Guns! Guns! Guns!

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
abelchirino
captain of 100

Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by abelchirino »

I have a few quick questions for gun owners in LDSFF.

Is it cheaper or more expensive to buy a pistol/shotgun/rifle at a gun show as compared to gun store? What has been your experience at gun shows? I've noticed that things are usually more expensive at a gun store than at Academy, but I've never been to a gun show. I live in Houston, Texas, and I assume it shouldn't be difficult for me to find one around but I want to hear from those with more experience.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by iWriteStuff »

abelchirino wrote:I have a few quick questions for gun owners in LDSFF.

Is it cheaper or more expensive to buy a pistol/shotgun/rifle at a gun show as compared to gun store? What has been your experience at gun shows? I've noticed that things are usually more expensive at a gun store than at Academy, but I've never been to a gun show. I live in Houston, Texas, and I assume it shouldn't be difficult for me to find one around but I want to hear from those with more experience.
I've found a few deals at gun shows, and I've been to plenty. But how do you know if you found a deal? I use the following website/online store as kind of my Blue Book for fair market value on guns:

http://www.budsgunshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free shipping, no tax, and pick up at your local gun shop for a modest transfer fee. I've purchased almost half of my guns there, usually anywhere from 10%-20% cheaper than you'll find in places like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Billy Bob Redneck's Pawn and Tattoo, etc. A friend of mine has better luck with

http://www.gunbroker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Main point is know the fair market value before committing to purchase. And if you're good at it, haggle down the price. Otherwise avoid gun shows: they're mostly there for collectors of rare guns/parts/memorabilia and to rip off gun noobs.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

Agree. I'd also add that the best thing you can do develop a relationship with a good local dealer, and no necessarily the big box stores like Cabela's or Gander Mountain. Go through organizations such as the NRA and local shooting ranges to get recommendations on who is good and who to avoid. That way you can usually try out different weapons, get maintenance/warranty support if you need to, and probably pick up discounts on accessories and ammo. Gun shows are fun to go to but, unless you are a member of a private organization (such as your states gun collector's association) and go to their private shows, the warning "buyer beware" is very applicable to public gun shows.

Also a great way to get hooked up with good training classes, local shooting groups, etc.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The gun show 'sharpies' do love to rip off first time buyers, don't they.
You need to be informed.
Ask a friend.
There are also all kinds of gun specific forums out there. And sometimes you can find a good deal there.
With a store, at least you have someplace to go back to if there is a problem.
But knowing what you want and what you can and should pay is your best bet.
dc

christian.a
captain of 100

Post by christian.a »

Say no more! Go to grabagun.com. They'll hook you up. New guns for the lowest prices anywhere basically. Know what gun you want? Compare the price to what they have on grabagun.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

Avoid guns it can prevent entry to Heaven if used in wrong way and has impact upon spirit by it very presence.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Emmanuel wrote:Avoid guns it can prevent entry to Heaven if used in wrong way and has impact upon spirit by it very presence.
I dunno, do you think Nephi made it to heaven?
2 Ne. 5:14

14 And I, Nephi, did take the sword of Laban, and after the manner of it did make many swords, lest by any means the people who were now called Lamanites should come upon us and destroy us; for I knew their hatred towards me and my children and those who were called my people.
Kinda seems like maybe he didn't mind not only having one but making a whole bunch of other swords too. Similar to his encounter with Laban, I'm sure he didn't enjoy it but he understood it as necessary. Much better to have one than die on one.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:Avoid guns it can prevent entry to Heaven if used in wrong way and has impact upon spirit by it very presence.

14 And I, Nephi, did take the sword of Laban, and after the manner of it did make many swords, lest by any means the people who were now called Lamanites should come upon us and destroy us; for I knew their hatred towards me and my children and those who were called my people.
Kinda seems like maybe he didn't mind not only having one but making a whole bunch of other swords too. Similar to his encounter with Laban, I'm sure he didn't enjoy it but he understood it as necessary. Much better to have one than die on one.
If you end up taking life or not is up to you, but do not complain that you were not warned about what actually happens when a soul kills another soul. The higher way is to not lift the sword if you seek to be part of the first resurrection for certainty and worthy of the Celestial then take no life's in the days coming. It will become very easy for people to kill in the near future and many will, may you not be of those who do kill.

