Wilderness Survival

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by marc »

Sounds like a fun experiment! :)

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

If planning on supplying water for you and maybe your wife, you might need a lot of 2 liter plastic bottles............
I have a friend that has a distiller, uses rainwater off his roof(his wife is all gone off the holistic path and other ideas). It actually is two boxes 3 ft by 6ft, he gets about 1- 1 1/2 gal out of it a day......quite a project and he's always tinkering with it.
He cooks some great tasting chicken, beans, bread and even lasagna is his solar oven, which is my next project.
Got my Kelly Kettle today, now I'm jacked to boil some water...

Alec Deacon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Alec Deacon »

Poisonous Veggies And Fruits With High Health Risk To Your Family And Pets

The seeds of apples contain natural chemicals that are toxic to some animals. Apple seeds do contain a small amount of cyanide, which is a lethal poison, but you are protected from the toxin by the hard seed coating.

The consumption of grapes and raisins presents a potential health threat to dogs. Their toxicity to dogs can cause the animal to develop acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of urine production).

The toxic compound lectin, is present in many varieties of common bean but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans.

Read more info at MyFamilySurvivalPlan.com about Poisonous Veggies and Fruits

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I found some more cool videos by this guy (who was on one of the those Naked And Afraid shows), who has a lot of experience with primitive survival skills.

Making a primitive bow:
Making the Spear and (Atlatl) Spear Thrower :

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I never get bored of Dave Canterbury's videos. He explains things very simply.

https://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and for the eastern woodlands:

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

If you scroll up to the first video I posted on this page, you'll see this guy built a nice hut primitively. He hasn't made a lot of videos, but he's gaining a lot of attention, at least in the bush/wilderness survival community. His newest video was posted last week. In the info section:
Published on Jul 3, 2015
It has been raining here quite a bit in what should normally be the dry season. The wattle and daub hut is standing up well despite this (see video). However this has held back some other projects I had planned. So I decided to build a wood shed across the creek in Eucalypt woodland (where the best firewood is). Keeping firewood dry cuts down the amount of firewood needed and decreases the amount of smoke produced. Also keeping the firewood in an external structure saves room in the hut and leaves no place for snakes and rodents to hide. The shed is simply a 1 x 1 m thatched hut with a lower area used to store fire wood (1 cubic meter) and an upper level for storing fire starting equipment (fire sticks, tinder, stone blades for carving new holes in the sticks). I built it using wood from a previous hut to save effort and trees. It is tied together with lawyer cane and thatched with large palm leaves- These are a poorer quality than those in the mountain and will probably need replacement in a few months. I keep a large stone in front of the shed to break firewood over to save effort. Also while looking for fire wood I came across a fallen native sting-less bee hive. I ate some honey from it and stored it on the fireplace out side the hut. This keeps it sheltered from the rain, exposes it to morning sun to keep it warm and keeps it away from ants. In return perhaps the bees will produce honey (1 kg/year) and wax that I may use.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Haha, I dug up this picture of me at 16 years old. That was a fun day! I think that camping out in the wilderness, mountain climbing, rappelling and just being out in the wild was my favorite part about scouting.
Attachments
rappelling.jpg
rappelling.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 1931 times

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

My SAS Survival Guide arrived. Well worth the $$! Looking for the others to show up. I really enjoy reading up on primitive skills, self sufficiency, etc. Definitely a worthwhile hobby.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

All that's been posted is interesting, but I wonder, how many of you know how to identify and use plants in the wild for food and medicine? Eating bugs isn't really the best idea, and planning on killing enough animals may not be always the best option. If you have someone pregnant, what do you use to manage pain and prevent hemorrhage? If you sprain an ankle or other joint, what do you use to help it heal more quickly so that you can move on? How do you take care of a burn or wound? If you don't know how to identify the medicinal plants, and the ones that are good for food, you may not be as prepared as you think you are. An excellent book on this is Herbs to the Rescue by Kurt King. It is a very, very basic guide, but a well-written guide by a man who emphasizes how to use plants in the wild in survival situations.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Desert Roses wrote:All that's been posted is interesting, but I wonder, how many of you know how to identify and use plants in the wild for food and medicine? Eating bugs isn't really the best idea, and planning on killing enough animals may not be always the best option. If you have someone pregnant, what do you use to manage pain and prevent hemorrhage? If you sprain an ankle or other joint, what do you use to help it heal more quickly so that you can move on? How do you take care of a burn or wound? If you don't know how to identify the medicinal plants, and the ones that are good for food, you may not be as prepared as you think you are. An excellent book on this is Herbs to the Rescue by Kurt King. It is a very, very basic guide, but a well-written guide by a man who emphasizes how to use plants in the wild in survival situations.
There's an entire section in the SAS Book dedicated to Healh/Medicine, which discusses a wide range of treatments from maggots for cleaning wounds to urine as antiseptic for washing wounds to identifying medicinal plants (uses for internal/external/topical applications) and using them for decoctions, infusions, poultices, etc. and tons more. This book is 700+ pages. I'm more and more impressed with it. Still looking forward to my other three books arriving. It's a standard paperback size book so it will fit easily in my pack for reference.