Getting back to roots

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Getting back to roots

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

So here is something that I've considered for a while:

http://farmschool.org/learn.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The summary of it is: Spend a year with hands on learning and farming experience. Learn to build a sustainable farm and also receiving training on farming business. $18,000 including room+board.

While it doesn't have to be this exact school or program, this is something I've thought about because:
1. I've wanted to be a homesteader since I was little(strange life ambition), I used to check out books at the library as a kid on the subject(along with building secret bases :p )
2. I'm a city kid, so I have little experience and no place to actually learn anything on my own.
3. I'm young, single, with few worldy possesions. I could potentially sell what little I have and do this.

I'm looking for comments, suggestions, alternatives to this. But basically what I want is:
1. Receive an education and experience in setting up a sustainable homestead.
2. Learn to run a business out of that homestead in order to supply supplimental income.

I'm a little crazy, but hey, I have nothing else going for me in life right now but the gospel. This has been a dream of mine, but I never quiet gave into it because I always kinda went with the crowd as far as getting a traditional college education(which hasn't worked for me). :-?

light-one
captain of 100

Re: Getting back to roots

Post by light-one »

I know a farmer that will hire you and pay you.

No need to pay $18,000

Actually, there are probably hundreds or thousands of farmers that would let you work for a lot less than $18,000

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

light-one wrote:I know a farmer that will hire you and pay you.

No need to pay $18,000

Actually, there are probably hundreds or thousands of farmers that would let you work for a lot less than $18,000
Something I've considered. The only problem I see with that is covering all my bases as far as getting the education I'm looking for(business, marketing, etc).

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Phoenixstar117 wrote:
light-one wrote:I know a farmer that will hire you and pay you.

No need to pay $18,000

Something I've considered. The only problem I see with that is covering all my bases as far as getting the education I'm looking for(business, marketing, etc).
The education you want will be there when you come back in a year. My husband spent many years in the military, and did an MBA at the age of 52. He was able to easily find employment with his MBA (from Uof Phoenix). On the other hand, learning to farm might be the most important thing you can do. Trust your instincts (often otherwise known as the Spirit). ;)

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Im 36. And doing what you want to. I own a 124 acer farm/ ranch. That is out of town. I'm building my own home on the property and starting to develop the land. I'm planting permaculture style farm. We have 7 cows as of now and they will be increasing the herd themselfs. With permaculture you grow in a way where it is self sustained. It waters itself. It organizes it's self with some human help at first. Then it functions as a forest. They call it a food forest as almost every plant and tree you plant is edible.
I have a GED edu. And I managed to pay cash for my place.

My wife and I lived in a yurt(glorified tent) for the first 4 years of marrage. While we saved our money. After 4 years we bought a 20 acre property with an old farm house on it. Fixed it up and sold it to buy our 124 acre farm with 35 acres of irragation right on a beautiful resivor with a mile and a half of frontage. Views to die for. And mountains out our back door. We see deer and big horn sheep daily.

Looking back on my life. I know I could be where I currently am if I had made the choices back then to live simply and within my means. At the age of 26. Easy.

My advise. Cut up all your credit cards. Never apply for credit or loans on anything. If you have a car loan sale it and get something to can buy with cash.
Do not go into debt for anything.

Live in a tent or with your parents if your not married tell you have enough to buy land.

I have learned ways to build and nice comfortable home for cheap. As in 1800sq ft for under 10,000$

I consider myself retired. As what I do is not work to me. I haven't had a job for going on 3 years. Yet money always flows in.

I'm on the verge taking over a 930 acre farm next to my property.

Remember the wealth breed wealth. Debt breeds more debt. You are wealthy if you own anything and have no debt.

The key to happiness isant having more it's simply wanting less.

The lord will always lift up those who are low. Choose simplicity. And you will see what the lord will do with you.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Muerte Rosa wrote:I say do it. You can learn a lot farming....that almost auto corrected to farting hahaha.
Sometimes you just need to let the auto-correct roll!

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

jockeybox wrote:
Muerte Rosa wrote:I say do it. You can learn a lot farming....that almost auto corrected to farting hahaha.
Sometimes you just need to let the auto-correct roll!
My fav song to make fun is from Disney's movie Frozen .

Let it go. Let it go. The smell never bothered me anyways.

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

Ezra wrote:Im 36. And doing what you want to. I own a 124 acer farm/ ranch. That is out of town. I'm building my own home on the property and starting to develop the land. I'm planting permaculture style farm. We have 7 cows as of now and they will be increasing the herd themselfs. With permaculture you grow in a way where it is self sustained. It waters itself. It organizes it's self with some human help at first. Then it functions as a forest. They call it a food forest as almost every plant and tree you plant is edible.