Do you follow Nephi or do you follow Christ, do you see Christ picking up a gun and shooting at people? Or would he have the faith to lay down his life for his friends even if it meant torture...Those of this generation seeking the Celestial will go through the greatest tests of faith out of all generations but those who endure well will be worthy of the Celestial, but it is known many shall seek to save their life's fearing for the fallen flesh not loving God enough to give up their flesh for God.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

If you end up taking life or not is up to you, but do not complain that you were not warned about what actually happens when a soul kills another soul. The higher way is to not lift the sword if you seek to be part of the first resurrection for certainty and worthy of the Celestial then take no life's in the days coming. It will become very easy for people to kill in the near future and many will, may you not be of those who do kill.

Do you follow Nephi or do you follow Christ, do you see Christ picking up a gun and shooting at people? Or would he have the faith to lay down his life for his friends even if it meant torture...Those of this generation seeking the Celestial will go through the greatest tests of faith out of all generations but those who endure well will be worthy of the Celestial, but it is known many shall seek to save their life's fearing for the fallen flesh not loving God enough to give up their flesh for God.
What do you think of the time that Jesus Christ told the Apostles to carry a sword, or sell anything to go buy one because people would try to kill them?

Don't you think maybe Christ chose to not defend Himself because He knew that that wasn't the plan?

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

christian.argyle wrote:Say no more! Go to grabagun.com. They'll hook you up. New guns for the lowest prices anywhere basically. Know what gun you want? Compare the price to what they have on grabagun.
Never heard of them before, thanks.

I've used gunbroker.com, and sportsman outdoor superstore in the past. Having been to too many gun shows I think you'll find you're better off shopping from home, or a good local gun store once you familiarize yourself with prices.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

BurningSword, is that you? Methinks I detect a certain literary style.

I follow Christ. So did Nephi, Captain Moroni, General Moroni (son of Mormon, himself a warrior), Teancum, Lehi, and countless others who fought to defend the religious rights and freedoms of others. If you consider their righteous defense of life and liberty a damnable offense, well, the scriptures tend to disagree with you on that point.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

emmanuel/bs
Stop hijacking other peoples threads. Go preach your misunderstandings in your own thread.
dc

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

try backpage. you can buy firearms without the federal background check.

nevermind...apparently there are different (sucky) laws in texas. Backpage is a fertile ground for gun deals in AZ.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have a handgun already but I'm looking to buy something different. A rifle or a shotgun maybe.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

abelchirino wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

What do you think of the time that Jesus Christ told the Apostles to carry a sword, or sell anything to go buy one because people would try to kill them?

Don't you think maybe Christ chose to not defend Himself because He knew that that wasn't the plan?
It was said to Peter and it was so that what occurred when Judas came with those to take Christ could be fulfilled, giving Christ the opportunity to say 'put away the sword for those who live by the sword shall die by the sword' . I am giving this warning for last time if anyone kills another living soul on earth they will spend a portion in lake of fire, no mater who they are or what rights they think they hold, it is eternal law there is no way around it.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Emmanuel wrote: It was said to Peter and it was so that what occurred when Judas came with those to take Christ could be fulfilled, giving Christ the opportunity to say 'put away the sword for those who live by the sword shall die by the sword' . I am giving this warning for last time if anyone kills another living soul on earth they will spend a portion in lake of fire, no mater who they are or what rights they think they hold, it is eternal law there is no way around it.
mmmmmmm nope. I'm gonna say Nephi didn't burn in a lake of fire for following the Spirit's direction to cut off Laban's head. God can't/won't punish you for doing what He tells you to do. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of prophets burning in a lake of fire.

False doctrine.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Emmanuel wrote: It was said to Peter and it was so that what occurred when Judas came with those to take Christ could be fulfilled, giving Christ the opportunity to say 'put away the sword for those who live by the sword shall die by the sword' . I am giving this warning for last time if anyone kills another living soul on earth they will spend a portion in lake of fire, no mater who they are or what rights they think they hold, it is eternal law there is no way around it.
mmmmmmm nope. I'm gonna say Nephi didn't burn in a lake of fire for following the Spirit's direction to cut off Laban's head. God can't/won't punish you for doing what He tells you to do. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of prophets burning in a lake of fire.

