General Authority Quotes About Preparedness

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
DexterBoo
Hi, I'm new.

General Authority Quotes About Preparedness

Post by DexterBoo »

I saw a quote recently that is attributed to President Harold B. Lee, but I cannot locate a source for it. Here is the quote: “If you knew what I knew, you would pile it up (referring to food storage) in the middle of the floor, throw a cloth over it and walk around it!”

While the spirit of the quote comes through (make sure you've got your food storage) which is good advice regardless of whether this is an actual quote or not, I still need to know when and where this was said before I would fell comfortable sharing it.

Anyone have any more insight on this?

Thanks.

DexterBoo
Hi, I'm new.

Re: General Authority Quotes About Preparedness

Post by DexterBoo »

Well, the fact that my original post has been up for over a month, currently has 264 views, and not one person has provided a source on the dubious Harold B. Lee quote makes me think the quote is spurious.

LDS Dude
captain of 50

Post by LDS Dude »

I saw several mentions of it on the Internet, but no original source.

leisure_59
captain of 10

Post by leisure_59 »

President Harold B. Lee – “If you knew what I knew, you would pile it up (referring to food storage) in the middle of the floor, throw a cloth over it and walk around it!” (This quote hangs on the wall in the Bishops Warehouse in Jacksonville, FL.)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

For me, this has been the most troubling of commandments. For 56 years I have concerned myself with compliance, expecting that at any time we would need to fall back on that and our home gardens.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

lundbaek wrote:For me, this has been the most troubling of commandments. For 56 years I have concerned myself with compliance, expecting that at any time we would need to fall back on that and our home gardens.
Interesting point.... Over the last few years as my wife and I sacrificed to build up our preparations and food storage, the joke behind it was always "Won't it be great when we're in our 80's and never had to use any of this stuff?" :-s

That being said, the obedience has been a faith building experience. That, and we've learned how to rotate food storage into our meals so that it never goes bad and always serves a purpose. When we use some up, we buy some more - usually more than we used. By the time I hit 80, I'm sure I will have eaten a lot of this stuff. :ymparty:

FamilyFunnyFarm
captain of 50

Post by FamilyFunnyFarm »

I've needed my food storage. I've used it to feed a hungry family when that's all I had to spare. We had 8 months of no income and another 8 months of little income due to my husband's disability and me unable to work being the caretaker of him and 3 kids. It doesn't necessarily have to be a disaster that causes us to use it.

Tree
captain of 100

Post by Tree »

lundbaek wrote:For me, this has been the most troubling of commandments. For 56 years I have concerned myself with compliance, expecting that at any time we would need to fall back on that and our home gardens.
The Lord works in an earthly pace not in chaos of time. Patience.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

If more people were prepared, perhaps the Lord would have more good options

vickirush
Hi, I'm new.

Post by vickirush »

Here's a thought: What if the Lord has been telling us for all these years to get a year's supply so that we, as a people, will become used to it, learn how to use it, learn how to maintain it - and that the majority of us will be prepared and be able to help each other - so that when the trials and tribulations of the last days come crashing down on us we will already have that part of the problem taken care of and will be able to deal with everything else as it comes? So many times in the scriptures we find the Lord's timing to be just after what men believe and so it shocks the unbeliever but the believers know it's coming and it's coming soon and they wait in faith.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

I heard an anecdotal story about Gordon B. Hinckley attending a wedding reception. He asked the bride and groom what they were doing for their honeymoon. They told him about the exotic locale they would be traveling to and he told them, "If you knew what I know, you would cancel your trip and spend the money of food storage."

One of those stories that goes around and can never be proven or discovered where or when it was first told. In fact, I can't even remember where or when I heard it, or who told it to me. :-\
Last edited by paulrobots on August 24th, 2016, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

paulrobots wrote:I heard an anecdotal story about Gordon B. Hinckley attending a wedding reception. He asked the bride and groom what they were doing for their honeymoon. They told him about the exotic locale they would be traveling to and he told them, "If you knew what I know, you would cancel your trip and spend the money of food storage."

One of those stories that goes around and can never be proven our discovered where or when it was first told. In fact, I can't even remember where or when I heard it, or who told it to me. :-\
I heard this one too, but can't remember where. I think it was someone saying their friend was at the wedding. The version I heard was, "go on a more modest honeymoon and use the rest of the money to start your food storage."
Probably untrue, but good advice regardless.

bonnyswann
Hi, I'm new.

Post by bonnyswann »

I came across that quote by Harold B, Lee on the church website in one of his talks, it was written. I am looking for it now. So you can use that quote! I do and I went out and bougt book cases to put behind my couch for food. Great idea huh? That quote was enough for me.

Aprhys
captain of 1,000

Post by Aprhys »

So what kind of jerk does a man have to be to have some sort of insider knowledge about some imminent catastrophy and refuses to notify those who are under his protection and looking for the man to guide and direct them? Isnt it kind of the job of a so called "prophet," to want his flock at large rather than to give out pieces of minutiae here and there to couples at wedding receptions? I have stopped worrying about food storage. If crap hits the fan I'll ride it out as long as I can and probably end up a corpse on my front porch swing, gripping my AK in my hands tight while my dogs gnaw on my rancid corpse.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Aprhys wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:22 pm So what kind of jerk does a man have to be to have some sort of insider knowledge about some imminent catastrophy and refuses to notify those who are under his protection and looking for the man to guide and direct them? Isnt it kind of the job of a so called "prophet," to want his flock at large rather than to give out pieces of minutiae here and there to couples at wedding receptions? I have stopped worrying about food storage. If crap hits the fan I'll ride it out as long as I can and probably end up a corpse on my front porch swing, gripping my AK in my hands tight while my dogs gnaw on my rancid corpse.
I think it's not so much of an event they know about as much as an attitude. If you have the attitude of lavish traveling, you have a large problem. You are likely addicted to the luxury lifestyle and will make sacrifices in your "spiritual life" to get luxury. You cannot serve God and Mammon.

Additionally, as it applies to the end of times, if you can forgo luxuries to get essentials and learn what life is really made of, then you'll be able to see through the last times conspiracies. For example, if you know that food has to be grown, harvested, bagged, shipped and so forth before it arrives at your door, you might not get caught off-guard when the government's solution is to print money so everyone can buy food. You'd be like "Hey, this sounds like a plan that makes no sense." Etcetera.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to accept death if that situation arises. Most of us will probably die anyway, but we will just have to endure longer because we have a food storage. My only concern is that not having food storage would make someone more likely to accept the mark rather than accept death.