What is your Ebola plan?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Ruby
captain of 100

What is your Ebola plan?

Post by Ruby »

I’m curious. With this Ebola threat, at what point would you pull your kids out of school or stop going out in public? If you lived in Dallas would you be changing your daily routine? Will you wait until it gets to your state? Will you wait until someone is actually diagnosed in your city or just as soon as there’s a lot of sickness? Have you already started making preparations? I’m just wondering what everyone’s plan is.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: What is your Ebola plan?

Post by iWriteStuff »

Got a friend in Dallas.

Her response? "Gosh, it's not like the whole city is infected...."

My brother the doctor: "The CDC has got this under control."

Me? Be watchful and ready to shelter in place or move quickly if necessary.

Then again, please see signature below.

myeyesareopen
captain of 50

Post by myeyesareopen »

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same thing lately, and I've been praying that we'll know without a doubt when the time is right to hunker down in our home. I don't know if it is this, or if it will be something else, but I strongly feel that at some point it will be unsafe to leave our homes. And now I'm wondering, if we'll all have to decide what point that is for ourselves, or will it be an obvious thing that many people are doing.

I stay at home with our youngest kids - ages 3 and 4. Our oldest son is in school - first grade. I have kind of been leaning in the homeschool direction in my mind for a few months, but now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and take that leap. My husband is a police officer at a big university here. I also, wonder if there will come a time when he should just stay home with us. We definitely don't have that kind of money, and cashing in his retirement and 401k could help for a little while, but I worry about him and what he will be exposed to on campus and by the hospital.

I am eager to hear what other people's plans are. I don't think this is just going to go away any time soon.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

iWriteStuff wrote:Got a friend in Dallas.

Her response? "Gosh, it's not like the whole city is infected...."

My brother the doctor: "The CDC has got this under control."

Me? Be watchful and ready to shelter in place or move quickly if necessary.

Then again, please see signature below.
Side note: my brother is a pathologist not far from Dallas. That means he performs autopsies. I'm guessing maybe his response is more "necessary optimism" than anything else since he's on the front lines of disease control and likely one of the first exposed if it all gets crazy down there.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I saw a prepper show with a lady from Alpine. She had plastic and tape to seal off her house.
Of course food and water. I feel like its going to be ok somehow though. Hope it's just an Oct. surprise.
I hate vaccinations. If they start an e bola Vaccine will everyone get one? Oh and of course everyone pray for
a cure.

Ruby
captain of 100

Post by Ruby »

I'm not going to seal off my house with plastic but I will take my kids out of school and all activities/lessons if it hits the schools in my state. I've homeschooled before. I can do it again. :-s I don't think I'd trust the Ebola Vaccine.

myeyesareopen
captain of 50

Post by myeyesareopen »

I don't trust a vaccine either at this point. I am using this time to make sure I have my first aid stuff and essential oils though.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Nothing. There is no outbreak - see ebola hoax thread. No plan needed except refuse whatever vaccine is recommended.

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

The problem with Ebola is a person who contracts this particular disease before they show the symptoms and become contagious can be as long as twenty-one days. That means if kids in your school contracted the disease they may spend as much as twenty-one days in school with your kids before they show any symptoms.

The day you pull your kids out of school may be a day too late.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

I keep getting a feeling that this isn't going to be a big problem right now for my family...and I'm in Texas with family in Ft. Worth, right next to Dallas. I began homeschooling last year after a prompting the year before that it was right for my son. I have to say that homeschooling has brought a lot of peace during this outbreak.

I see the wisdom of having a well thought-out, full 3 month supply of food should we need to quarantine ourselves. (Sadly, if a portion of the country is quarantined it's economy may be pretty badly damaged.) I'm teaching a class at the end of October in my ward about how to begin your 3 month supply in a very easy, logical way. PM me your email address if you want me to send you the word document handout I'm going to use. Several of my friends with no stored food are feeling the nudge to be obedient to what we have been counseled to do so I understand if others are having that same feeling. :)

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

Last night my wife and I went to a wedding reception in SLC. It was crowded. There was no way for me to know if any of the people near me had Ebola or not. I have read enough to believe that it is quite possible for it to be spread by sneezing or coughing.