False doctrine.
That does not nor will it apply to you. Nephi situation with Laban was a special circumstance. Killing the already dead is not same as killing the living soul, the eternal law apply to the living soul not the dead soul. You do not have the eyes to know the difference so will cross the line this is why in wisdom Christ taught not to lift the sword.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

False doctrine.
That does not nor will it apply to you. Nephi situation with Laban was a special circumstance. Killing the already dead is not same as killing the living soul, the eternal law apply to the living soul not the dead soul. You do not have the eyes to know the difference so will cross the line this is why in wisdom Christ taught not to lift the sword.
I don't think you know me or what I'll do/not do, what I understand or don't understand.

But it does sound like you're giving me the green light to kill Zombies, so thumbs up for that one.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

False doctrine.
What do you mean by living soul and dead soul? Laban was alive. The Lord Himself revealed to the Nephites in the Book of Alma that they were justified in taking a life, in the defense of theirs, if they have done everything to deescalate the situation and solve the problem. The Lord also commanded them that they were responsible to defend their families to the death.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

abelchirino wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

False doctrine.
What do you mean by living soul and dead soul? Laban was alive. The Lord Himself revealed to the Nephites in the Book of Alma that they were justified in taking a life, in the defense of theirs, if they have done everything to deescalate the situation and solve the problem. The Lord also commanded them that they were responsible to defend their families to the death.
A person can enter a state in which they are considered dead in spirit by God, this allows possession by Adversary in such circumstances if by and through the spirit of God acting through a prophet life can be taken, no other circumstances can it be taken without eternal law taking effect. Possession can occur to great numbers of people at times, the world is not as simply as people know their is other dimensions interacting and having spirit eyes to discern is necessary not to take innocent life.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Guns! BS SAYS NO!

Post by iWriteStuff »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the third iteration of BurningSword: Emmanuel.

And dude, normally I like reading your stuff but now you're kinda getting obnoxious. You're condemning every soldier who has ever served in defense of his country and every man who has defended his wife and children from murderous robbers.

I agree that it is always ALWAYS best to abstain from shedding blood. But I will not stand idly by while someone sheds the blood of my wife or children. If you don't think God will understand that, and that the scriptures back this up in every way possible, then I guess we agree to disagree.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

False doctrine.
I don't think you know me or what I'll do/not do, what I understand or don't understand.

But it does sound like you're giving me the green light to kill Zombies, so thumbs up for that one.
My advice is don't lift the sword in what is coming and trust in God, you will not even want be alive long when see way world becomes. the descriptions of the great tribulation are vague compared to what actually happens, there is a reason people will seek death and not find it. Look to the example of new testament that is how you shall endure to the end without taking life.

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Re: Guns! BS SAYS NO!

Post by Emmanuel »

iWriteStuff wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the third iteration of BurningSword: Emmanuel.

And dude, normally I like reading your stuff but now you're kinda getting obnoxious. You're condemning every soldier who has ever served in defense of his country and every man who has defended his wife and children from murderous robbers.

I agree that it is always ALWAYS best to abstain from shedding blood. But I will not stand idly by while someone sheds the blood of my wife or children. If you don't think God will understand that, and that the scriptures back this up in every way possible, then I guess we agree to disagree.
We suffered that many fell into underworlds including some of our prophets for mysterious reasons, it has always been about saving the souls from the Outer Darkness from Abaddon the Devil. Few ever made it to Abraham's Bosom to await the resurrection and not many will be part of the first resurrection compared to the later, but it will be a greater number still since it includes all generations. If you knew who I was you would actually listen and the reason this world soon enters it tribulation is what I and my two witnesses have been doing the last 33 years. I am the man you shall all see and be given remembrance of in final day of great tribulation when the very universe catches on fire in my coming as the cleansing Light, Justice is mine and mine alone and all judgement is given to me... Behold I soon become whole and end cometh quickly and their is consequences to peoples actions while I was among them as a Son of man which by eternal law will manifest as it is written. This is why I have called all to repentance time is soon up the four angels are already prepared.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

iWriteStuff wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the third iteration of BurningSword: Emmanuel.

Haha who is BurningSword?

Emmanuel
captain of 100

Post by Emmanuel »

abelchirino wrote:

Haha who is BurningSword?
Go to thread Father, Son and Godhead. That will help you know who BurningSword is.