matter of safeguarding our way of life. They are, of course, encouraged to honor the highest standards of the gospel and to work to preserve their own freedoms. They are free to participate in non-church meetings that are held to warn people of the threat of Communism or any other theory or principle that will deprive us of our free agency or individual liberties vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States….
We therefore commend and encourage every person and every group who is sincerely seeking to study Constitutional principles and awaken a sleeping and apathetic people
to the alarming conditions that are rapidly advancing about us." (April 1966, General Conference “Statement Concerning the Position of the Church on
Communism”)

"The cause of freedom is a most basic part of our religion. Our position on freedom helped get us to this earth and it can make the difference as to whether we get back home or not….
Now part of the reason why we do not have sufficient Priesthood bearers to save the Constitution, let alone to shake the powers of hell, is, I fear, because unlike Moroni, our souls do not joy in keeping our country free and we are not firm in the faith of Christ, nor have we sworn with an oath to defend our rights." (October 25, 1966, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year)

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

BroJones wrote: I'd like to know - how FAR is it to this 35 acre farm from where you live? do many members have to travel far to reach it?
Sounds like Zion! in the making!
How did you get people to be willing to travel and do this farming? and does each member/family have their OWN designated parcel in the huge "garden"??
And who weeds it?
Unfortunately as of the last couple of years, Zion is slipping away, and our community garden is looking like the efforts to hold it all together are failing. Not because of the property or location, but because some of the participants drifting farther apart in purpose.

Our community garden is 3 miles south of town just off the divided highway, 71, very easy to get to from town. In a worse case scenario it could be walked to from town, and most of the members and previous members live in town. Seven years ago we got going with this project, and had about 10 families participating.

Four years ago we had members of the Church come up from Kansas City to see what we were doing, as we had become a example of how to organize and do this kind of endevour. At it's peak the garden was supplying enough food that we were bringing truck loads off of the farm and giving away hundreds of pounds of vegetables at church, and to the food pantry for the poor. In one part of our garden, for about 3 years we had 1,000 bell pepper plants, and were selling tons of peppers to Hy-Vee in Maryville and St. Joseph and other businesses. The income paid for our farming expenses.

If a family wanted to have their own spot for their own purposes, that has been made available, and they would often share some of the unusual things they grew in their own space. But most of the community garden was done together by the entire group.

Brother Dufrain, who is in our current Stake High Council owns the farm, and he has two tractors and all of the necessary tools to do large scale farming. He is the Grandpa over the community garden, and makes the calls to individuals when something needs to be done. Then he takes notes as to who responds to the call, planting, weeding, etc. Then he makes sure that those participants get more say in what happens with the almost always bounteous harvest.

But alas things are not what they used to be, there has been some falling out as of late. One of the families that was such a stalwart in the group suddenly fell onto the Dennis Snuffer band wagon. They were members of only about 10 years, traveled to Arizona to see Dennis Suffer and then the Dad got excommunicated last October for pushing that agenda at Church, amazing.

Another big problem has been that many of the poorest among us are so distracted in trying to survive financially that they have little to no time to participate. And the more well off ones are distracted by their good fortune, and the opportunities it affords them. Our Dennis Snuffer casualty is a "man of leisure" in his early 50s. Poverty and Pride.

Brother Dufrain is in his late 70s and he is running out of steam, so I suspect we will be cutting back very much this year on the garden. What we don't farm he lets out to one of his farmer friends to come in and put it into one of the cash crops.

My situation is changing as well, and this summer I may be moving out of Maryville, to someplace close enough to commute to my job in Maryville but closer to my wife's job as a school teacher, as she may be changing schools this year and taking a job in another part of the Stake. The bees and bee keeping equipment belongs to my wife, so that will go with us.

We have learned so much by doing this community garden, and the future of it is in flux.

God Bless,
Darren

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

BroJones wrote:Someone asked about "freedom energy" research - I enjoy delving into this, but can't point to anything solid that you can "purchase and use" just yet.

My own work of late focuses on experiments to demonstrate non-conservation of angular momentum. A discovery along these lines would be huge in physics, and may open the door for apparent violation of "Lenz's law" and thus to a freedom energy device.

I remember telling students that "angular momentum is ALWAYS conserved" == that is the scientific dogma at this time. However, I've been thinking about this for years and... well, there may be anomalies involving electromagnetic fields. I really think there are... and I'm devising a set of experiments to test this hypothesis.

