Nylon tent vs Canvas tent

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Sandinista
captain of 100

Re: Nylon tent vs Canvas tent

Postby Sandinista » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 am

You don't need a tent. Just buy some good weapons, ammo, and then look around and take the tent you want (wait for someone else to carry it to wherever you're going and get it all set up for you). When it wears our just "liberate" another one from someone who can't stop you! :)

Just kidding, let's not get everyone jumping all over me!

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

BackBlast
captain of 100

Postby BackBlast » Thu May 18, 2017 1:29 am

iWriteStuff wrote:
Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:40 am
Long term usage. I've got an eight person two room nylon tent, but I've been told that ain't gonna cut it for long term (6 months to year) usage. I also have tarps aplenty, and find it much more economical (ie: cheaper) but if that's not going to be as good, well, maybe I'll just have to sacrifice a bit longer until I can find something better.
UV eats most tent material pretty rapidly if used "long term". This goes for both nylon and canvas. Canvas will hold up better, but the delta could be measured in months and not years. Actual date ranges will depend on altitude, but I'm guessing you get about 1 month to 3 months out of a nylon tent before the UV eats it to the point of material failure through use or wind. Canvas might go as long as 5-7 months before similar failure.

You can hit much much longer numbers if you keep your tent out of the sun.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Postby brianj » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't recall seeing this thread before, so let me throw my two cents in.

How are you planning to get to where you set up the tent, and do you plan to set up shop there long term or do you plan to be mobile? If you are driving to your destination and parking right by the tent site, canvas will probably be the choice you want. It's durable, canvas tents are usually significantly larger than nylon tents, and you can put a stove inside. But they are heavy and bulky so if you need to carry it somewhere, especially if you need to do so on a regular basis, you will want something more compact and less heavy. If I wanted the option to be mobile but planned on long term use, I would buy a four season nylon tent.

Something else I would do, at least in the beginning if I were planning to stay put for more than a couple of nights, is to pull out a 12 x 12 foot tarp and some paracord so I can hang the tarp above the tent to help protect it from the elements. In the longer term I would probably use available resources to built a better shelter.

Sasquatch
captain of 10

Postby Sasquatch » Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Silver wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:25 am
That's a great first post. I see you have a tent stove in there. From the picture, it doesn't look cold enough to require a stove, but I'm no expert on camping in the mountains. What brand stove do you use? How much does it weigh? How do you carry it to the camp site?
Nights in the mountains can be chilly even during the warmer months.

Return to “Emergency Preparedness & Self-sufficiency”