My wife and I lived in a yurt(glorified tent) for the first 4 years of marrage. While we saved our money. After 4 years we bought a 20 acre property with an old farm house on it. Fixed it up and sold it to buy our 124 acre farm with 35 acres of irragation right on a beautiful resivor with a mile and a half of frontage. Views to die for. And mountains out our back door. We see deer and big horn sheep daily.

Looking back on my life. I know I could be where I currently am if I had made the choices back then to live simply and within my means. At the age of 26. Easy.

My advise. Cut up all your credit cards. Never apply for credit or loans on anything. If you have a car loan sale it and get something to can buy with cash.

Live in a tent or with your parents if your not married tell you have enough to buy land.

I have learned ways to build and nice comfortable home for cheap. As in 1800sq ft for under 10,000$

I consider myself retired. As what I do is not work to me. I haven't had a job for going on 3 years. Yet money always flows in.

Remember the wealth breed wealth. Debt breeds more debt. You are wealthy if you own anything and have no debt.

The lord will always lift up those who are low. Choose simplicity. And you will see what the lord will do with you.
Thank you for that.
This is actually what I'm looking for and it's encouraging to share your story.
I have some debt and I'm almost done with paying it off(credit card). I don't have the money to afford this however and after more praying I found that the Lord wouldn't approve of me investing so much money into something which I don't need to pay. It was only after really accepting I can't afford this that I came accross some additional resources about apprenticeships/internships here:
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/internships/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doing a search showed me that there are a lot of farms that run internships which offer to teach you in exchange for your labor. They usually offer room+full board. Some even offer stipends up to $750 a month which is the highest I've seen so far. One of my favorites I've found so far even offers health insurance or up to $100 off your premium if you choose to stay with your current provider along with workmans comp. Each apprenticeship differs of course. One I found was for an artesian goat cheese dairy. Another for a general farm management. There are a lot of options to consider, so I'm weighing them out.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Get a job on a farm. If you are any good at work, and at farming, you will move up. But do it. Sitting around thinking about these things doesn't get it done.
But like Ezra says, pay off your debts and start saving money. You need some money to invest if any opportunity does come up, such as getting your own farm/land.
Work two or three jobs now, then maybe you can relax when you are old. But now is the time to do it, when you are young and can do it.
Look closely at the good advice and example Ezra has set.
dc

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on March 1st, 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

No, I think that is absolutely true. It is like hitting a brick wall. Let me tell you another thing about those Mexicans, as little as they are paid, they send some of their pay home to Mexico regularly. Billions of dollars per year.
But I also know that there is one way to get a job. Know someone or meet someone.
It may help to speak Spanish. They need supervisors and line bosses for those Mexicans.
He must somehow meet someone who can get him in in a higher position.
And it will not be by sending in a resume. They get dozens of resumes.
It will be by talking to someone somewhere. Just a casual conversation and it happens that the conversation is with a farm owner, or supervisor, etc., who, having seen many resumes, and having done some interviews was impressed with none of the candidates.
But just in conversation with your close family member comes to the conclusion that a. this individual has a good attitude, is competent, and could do the job, and b. that he is someone who they would like to work with.
I have seen this happen more than once. And it has happened to me, as well.
How or why this occurs, I don't know. It's divine intervention, or what. But it happens. My uncle had a life long career, quite prosperous thru' such a casual encounter.
I have had numerous jobs and contracts thru' such casual encounters.
They call it networking today. I think it used to be known as word of mouth. Or serendipity.
dc

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

passionflower wrote:OK, so I absolutely MUST have someone reply to this post of mine. So if you can, tell me what information you have.

I have a close member of my family who desperately wants to work on a farm. He is a college graduate, as well. BUT there is nothing, and I mean nothing out there for him. You guys up there make it sound like farms are begging for help , and he, a very good worker who grew up farming, lives in Utah and says right now there are no farming jobs in Utah, and very little nation wide. Illegal Mexicans have virtually taken over this area of employment. Even on the big commercial farm he grew up on, the basic work is done by mexicans. He can not buy a farm of his own, because Utah law says no one can get a loan to buy a farm or farm land without having several years (3-5? I think he said ) of experience working on a farm as an adult. And farms, dairys and the like cost millions of dollars. He is married with three kids, an RM, a college grad, who works with no less than absolute devotion, without looking for some unreasonable salary, yet an illegal mexican can beat him out for a job. He says this is because, referring to his own family farm(which is very large, very successful, and well known ) that mexicans like this don't require benefits, days off, and can't strike. and are just plain cheaper all the way around, and the government pays for their healthcare, etc. So its' like a force of slave laborers, and a guy like him can't compete with it.

So are you guys saying this is not true? Where ( preferably in Utah ) can he get a job farming, and even "move up" as David13 says. He would also want to one day own the farm he works on.

