Moving towards Self-sufficiency

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Moving towards Self-sufficiency

Post by shadow »

dlbww wrote:
Yes I do spend a fair bit of time on this project in the season thereof but I still have a regular business (woodworking) that occupies much of my time.
I'm still amazed with your detailed woodworking talent. It's been over 20 years since I saw your trucks but I still remember them.

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

In an ever increasing world of bureaucracy and red tape improperly lauded as vehicles to make us safer there are still some things we can do to improve our position in life. One of those I emphatically declare is growing your own clean food on fertile soil. We cannot lose contact with the soil; "Many others have followed the counsel to have their own gardens wherever it is possible so that we do not lose contact with the soil and so that we can have the security of being able to provide at least some of our food and necessities." (Spencer W. Kimball, April 1978)

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

This morning I took a break from the workshop to prepare some persimmons and peppers for the dehydrator (basically clean up some counter space). As I did so I listened to an interview done last year by Nicole Foss, one of my favorite economists. The interview was on peak oil, financial crisis, resilience and more, etc. Not only is Nicole quite brilliant but she seems to have a good grasp (based on her previous forecasts) on where society is going. Towards the end of the interview (which is quite lengthy at almost 2 hrs; although by the end I was wishing it was longer) she makes this comment, "You can have freedom if you don't have debt. You can live in a way that allows you to sleep at night to not be constantly worried about whether or not your next pay cheque's come and whether you're going to be able to pay the mortgage and all these other things. When you know how to live simply the sense of freedom can be just overwhelming. There's nothing as additive as freedom and there's nothing as attractive either."

The whole video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNvmIf ... s9&index=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sense of freedom can be had whether you live in the city or the country, it's more of a state of mind than it is a place. For me I feel a great sense of freedom being out of debt, being self-employed, growing a portion of our own food organically and the ability to expand that initiative, etc.. Under the guidance of my Heavenly Father I am responsible for me and the thought of that is overwhelming. God has not placed any limitations on me or on what I can accomplish using my creative ability.

I could be mistaken but I don't think the economy is going to go suddenly south (I think a slow collapse with a few glitches along the way down is more realistic). That being said I do see a host of problems coming in the not to distant future for those who are not self-reliant who have placed too much trust in governments on every level and their ability to deliver on their promises. I see uniformed bureaucrats panicking/hyperventilating over climate change, peak oil, water shortages, or? (call it UN Agenda 2030) because they don't understand God's time frame, that "For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves." (D&C 104:17) And I think there is a need to prepare if we want to keep any semblance of agency.

The experiment continues ....