All the reports we read are about people who made it to the hospital. What about those who can't make it to the hospital? What about illegal immigrants?

The second person to test positive for Ebola flew the night before and could have infected many people who might be infecting many others.

The bottom line is that I might be surrounded by Ebola and not know it until it is too late. So, what can I do? Quarantine myself? I don't think we were meant to live in fear, that seems contrary to the Gospel. That leaves just a few options:
1. Live the gospel.
2. Magnify my priesthood calling.
3. Avoid sick people when out in public.
4. Use hand sanitizer after going out in public.
5. Be prepared for a quarantine.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

I work in an ED. We have had a couple people come in wanting to be checked for Ebola. So far both were negative. I think a bigger threat is if Ebola goes into Brazil or Central America. We may have sporatic cases in the US but I am hoping the government gets tougher on travel restrictions.

In my opinion, any citizens coming from Western Africa should be quarantined for 21 days before they are allowed into the country. Non-citizens should not be given visas.

If I evaluate and diagnosis an Ebola patient in my ED, I will not go home but quarantine myself from my family for 21 days thereafter. I am not going to potentially expose my family to it. If Ebola becomes more of a widespread thing, and I start seeing cases routinely in the ED, I may have to just live apart indefinitely.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

We see a holistic doctor and I asked him this very question. He said the best thing you can do is to keep your immune system healthy aka no candy, no gmo, more veggies and probiotics, no fast food,etc. Take supplements now to keep your body healthy so that your immune system has the tools to do what is was made to do. I believe Heavenly Father created out bodies to fight any disease it may come into contact with but we don't do enough maintenance to keep our bodies running properly. The flu is around all year long but people get it in the winter- why? That's when the worst overload of junk food is! Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are all holidays where we traditionally don't get enough rest and over indulge ourselves and our kids on pure junk food for 4 months straight. Not to mention that most birthdays are around this time,too, so let's add cake and icecream.
Doing homeschooling does make me feel better since a student in a local school was just diagnosed with the enterovirus and they are bringing the ebola nurse patient to Emory Hospital, close to where we live. But I am stocking up on antiviral supplements and preparing for any type of quarantine this winter as a precaution. I think the Spirit is the biggest source we should listen to definitely.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Ruby wrote:I’m curious. With this Ebola threat, at what point would you pull your kids out of school or stop going out in public? If you lived in Dallas would you be changing your daily routine? Will you wait until it gets to your state? Will you wait until someone is actually diagnosed in your city or just as soon as there’s a lot of sickness? Have you already started making preparations? I’m just wondering what everyone’s plan is.

I encourage a solution based on this study:

http://www.thyroidscience.com/reviews/d ... .19.09.pdf

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

I'm relying on the promises of Psalm 91

1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

That being said, I'm storing my food, and listening to every prompting I get from the Spirit. The first time I get, "Stay your family in your house." That door is shut. No one in or out until the Spirit tells me otherwise. I believe it is already among us. Yesterday, I heard on the radio, very casually commented, how the 2nd Texas victim was being transported to Emory in Atlanta. Also, Emory has been secretly treating a 3rd victim, yet to be named. I think it may be one of the health care workers who treated the first 2 they had. The 2nd Texas victim has been to Cleveland. God only knows how many people were contaminated during that little adventure. Julie Rowe says this will be a major epidemic followed by a worse one. So, yeah, I'm getting serious about the quarantining myself scenario. :-ss

Charley
captain of 50

Post by Charley »

Thanks for your list sen6b. Great ideas.
Anyone have any other ideas to improve our immune systems in advance or ways they plan to combat if it comes your way?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

