Self-Sufficient Communities, the next level of preparedness

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
FreedomWorks
captain of 10

Self-Sufficient Communities, the next level of preparedness

Postby FreedomWorks » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:06 am

Seems to me that a very valuable way to be prepared and achieve self-sufficiency would be in a small cooperative community. The closer that community got to 100% self-sufficiency, the less painful a national economic depression or collapse would be to them. Remember the old saying, "United we stand, divided we fall"? As people who value preparedness and self-sufficiency, we might want to consider uniting for our mutual benefit and take advantage of the principle of power in numbers.

Newsflash: Brigham City, Utah, in the 1800s, achieved 100% employment (around 1,000 workers) and sailed through a great recession, having their best expansion year during that recession. We can do the same, or better.

Brigham City achieved "85 percent" self-sufficiency, in other words, 85% of goods were produced locally. They worked into that by doing three things:
1. They built a central co-op store, and invited all the local farmers and tradesmen to sell their goods there.
2. The profits were used to set up cooperatives to produce goods that had been being imported.
3. The cooperatives then sold all their goods through the co-op store.

Brigham Young was so impressed with their system, that he encouraged cooperatives to be built throughout the Mormon settlements -- and they were. In fact, he saw the cooperative movement as a steppingstone to building Zion.

I'm proposing we do the same thing as Brigham City, but start it out virtually, then gradually build the community in reality. Here's one approach:
1. Establish a virtual co-op store online.
2. Sell goods produced (or purchased wholesale) by co-op members, retaining a fixed percent of the profits.
3. Use those profits to:
- Establish worker-owned cooperatives to provide jobs and produce goods to be sold in the co-op store.
- Buy land (say 40 to 250 acres),
- Develop water resources: wells, solar water stills, etc.
- Plan and plant a large "forest garden" to eventually provide most of the community’s food.
- Build the community’s first (multi-family?) home.
- Build a central warehouse for the co-op store and move its operations there.
- Start building physical facilities for the various manufacturing co-ops.
- Build more homes for those whose jobs we’ve moved on-site.
- Continue tweaking until the community is as close to 100% self-sufficiency as possible.

And that community could slowly ween itself off the grid by:
- building energy-generating equipment (windmills, solar power generators, water wheels with generators, etc.)
- building super energy-efficient homes that require only $100 of electricity a YEAR (yes, they exist),
- finding alternative means to accomplish what we typically use electricity for. One example would be the old ice house concept to store ice for ice box refrigerators. Another would be solar water heaters.

The Gentiles Are Doing it Already, Why Can't We?

"Intentional Communities" are [Gentile] settlements set up on purpose -- "places where people have chosen to share land and resources in all kinds of creative ways". There are over 200 such self-sufficiency-oriented communities in the US and more abroad. See IC.org

The most successful Intentional communities have one or two businesses (cooperatives) where the residents work. They grow and store all their own food, and find great fulfillment in living in a small, tight-knit community. I think if we Mormons set up such a community, using Brigham City's pattern, we could make them thrive much better.

Here's a video of a person who toured several intentional communities. You'll see the residents tend to be a tad... odd, but as you watch, ask yourself, "How could a group of self-sufficency/preparedness-minded Mormons make this better?"
Jesse at BuildingZion.org

“We have it to do, we can’t build up Zion sitting on a hemlock slab
singing ourselves away to everlasting bliss….”

- Apostle Lorenzo Snow

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Self-Sufficient Communities, the next level of preparedness

Postby mes5464 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:30 am

I have been wanting to do this for years.
Alma 60:36 Behold, I am Moroni, your chief captain. I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country.

FreedomWorks
captain of 10

Postby FreedomWorks » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:14 pm

mes5464 wrote:I have been wanting to do this for years.

Awesome! Now you don't have to wait any longer. :ymparty:

mes5464, as a programmer you'd appreciate this:
I'm currently programming an online decision-making tool to be used by our "Deseret Cooperative Development Board" (or some such name). This board, made up of resourceful, proactive people, will make and implement plans to launch the initial online co-op store.

- Apostle Lorenzo Snow

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby mes5464 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:36 pm

FreedomWorks wrote:

I'm currently programming an online decision-making tool to be used by our "Deseret Cooperative Development Board" (or some such name). This board, made up of resourceful, proactive people, will make and implement plans to launch the initial online co-op store.

Please remember to send me the link when it is done. If you want help just ask.
Alma 60:36 Behold, I am Moroni, your chief captain. I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Postby Desert Roses » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:40 pm

FreedomWorks wrote:

I hope you will post a link! My husband and I have talked many times of how great it would be to live in a community with an idea of self-sufficiency, as well as being faithful to the Church (and live not too far from a temple!) Don't know how realistic moving to such a community would be--we'd have to be prompted by the Spirit to do something like that, since we're moving pretty well toward self-sufficiency here in our home in Southern Utah. But I'm very interested in your project and would love to know more.
Making the desert blossom as the rose...
"Those d__d Mormons are irrigating again!"

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Postby jwharton » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:20 pm

I would love to take part in such an effort.

One thing I learned from past efforts is DO NOT have multiple families under one roof. Just don't do it.
Reality influences perception.
Perception creates reality.

FreedomWorks
captain of 10

Postby FreedomWorks » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:42 pm

jwharton wrote:I would love to take part in such an effort.

One thing I learned from past efforts is DO NOT have multiple families under one roof. Just don't do it.

Point taken! :)

- Apostle Lorenzo Snow

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Postby Sirocco » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Don't the Mormon Fundamentalists have things like that but... you know more oppressive and crazy.
I certainly think a community of likeminded people could make such a thing work, people have in the past.
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

FreedomWorks
captain of 10

Postby FreedomWorks » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:24 am

After sleeping on it, it occurred to me this morning that maybe there was an interim step between individuals prepping on their own and the self-sufficient communities proposed above. When I realized that interim level would include loose organizations of preppers, I remembered I had already proposed such an organization! I even built a website for it years ago and made a video outlining Disaster Prep Clubs.

"A Disaster Prep Club is an self-governing council of neighboring families who work together to make active preparations now so they may survive man-made or natural disasters with dignity."

Those of you interested in taking your preparations to the next level should seriously consider joining (or creating) such a club. Here's the intro video: DisasterPrepClubs.org/intro-video/

Now that I think about it, the online decision-making tool I mentioned above would be an even better way to conduct the Prep Club meetings than the simplified parliamentary procedures I recommend in the video. I think I'll work on getting the tool finished this weekend!

- Apostle Lorenzo Snow

Nebguy
captain of 50

Postby Nebguy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:10 pm

It would be cool if things were organized at a ward/branch or stake level. Probably ward/branch level as our stake center is nearly 200mi from here as it probably is elsewhere.

dlbww
captain of 100

Postby dlbww » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33 am

Army of 8
Hi, I'm new.

Postby Army of 8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Is anyone actively attempting to put together a community or cooperative with LDS principals and values in mind, preferably next to a temple? I'm interested is there anyone else?

Return to “Emergency Preparedness & Self-sufficiency”