What happened to me at BYU makes me feel adventuresome in this regard - willing to stick my neck way out and say publically - "Actually, angular momentum is probably not always conserved..." at least locally -- and then to devise experiments to test this hypothesis.
http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=3237.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That someone would have been me. And thanks for the insight I'll look into this further.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

You're welcome, dlbww - hope this is helpful.

And THANK you, Darren! sounds like a valuable experiment, seeking to become Zion-like.
SO sorry that some succumbed and got Snuffed out! I was reading recently in 1 Nephi about those that fight against the Apostles, what happens to them... sad. PS - its Denver Snuffer (not Dennis).
Four years ago we had members of the Church come up from Kansas City to see what we were doing, as we had become a example of how to organize and do this kind of endevour. At it's peak the garden was supplying enough food that we were bringing truck loads off of the farm and giving away hundreds of pounds of vegetables at church, and to the food pantry for the poor. In one part of our garden, for about 3 years we had 1,000 bell pepper plants, and were selling tons of peppers to Hy-Vee in Maryville and St. Joseph and other businesses. The income paid for our farming expenses.

If a family wanted to have their own spot for their own purposes, that has been made available, and they would often share some of the unusual things they grew in their own space. But most of the community garden was done together by the entire group.

Brother Dufrain, who is in our current Stake High Council owns the farm, and he has two tractors and all of the necessary tools to do large scale farming. He is the Grandpa over the community garden, and makes the calls to individuals when something needs to be done. Then he takes notes as to who responds to the call, planting, weeding, etc. Then he makes sure that those participants get more say in what happens with the almost always bounteous harvest.

But alas things are not what they used to be, there has been some falling out as of late. One of the families that was such a stalwart in the group suddenly fell onto the Dennis Snuffer band wagon. They were members of only about 10 years, traveled to Arizona to see Dennis Suffer and then the Dad got excommunicated last October for pushing that agenda at Church, amazing.

Another big problem has been that many of the poorest among us are so distracted in trying to survive financially that they have little to no time to participate. And the more well off ones are distracted by their good fortune, and the opportunities it affords them. Our Dennis Snuffer casualty is a "man of leisure" in his early 50s. Poverty and Pride.
About Poverty - this is a big problem. Do you know of any jobs between Gallatin and Maryville? A computer-oriented worker has a low-paying job and is seeking something better...

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Bro. Jones, how close are you to Gallatin? You might know a good friend of mine.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

BroJones wrote:About Poverty - this is a big problem. Do you know of any jobs between Gallatin and Maryville? A computer-oriented worker has a low-paying job and is seeking something better...
I used to be the employment specialist for our ward, and to me getting high paying jobs for our people is a real problem that I have been trying so hard to help solve.

The problem stems from not having LDS employers in this area. Rural areas are notorious for nepotism and religious discrimination, and being LDS is the same as being an outsider and a newcomer and discriminated against.

My good friend that went over to the Denver Snuffer Camp has the capital to build a really great LDS business, but he got so goofy over Denver Snuffer I could no longer talk about working on getting high paying work for our people.

Poverty in our area will continue to be a big problem as we get closer to The Cleansing.

I know what needs to be done, but I can't get the greed out of the people who I believe could make a difference, by helping our people have access to high paying work.

We have had a computer repair guy in our ward, and no surprise to me is that most LDS people will not offer fair pay to have a guy fix their computer. He had to move away from the area. I can fix computers but I won't do it for ward members because they will burry me and I will have no time for anything else and will not get compensated for my expertize. Lucky for me in my day job I am appreciated for my computer repair skills, as I also know how to fix 100,000 watts transmitters.

Our newly reorganized stake has a lot of work to get back to the work together principles that were in the original Far West Stake. We need to recruit people who can help build LDS businesses in our area.

God Bless,
Darren

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Well said, Darren. We're seeing the same problems (no surprise) - and I think we have the same overall goal - to build Zion up in preparation for His coming. Yep, a cleansing must come 1st... the scriptures say so. (Parable of the 10 virgins, wheat and tares, etc)
marc wrote:Bro. Jones, how close are you to Gallatin? You might know a good friend of mine.
HI, Marc! glad you're still here
I'm about 50 minutes from Gallatin - which is where our Stake Center is presently located. Much better than the drive in our previous stake, before the split-off (before we went to Platte City, about 1.5 hour drive).