How about Vitamin C as a plan against Ebola.
Vitamin C Foundation wrote:Maybe if those jerk experts would put aside concerns for the profits of the drug industry and test these hemorrhaging patients for their blood levels of vitamin C and then treat the acute induced systemic scurvy with massive doses of intravenous sodium ascorbate to neutralize the killing free radicals, to stop the suffering, stop the hemorrhaging, and if done soon enough properly, cure some of the patients

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I am not going to bet my life that this is a hoax. I am taking it seriously and preparing the best I can. We are ripe with wickedness and the Lord has promised us plagues, famines, calamities and wars. The Lord has stayed His hand for a long time; we can't expect Him to stay it forever.

chemish
captain of 100

Post by chemish »

sen6b wrote:I don't see how this can be a hoax..that's ridiculous.
Idk, just because something is on the news and the internet doesn't make it true, there are a lot of agendas out there. Ebola reminds me of the H1N1 crap. And aids/HIV. But that's another topic entirely.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

From Jon rappoport's site
There are several ways to create and manage a fake epidemic.

For example, the agency in charge invents case numbers and death numbers—and then, after they introduce the vaccine or the drug, they change those numbers. They lower them. The cut them down. And they say, “We won. We beat the virus with the vaccine.”

This certainly happened in the “Swine Flu crisis” of 2009. The CDC and WHO blew up the case numbers to absurd heights…and then shut the whole operation down by saying the numbers had dropped to negligible levels.

And they declared victory.
...how the polio numbers were manipulated.

Before the introduction of the vaccine, the Infantile Paralysis Foundation was paying doctors all over the US $25 for each diagnosis of polio. That stipend served to expand case numbers.

A patient with a limp and a fever who walked into a doctor’s office…polio. And 25 bucks for the doctor. (In today’s money, $222.71.)

About half of all cases of polio-paralysis cured themselves within 60 days. So after the polio vaccine was introduced, the definition of polio was changed: suddenly, to rate a polio diagnosis, the paralysis had to last longer than 60 days. This change automatically caused a drastic drop in case numbers—and that reduction was attributed to the effect of the vaccine.
This type of stuff continues to go on even today.
sen6b wrote:My husband had h1n1. And are they just making up all these dying people over in Africa? To they have paid actors pretending to be sick and dying?
Those are in fact actors pretending to be sick. See this overview of some cnn and nytimes footage :
http://youtu.be/KQu18bom5nw

There are many parallels to other 'outbreaks' that went nowhere and were based on nothing. I know it is disturbing to think of being lied to on so many fronts, but it happens all too often.
Last edited by nvr on October 16th, 2014, 7:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Ebola is real. The Church reported that two LDS members there died from it.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

from jon r.'s site
But wait. What about real numbers of people who have Ebola, who are dying from Ebola?

The real numbers? First of all, in every so-called epidemic, most cases are diagnosed by “eyeball.” The patient has a few general symptoms that are flu-like, he’s been in a certain country…bang. He’s a case number.

Any actual fatalities are not being distinguished from standard Malaria or dengue fever.

chemish
captain of 100

Post by chemish »

sen6b wrote:
kathyn wrote:Ebola is real. The Church reported that two LDS members there died from it.
But remember Kathyn our leaders are no longer "inspired men" they could be mistaken. ;)
I have a sister just like you. Her nickname when we were kids was "the instigator". You guys would probably get along. ;)

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-1 ... nded-indef" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Connecticut apparently is using the opportunity to take away more constitutional rights for an indefinite period of time. They declared a state of emergency until the epidemic is over. You can officially be forced to be quarantined/taken into isolation if suspected of being at risk.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

"After Armageddon" expert: 90 days for a pandemic to end. = 3 months. If you are under quarantine/ self-quarantine, you'd need some food. Church leaders have been saying "e months" for a while, then 1 year. Hmmm...