If you have a different story than he has, DO TELL!!!!!
So, just an update for this, since the post came back up to recent updated. I did get the internship I wanted. I'll be starting on May first. Most farming internships start in Spring, which is obvious. Just go to the previous mentioned webiste above https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/internships/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one I'll be working on will include room and board and $180 a week pay. So far, I've been in contact with them, got the position, and will be going there next month.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Sounds good. I was not at all familiar with any of that.
They did recommend that you visit the farm first. On any farm workers living conditions can be spartan at best. One mentions live in your own tent there.
It can be done as long as you know what it will be.
I did not see if you have to pay tuition or anything like that, or you just are paid $180 a week.
In any case, make yourself useful out there. Let them see they get more than their money's worth with you. Good luck.
dc

KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

Post by KMCopeland »

Ezra wrote:Im 36. And doing what you want to. I own a 124 acer farm/ ranch. That is out of town. I'm building my own home on the property and starting to develop the land. I'm planting permaculture style farm. We have 7 cows as of now and they will be increasing the herd themselfs. With permaculture you grow in a way where it is self sustained. It waters itself. It organizes it's self with some human help at first. Then it functions as a forest. They call it a food forest as almost every plant and tree you plant is edible.

Impressive.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

David13 wrote:No, I think that is absolutely true. It is like hitting a brick wall. Let me tell you another thing about those Mexicans, as little as they are paid, they send some of their pay home to Mexico regularly. Billions of dollars per year.
But I also know that there is one way to get a job. Know someone or meet someone.
It may help to speak Spanish. They need supervisors and line bosses for those Mexicans.
He must somehow meet someone who can get him in in a higher position.
And it will not be by sending in a resume. They get dozens of resumes.
It will be by talking to someone somewhere. Just a casual conversation and it happens that the conversation is with a farm owner, or supervisor, etc., who, having seen many resumes, and having done some interviews was impressed with none of the candidates.
But just in conversation with your close family member comes to the conclusion that a. this individual has a good attitude, is competent, and could do the job, and b. that he is someone who they would like to work with.
I have seen this happen more than once. And it has happened to me, as well.
How or why this occurs, I don't know. It's divine intervention, or what. But it happens. My uncle had a life long career, quite prosperous thru' such a casual encounter.
I have had numerous jobs and contracts thru' such casual encounters.
They call it networking today. I think it used to be known as word of mouth. Or serendipity.
dc
Last edited by passionflower on March 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Phoenixstar117 wrote:
passionflower wrote:OK, so I absolutely MUST have someone reply to this post of mine. So if you can, tell me what information you have.

I have a close member of my family who desperately wants to work on a farm. He is a college graduate, as well. BUT there is nothing, and I mean nothing out there for him. You guys up there make it sound like farms are begging for help , and he, a very good worker who grew up farming, lives in Utah and says right now there are no farming jobs in Utah, and very little nation wide. Illegal Mexicans have virtually taken over this area of employment. Even on the big commercial farm he grew up on, the basic work is done by mexicans. He can not buy a farm of his own, because Utah law says no one can get a loan to buy a farm or farm land without having several years (3-5? I think he said ) of experience working on a farm as an adult. And farms, dairys and the like cost millions of dollars. He is married with three kids, an RM, a college grad, who works with no less than absolute devotion, without looking for some unreasonable salary, yet an illegal mexican can beat him out for a job. He says this is because, referring to his own family farm(which is very large, very successful, and well known ) that mexicans like this don't require benefits, days off, and can't strike. and are just plain cheaper all the way around, and the government pays for their healthcare, etc. So its' like a force of slave laborers, and a guy like him can't compete with it.

So are you guys saying this is not true? Where ( preferably in Utah ) can he get a job farming, and even "move up" as David13 says. He would also want to one day own the farm he works on.

So, just an update for this, since the post came back up to recent updated. I did get the internship I wanted. I'll be starting on May first. Most farming internships start in Spring, which is obvious. Just go to the previous mentioned webiste above https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/internships/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one I'll be working on will include room and board and $180 a week pay. So far, I've been in contact with them, got the position, and will be going there next month.
Congratulations, Phoenixstar117! You will have to keep us all informed on what this turns out to be and how it goes. And you can always get a job on this future farm, if and when this family member of ours dreams' comes true, if I have anything to say about it, that is. After all, any friend of Booker T's is a friend of mine... ( and I told him if he hires any illegal mexicans on his farm, I'll disown him!)

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

passionflower wrote:
Phoenixstar117 wrote:

Congratulations, Phoenixstar117! You will have to keep us all informed on what this turns out to be and how it goes. And you can always get a job on this future farm, if and when this family member of ours dreams' comes true, if I have anything to say about it, that is. After all, any friend of Booker T's is a friend of mine... ( and I told him if he hires any illegal mexicans on his farm, I'll disown him!)
Yeah I'll definitly keep people up to date on this. As far as living conditions are concerned, I get my own private bedroom in the farmhouse basement is what I understand. I will have enough room to lug my bookshelf and computer desk(so I'm taking freedom forum with me :ymparty: )

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »